Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 27th October 2009, 16:49   #1  |  Link
valnar

What works and doesn't work with Windows 7?

Most of my concerns lie with this forum and the AVSForum. Multimedia and encoding applications have kept me on Windows XP for years.

Has anyone gathered a list yet of what popular applications talked about on Doom9 work with Windows 7 "out of the box"? What ones need tweaking? And which ones just don't work at all?

If not, maybe this thread can be for that... I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into if I purchase Windows 7. I've already been reading a bit about the issues with codecs. I like my ffdshow, MPC Home Cinema, and MKV support. What seamlessness do I give up in Win7?
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:18   #2  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

The list of "what doesnt work" would be very small. The only thing that needs a tweak is if you want to use ffdshow for DirectShowSource(). Otherwise everything else works "out of the box"
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:50   #3  |  Link
stax76

There is some discussion here about a tool to tweak DirectShow to prevent it to prefer Microsoft codecs if I understood correctly. I'm using Win 7 since about two month and did not need this tool so far.

There is some pixelation issue with renderers, EVR is the only one working, happens only with certain drivers and cards. VLC is also effected but they announced a fix, no problem with custom presenters.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:59   #4  |  Link
valnar

So things like DVD Rebuilder, HDConvertX, AnyDVD, AVISynth, Haali Media splitter, PowerDVD and the like work without issues? I seem to recall a few threads about problems getting things to work with Win7.
Old 28th October 2009, 01:08   #5  |  Link
stax76

I only know threads related AviSynth, 32bit version works fine on Win 7 32bit as well as 64bit for the vast majority of users, there are a couple of users having problems but the same can be said for any Windows version.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:05   #6  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I've yet to come across anything that doesn't work on Windows 7 x64!

~MiSfit
Old 29th October 2009, 04:17   #7  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
I've yet to come across anything that doesn't work on Windows 7 x64!

~MiSfit
same
only thing was UAC prevented dragging and dropping into applications...
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 12:54   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Sama View Post
UAC prevented dragging and dropping into applications...
That is for "elevated" processes only. And it makes sense that you can drop data from arbitrary processdx into an "elevated" one

What I find kind of annoying is that Win7 claims that the application didn't install properly with almost any installer you run. The message always appears shortly after the installer completed. Of course the application did install properly. So you need to discard the warning every time. Not a real problem, but it may confuse/scare inexperienced users more than it helps. Win7 even claimed the Delphi 7.0 Professional has known compatibility problems. I ignored the warning, installed it anyway and it runs perfectly fine for me ^^

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th October 2009 at 13:01.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 18:36   #9  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
That is for "elevated" processes only. And it makes sense that you can drop data from arbitrary processdx into an "elevated" one
it did it to my FTP client regardless of if I elevated it or not
UAC is garbage anyways
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 21:14   #10  |  Link
stax76

I've enabled UAC and don't think it's too much of a pain. Bad designed applications in regard of UAC and also design guidelines is a bigger problem but those applications usually suck anyway in many other areas. Vista is now some years old and applications that didn't get it until now might never get it right.

Last edited by stax76; 29th October 2009 at 21:23.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:27   #11  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I've enabled UAC and don't think it's too much of a pain. Bad designed applications in regard of UAC and also design guidelines is a bigger problem but those applications usually suck anyway in many other areas. Vista is now some years old and applications that didn't get it until now might never get it right.
That's the issue. Many of the programs we all love and use now from Doom9 were designed with Win2K/XP in mind.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:58   #12  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
That's the issue. Many of the programs we all love and use now from Doom9 were designed with Win2K/XP in mind.
I'm yet to encounter a program that doesn't run on Windows 7 or that can't be convinced to work with UAC

Remember: If you really need to, you can run any application with "elevated" rights, even if the application doesn't explicitly request it.

But usually that's not needed. Applications that try to write to directories where they have no rights (e.g. "C:\Program Files") will simply be redirected to the "virtual store" by Windows 7.

Last but not least there is compatibility mode. So there are more than enough workarounds to get "legacy" applications running

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th October 2009 at 23:25.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 23:20   #13  |  Link
RickB

I installed the 64bit Windows 7 pro yesterday and have reinstalled all my programes. They all work even the old ones such as DVD dycrypter and my Adobe photoshop elements 4
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 07:42   #14  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

The installer issue has something to do with the destruct code that is run under NSIS and some early INNO. Not had any other issues with installing stuff.
Even then its just a question asking IF it installed correctly...
Old 31st October 2009, 12:08   #15  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_Undone View Post
The installer issue has something to do with the destruct code that is run under NSIS and some early INNO. Not had any other issues with installing stuff.
Even then its just a question asking IF it installed correctly...
Yes. But with blazing amount of NSIS-based installers for Windows software, they really should have noticed that the warning dialog appears far to often with no valid reason
Old 31st October 2009, 18:38   #16  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

True. I admit it does get kind of annoying. I suppose I'll bring it up b4 the first SP. See if we can get it resolved...

~DarC
Old 5th November 2009, 06:07   #17  |  Link
bondsam123

Hey guys,

In my machine real player is work while no one process is running in background, but while i am trying to work multi programming real player doesn't work properly, what to do, Please suggest me.. Thanks n advance..
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:14   #18  |  Link
Benihana

AnyDVD 6.6.0.7 : works
BeSweet 1.5.29 : command-line only, needs MSVBVM50.DLL
BeSweet 1.5.29 GUI : GUI does not work well
DGMPGDec 1.5.7 [DGIndex] : works
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 : WinXP SP3 compatibility mode
ffdshow_rev3119_20091027_clsid : works
GKnot 0.35.0 : WinXP SP3 compatibility mode
ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 : works
MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0 : works
VirtualDub 1.8.8 : works
Xvid 1.2.2-07062009 : works

Hello. I'd like to say that with my Win7 32bit, I've found that the green entries all work without any extra configurating. The orange entries need compatibility mode or other work before they'll operate. Red entries don't seem to work well at all, and you're probably better off using some other method.

BeSweet 1.5.29 works fine if you use command line. It also needs MSVBVM50.DLL to be present in it's folder, I needed to download that DLL. If you use the GUI like I used to, then it does not seem to work no matter what I do. It doesn't take long to learn the command line, so that's how I continue to use it. The GUI works if you only use the first screen. If you click "Lame 1" or the like, then none of the text or buttons will appear.

DVD Decrypter will run fine if I set it to WinXP SP3 compatibility mode. If I don't, then some of the text disappears until you hover the mouse over it.

Since I typically launch DVDDecrypter from GKnot 0.35.0, I have also set GKnot to WinXP SP3 compatibility mode. This way it doesn't bring up the UAC dialog when I launch DVDDecrypter. I think it may work fine without compatibility mode, but I've set it anyways.

In my opinion, it's worth getting Win7. It requires a little work to get old software to work right, but overall it works out just great. Hope this helps!
Old 24th February 2010, 00:58   #19  |  Link
zilog jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
BeSweet 1.5.29 GUI : GUI does not work well
The last time I tried installing this on XP a few years ago it was not cooperating at all - can't remember exactly what happened but I don't think it would encode anything. These days I just use MeGUI for audio encoding and AviSynth for processing (speed changes, etc.).
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 06:07   #20  |  Link
AlekseiV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 : WinXP SP3 compatibility mode
DVD Decrypter works fine without compatibility mode in Win7 x64 for me.

When I quit it will spam errors like
Quote:
Failed to set data for "
but everything else works fine, just quitting I need to press OK a bunch.
AlekseiV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win7 works xp doesn't