Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 16th September 2002, 15:38   #1  |  Link
amigd23

help with my home theatre system ?

I just bought a home theatre system, hoping to get Dolby Digital from my collection of DivX movies with AC3 sound track. However, up to now, it's a mess. Please help me to get on !

The basic problem is I don't get any sound from Ditital-In of my DVD Player even when I play DVD with SPDIF out in PowerDVD XP. It's a Pioneer HTD-520DV system with a digital coax in. I have a P4 1.7GHz computer with a Aureal Sound card (it has a SPDIF coax out). BTW, I use Windows XP. I have several questions below. I am realy new to this, so please don't laugh at me if they are stupid.

1) The menu of HTD-520DV says the Digital-In only plays PCM. I feel kind of strange about this. Is this possible ? The system plays DVD very well with Dolby Digital. Why do thay set up a Digital-In only for PCM ? I called Pioneer, they said it should be ok with Dolby Digital, but why did their menu say that ?

2) Seems there is no support for Aureal sound card now. I wonder whether I have set up my sound card right. Both in Windows 2000 and XP seems they have the driver for this card and I can use this card except for SPDIF out (although the problem may not be with this card). Is there any special step to set up for SPDIF out ?

3) I am also wondering whether I have used the right cable. It seems the port is just like all other RCA type connector. I just used an RCA audio cable. Maybe they are different ? What is digital coax cable ? What's the difference between them and RCA cable ?

I will really appreciate if some of you guys can take some time to help me clarify this.

Thank you very much !
amigd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2002, 20:54   #2  |  Link
Alestrix
XviDVorbisOgmXcd-believer

I only have somethin' for your question 2) here:
AFAIK AC3 via SPDIF works on Aureal only in Win9x (maybe ME?). The 2k and probably XP drivers only support PCM through SPDIF. I think http://www.vortexofsound.com should have more information on that.
Alestrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 11:16   #3  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Re: help with my home theatre system ?

Quote:
Originally posted by amigd23

3) I am also wondering whether I have used the right cable. It seems the port is just like all other RCA type connector. I just used an RCA audio cable. Maybe they are different ? What is digital coax cable ? What's the difference between them and RCA cable ?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not so sure a "standard" RCA type plug will carry the proper audio stream out of coax ports. If I recall correctly the cable should be 75 Ohms and of course should be shielded well to cut down any interference.
Old 20th September 2002, 16:33   #4  |  Link
amigd23

Alestrix,

You are fight, I finally make it work under Win98 ! I wonder whether there is another AC3 filter which will work with Aureal card with Win2k or WinXP not pnly for PCM stream. If somebody knew, please lwt me know !

MaTTer,

I can tell you it works with my RCA type video cable.

BTW, who knows where to get Cineplayer's AC3 filter ?
amigd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 16:44   #5  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Try the Moonlight Odio Dekoda filter. Several posts on the board has the download link for you.