Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 1st April 2008, 10:43   #4101  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
The 3/1.0 channel configuration is not supported by flac encoder, for 4 channels only 2/2.0 is allowed.

You can force flac to encode a wav 3/1.0 using:
--channel-map=none
That's when using the official flac encoder executable file, right? I'm using libFlac. I think libFlac allows me to encode any number of channels between 1..8.

Quote:
But when you decode the flac, a 2/2.0 channelmask can be send to the player and listen the center channel in left surround speaker.
You seem to be right. The FLAC documentation sais this:

Code:
Channel assignment
    * 0000-0111 : (number of independent channels)-1. Where defined, the channel order follows SMPTE/ITU-R recommendations. The assignments are as follows:
          o 1 channel: mono
          o 2 channels: left, right
          o 3 channels: left, right, center
          o 4 channels: left, right, back left, back right
          o 5 channels: left, right, center, back/surround left, back/surround right
          o 6 channels: left, right, center, LFE, back/surround left, back/surround right
          o 7 channels: not defined
          o 8 channels: not defined
    * 1000 : left/side stereo: channel 0 is the left channel, channel 1 is the side(difference) channel
    * 1001 : right/side stereo: channel 0 is the side(difference) channel, channel 1 is the right channel
    * 1010 : mid/side stereo: channel 0 is the mid(average) channel, channel 1 is the side(difference) channel
    * 1011-1111 : reserved
So as far as I can see if I encode 4 channels, FLAC will see that as 2/2.0.

However, I've once seen a FLAC file with a Windows WAV style channelmask field in the metadata. Now I don't know whether this is a secretly supported option (having channelmask information in the metadata). Probably not. So I guess FLAC doesn't like 3/1.0.

Quote:
EDIT: To use flac with 3/1.0 channels maybe we need split the surround channel in:
BL = 0.707 x S
BR = 0.707 x S
and use a 3/2.0 configuration supported by flac.
Yeah, sounds like a good workaround.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:25   #4102  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
However, I've once seen a FLAC file with a Windows WAV style channelmask field in the metadata. Now I don't know whether this is a secretly supported option (having channelmask information in the metadata). Probably not. So I guess FLAC doesn't like 3/1.0.
Using WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE header wav's with the ChannelMask set properly I obtain:
Code:
C-0.0.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x0004
L-0.0.wav: wrote 116967 bytes, ratio=0,061                        (OK mask=0x0001)
1-0.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x000C
2-0.0.wav: wrote 276354 bytes, ratio=0,072                        (OK mask=0x0003)
2-0.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x000B
2-1.0.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x0103
3-0.0.wav: wrote 382988 bytes, ratio=0,066                        (OK mask=0x0007)
2-1.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x010B
2-2.0.wav: wrote 525781 bytes, ratio=0,068                        (OK mask=0x0033)
3-0.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x000F
3-1.0.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x0107
2-2.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x003B
3-1.1.wav: ERROR: WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE chunk with unsupported channel mask=0x010F
3-2.0.wav: wrote 632393 bytes, ratio=0,066                        (OK mask=0x0037)
3-2.1.wav: wrote 737200 bytes, ratio=0,064                        (OK mask=0x003F)
BTW, when flac decode to wav these files make standard pcm wav file headers for mono and stereo.
If channels are >2 use WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE header wav's with the ChannelMask set properly for 3 and 4 channels (always 3/0.0 and 2/2.0), but with 5 and 6 channels I obtain:

Code:
mask=0x0037 (FL FR FC BL BR) -> flac -> mask=0x0607 (FL FR FC SL SR)
mask=0x003F (FL FR FC LF BL BR) -> flac -> mask=0x060F (FL FR FC LF SL SR)
Seems flac developpers mistake the:
"back/surround left, back/surround right" (BL, BR)
with the
"SideLeft, SideRight" (SL, SR)
Old 1st April 2008, 13:32   #4103  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Seems flac developpers mistake the:
"back/surround left, back/surround right" (BL, BR)
with the
"SideLeft, SideRight" (SL, SR)
Yep, seems like that!
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:27   #4104  |  Link
kmitalian

Hhmmm, i shall research it

I shall try all different kinds of WAV formats to see which it accepts, i have tried converting it to LPCM and it wouldnt accept that, so strike that!
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:53   #4105  |  Link
PHD_1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitalian View Post
What kind of commands do i need to transcode a DolbyTrueHD track into LPCM Multichannel so its compliant for Scenarist to accept that file as a multi-channel PCM so I can make a Blu-Ray disc out of it?
You should type the following:
eac3to inputfile.thd outputfile.wavs
and then run each .wav file through MUI Generator via multichannel LPCM input (available since 4.3 version)

If TrueHD track is taken from Blu-Ray you can import it to Scenarist as TrueHD stream instead of making PCM from it, but not without the help of madshi's great tool.

Last edited by PHD_1976; 3rd April 2008 at 10:58.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:53   #4106  |  Link
scarbrtj

Nero is the default EAC3 decoder for eac3to. Casablanca HD-DVD English track is a 64kbs mono EAC3 track. The Nero decoding via eac3to leaves the resultant AC3 track with "shrieks" and "whistles" and "crackles" but it's rather intermittent. However, invoking "-sonic" makes an AC3 file which is smooth, no noise.

Why would this be?
Old 4th April 2008, 01:02   #4107  |  Link
kmitalian

DolbyTrueHD with Scenarist, tried, not possible

I have tried importing the DolbyTrueHD signal into the MUI Generator but it wont work, its due that the Dolby TrueHD tracks i have aernt coming up as TrueHD, they are coming up as MLP?

the reason why PCM is better is cause it still decodes it into its Full Form and i do have a Sony BDPS1000 i can test it on!!!
Old 4th April 2008, 06:44   #4108  |  Link
PHD_1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitalian View Post
I have tried importing the DolbyTrueHD signal into the MUI Generator but it wont work, its due that the Dolby TrueHD tracks i have aernt coming up as TrueHD, they are coming up as MLP?

the reason why PCM is better is cause it still decodes it into its Full Form and i do have a Sony BDPS1000 i can test it on!!!
In order to import TrueHD stream from BD to Scenarist HDMV you have to do the following:
- run TrueHD track via eac3to twice:
1. eac3to track.thd audio1.ac3
2. eac3to track.thd audio1.thd
Then rename audio1.thd to .mlp and feed MUI Generator with audio1.ac3 specifying it as Dolby Lossless.
In next window be sure, that the path to your audio1.mlp is correct. Scenarist should be happy with that.

PCM needs lot of extra space, so sometimes movie doesn't fit BD-25 because of it.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:42   #4109  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbrtj View Post
Nero is the default EAC3 decoder for eac3to. Casablanca HD-DVD English track is a 64kbs mono EAC3 track. The Nero decoding via eac3to leaves the resultant AC3 track with "shrieks" and "whistles" and "crackles" but it's rather intermittent. However, invoking "-sonic" makes an AC3 file which is smooth, no noise.

Why would this be?
Can I have a sample, please? You could also try "-libav" to cross check whether it's a problem with the Nero decoder or whether the Sonic decoder does some magic which both libav and Nero don't do.
Old 4th April 2008, 14:44   #4110  |  Link
earl

i will demux 2 .evo files from hdd1 to hdd2
eac3to d:\part1.evo+d:\part2.evo -demux e:\
does not work, eac3to put the demuxed files in d:\ and not to e:\
.. why ? .. what make i wrong ?
Old 4th April 2008, 14:49   #4111  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
i will demux 2 .evo files from hdd1 to hdd2
eac3to d:\part1.evo+d:\part2.evo -demux e:\
does not work, eac3to put the demuxed files in d:\ and not to e:\
.. why ? .. what make i wrong ?
Change the current directory to "e:\" (by executing "e:\" and then "cd \" in the command prompt), then run again. When using the "-demux" option, eac3to always demuxes to the current directory.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:22   #4112  |  Link
Chumbo

Just wanted to report another "unclean" track but the source this time is an HD DVD. I did demux the track to a .ddp file using EVOdemux, but eac3to 2.36 still wasn't able to convert it.
Code:
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:06:38, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB 
Removing dialog normalization... 
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)... 
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding... 
This track is not clean. Processing aborted. 
Please clean the track with delaycut and then retry eac3to.
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Writing WAVs...
I tried a few older versions too, but they didn't work either. Just fyi. Thanks.
Old 4th April 2008, 18:24   #4113  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Just wanted to report another "unclean" track but the source this time is an HD DVD. I did demux the track to a .ddp file using EVOdemux, but eac3to 2.36 still wasn't able to convert it.
Code:
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:06:38, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB 
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)... 
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding... 
This track is not clean. Processing aborted. 
Please clean the track with delaycut and then retry eac3to.
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Writing WAVs...
I tried a few older versions too, but they didn't work either. Just fyi. Thanks.
The "unclean" detection for E-AC3 tracks is extremely reliable cause E-AC3 is protected by a CRC. So unless both eac3to and EvoDemux demux the track incorrectly, it is really damaged. Try running it through delaycut 1.3.
Old 4th April 2008, 22:45   #4114  |  Link
moshmothma

Madshi, I see that you have replaced the haali source and splitter with your own. Any chance we could see that in a directshow version? If not any chance you could release the code for someone else to port? Thanks as always for your incredible software!!!
Old 5th April 2008, 02:51   #4115  |  Link
earl

Quote:
Change the current directory to "e:\" (by executing "e:\" and then "cd \" in the command prompt), then run again. When using the "-demux" option, eac3to always demuxes to the current directory.
thanks, it works so

i use eac3to from gentoo linux with wine
it is a litle bit tricky, but it works .. i run with wine the cmd.exe, and from there i use eac3to.exe - it works
the directly way with wine and eac3to.exe work also
but with the directly way i have ever the demuxed files in the same directory how the .m2ts/.evo file(s) are
is there no other way to specify the directory for the demuxed files ?

..will a linux version from eac3to come ?

:edit
gkrellm shows me...
wine + eac3to.exe -> 70..90mb/s read (eac3to 1.evo+2.evo) (20% cpu load)
wine + eac3to.exe -> 25..35mb/s read and write (eac3to 1.evo+2.evo -demux) (40% cpu load)
wine + cmd.exe + eac3to.exe -> 10..15mb/s (eac3to 1.evo+2.evo -demux) (75% cpu load)
(c2d 1,86ghz 3x seagate .11 series)

:edit2
Code:
c:\programme\eac3to\eac3to.exe z:\movie.m2ts -demux -ignoreDiscon
Hooking GetModuleFileNameA failed (Erfolg).
M2TS, 1 video track, 5 audio tracks
1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
2: DTS Master Audio, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
3: AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
4: AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: AC3, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: AC3, 2.0 channels, 224kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Hooking WriteConsoleA failed (Erfolg).
Extracting primary video track...
Extracting audio track number 2...
Extracting audio track number 3...
Extracting audio track number 4...
Extracting audio track number 5...
Extracting audio track number 6...
Creating file "movie - 1 - h264, 1080p24.h264"...
Creating file "movie - 2 - DTS Master Audio, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz.dtsma"...
Creating file "movie - 4 - AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48khz.ac3"...
Creating file "movie - 3 - AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48khz.ac3"...
Creating file "movie - 5 - AC3, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48khz.ac3"...
Creating file "movie - 6 - AC3, 2.0 channels, 224kbps, 48khz.ac3"...
This TS/M2TS file seems to be damaged (discontinuity).
Audio overlaps for 27 frames at playtime 1:44:05.
This doesn't seem to be a valid PES packet.
what can i do to demux this .m2ts file ?

Last edited by earl; 5th April 2008 at 04:12.
Old 5th April 2008, 04:48   #4116  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
The "unclean" detection for E-AC3 tracks is extremely reliable cause E-AC3 is protected by a CRC. So unless both eac3to and EvoDemux demux the track incorrectly, it is really damaged. Try running it through delaycut 1.3.
Thanks, will do.

May I make a suggestion please? Any chance you can change the logging to use the source folder and source file name and add .log.txt to the end? I use piping to log the info but then have to clean the piped file.

I know you create a log in the eac3to folder, but it's tedious to get it and sometimes running batch files with separate eac3to commands will only keep the last log entry since the previous commands' output log is overwritten. That means placing extra commands to rename the file and so on.

So...please, please, please...
Old 5th April 2008, 08:12   #4117  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
Madshi, I see that you have replaced the haali source and splitter with your own. Any chance we could see that in a directshow version?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
If not any chance you could release the code for someone else to port?
Not sure about that. If a programmer asked for it, I'd think about that, depending on the cirumstances and conditions etc...

But honestly, the Haali splitter is not bad at all. It currently has some limitations (e.g. no TrueHD splitting), but apart from that for real time playback I think the Haali splitter works just fine. The latest version has fixed some important issues. So I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to create a new DirectShow filter...
Old 5th April 2008, 08:15   #4118  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
is there no other way to specify the directory for the demuxed files ?
I don't really see why it's necessary. Even if you don't use cmd.exe you should be able to call wine in such a way that you can define the "current directory" or "working directory" or however it's called in Linux.

Quote:
..will a linux version from eac3to come ?
No. You just reported the the Windows version works fine with Wine...

Quote:
what can i do to demux this .m2ts file ?
You have 2 choices:

(1) Rerip the movie. Probably it's a damaged rip.
(2) If the movie is authored incorrectly (shit happens) you can use xport for demuxing. However, you'll have to live with damaged video/audio data then. No way around that.
Old 5th April 2008, 08:17   #4119  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
May I make a suggestion please? Any chance you can change the logging to use the source folder and source file name and add .log.txt to the end? I use piping to log the info but then have to clean the piped file.

I know you create a log in the eac3to folder, but it's tedious to get it and sometimes running batch files with separate eac3to commands will only keep the last log entry since the previous commands' output log is overwritten. That means placing extra commands to rename the file and so on.

So...please, please, please...
Why in the source path? Wouldn't it make more sense to write the log file to the destination path? I mean the source path might not even be writable while the destination path always has to be writable. Of course if you ask eac3to to just check a file things are getting complicated because then there is no destination path. Well...
Old 5th April 2008, 13:28   #4120  |  Link
earl

Quote:
You have 2 choices:

(1) Rerip the movie. Probably it's a damaged rip.
(2) If the movie is authored incorrectly (shit happens) you can use xport for demuxing. However, you'll have to live with damaged video/audio data then. No way around that.
you mean this -> http://www.videohelp.com/tools/xport ?
is there no way to demux my .m2ts file with eac3to ?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to