Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 28th December 2006, 06:53   #21  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
I agree. Not only would the people behind draconian copy protection BS sue you, they would disapeer you if they thought they could get away with it.
they could then make a movie about it, maybe something along the lines of "Leon The Professional".
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 07:07   #22  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
I'd delete the link to the sourcecode, ask people to stop sharing it and just release the executable for the time being we want as many hd-dvd's ripped and put out by the scene as possible.

that's maybe what you wan't, but definately not the author of this decrypter or anyone else here on doom9.

and about the "protect your id thing" why should he, he did nothing wrong and nothing the industry didn't except to happen.
And everyone involved in AACS knew this would happen, their is no way to protect against such stuff on the PC Platform as we have it today, see all the HD-DVD/Blue-Ray Player and PS3/XboX 360 those are Platforms that can be called Secure but the PC isn't yet but industry is working on it to make it more Secure the first steps are made TPM 1.2 and Vista more will follow in the Future.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 28th December 2006 at 07:12.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 07:16   #23  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post

that's maybe what you wan't, but definately not the author of this decrypter or anyone else here on doom9.

and about the "protect your id thing" why should he, he did nothing wrong and nothing the industry didn't except to happen.
i think their lawyers would disagree!!! the industry has accepted it will be cracked, however its still illegal and they will indeed hunt him down.

i dont want this guy to end up in jail for 5yrs, he's done a great job
Old 28th December 2006, 07:32   #24  |  Link
djdafreund

I love it. It IS 100% LEGAL (Read you lawbooks on this!!!) to make a COPY of media you OWN (Reason why he did this, as he said, the media is VERY touchy to scratches.) "An individual is allowed to make 1 copy, per for archive purposes, of the media he owns. You, however, are not allowed to sell the copy, per said, for profit. "

It is the same reason ALL the dvd copy (ALL LEGAL) software, as well as all CD backup software/Music CD backups, Audio rippers to devices ('Because you own the original' in there eye's).

It's irritating to still watch people "Eh-eh-it's against the law!!" when they clearly don't understand the law one bit and THINK by assuming what they hear or there own believe's. I've actually asked the written law with my lawyer and how it's translated by definition in the courts systems. And more or less said the same thing i researched on the internet myself. I would agree to not post the source, so they don't learn so quick their mistake's however, and keep it the execution file/docs only.

Moves to rein in the DMCA have been initiated in the U.S. Congress, where at least two bills have been introduced that grant exemptions for consumers who crack encryption for certain legitimate purposes--for example, to make a backup copy of a legally purchased DVD.

Last edited by djdafreund; 28th December 2006 at 07:39.
djdafreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 07:43   #25  |  Link
daddy_fizz
Carbonated Midget

Yeah, because it turned out so good for Lightning UK when he didn't release the source code and they came after him for DVD Decrypter...

I would take the advice to play it safe and do what you can to protect yourself, and get that source code spread across the net as far as it will go...

~Fizz
Old 28th December 2006, 08:46   #26  |  Link
XStylus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdafreund View Post
Moves to rein in the DMCA have been initiated in the U.S. Congress, where at least two bills have been introduced that grant exemptions for consumers who crack encryption for certain legitimate purposes--for example, to make a backup copy of a legally purchased DVD.
Sure, whatever, that's nice. But until those bills are passed though, breaking a copy protection measure--even for the purpose of asserting a perfectly legal right--is illegal and punishable by prosecution. Thus, heroes the likes of DVDJon and now muslix64 need to make sure their identities are protected. The two **AAs have been churning out lawsuits against good people for a couple years now. It's easy for them to get YouTube or some other site to cough up an IP addy on this guy.

I'm also doubtful those bills you speak of (assuming they are reintroduced when the new congress convenes) will be passed anytime soon. Past history has shown congress to be very friendly to the media industries. For example, it's the US that is holding back Russia's entry into the WTO, and AllOfMP3.com's existence is cited as a primary reason.

Last edited by XStylus; 28th December 2006 at 08:51. Reason: Included additional info
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 08:54   #27  |  Link
OverlordQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
I think he gets the keys from powerDVD. I am sure they will get some heat because of this.
the 'nice' thing about ACSS though is they can revote PowerDVD's current key which will not allow any future media to be decrypted w/o updating PowerDVD
OverlordQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 09:17   #28  |  Link
XStylus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordQ View Post
the 'nice' thing about ACSS though is they can revote PowerDVD's current key which will not allow any future media to be decrypted w/o updating PowerDVD
If I understood correctly, the Title Keys were yanked from active memory, which would render revocation of PowerDVD's key moot. The player's key decrypts the encrypted title key which is the key needed to decrypt the video (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).

Hence, if all you need is a way to yank the Title Keys, What's to prevent the next version of PowerDVD (or any software player, for that matter) from falling to this same tactic? They could also try to deauthorize the old software players and find some way to scramble the title keys in memory on the next versions, but reverse engineering the software itself to find the scrambling method will reveal those keys once again.

However, even if they do decide to go to an extreme and yank software players off the market (at least, for any OS other than the ass-puckered WinVista64), I could easily see someone cracking open a perfectly good HD-DVD player, probing the memory, and just create a list of HD-DVD keys that gets posted to some online website. The only trick is that you'd need to keep REAL QUIET on what players you're modified to pull title keys from.

That obviously would make it difficult for just anybody to make their own keys, so I foresee key distribution as the next big craze. This would relegate disc backups to an as needed sort of thing. You can back up a disc you bought if you really want (if, for example, you want to watch a movie on your laptop but prefer to leave the disc at home), but you'll need to go online and hunt down a key first.

Last edited by XStylus; 28th December 2006 at 09:39. Reason: Added more info
XStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 09:59   #29  |  Link
Nocturno

Quote:
I love it. It IS 100% LEGAL (Read you lawbooks on this!!!) to make a COPY of media you OWN (Reason why he did this, as he said, the media is VERY touchy to scratches.) "An individual is allowed to make 1 copy, per for archive purposes, of the media he owns. You, however, are not allowed to sell the copy, per said, for profit. "
Actually in large parts of Europe it's not illegal to make a copy for home use, but it IS illegal to break copy protections, even on your own bought movies, therefore usage of this tool is illegal imho
It makes my dreams subside..
Nocturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 10:18   #30  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturno View Post
Actually in large parts of Europe it's not illegal to make a copy for home use, but it IS illegal to break copy protections, even on your own bought movies, therefore usage of this tool is illegal imho
EXACTLY. in the u.k the DMCA (digital millenium copyrights act) forbids circumventing copy protections. im pretty sure there is a law for the u.s too. if it dosent have a copy protection on a disc then you can indeed make 1 copy (aslong as you keep both of them and not transfer to a 3rd party).

cant remember what the U.S law is for this as im from the u.k.

i really hope a GUI of the 2nd jan of this tool is made, GUI's for the win!
Old 28th December 2006, 11:50   #31  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Let's please focus on the technical and practical aspects of this exciting new program rather than debate legal issues in different jurisdictions.

Thanks folks and thanks to muslix64

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 11:51   #32  |  Link
fairyliquidizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
EXACTLY. in the u.k the DMCA (digital millenium copyrights act) forbids circumventing copy protections. im pretty sure there is a law for the u.s too. if it dosent have a copy protection on a disc then you can indeed make 1 copy (aslong as you keep both of them and not transfer to a 3rd party).

cant remember what the U.S law is for this as im from the u.k.

i really hope a GUI of the 2nd jan of this tool is made, GUI's for the win!

The US Law is the DCMA. Are we not governed by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 in the UK? Is there a newer one that gives DCMA like restrictions. If so what is it?

Just found this looks like you may be wrong in name, right in principle: http://www.out-law.com/page-4168
fairyliquidizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 12:09   #33  |  Link
dukey

should have posted the source from a internet cafe or library or something. Then don't have to worry about getting caught by IP/ISP But legal or not it doesn't make much difference because people will do it regardless.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 12:13   #34  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

For those who may get this error:
Error: no `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

do this:
copy
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_10\jre\bin\server
to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\

Backup HD-DVD V0.999 Starting
Usage: BackupHDDVD SourceDrive Destination_directory
Example: BackupHDDVD f: e:\movie\somemovie

Download JDK from:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp
JDK 5.0 Update 10 is what i used (full offline version)
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 12:25   #35  |  Link
bcrabtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r View Post
For those who may get this error:
Error: no `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

do this:
copy
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_10\jre\bin\server
to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\

Backup HD-DVD V0.999 Starting
Usage: BackupHDDVD SourceDrive Destination_directory
Example: BackupHDDVD f: e:\movie\somemovie

Download JDK from:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp
JDK 5.0 Update 10 is what i used (full offline version)

bob0r,

Am I correct to take your posting as confirmation that you've used this tool and that it works?

Can anyone else confirm that they've successfully saved an AACA-protected movie to hard disk and then been able to play it from there?

Bob C

Last edited by bcrabtree; 28th December 2006 at 12:27.
bcrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 12:45   #36  |  Link
Taktaal

The Java source code is only an implementation of the AACS decoder which in itself is only a wrapper around AES. It looks like the OP found a way to take the title key through out of a HD-DVD player through reverse engineering, but he can't tell us because if the movie studios know which player has a weakness they'll revoke its player key.

It's much better to wait with that until after there's more HDDVD/Bluray releases because then doing a key revocation would
a) Be much less useful because there's already more movies out
b) Create more resentment towards movie studios among the consumers if they can't play a newly bought movie because their player was cracked
Taktaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 13:15   #37  |  Link
chadamir

It's nice to see that every lawyer who ever registered an account on doom9 in the last 4 years is coming out of the woodwork to give advice to this guy.
chadamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 13:59   #38  |  Link
Cyberace

Are the title keys shown in the YouTube video real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktaal View Post
It looks like the OP found a way to take the title key through out of a HD-DVD player through reverse engineering, but he can't tell us because if the movie studios know which player has a weakness they'll revoke its player key
hmm, but if that player is a software player like PowerDVD, (like version 6.5 which is shown in the YouTube video)- then aren't studios are out of luck as people will always be able to install that exact same 'old' version of the software player on their own computer that is not connected to the internet (and can thus not get revoke updates) and thus use that to grab the keys from the RAM memory when it is playing/decoding the movie?

By the way, did any notice that YouTube video shows the title keys of some movies when he films the contence of his TKDB.cfg file? if those are the real keys, then people with the knowledge and software to scan/dump the active RAM memory should be able to search find one of those specific keys if he/she have one of those exact same movies, and then he/she can use that as a map to find the location where keys of others movies are 'stored' in the memory while the movie is being played/decoded by PowerDVD. As I assume PowerDVD always stores that key in memory the same way in the same version of the software?
Cyberace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:03   #39  |  Link
AlphaWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus View Post
Sure, whatever, that's nice. But until those bills are passed though, breaking a copy protection measure--even for the purpose of asserting a perfectly legal right--is illegal and punishable by prosecution. Thus, heroes the likes of DVDJon and now muslix64 need to make sure their identities are protected. The two **AAs have been churning out lawsuits against good people for a couple years now. It's easy for them to get YouTube or some other site to cough up an IP addy on this guy.

I'm also doubtful those bills you speak of (assuming they are reintroduced when the new congress convenes) will be passed anytime soon. Past history has shown congress to be very friendly to the media industries. For example, it's the US that is holding back Russia's entry into the WTO, and AllOfMP3.com's existence is cited as a primary reason.
It could happen. Over the years there have been more and more exceptions being added to the DMCA.

FWIW the DMCA is not something that the US congress wanted per se, at least not in the lobbying sense. The reason we have the DMCA is to be in accordance with the WTO and WIPO treaties. In fact when that and the CTEA were challenged by Lessig and his crew, the supreme court cited these treaties as the reason for justifying these laws as being constitutional, because the constitution says that treaties are the law of the land.

The US happened to be the first country to adopt the policies of these treaties in the form of the DMCA and the CTEA. Because of this many people on the internet go around blaming the US for being the reason that their country adopted similar, often more restricting copyright laws (I know many aussies that do this especially.) This isn't the case actually. These countries are enacting these laws as part of these treaties as well. In fact if you look at the tenets of these treaties, they call for far more restrictive policies than what the DMCA calls for.

Whenever you see some trolling site like slashdot or something mention that some country is enacting a new "Super DMCA" it is actually that country falling more in-line with the treaty than the US is.

If you ask me, eventually the DMCA will eventually boil down to this: don't decrypt or talk about decrypting any content unless there is significant fair use for doing so. E.g. backing up a DVD would be allowed, but stealing cable by decrypting the signal without authorization wouldn't be. Which I think would be very fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStylus View Post
IMO though, you should've sat on this fix a bit longer. HD-DVD is still in first gen with little market penetration, so it's not too late for them to tweak the HD-DVD spec. Or worse, the studios could jump ship and go Blu-Ray exclusively. Wait until one of the formats hit a penetration point to where there's no return, then drop the bomb.

But anyway, what's done is done, and I hope this fix stands the test of time. If so, I know what format I'm buying.

Time to tinker with Blu-Ray anyway though, just to make sure the studios don't have anywhere to run. I'd buy you a Blu-Ray drive for the effort if I had the money.
IIRC doesn't blu-ray also use AACS?

In either case I don't imagine it mattering much. No form of video media will ever have a renewable security system, period. With that said, once it has been decrypted, its all over. Whether it happens now or later, it makes no difference in the end. Maybe a little more effort on the part of the crackers and content providers, if that. The AACS standard is for the most part set in stone already, and as we sit, it's mostly broken.

Mostly as in, we still need to obtain some decrypt keys before we can fully decrypt the video.

Last edited by AlphaWolf; 28th December 2006 at 14:21.
AlphaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:12   #40  |  Link
hajj_3

also, i hope a non-java version of the 2nd jan version is released. lots of ppl dont want to install java runtimes, if sourcecode for that is released then im sure someone will port it into c++ with a GUI.