Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2006, 02:01   #61  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
the download server is not down but it is now on SourceForge.
http://www.sf.net/projects/megui
OK, thanks. FYI the "Download Latest Build" link at the top of this thread points to the old location.
Old 11th January 2006, 02:02   #62  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Support for this was added in 0.2.3.1030. Select Quality 26 in the codec config, and then press autoencode, and press No Target Size (use profile setting). Voila!
Cool. Thanks, and sorry for raising the false alarm.
Old 11th January 2006, 15:15   #63  |  Link
FFWD

MeGUI doesn not seem to remember the custom size I enter. Every time I have to make a new DVD backup, the custom size defaults to 700MB.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:12   #64  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFWD
MeGUI doesn not seem to remember the custom size I enter. Every time I have to make a new DVD backup, the custom size defaults to 700MB.
MeGUI Bug-Report Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 17:17   #65  |  Link
FFWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r
I don't know if MeGUI is supposed to remember a custom size (say 480 MB) after closing the program.

If it's supposed to remember the custom size after closing, then it's a bug.

If it's not supposed to remember the custom size after closing, then it's a feature request.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:22   #66  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I don't know if MeGUI is supposed to remember a custom size (say 480 MB) after closing the program.
It is not. And considering there are 3 places you can enter custom sizes (bitrate calculator, auto-mode window, one click encoder - all completely independent of each other) I cannot even place your feature request.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:25   #67  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

Oh i thought it could be saved in a profile.... my bad
Old 12th January 2006, 10:22   #68  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Make a new compile.bat file for .NET 2.0
Uh, what's wrong with the current one?
Old 12th January 2006, 12:29   #69  |  Link
berrinam

The current one being the one from version 0.2.3.2008? Well, I posted that request before then, and then I (partially) solved it myself. However, that one requires a specific build to be installed, which works, but doesn't seem the right way to do it.
Old 12th January 2006, 12:39   #70  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, I kinda liked the approach of making people set the proper path.. that way it works for any kind of version (obviously using the 1.1 framework it will no longer compile, but that's another issue). And I've always wondered about the setenv.bat.. I've never had any use for it. And it's not like there's going to be a new framework every two weeks.. the 1.1 service release didn't change anything in the path either.
Old 12th January 2006, 19:46   #71  |  Link
The Link

Thank you for including "Minimize to tray"! It works fine but the way it's implemented is a bit "unorthodox" imho. What about just making "View-->Minimize to Tray" tickable: If it's ticked and you minimize the window it will be sent to tray and otherwise it will just minimize to the taskbar. I think it's a bit inconvenient to select an item in the menu and then the whole window disappears (though it of course does what it's supposed to).

Old 12th January 2006, 22:44   #72  |  Link
berrinam

Do you think it is worth making the main form video input be able to open any supported file (eg vob, d2v, avs, etc), and then redirect this to the correct window/way of processing?

Secondly: Is it worth changing each of the filetype filters so that they also have an 'All supported files' filter (some of them do, some of them don't, and it's not consistent)? Perhaps also make this one selected by default, so when opening the file dialog, the user can see exactly what files he/she can open?
Old 12th January 2006, 23:12   #73  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
Do you think it is worth making the main form video input be able to open any supported file (eg vob, d2v, avs, etc), and then redirect this to the correct window/way of processing?
Might be tricky, but if you can do it in a robust way it would be a nice feature. Note: if one of the cases you write handles AVI files (e.g. by creating a 1-line AVS script), then that solves the 2nd half of my feature request about rendering slow AVS scripts before encoding.

Quote:
Secondly: Is it worth changing each of the filetype filters so that they also have an 'All supported files' filter (some of them do, some of them don't, and it's not consistent)? Perhaps also make this one selected by default, so when opening the file dialog, the user can see exactly what files he/she can open?
Definitely. I've been meaning to suggest this.

----
I'm working on a friendly context menu for changing the status of Queue entries, so please mark that request appropriately.
Old 12th January 2006, 23:27   #74  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
Might be tricky, but if you can do it in a robust way it would be a nice feature. Note: if one of the cases you write handles AVI files (e.g. by creating a 1-line AVS script), then that solves the 2nd half of my feature request about rendering slow AVS scripts before encoding.
Actually, that is done somewhat through the AviSynth Script Creator, but once again we see the problem with the GUI that I am trying to address through this: it has many features, and can do many things, but all of the different functions are in different places, and the names aren't always obvious, so unless you are very familiar with the program, you could perhaps never realise that it has what you want.

Quote:
I'm working on a friendly context menu for changing the status of Queue entries, so please mark that request appropriately.
Will that context menu also have delete job, load job, and up/down?
I've updated the list.
Old 13th January 2006, 07:09   #75  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Posted the patch in the main Dev thread. v1.0 of my menu looks like:
Code:
> Abort this job
> Load into MeGUI
> Change Status >>> Postponed
                  > Waiting
The menu items turn disabled and/or checked as appropriate. Multiselect is supported.

I don't think up/down is useful here...if you wanted to move something 3 slots down, for instance, it would take 6 clicks (each click in a different location) instead of 4 with the regular button. I considered adding Move To Top / Bottom but that seems like a very rare case, not worth clogging the menu.
Old 13th January 2006, 09:00   #76  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I completely agree with Richard on up/down.. it would be counterproductive to have this in the popup.. it would be extremely cumbersome to move a job up/down multiple positions without the up/down buttons.
Old 13th January 2006, 11:50   #77  |  Link
berrinam

Yep, my bad.
Old 13th January 2006, 17:13   #78  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

during my experiments with VFR I discovered that it would be useful, if one could just add a job in MeGUI, that just "plays" the avs files. DeDup for example needs an extra pass before you can render your video.

heres the link to the thread i started, which deals with this topic:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105451

i read that you don't plan to support more than 2 audio-streams.
is there a possibility to support more than 2 streams at least for the bitrate calculator? currently i need to add 5 audio-streams for this project
i don't use MeGUI for audio-processing, i only need the calc for the bitrate to be set.

if you don't plan to implement this request, could you give me the link of a bitratecalc that has this feature, if you know one?
Old 13th January 2006, 17:36   #79  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
during my experiments with VFR I discovered that it would be useful, if one could just add a job in MeGUI, that just "plays" the avs files.
This is equivalent to the first part of my request. That is, when I make a job type that renders out AVS scripts, it'll solve your request trivially: just set the output to null (avs2avi -o n).
Old 13th January 2006, 22:33   #80  |  Link
AgentX

First of all, MeGUI is really a great encoder GUI.
I was using GordianKnot for years, but right now MeGUI is light years ahead.

Nevertheless, there is some stuff that I'm missing and would make it even better.

General:
  • In video preview it should be possible to jump to a given frame-number.
  • Possibility to change Video Input/Output filename directly. Instead of having to open the browser. Useful when you just make tests with several bitrates and you want to add that number into the output filename.
  • Not sure if this was discussed before: Changing the video profile does change the previous bitrate. Well, when I was doing profile comparision tests, this was very annoying. In my opinion, the bitrate value should not be stored in the profiles.
    Or another solution would be, to put an extra bitrate selection box in the main window with a checkbox for fixing it. So a change of the video profile wouldn't alter it.
  • Compressibility indication. Compressibility test, like in GordianKnot.

Bitrate calculator:
  • Should retain values entered. At the moment, everything is set to default values when you leave the dialog, so during tests I would have to enter my custom CD size, select previously coded audio files.
  • Should permit entering other files in calculation (like booklet pictures, media player, installers, well everything else I want to put on the disc).
    This would also permit to include more that two audio streams in the calculations, just prepare them and add the files here (not completly correct as the frame overhead isn't included, but should work fine).

AviSynth script generator:
  • Aspect Ratio error indication in Resolution Crop. So you can see if it would be better to cut of another row or column or if even another resolution would fit better. Have a look at GordianKnots Resolution-Crop settings to see what I mean.
  • Width- and Height-Zoom indication. So you can actually see if you oversize the output video compared to the input. Like in GK.

Last edited by AgentX; 13th January 2006 at 22:39.
Closed Thread