Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 2nd January 2002, 00:03   #1  |  Link
TobiVanKenobi

question about the guide

i'm working on an exact german translation of the gknot guide cause there are a lot of people which need it.

but there's a point where i'm not sure about it.

"If you did not chose Force Film in DVD2AVI due to a too low film content you can perform IVTC during encoding. You'll activate IVTC upon saving the avs file (later on in the guide) but first you should already set FPS to 23.976 so that the correct number of frames for the resulting movie will be shown."

but i heard that in PAL movies there are 25.000 FPS. is that correct??
TobiVanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 00:24   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

whenever you hear ivtc turn on a mental alarm light... it's ntsc only baby I guess you could add another sentence there saying it's once again for ntsc only.
Old 2nd January 2002, 04:11   #3  |  Link
trbarry

On the DScaler project and when I wrote GreedyHMA we always called it reverse pulldown instead of IVTC though I sort of changed terminology over here. IVTC may be more correct.

But there is maybe a distinction as you can do reverse pulldown on film based PAL source in the GreedyHMA Avisynth filter using Auto Pulldown mode = 2, say:

GreedyHMA(1,0,2,0,0,0,0,0) for PAL force film, or

GreedyHMA(1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0) for PAL auto pulldown, or

GreedyHMA(1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) for PAL video deinterlace

It doesn't drop any frames or change the frame rate like it would for NTSC but it still matches fields to make progressive frames, even if the cadence changes, and without the loss of resolution you can suffer with deinterlace.

But Auto Pulldown for PAL is not as good at recognizing film source so it's better if you tell it when you know.

I notice Gordian Knot now even throws in a commented out GreedyHMA statement in the AVS script but I don't think there is any more automatic way to get it.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2002, 14:04   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I suggested greedyhma to thewef.. however, I'm not sure if it was him or dvd2svcd telling me there was no good way to auto-detect the right params to be used so that is pretty much the reason why these progs still use the ivtc plugin. I've never even tried greedy (haven't had a source where force film didn't work in ages).