Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 15th August 2005, 12:50   #101  |  Link
Wishbringer
Silent Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
The beta versions are here.
Thanks alot for quick reply...
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 18:12   #102  |  Link
doomer2

Request for Vob/Cell replace of all cells in a pgc

Currently (0.6.0, I haven't yet looked at the betas) you have an option to replace a cell with a blank cell appended to the vob. This is very useful. However, it would be even more useful if there were an option to append a single blank cell, and replace ALL the cells in the current PGC with that new blank cell.

This would make it easy to blank a title out completely, and then strip the now dead cells with ifoedit, as can already be done nicely with the "Kill playback" option is used on menus. Having to do this by hand for 20 or 30 cells in a long pgc gets rather tedious.

Thanks!
doomer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 18:36   #103  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

@r0lZ

How about an info dump on what option settings a user has personally set? And BTW, your info dumps don't show the "Angle" column.

[EDIT] I know blutach defines the color coding when viewing dialogs like "goto calling command" in the PgcEdit doucmentation but can I kindly ask for you to insert a color code legend into these dialogs?

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th August 2005 at 18:50.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 19:14   #104  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomer2
Currently (0.6.0, I haven't yet looked at the betas) you have an option to replace a cell with a blank cell appended to the vob. This is very useful. However, it would be even more useful if there were an option to append a single blank cell, and replace ALL the cells in the current PGC with that new blank cell.

This would make it easy to blank a title out completely, and then strip the now dead cells with ifoedit, as can already be done nicely with the "Kill playback" option is used on menus. Having to do this by hand for 20 or 30 cells in a long pgc gets rather tedious.

Thanks!
Note that you can already replace all cells of the whole domain, with the Blank All PGCs in Domain function.
Also, most of the time, it is sufficient to delete all cells except the last one, and blank that remaining cell. You have to edit the chapter table, too.
However, blanking a specific PGC is a good idea. I will add this function when I'll have some time.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 19:21   #105  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COOL
How about an info dump on what option settings a user has personally set?
I don't think it's very useful. But you can open the .cfg files in a text editor. The format is human readable, and relatively easy to understand. The config files are in "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\PgcEdit\".

Quote:
And BTW, your info dumps don't show the "Angle" column.
Right. I forgot to add it.

Quote:
[EDIT] I know blutach defines the color coding when viewing dialogs like "goto calling command" in the PgcEdit doucmentation but can I kindly ask for you to insert a color code legend into these dialogs?
Is it realy useful? You can also identify the provenence of the command by the PGC label. Maybe...
Old 16th August 2005, 19:36   #106  |  Link
doomer2

Quote:
Note that you can already replace all cells of the whole domain, with the Blank All PGCs in Domain function.
Also, most of the time, it is sufficient to delete all cells except the last one, and blank that remaining cell. You have to edit the chapter table, too.
However, blanking a specific PGC is a good idea. I will add this function when I'll have some time.
Yes, I was aware of the Blank All option, however, I often don't want to blank them all as one VTS often contains more than one title. I had noticed the delete cell option, but doing that and then correcting the chapters also seemed to take longer than just blanking the first cell, and then making all the other cells point to the same blank cell.

It is probably safer (for instance if there are cell commands, or if commands elsewhere jump to a specific program or cell) to not remove all the cells but one, and instead keep them but make them blank. But in addition to the blanking feature, it might also be nice to have an additional option to delete all cells but one. Or, when you pick delete cell, to present a list of all cells and have a checkbox for each cell to delete. That with a button to select all/deselect all would work great!

Thanks!
Old 16th August 2005, 19:51   #107  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
to present a list of all cells and have a checkbox for each cell to delete. That with a button to select all/deselect all would work great!
Hah! You mean like this which I proposed in October 2004?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...844#post560844

Read r0lZ's reply on the next page.

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th August 2005 at 19:56.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 20:14   #108  |  Link
doomer2

Yeah, very similar to that, except that I would prefer the blanking checkboxes to be in a different window, since that one is already pretty crowded, and in your mockup there is nothing that really shows the user that those checkboxes are related to the blank cells button.

r0lZ's revamp ideas mentioned in his followup may be even nicer, but I guest that revamp never quite happened.
Old 17th August 2005, 18:45   #109  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have to implement the "Blanking for the Masses" idea, which will uses PgcEdit to mark the cells or PGCs for blanking, and do the actual blanking with VobBlanker. I may add an option to do the blanking in PgcEdit, leaving the job of stripping the unused cells to VobBlanker or IfoEdit. I'm still not sure what I will do.

Also, I will revamp the PGC Editor GUI, but it's a relatively big work, and I don't want to waste my summer working at PgcEdit. Wait a little bit more...
Old 17th August 2005, 19:51   #110  |  Link
2COOL

Thanks r0lZ! At least the wheels are now turning.
Old 18th August 2005, 15:37   #111  |  Link
zacoz

Quote:
I don't want to waste my summer working at PgcEdit. Wait a little bit more...
Shucks....Sounds like the weather's improved.
Looking forward to Blanking for the masses, but can wait too.
Old 18th August 2005, 16:09   #112  |  Link
doomer2

Thanks r0lZ! That sounds great! Just in case I can influence you one way or another, I would prefer if Pgcedit did the blanking so that Ifoedit was the only tool necessary to complete the strip.

But I have noticed another issue. PgcEdit fixes many things about the dvd structures that other tools break, but I have noticed that one thing it isn't doing is automatic correction of the VTS sectors. I'm finding that even after using PgcEdit, I still have to go into ifoedit to "Get VTS Sectors" to correct this.

Is there a possibility that that functionality could be added to PgcEdit?

One other minor nit that I think might be a bug in 0.6.0. If a dvd is opened and you go to the cell listing of a title, if you click OK instead of Cancel, it thinks the DVD has changed and asks you to save on exit, even if you didn't change anything. I'm guessing that a changed flag is getting set where it shouldn't.

Thanks!
Old 18th August 2005, 16:54   #113  |  Link
tlavalle

quick qestions

Am I doing this right I put the dvd in my dvd drive then start pgcedit. it loads and asks where the video_ts files are i point to my dvd drive then it runs, but after a few seconds I get Error loading NAV pack from "E:\video_TS\vts_01_0.vob" at sector(in file):
error reading "file14d4c88": invalid argument. This hapens a few more times but for different locations.
tlavalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 08:59   #114  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Thanks r0lZ! That sounds great! Just in case I can influence you one way or another, I would prefer if Pgcedit did the blanking so that Ifoedit was the only tool necessary to complete the strip.
That's the way I thing I will do things, it it's not too difficult.

Quote:
But I have noticed another issue. PgcEdit fixes many things about the dvd structures that other tools break, but I have noticed that one thing it isn't doing is automatic correction of the VTS sectors. I'm finding that even after using PgcEdit, I still have to go into ifoedit to "Get VTS Sectors" to correct this.

Is there a possibility that that functionality could be added to PgcEdit?
PgcEdit fixes the VTS sectors when the DVD is saved. However, things are a little bit different than with IfoEdit.
1) IfoEdit has a bug in his Get VTS Sectors function when there are empty menu VOB files. PgcEdit do a better job in this case: it removes the empty VOB and the references to it if the user wants so, or, if the empty VOB is still present when the DVD is saved, it fixes the VTS sectors accordingly.
2) If you use the "When saving, leave at least 32K of space between IFO and BUP" option, and there are titlesets where the total size of the VOBs is less than 32K, the VTS sectors are modified so that a gap is created when needed. However, since most burning software are unable to use correctly this information (notably Nero), the 32K gap option is off by default.
3) Wgen burning a double layer DVD, the VTS sectors are also modified to add another gap between VIDEO_TS.IFO (or VIDEO_TS.VOB if it is present) and VIDEO_TS.BUP, so that the layer break is placed at the right position.

In other words, IfoEdit and PgcEdit should do the same job if you save the DVD via the normal Save function, and there are no empty VOBs, and the 32k gap option is off.

Quote:
One other minor nit that I think might be a bug in 0.6.0. If a dvd is opened and you go to the cell listing of a title, if you click OK instead of Cancel, it thinks the DVD has changed and asks you to save on exit, even if you didn't change anything. I'm guessing that a changed flag is getting set where it shouldn't.
That's right. Indeed, when you hit OK on any editing dialog, the DVD is flagged as modified, even if nothing has been edited in this dialog. It's a little bit tedious to verify everything the user can do. Sorry, you have to live with that.
Old 19th August 2005, 09:01   #115  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavalle
Am I doing this right I put the dvd in my dvd drive then start pgcedit. it loads and asks where the video_ts files are i point to my dvd drive then it runs, but after a few seconds I get Error loading NAV pack from "E:\video_TS\vts_01_0.vob" at sector(in file):
error reading "file14d4c88": invalid argument. This hapens a few more times but for different locations.
Hum, I will check this "invalid argument" problem.
But note that, since you cannot edit a DVD directly, you should rip the DVD to hard disc before using PgcEdit. Also, if your DVD is CSS encrypted, PgcEdit will be unable to parse the VOB files to find the menu buttons. This is probably the problem you got.

Last edited by r0lZ; 19th August 2005 at 09:16.
Old 19th August 2005, 11:47   #116  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Documentation

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have been pretty busy lately with little real time to devote to the PgcEdit doco. I will get to updating it as soon as I can, but in any event, you can always use the search function to look for an item.

Due to the major menu revamp, the doco will take a bit of updating but we will get there.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 11:58   #117  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks, blu!

@tlavalle:
I have made several tests. Loading a CSS encrypted DVD from the DVD drive produces the error you reported. As I said, you must rip the DVD to hard drive first, for example with DVD Decrypter in file mode.

If you really want to inspect a DVD without ripping it, you should use DVD43 (free) or AnyDVD (not free) in conjunction with PgcEdit. But note that you must remove these tools before using a ripper such as DVD Decrypter. Take care: it is not sufficient to exit them. You must turn the autostart option off, and reboot.

I have modified the error message in PgcEdit, so that it is now clear that it's a CSS encryption problem. Thanks for your report.
Old 19th August 2005, 12:11   #118  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

My turn for a feature request - dunno if you saw it before, but please see here.

Or does the auto checking do this?

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 19th August 2005 at 12:15.
Old 19th August 2005, 12:22   #119  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:

Thanks!
This is kinda like my thinking too. I would like a quick "remove all cells" (except the first one, or perhaps the last one if it is a blank already). I had one the other day that was 240 cells. Still, a kill playback kills them stone dead anyway. Maybe something that asks, "what cells do you want to remove?" and you can nominate a range.

Becasue, like doomer says, it is tedious getting rid of them one by one.

What do you think?

Regards

Old 19th August 2005, 15:03   #120  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
My turn for a feature request - dunno if you saw it before, but please see here.

Or does the auto checking do this?
Yes and no. In the automatic check when a new DVD is loaded, a summary of the number of discrepencies is displayed, and you have the option to cancel, or to launch the fix on all domains.
When a requester pops up for a specific domain, you can cancel the whole operation, but if is not possible to say "yes to all", simply because this option is not present in the standard Windows requesters. Thanks Bill Gates!
I don't want to program a specific requester for a so simple task...