Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 3rd November 2009, 20:03   #201  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Viorel View Post
I really like this small GUI but sometimes it crashes right after it finishes encoding. I can see the log in the background but I get a windows error message saying that the launcher.exe stopped working. It happens randomly and I can't figure out why. What I can exclude is my hardware, it is stable and not the issue.
I can confirm this. Also it crashed few times in the middle of encoding, but after I closed crash report the gui was still working however not responsive.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 11:42   #202  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I don't see how this would be useful...

No need to use an external tool. As I have created the process(es), I already have the handles to suspend/resume them directly.

And if you click the "X" button, the encoding will be paused. Click "No" to resume...
Strange... my Postings are gone ?! i wrote a answer 2 Times ?

Pause/Suspend Mode doeasnt work here sometimes?
ACrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 12:01   #203  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Just be patient, it may take a moment
Old 5th November 2009, 08:26   #204  |  Link
McArty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
I can confirm this. Also it crashed few times in the middle of encoding, but after I closed crash report the gui was still working however not responsive.
Me too, using Windows 7 here. But never in the middle of encoding, always at the end (sporadically), trying to right click to copy the log to the clipboard. No big issue, because the encode had ended.
McArty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 04:51   #205  |  Link
Chengbin

LoRd_MuldeR

I'd just like to express my gratitude for this software. I could not praise it enough. The interface, simple, but extremely well designed. I couldn't fault the interface. It is just so ergonomically designed, with the auto save setting, to the command line, to displaying avisynth, avi2yuv, and x264 messages. It is simply fantastic. I'm not sure I've given out such praise for a long time, since I'm usually EXTREMELY HARD TO SATISFY. Maybe a little simplicity is what I needed in my complicated software life.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:12   #206  |  Link
ACrowley

just want to say that the Suspend/Pause mode doesnt work here ..it doesnt work after any wait Time.
?
Old 10th November 2009, 18:23   #207  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Maybe I will implement a "real" suspend option one day
Old 11th November 2009, 02:08   #208  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Updated x264 to r1332 (JEEB's builds). I also added a Suspend/Resume button, finally. That was more complicated than I had assumed

(The Win32 API makes it pretty hard for us to suspend a process by ID. Finding grandchild-processes created by your child-process isn't very simple either ^^)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th November 2009 at 02:16.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 02:39   #209  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

buggie, the pipebuffer was tested heavily by many users here. The conclusion that 4MB was the best in almost every scenario.
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 08:21   #210  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Updated x264 to r1332 (JEEB's builds). I also added a Suspend/Resume button, finally. That was more complicated than I had assumed

(The Win32 API makes it pretty hard for us to suspend a process by ID. Finding grandchild-processes created by your child-process isn't very simple either ^^)
Thank you

Another Problem is that the gui crashes when encoding is done with a Apprcash Error ?
Old 12th November 2009, 10:56   #211  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
Thank you

Another Problem is that the gui crashes when encoding is done with a Apprcash Error ?
Give my exact steps to reproduce the problem. It never happened to me...
Old 12th November 2009, 17:41   #212  |  Link
Zarxrax

Regarding buffer size, what if the buffer was a multiple of frame size? Wouldn't this give optimal performance, as you would always be sending x264 exactly what it needs to encode an entire frame? Since avs2yuv is outputting raw data, we can calculate this from the resolution.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 17:52   #213  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
Regarding buffer size, what if the buffer was a multiple of frame size? Wouldn't this give optimal performance, as you would always be sending x264 exactly what it needs to encode an entire frame? Since avs2yuv is outputting raw data, we can calculate this from the resolution.
I tried that. But it didn't improve things. It seems a 4MB buffer gives the best results under any circumstances. Maybe because that is the maximum memory page size on x86 computers...
Old 12th November 2009, 22:25   #214  |  Link
turbojet

If you look through the benchmarks in this thread you'll see 1 and 2 MB buffer are more often faster than 4, 0 and 8 are some times faster as well, although about 5% max gain. I think it should an option, after all what use is a benchmark to find the fastest encode if you can't all the benchmark settings?

A very significant speed up is using x86 with first pass and veryfast, ultrafast presets, you can gain 20% fps in these situations and in my tests 2 pass is always significantly slower with x64 then it is x86 because you lose 10-15% fps on the first pass.

I've coded both of these in and reduced min x264 version to 1300 because 1332 is much slower, weightp breaks coreavc and is forced unless mbtree, psy-rd is disabled or interlaced is enabled. Also as it's a new feature without any public testing bugs can be expected. The only thing is I get a statement was expected but found a procedure error when compiling and I can't figure out what is causing it. Source here if anyone wants to look at it.

EDIT: also couldn't figure out how to set buffer size with a combobox.

Last edited by turbojet; 12th November 2009 at 22:43.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 23:25   #215  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Weight-P is optional. It's on by default with "smart" (weightp=2) mode, yes. But you can reduce it to "blind" (weightp=1) mode or even disable it (weightp=0).

Additionally some of the faster presets reduce/disable Weight-P. The "baseline" profile will disable Weight-P too!

CoreAVC only has problems with "smart" mode. And even that only in Non-CUDA mode. Furthermore we shouldn't restrict our encodes, just because one decoder is broken.

Instead we should spread weightp=2 encodes and encourage the decoder developers to get their code fixed asap

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th November 2009 at 23:27.
Old 13th November 2009, 00:12   #216  |  Link
dstln
Person

Hmm... new x64 build is freezing at random points during first pass in a full movie encode :-\ Just stops progressing and I need to abort...
Think it's an x264 build problem, gui or something else?
dstln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 00:24   #217  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I highly doubt a GUI problem, especially if the GUI window does still respond.

Also nothing changed on the GUI's side recently, as long as you don't use the new Suspend/Resume functionality.

So you may want to run x264 x64 from the console, just to be sure!

And it may also be Avisynth (or one of the filters/decoders involved) that stops delivering new data to x264...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th November 2009 at 00:31.
Old 13th November 2009, 09:34   #218  |  Link
Maccara

I also got this freeze with the latest. Just a "AviSource" (DV) and interlaced encoding (crf 22, bff, nalhrd, vbv params set & sar, otherwise medium default high profile without tunings, so weight-p was disabled too).

Worked fine from command line (just copy/pasted from GUI log).

Couldn't replicate from GUI either later with another file, so seems random. I find it unlikely GUI would cause something like this (especially since GUI remained functional), unless the "suspend" gets triggered somehow (unlikely).

Maybe some kind of thread-deadlock in new x264, but hard to say at this time.
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:09   #219  |  Link
dstln
Person

Hmm... actually, it only happened when I manually used partitions -p8x8,b8x8,i8x8,i4x4
dstln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 11:37   #220  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Weight-P is optional. It's on by default with "smart" (weightp=2) mode, yes. But you can reduce it to "blind" (weightp=1) mode or even disable it (weightp=0).

Additionally some of the faster presets reduce/disable Weight-P. The "baseline" profile will disable Weight-P too!
I should have said there's no way to disable fade detection, setting --weightp 0 still has the slowdown.

Quote:
CoreAVC only has problems with "smart" mode. And even that only in Non-CUDA mode. Furthermore we shouldn't restrict our encodes, just because one decoder is broken.
dxva bugs are starting to pop up too.

Quote:
Instead we should spread weightp=2 encodes and encourage the decoder developers to get their code fixed asap
This will only bring up more bug reports that are already known.

I've also had the random freezes with x264.nl and jeeb's builds. x264 doesn't crash it just stops updating and cpu drops to 0. It's happened with gui and cli on 4 full movie sources so far. I haven't been able to complete a second pass. x264 1319 worked on the same sources without a problem.

Tough to rely on this gui when it's locked to x264 1332.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote