Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th January 2010, 21:28   #1  |  Link
drmih

Help on blu-ray disc types

I've just got a Limit [also badged as a Momitsu 799] Blu-Ray player to mess with (under £50 in the UK [HMV] - also plays HD and SD mkvs, avis, mp4 etc and region free for both DVD and Blu-Ray).

Works fine for bd-25 and bd-re but rejects discs at bd-9. Nothing new there. I tried an mkv on a dvd-dl and that was fine. However, AVCHD on dvd-dl also rejected. Tried AVCHD on dvd-5 and that was fine. Just encoded a blu-ray to bd-5 and that's okay (it was a simple disc and was not bd-j). I'm just encoding a 'complex' blu-ray to bd-5 and will let you know the outcome. However, any obvious ideas?

I know that the USB doesn't support NTFS, but the 8Gb mkv file must have been UDF on the dvd-dl.

Last edited by drmih; 9th January 2010 at 11:43.
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 23:02   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

"multiAVCHD" includes several very specific BluRay/AVCHD (and HD-DVD) options. Try it...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 11:43   #3  |  Link
drmih

I can now confirm that this works fine with bd-5 'complex' discs - there's obviously something needed to correct the issue with dual layer discs but if the manufacturer can do this with a firmware update then it looks like the best standalone available by a long shot - and for less than £50.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:44   #4  |  Link
drmih

A new firmware has been released for this which has corrected the dvd-dl issue - this now plays every backup that I can find - it even has the sound on the bd-9s that the Sonys can't play.

Not the build quality of a Sony but if you can still pick one up for £50 at HMV, it's a snip. The added HD playback of avis and mkvs from disc or USB is fantastic.