Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 12th May 2006, 18:14   #1  |  Link
dj_ske

Replace faulty menu For Home Video

Hi, I'm kinda new on here, and I have looked for days now on here for some help, I found a few things that might help, but I find the possible sollutions aren't so user friendly.

Ok, here goes?! A while ago, I imported a home movie onto my computer, to crate a DVD, I made the DVD no problem, some how tho I messed up and after each scene it returns to the menu, I know what I have done and know how to fix it, the problem is, I no longer have the original Media files, other than on the Faulty DVD. I figured I could use a DVD to MPG ripper and simply start over, however the MPG ripper does not rip at the same quality of the original, so I figured I could build a menu for the not so perfect quality clips and then simply swap the VOB files after, that didnt work either...

I have tried Demuxing the original to retrieve the video and audio but the audio never works and the software I use to encode my DVDs Wont open the M2V file.

Hopefully that all made sense?! I lost myself in there a bit lol

Any help would be much appriciated, I have seen similar posts to mine and people answered "Use IFO update" I have it, but what the heck does it do?! lol
dj_ske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 03:46   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

If the only problem with your "Faulty DVD" is that the menu you created doesn't work properly, just use the same software to load the "Faulty DVD" .VOBs - and create a new, correct version of the menu...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 16:16   #3  |  Link
dj_ske

The software I use, will not open VOB files, it only encodes DVDs from MPG or AVI.

Thanks tho, I didnt realise that, loading the VOBs would be an option, it may just mean that I should use a different programme.
Old 14th May 2006, 20:54   #4  |  Link
dj_ske

Update

Ok, firstly I'd like to thank setarip_old for his suggestion!
I originally tried importing the VOB files from my burned DVD as soon as I realised the menu didnt work, but it would not let me use them, the software I use will only open MPG, AVI etc. So it was something that had not occured to me to work on, I was consumed with importing the "Fixed" menu to the old VOB files, but after searching the NET today, I have found a couple of DVD creating tools that will allow you to use VOB files, so DEFO on to something there.

Problem is however, Out of the 2 I have found (ImTOO DVD Creator) has a limited menu creator, where you can ONLY use ITS menu templates and the other (DVD Power Burner) has no application to build a DVD menu at all.

These are both free trial tools and may change with fully lisenced copy but that is unclear.

The upside is that (Im TOO DVD Creator) has the option to have no menu and seems like it will just burn the movie in a way which will play much like a video cassette, from start to finish, so for now, it would seem that my best option is to completely remove the menu and simply burn the video to DVD.

If anyone else has any other thoughts or suggestions on any freeware programs that can be used to import VOBs and still create a menu, then please post here!
Old 14th May 2006, 21:18   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

Try "TMPGEnc DVD Author". You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

I'm curious to know what software you originally used that won't accept DVDs and/or .VOBs for input?
Old 15th May 2006, 04:20   #6  |  Link
dj_ske

The Software I use is "Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD" it came with my DVD re-writer. Its actually quite a nifty program, it takes the stored Video captures straight from the digi cam, or media files from the PC. It allows you to make menues using stills with the option of audio.

That all suits me fine on most of my projects, however, I think as I become more adventurous I will probaby want to make a more interactive menu, maybe with moving pictures. so maybe I'll need a new program or learn more about menu programming.

Its obvious fallbacks are; the previous stated fact it wont use VOB files as media, its allowed use of menu building requires a background and atleast 1 Big sized sub picture (probably just under a third of the screen size) which acts like a thumbnail preview of the film which can be clicked to start the movie, and that it will add a number at the start of any subtitle on the menu display page.
The number indicates what button to press on the remote for that feature which would be fine if I were using more than one option or if I were using a scene selection menu, but sometimes all I need really is a single button that says "play"
It does seem to be more like a scene selection page rather than a menu and there is no scope to build a sub menu ie. a Regular Startup Menu with a sub - Scene Selection page.

So, its kind of a basic tool that is trying to be flash and in its attempt to be a professional tool some of the more BASIC requirements of some users(ME) is forgotten.

Hey, maybe I should write reviews?! lol

Thanks for the link, thats the problem I have had, actually finding a free to try tool that will actually complete the job and not just do 30 minutes, I dont know how some of the people make their money, do people really buy a lisence for a program that one is allowed to try before you buy, but you cant really try it, becasue it stops half way thru!?

Anyways Downloading "TMPGEnc DVD Author" this second its 42.7 MB in size and I am on a 56K modem so I will come back tomorrow, or maybe the day after (when its finished downloading) to share the outcome.

Thanks for your input setarip_old you're a star!!
Old 15th May 2006, 04:27   #7  |  Link
lark
Regular User

i think you should be able to do all the fixing with pgcedit, but obviously it requires some knowledge of the dvd commands...

regards
t
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 07:30   #8  |  Link
dj_ske

I downloaded a copy of Pgcedit I saw reference to it a similar post, but I had NO IDEA on what I was doing, I might need to take a second look that way as I havent got the TMPGEnc DVD Author to work yet, after leaving my pc on all night! lol

Maybe I downloaded the wrong one?!

Anyways one more go at that, then maybe I will resume looking into Pgcedit
Old 15th May 2006, 07:47   #9  |  Link
dj_ske

Ok just in case there are people as silly as me, on dial up that dont want to waste 5 hours downloading the wrong file that want to try TMPGEnc DVD Author The link below will take you right to download page.

REMEMBER:- the trail version is the download file right at the bottom and is 18.1 MB in size if you're downloading something that's 42 Mb in size, you may have some idea on how stupid I feel!

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/do...a20.html#trial
Old 15th May 2006, 07:57   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

Now that you've downloaded the correct program - Did it satisfy your needs?
Old 15th May 2006, 08:12   #11  |  Link
dj_ske

I'm actually still downloading it... Watch this space!!!

As for the Downloading the wrong file, I didn't sleep last night even tho I was well tired, and I wasn't concentrating on what I was doing, tho somehow now I seem more awake and I have now noticed the BIG boxes next to the downloads with the BIG red writing saying "CAUTION THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT A TRIAL VERSION"

I have now opted for the "CAUTION THIS SOFTWARE IS A TRIAL VERSION FREELY USABLE FOR 14 DAYS." LOL

This is probably how I Messed the DVD up in the first place, I'm kinda impatient and have to have it NOW regardless on how much I need to sleep.

Hey ho... I seem to be nearing the end now!
Old 15th May 2006, 17:39   #12  |  Link
dj_ske

Hey!
I have finished using "TMPGEnc DVD Author"
I was able to load my VOB files and burn them back to DVD.

This Tool seems to do it all, and visually, other tools I have used its hard to see what the outcome would be before burning, but you can see it all coming together here as you work.

I still didn't get the menu done tho, the trial version has limitations for example you cant save projects as you go, its "use it or lose it" any menues made have the background pictures water marked. It seemed alot of bother to build a menu, I wasn't able to import my own media files for that and the useable templates were quite small and it was hard to see what they said. Maybe this changes with the full version?!

The main thing is, I can now watch the home video, it simply doesn't have a menu, and at the moment, I can live with that.

I said before that I may need to change my DVD building program, TMPGEnc DVD Author is defo a candidate!!
Old 16th May 2006, 07:04   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

Based on your description, it sounds like you've downloaded the trial version of "TMPGEnc DVD Author" Version 2.0.

Sorry if I've caused you any confusion, but it appears that Pegasys has recently revised their website. The following link will get you to a FULLY functional (NO watermarks, Yes, you CAN save projects) 30 day FREE trial of v.1.6:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html
Old 19th May 2006, 06:40   #14  |  Link
dj_ske

Job Done!

OK cool thanks for that link!

This is a really cool tool, I like this program ALOT!!
I had a little bother trying to create my still image menu with audio, as it would only play audio if it was on the same file as the image, no problem tho, I created a small photo DVD with the option of adding audio, with one picture for the length of my audio, then I imported it back in from my hard drive, like I did the original VOBs I now have my startup menu with audio! and it plays great!!

I think I'll have to buy a copy of this, as all of a sudden this tool has shown me things I never thought about doing before, and I want to try them all NOW!!! ...alas I dont have many days left on my free trial.

This program could be used as a solution to many posts on here CHECK IT OUT!!!
Old 19th May 2006, 14:57   #15  |  Link
Dimad

With "TMPGEnc DVD Author" you can reauthor whole disk. But it does not look like this is what you actually need by the description of your problem. What you do need is to change navigation slightly so that playback does not return to menu after each chapter. For sure can be very easily done in DvdReMake Pro (http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro). Probably PgcEdit will also do it. Both these programs will let you keep original menus so that you don't need to recreate it.
Dimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 19:02   #16  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
OK cool thanks for that link!
This is a really cool tool, I like this program ALOT!!
Glad I was able to finally steer you to the right version! Enjoy ;>}