Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 9th December 2001, 16:37   #1  |  Link
Loopus

Encoding multipart DVDs

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on how to make DivX MPEGs out of multipart DVDs (2 sides or 2 separate DVDs). I've already encoded many DVDs, using both DivX 3 and 4, both CBR and VBR, so I already have some basic knowledge.

I've decrypted all the VOBs and they're on my HD now. I wonder whether it's better to encode the two parts separately and then join them (using VirtualDub or any other suggestions?), or if there's a way to encode everything all at once (that might be better if using VBR).

Thanks!
Loopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 10:23   #2  |  Link
twistee
idiot

You are able to encode both sides/cds seperately and then append them together. Although it might be hard to do this so it fits on exactly 1 cd, although you could do it, after a few calculations of the bitrate. Or you could just make 2 cds, 1 cd for each side/cd.

Im not sure if you could extract both the audiotracks as wav, then vbr mp3 encode them together. For the video...im not sure, but you could try and put them all in to dvd2avi (depending on how your making your avis), but im not sure if that would work.
twistee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 11:49   #3  |  Link
manono

Hi-It's kind of up to you. I've done it both ways. One problem if you decide to put each side on its own CD is that the 2 CDs will be of slightly unequal quality. The best way to insure even quality throughout the movie is to join the .vob files, except that DVD2AVI has a 9 .vob limit, as I found out while working on Pearl Harbor the other day.

To join them-say you have 2 sets of .vobs, each 1-4, then renumber the second set as 5-8 and DVD2AVI will read them as one long set of .vobs.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 12:07   #4  |  Link
hakko504
Remember Rule One

I have used DVD2AVI to encode films split into 40+ chapters. It will only automatically add vobs with number up to 9, but if you press add again and select file#10 then it will add all files up to #19 a.s.o.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com
hakko504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 16:47   #5  |  Link
UHT

i would recommend joining the vobs, as a lot of films tend to have all the action parts in one half/area of the movie this would mean that the disc with that on would look a lot worse than the other