Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2007, 06:13   #1  |  Link
kwanbis

60% DVD quality (dvdshrink) vs Xvid.

I started to encode my lost DVDs to Xvid. I started encoding at 350MB per episode. Each episode on the DVD is about 1500 MB. So my question is, would it be better a DVD encoded by dvdshrink to 60% if it size (to fit on 4.5), or it would be better to have four xvid avis at about 1100 MB? And what about 700MB xvids? or 500? My idea is to see what should i better encode to. Yes, i know i can just encode them myself, but it takes 3 hours on my machine to encode at any given size, so, i was wondering if somebody already knew, before starting to test.

Last edited by kwanbis; 2nd April 2007 at 06:22.
kwanbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:10   #2  |  Link
jeffy

Well, I would just cut a sample of the single episode, eg. 4 minutes out of 40 and encode this sample to 1/10*desired size, eg. 140/70/50/110 MB (full target size=1400/700/500/1100 MB).

It will take you 1/10 of the time needed otherwise.

Cut with:
MPG2CUT2
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Mpg2Cut2
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:56   #3  |  Link
ToS_Maverick
x264 Tester

i'd recommend 550 mb/ep to fit the entire season on 3 dvds. use at least the MPEG matrix, or a custom one, with comp-checks determine which resolution is apropirate. i think 768x432 should be possible.
ToS_Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:48   #4  |  Link
kwanbis

what is the MPEG matrix? i should have said that i'm using AutoGK.
kwanbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 11:50   #5  |  Link
SergeyFedosov

By the way, quality depends not only on the bitrate alone, but also on the resolution and framerate. As a brief guidance: the value 0.2 - 0.25 bit/(pixel*frame) would definitely give a good result for Xvid or DivX compression. Speaking generally, Xvid quality/compression is better than that of DVDShrink. The only reason to use DVDShrink is easiness of playing on a standalone DVD.
SergeyFedosov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 22:12   #6  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanbis View Post
what is the MPEG matrix? i should have said that i'm using AutoGK.
Hi,

H263 (low-mid range ) and MPEG (mid-high range) are the 2 Mpeg4 standards matrixes.
Custom matrixes (or CQM) are non-standards Cqm used for specific situations.
AutoGK uses the standards ones with the ESS profile and customs ones for the MTK profile: Jawor1Cd for low-mid range and EQMV2 (sharp matrix) for mid-high range.
Depending on the matrix you will get softer/sharper images and more compressible/less compressible (more bits/less bits) results.

From the AGK tutorial:
Quote:
MTK/Sigma based standalones. The difference to the previous option is only usage of custom matrices for XviD. VBV buffer control (in the form of HT profiles) is enabled as well by this setting.
- "Force Sharp Matrix" option ensures that AutoGK will not use soft matrix no matter what. Its most useful when doing 700Mb or less encodes when ordinarily AutoGK won't use sharp matrix at all (ONLY XVID)
Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote