Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 3rd August 2003, 14:42   #1  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Button Over Video on selfmade project doesn't work

Hi guys!

First of all, I’ve read every Button Over Video Guide I could find, but still there are some „slight problems“.

I’m no working on any backup of an existing DVD, but on my own projekt where I’d like to implement some kind of white rabbit feature.

Here are the two problems I’ve got:

1.)

I want to include the white rabbit feature in some trailers of a trailer collection I’m working on. Therefore I first added a second chapterpoint to each trailer which should have the feature. I want the feature to be available on the first 10 seconds of the trailer. After that I made a subpicture track, put the subpicture between the two chapter points (start time 1 second after the first cell and end time 1 second before the next cell plays).

Now my problem: the feature itself works (button linking etc.), but the subpicture doesn’t. During the 8 seconds it should be displayed it isn’t displayed, although the button works! But the rest of the clip, where it isn’t in the subtitle track it’s displayed! I don’t know why…

2.)

Next problem is. Using only on source for the clip (so no copy of it in the track editor), I can’t “disable” the button over video feature, because the subs have forced start and are therefore always present (including the highlight layer). Therefore I analyzed the Matrix DVD. And here’s my “understanding problem”.

The Main movie is at least 3 times included on the disc (by reading the disc structure), but physically it’s only one time on the disc.

So I tried to put the trailers which use the feature again into the scenario, but without the subtitle track (subtitle availability flag turned off). But Scenarist puts the trailers physically twice on the disc!

So how can I manage to achive the same result as on the Matrix DVD?

Please help me!
Crazyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2003, 22:25   #2  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Hasn't anyone any idea? I'm really stuck at the moment...
Old 4th August 2003, 13:03   #3  |  Link
auenf

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazyjoe
Hasn't anyone any idea? I'm really stuck at the moment...
waiting longer than 8hrs before complaining would be the first idea

2nd idea would be to specify what app you are trying to use.

3rd idea would be to read over the ancient white rabbit thread

Enf...
Old 4th August 2003, 20:14   #4  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Quote:
Originally posted by auenf
waiting longer than 8hrs before complaining would be the first idea
Sorry for that, but I really tried everything I could on the project. So I was a little desperate...

Quote:

2nd idea would be to specify what app you are trying to use.
Sorry again. I'm using Scenarist.

Quote:

3rd idea would be to read over the ancient white rabbit thread

Enf...
I've read every "ancient white rabbit thread" I could find, but no one seems to have the same problem or at least doesn't seem to be curious about the amount of discspace three movies take... (my Matrix question)

Greets

Joe
Old 4th August 2003, 20:16   #5  |  Link
GM006

The Matrix was seamlessly branched. As far as I know, Scenarist nor Maestro can do this. You can "trick" Scenarist into seamless branching, but I have yet to succeed in doing that without having more than one physical copy of the movie. If you find a way, let me know.
GM006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 20:24   #6  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM006
The Matrix was seamlessly branched. As far as I know, Scenarist nor Maestro can do this. You can "trick" Scenarist into seamless branching, but I have yet to succeed in doing that without having more than one physical copy of the movie. If you find a way, let me know.
Yes, I know that Matrix is seamlessly branched. But my thought was that "the trick" has to be done somehow with the authoring software, and with what other software than Scenarist? There must be a way for using a single copy of a video more than once...

I want to use this method to actually be able to turn the white rabbit feature off.
Old 4th August 2003, 20:29   #7  |  Link
GM006

to turn "off" the white rabbit feature, add a 2nd subtitle with the display/selection/action colors at 0%. of course use a command in your menu set subtitle track 2 to be on, but with no colors to display, the user will never see them. And yes there is software that can seamlessly branch but its about $60,000. its made by toshiba a believe, but i could be wrong...
Old 4th August 2003, 20:40   #8  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Quote:
to turn "off" the white rabbit feature, add a 2nd subtitle with the display/selection/action colors at 0%. of course use a command in your menu set subtitle track 2 to be on, but with no colors to display, the user will never see them. And yes there is software that can seamlessly branch but its about $60,000. its made by toshiba a believe, but i could be wrong...
Interesting. I didn't know that with the Toshiba software...

I had the same idea to use a second subtitletrack with blank pictures. But the problem is, that each subpicture in that track needs to have forced start. So although the subs are not visible the buttons will always be there and can be triggered by the user.

And beside that there's still my problem, that my white rabbit subs are displayed at the wrong times and further more at times where they aren't existing in the subtitle track!
Old 5th August 2003, 17:49   #9  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

After a little research on the net I came to the conclusion, that seamless branching is the only feature of the dvd specs, that is not supported by Scenarist.

Sonic moaned about implementing that feature in Scenarist (that results in the disabled button "New Story" in the track editor), but actually they didn't do it. Maybe version 3 will have that feature (plus the long wished "Undo" function ).

So, no need to worry there, but I still couldn't find a solution to my subpicture problem...
Old 6th August 2003, 19:59   #10  |  Link
GM006

add a blank/dummy sub track. problem solved.
Old 6th August 2003, 21:57   #11  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Quote:
add a blank/dummy sub track. problem solved.
But my problem isn't the second dummy sub track "to turn off the white rabbit", but the problem, that the white rabbit subs aren't displayed proberly! I really don't see why!

When the white rabbit subtitle track is active, the subs are NOT displayed exactly at those points, where they are present in the track, and are displayed exactly on those points of the track where the track is empty!
Old 6th August 2003, 22:24   #12  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

I experimanted a little bit and found out the following:

First i turned off "forced selected button", but that showed no effect. After that i thought about the fact, that the subpic is invisible when displayed, but visible, when not displayed. First of all i didn't find out, why it's displayed when it shouldn't.

But in the beginning I set the contrast of the selection color to 0%. So i tried to set it to 100% and to a different color than the display color, and say what, now i saw, that the subpic immediatly changes to the selection color when displayed! Further more it stays in the selection color, when it shouldn't be displayed (so, the rest of the track).

To summarise it: when selection color contrast is set to 0% the subpic isn't displayed, but displayed in the display color when it isn't even present in the track. When the selection contrast is set to 100% and a different color then the display color (for testing purpose), it's displayed in the selection color from the beginning, and stays there till the end of the track.

Does anyone know what causes this really wired behaviour??
Old 8th August 2003, 10:42   #13  |  Link
Crazyjoe
Elvis Imitator

Finally i found some kind of solution. It's not a really elegant one, but it works, that's the important thing.

I just insertet a blank subpicture for the rest of the track (after the 10 seconds) and that works now. This overrides the display of the first subpicture after it should have disappeared.

As I said, not very elegant, but at the moment the only solution I could think of.

But if anyone happens to know what causes my problem, please tell me what i did wrong!

Greets

Joe