Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2001, 22:42   #1  |  Link
rmatei
newbie extraordinaire

Video cards: bicubic resampling / Mod32 / VIA chipsets

I’m assembling myself a new computer and I’m stuck on choosing a new graphics card. Actually, I’m stuck choosing between a Radeon (7500, 8500) and a Geforce (3, Ti-xxx), and I have 3 questions.

1: Video playback will be very important, and I heard all Radeons do bicubic resampling, which is much better than bilinear when playing full screen. Do the Geforces do bicubic as well? Well I couldn’t find out anything on it, and if they don’t that pretty much excludes any Geforce card.

2: I read things in the past about video cards not enabling overlay when the video width is not a multiple of 32. Which cards have this problem? It wouldn’t be too big since most of my movies aren’t that way and there are some workarounds but it would still be nice to know.

3: Again I vaguely recall reading about problems between some video cards and VIA chipsets but I didn’t pay attention to it at the time. So are there problems?

PS Is any brand’s TV out good/bad compared to the other one’s or are the differences negligible?
Old 2nd January 2002, 11:09   #2  |  Link
Nihilistic

If your looking for insane gameing, high quality video playback/capturing and a reasonable price stick with the Radeon. Its a good solid card and it replaced by ASUS Geforce PURE 64DDR and im never looking back.

As for the overlay question I havent had a problem with either cards in that area.

Ive gone through at least 4 motherboards (most had VIA) in the past year and ive never expierenced a problem with any of my video cards. Now if your thinking about soundcards thats a whole other story.

I have a system hooked to my entertainment center for playing ROMs, MP3's, and VCD/DIVX. I used to use an old TNT2 with TV out and I found the output to be a bit fuzzy and constricted. Now i put in my old (but trusty) ALL in Wonder PRO (4 meg PCI) card the its perfect!

Whatever you end up deciding on getting, let us know how your setup works out!
Nihilistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 21:25   #3  |  Link
Zhnujm

my personal opinion:
i think the video filtering of my ati rage128 is better than that of my geforce2 mx. and the geforce has problems with a width not dividable by 32.
Zhnujm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 14:35   #4  |  Link
rmatei
newbie extraordinaire

Thanks, I' probably going with the Radeon but...
Quote:
Now if your thinking about soundcards thats a whole other story.
Hold on, I'm getting a SB Audigy Platinum, so, know of any problems?