Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2008, 08:43   #1701  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kound View Post
downloaded elizabeth x264 720p, transcoded into x264 into one 4,75GB VOB file with subs. Burned into DL media.

All went well to PS playback except the 5 last minutes. PS3 reported corrupted data. The same DL media in the PC played without problem (included 5 last minutes).
Since you are recording to dual later media and you are reporting corruption occuring in the last 5 minutes...

I wonder is it possible that it could be the burner and/or media? Do you know where the software is inserting the layer break? If it is burning as much as possible onto the first layer (4.35GB) and then burning the remainder on the second layer, then my theory could well be true.

The fact that the PC read it without a problem also makes me think it could be the drive. The drive that burnt the media usually has the best chance of reading it again. It is with stand alone players that the problems usually exist.

Burning dual layer discs can sometimes be a tedious task and some older burners don't handle this job too well.

Last edited by Ryu77; 1st April 2008 at 08:45.
Ryu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 09:56   #1702  |  Link
s_kound
Xperimental Freak

the drive is a plextor (aka nec) 800. It's 3 days old

I'm thinking the same thing, that the drive could read the file after the second layer while PS3 couldn't because of a bad media and/or writing method. On the other hand i used nero scanning to scan the media, and it was just fine.

If i choose to transcode with split method, then the second file will be <=400MB and that's annoying :P But assuming that i will use the split method, will the second splitted file be correct with the subtitles synchronized?
Old 1st April 2008, 10:55   #1703  |  Link
God Radio

3r1c,

You never responded to my question:

The problem is the FAT32 split option creates files that are 3900 MB.

I want to use Kingston/Sony/PNY/ 4GB USB sticks that are actually 3790 MB.

The files do not fit.

Will a future release of MKV2VOB have a custom file size?

OR:

A 3790 MB split option?

Thank you.
God Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 12:01   #1704  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_kound View Post
the drive is a plextor (aka nec) 800. It's 3 days old

I'm thinking the same thing, that the drive could read the file after the second layer while PS3 couldn't because of a bad media and/or writing method. On the other hand i used nero scanning to scan the media, and it was just fine.

If i choose to transcode with split method, then the second file will be <=400MB and that's annoying :P But assuming that i will use the split method, will the second splitted file be correct with the subtitles synchronized?
I'm still thinking that it could be the media or software. Nero will see it as fine because your PC drive has no problem reading it as you've already mentioned. We need to work out what is causing the problem with the PS3.

Can you specify which software you are using to burn? Also the brand of media? Is it + or - media?

If it isn't too much trouble for you, I would recommend trying a different type of media. First of all, if you are using DVD-DL, try DVD+DL. Using good quality media can also help a lot. I always use Verbatim and they always provide a quality reliable burn.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:28   #1705  |  Link
s_kound
Xperimental Freak

You're right about the nero report (same drive, good specs)

i used nero to burn the vob (i should use imgburn thought...) in a DVD+R DL media and booktype as DVD-ROM. The media was a local Greek brand and maybe that was the cause of the problem (althought i haven't had any issues with this media on other DVD DL movies).

Will try with verbatim in slow speed and come back with results. Thank you VERY much for replying.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:14   #1706  |  Link
Ryu77

s_kound, you are welcome to my help but I am not 100% sure that I am on the right track. The suggestion I offered sounds like the most logical answer to me though.

I have an idea for you to test if it is the clip or the media.

Split the VOB file through mkv2vob or whichever application you prefer, load the second part onto a flash drive, iPod, or external hard drive (if you have any of these). Test it out to see how it plays...

If you don't have a flash drive, you could sacrifice a single layer DVD for the second part of the split for testing purposes. It will still cost less than buying more DL media.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:16   #1707  |  Link
God Radio

A common problem is burning DL media at 8X , 6X or even 4 X when the local brand of media is really only capable of supporting a 2X burn DL media that the PS3 will not complain about.(in some cases but most burns were at 4X since burning at 8X even after verification produces coasters as far as the PS3 goes).
Just my luck?

My preferred option is to use an 8 GB memory stick with two formated sections under FAT32 that give me 3790 MB per section.

However.

The program MKV2VOB produces sections at 3900MB rendering the USB 8GB memory stick option useless(even for 16GB USB sticks since the PS3 is unable to read NTFS formated sticks).

I can not be the only guy who just wants to burn to an 8 GB memory stick and avoid all of the hassles of burning to disc.
God Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 17:13   #1708  |  Link
valuat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
What transcoding codec are you using?
I've just re-read your question. My settings were: x264 with VOB extension. No subs, no overscan compensation, boosting AAC/DTS volume. Any news on the file I've uploaded?
valuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 18:25   #1709  |  Link
bigcstyle

can someone please answer my question about the avchd... i posted on the last page.. thank u.. RYU im sure u know the answer to this
bigcstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 19:16   #1710  |  Link
Audioboxer

Some updates to TSmuxer.

Don't know if anything will help MKV2VOB?

Quote:
* Version 1.7.2(b)
- Issue with demuxing PGS to SUP format fixed.
* Version 1.7.1(b)
- Bug fixed: Now pulldown info correctly processed.
- Ability to remove pulldown info from stream added. All video codecs are supported: H.264, VC-1, MPEG2.
- Some small bug fixes and improvements. Also tsMuxeR package size is decreased and dependings to other libraries have been removed.
Audioboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 19:31   #1711  |  Link
nunyabuizness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcstyle View Post
can someone please answer my question about the avchd... i posted on the last page.. thank u.. RYU im sure u know the answer to this
heres what you wanna do to make an avchd
the only thing mkv2vob can do for you is make sure the output file is playable on a ps3. therefore, use mkv2vob to output to a .m2ts. export the m2ts as blu-ray structure using tsremux and burn to a dvd using udf 2.5 settings. HOWEVER, this will only produce a good video (unless you consider flashing green lines on the top and bottom of the screen good) if your resolution is exactly 1280x720 or 1920x1080.
if the video is a different size, it must be reencoded using some software im too busy and not ocd enough to care about to give it the black crop bars.
nunyabuizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 21:00   #1712  |  Link
jediknight

3R1C,

Please add Multi-Thread Function ( Dual Core & Quad Core CPU Supports )

Need this for fastest Transcoding..

Thanks,
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 21:50   #1713  |  Link
naj

I know this has nothing to do with mkv2vob, but does anyone knows how to mux subtitles into divx for files bigger than 4GB? I ask this since the only good program I know capable of doing a good job is AVIAddXSub, but it does only handle AVI 1.0 files, thus having the 4GB limit. Once it goes past this limit it reports an error and can't create the DivX file...

I already know of DivX Mux Gui and Sub2DivX, but none of them create a good output (Sub2DivX only handles NTSC and PAL inputs, and DivX Mux Gui creates too small and screen-center based subtitles).

Any help is appreciated.
naj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 22:18   #1714  |  Link
3r1c

You say that if you split you end up with a 400mb file.. well the mkv2vob uses the byte size from the dvd specifications, it sounds to me like you are overburning the disc and the ps3 wont read it.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 23:14   #1715  |  Link
Ryu77

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Radio View Post
A common problem is burning DL media at 8X , 6X or even 4 X when the local brand of media is really only capable of supporting a 2X burn DL media that the PS3 will not complain about.(in some cases but most burns were at 4X since burning at 8X even after verification produces coasters as far as the PS3 goes).
Just my luck?

My preferred option is to use an 8 GB memory stick with two formated sections under FAT32 that give me 3790 MB per section.

However.

The program MKV2VOB produces sections at 3900MB rendering the USB 8GB memory stick option useless(even for 16GB USB sticks since the PS3 is unable to read NTFS formated sticks).

I can not be the only guy who just wants to burn to an 8 GB memory stick and avoid all of the hassles of burning to disc.
Ok.... Why have you got 2 partitions on the memory stick? That is not needed at all. FAT32 specifies that a single file can not exceed 4GB but that is not the partition limit. They are different things.

Format one partition (approx 7600MB) and everything will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj
I know this has nothing to do with mkv2vob, but does anyone knows how to mux subtitles into divx for files bigger than 4GB? I ask this since the only good program I know capable of doing a good job is AVIAddXSub, but it does only handle AVI 1.0 files, thus having the 4GB limit. Once it goes past this limit it reports an error and can't create the DivX file...

I already know of DivX Mux Gui and Sub2DivX, but none of them create a good output (Sub2DivX only handles NTSC and PAL inputs, and DivX Mux Gui creates too small and screen-center based subtitles).

Any help is appreciated.
It's not possible.

The DivX media format container is engineered based on the older AVI v1.0 container. This container format has a 4GB limit (as you already mentioned ).

The best application I found was AVIaddXsubs (as you said). When you say it can only handle AVI 1.0, what did you mean? AVIaddXsubs can input avi 2.0 files but as I mentioned above the .divx container is a wrapper of the AVI 1.0 container, so output is unfortunately limited to 4GB, in any DivX media format application.

With AVIaddXsubs you can enter a custom resolution and adjust the on screen subtitle position. I had a 720p (1280 x 544) movie which is an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. I even managed to get the subtitles to display on the black part of the screen (where the borders would have been). I entered 1280 x 720 as the subtitle resolution and 700 as the position. This places the subtitles on line 700, which is below the picture! Also, if you enter a font size of 24 or 26, I found that produced the best results.

Note: The way the subtitles appear on the DivX media player on your PC is not always the same as the PS3 will play them.

Last edited by Ryu77; 1st April 2008 at 23:36.
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:12   #1716  |  Link
naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu77 View Post
The DivX media format container is engineered based on the older AVI v1.0 container. This container format has a 4GB limit
Thanks for clarification

But, are you sure it's not possible to create AVI 2.0 in DivX container? I'm asking this because of a note in AVIAddXSubs's homepage stating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIAddXSubs
AVIAddXSubs (at the moment) creates AVI 1.0 files. AVI 1.0 files cannot be greater than 4GB. So the program cannot be used for files bigger than 4GB.
What does this "at the moment" means? Could it be program's fault and future development could solve it, or that it is waiting for some sort of DivX specifications to change?

Anyway, many thanks
naj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:28   #1717  |  Link
3r1c

It means that avi over 4gb requires AVI 2.0 and AVIAddXSubs does not have support for 2.0 yet.
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:54   #1718  |  Link
CYNIEK

3r1c - can we expect a ts2vob? as there's a lot of content in TS format and PS3 doesn't like it just yet. I'm struggling with remuxing TS content using various apps, however have no issues with MKV using MKV2VOB application.
CYNIEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 00:56   #1719  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYNIEK View Post
3r1c - can we expect a ts2vob? as there's a lot of content in TS format and PS3 doesn't like it just yet. I'm struggling with remuxing TS content using various apps, however have no issues with MKV using MKV2VOB application.
next version will accept ts, and join 0001.ts 0002.ts etc..
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:23   #1720  |  Link
CYNIEK

Great! Thanks for this great app...
CYNIEK is offline   Reply With Quote