Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 10th September 2003, 00:18   #1  |  Link
eJoeyXiON

Help Episode End Fallback to Menu

Hi guys,

I've finished ripping a series, and only the final touch is needed.

A) When I choose to play, say, episode 2 via the episode/chapter menu; I want it to fallback to the main menu (where first play is pointing at as well). This is what the original DVD does.

B) When I choose Play All, at the end of an episode the next episode should play, unless it's the last one, then it should fallback to main menu.

This is normal on series DVD.

Now, in situation A) after en episode ends, the dvd stops playing.
In situation B) episodes will play after eachother, but after the last episode dvd stops playing.

Here is are the commands:
For first ep: VTS_PGC_1:

Code:
PGC Command Table:		
Number of Pre Commands	2	[0002]
Number of Post Commands	3	[0003]
Number of Cell Commands	0	[0000]
Size of Command table in bytes	47	[002f]
1.Pre Command	Set GPreg<8> mov SPreg<highlighted button number (HL_BTNN)>	[61 00 00 08 00 88 00 00 ]
2.Pre Command	(SetSTN) Set Subpicture Stream: GPreg<5>	[41 00 00 00 85 00 00 00 ]
1.Post Command	If GPreg<2> == (cmp-val)<100><' then Goto line# 3	[00 a1 00 02 00 64 00 03 ]
2.Post Command	(JumpVTS_TT) Jump to Title: 5	[30 03 00 00 00 05 00 00 ]
3.Post Command	(JumpVTS_TT) Jump to Title: 2	[30 03 00 00 00 02 00 00 ]
Here is the infamous VTS_PGC_5:

Code:
PGC Command Table:		
Number of Pre Commands	0	[0000]
Number of Post Commands	2	[0002]
Number of Cell Commands	1	[0001]
Size of Command table in bytes	31	[001f]
1.Post Command	Set GPreg<2> mov (set-val)<0>	[71 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 ]
2.Post Command	(CallSS VMGM) Call VMG PGC: 1 [Resume Cell: 1]	[30 08 00 01 01 c0 00 00 ]
1.Cell Command	(Link subset) LinkTailPGC	[20 01 00 00 00 00 00 0d ]
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but VTS_PGC_5 is deciding what to play next, according to the flag.

What can I change on VTS_PGC_5 in order to make it jump to my Main Menu when I'm not in situation A)? (I have tried a couple of things, with no luck).

Thanks in advance.

eJoey
eJoeyXiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 01:47   #2  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Re: Help Episode End Fallback to Menu

Quote:
Originally posted by eJoeyXiON
Now, in situation A) after en episode ends, the dvd stops playing.
In situation B) episodes will play after eachother, but after the last episode dvd stops playing.

What do you mean by "stop playing"? Do you mean your episodes stop playing and main menu is displays after? Or "no, really! the DVD stops playing. No menu showing or next espisode. It just stops."

Quote:
Here is are the commands:
For first ep: VTS_PGC_1:

Code:
PGC Command Table:		
1.Pre Command	Set GPreg<8> mov SPreg<highlighted button number (HL_BTNN)>	[61 00 00 08 00 88 00 00 ]
2.Pre Command	(SetSTN) Set Subpicture Stream: GPreg<5>	[41 00 00 00 85 00 00 00 ]
1.Post Command	If GPreg<2> == (cmp-val)<100><' then Goto line# 3	[00 a1 00 02 00 64 00 03 ]
2.Post Command	(JumpVTS_TT) Jump to Title: 5	[30 03 00 00 00 05 00 00 ]
3.Post Command	(JumpVTS_TT) Jump to Title: 2	[30 03 00 00 00 02 00 00 ]
The line above will dictate whether or not if the next episode will play (Title 2) or whatever Title 5 is. I believe that Gpreg<2> is being set in the "Play all" button.

Quote:
Here is the infamous VTS_PGC_5:

Code:
PGC Command Table:		
1.Post Command	Set GPreg<2> mov (set-val)<0>	[71 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 ]
2.Post Command	(CallSS VMGM) Call VMG PGC: 1 [Resume Cell: 1]	[30 08 00 01 01 c0 00 00 ]
1.Cell Command	(Link subset) LinkTailPGC	[20 01 00 00 00 00 00 0d ]
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but VTS_PGC_5 is deciding what to play next, according to the flag.
So what exactly does VTS_PGC_5 play? I assume this is Title 5? It doesn't seem like an episode to me as why would there be a jump to Title 5 in your VTS_PGC_1? Strange that it would jump from episode 1 to episode 5.

Quote:
What can I change on VTS_PGC_5 in order to make it jump to my Main Menu when I'm not in situation A)? (I have tried a couple of things, with no luck).
You could change your Post command to "(CallSS_VTSM) Call Titleset Menu" to your Root menu.

What's in VMG PGC:1 in your Post Commands? You're problem might be in that direction.
Old 10th September 2003, 08:19   #3  |  Link
2COOL

Do you have a VIDEO_TS.VOB present?
Old 10th September 2003, 08:57   #4  |  Link
eJoeyXiON

Hi 2C00L !

By "stops playing" I mean that when I play the dvd in ifoedit, it just stops playing after en episode. And it shows "Stopped" on the status window. And I don't have any error messages poping up about missing files.

Excuse me for not mentioning that I 've reauthored the IFOs. The original is a multiPGC, so: dvd2avi,cce,multipgc maestro,ifupdate.

Everything works perfectly, it's just the fact that it stops.

I DO have a viteo_ts.vob and it's the original.
VIDEO_TS.ifo was just modifided to make first play point to main menu.
Since the original dvd plays some short advertisment before it jumps to the main menu. These ads are on vts_02_1.vob, and handled by the vts_02.ifo of course. So, I removed the vts_02_1.vob and did a GET VTS sector (done by ifoupdate, and later redid it with ifoedit).

VTS_01_1.IFO: reauthored toghether with the new ifo files by maestro, and updated with ifoupdate multipgc-maestro mode.

VTS_02_1.IFO was left untouched.

And I'm afraid that title 5 is in vts_02_1.vob.
This is weird, since on the original DVD, after an episode ends, the main menu is played straight away.

Last edited by eJoeyXiON; 10th September 2003 at 09:08.
Old 10th September 2003, 09:19   #5  |  Link
eJoeyXiON

Re: Re: Help Episode End Fallback to Menu

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL

The line above will dictate whether or not if the next episode will play (Title 2) or whatever Title 5 is. I believe that Gpreg<2> is being set in the "Play all" button.
Title 2 is indeed next episode, and Title 5 is one of those ads from vts_02.
So, what if i change the jump to Title 5 in each ep PGC by a jump to my menu?

Quote:
[b] You could change your Post command to "(CallSS_VTSM) Call Titleset Menu" to your Root menu.
Tried that before, didn't work. Still Stopped playing.

Quote:
What's in VMG PGC:1 in your Post Commands? You're problem might be in that direction.
Sorry, got a bit confused there: aren't the ones listed on my frist post? Or where exactly do I have to look?

Thanks.
Old 10th September 2003, 10:22   #6  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
By "stops playing" I mean that when I play the dvd in ifoedit, it just stops playing after en episode.
Just going on a hunch. Try this. In your VTS_PGC_5's PGC Command Table, edit the following.
Code:
OLD > Number of Pre Commands	  0
OLD > Number of Post Commands	  2

NEW > Number of Pre Commands	  2
NEW > Number of Post Commands	  0
You said it stops immediately after the last episode and your ad didn't even display. Just wanted to bypass whatever your Title 5 is and go straight to your VMG 1.

Last edited by 2COOL; 10th September 2003 at 10:31.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 10:27   #7  |  Link
eJoeyXiON

Thank you mate.

I'll try this once I get home, and I'll let you know.
Old 10th September 2003, 11:58   #8  |  Link
eJoeyXiON

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
Just going on a hunch. Try this. In your VTS_PGC_5's PGC Command Table, edit the following.
Code:
OLD > Number of Pre Commands	  0
OLD > Number of Post Commands	  2

NEW > Number of Pre Commands	  2
NEW > Number of Post Commands	  0

PERFECT!
I just tried it quickly using remote desktop
And it works!

I have read many of your guides in this forum, and saved a lot of them on my hardrive.
But I never undersood what this Number of Pre/Post Commands exactly do.

Could you briefly expliain them? It would be great.

Thanks a lot once again.
Old 10th September 2003, 18:09   #9  |  Link
2COOL

@eJoeyXiON

I'm glad it worked for you! When you mentioned that you reauthored, I had a theory that some went wrong with your Title 5's video clip. So to answer your question on why the fix worked, I had already documented it in this guide, Disabling/Bypassing Unwanted Titles (Version 2)
Old 10th September 2003, 18:25   #10  |  Link
voo_doo99

@2COOL
Bravo, very nice piece of troubleshooting . I could not make head or tail of what the problem was util I saw the solution. Your sharp analysis must have come from many hours of backing up, writing guides, and fighting fires for newbies. We are luckly to have you!

Quote:

Since the original dvd plays some short advertisment before it jumps to the main menu. These ads are on vts_02_1.vob, and handled by the vts_02.ifo of course. So, I removed the vts_02_1.vob and did a GET VTS sector (done by ifoupdate, and later redid it with ifoedit).
@eJoeyXiON
A summary pointer: You dont want to cut out a .VOB cold here. That will break DVD navigation causing stoppings, playing errors, ... The finesse way is either: (1) Strip out the unwanted Vob-IDs only keeping one small blank clip for each PGC, or (2) Blank out the unwanted video with blank clips for each PGC. These techniques are well explained in many @2COOL recent guides. They all serve to avoid breaking original navigation.

The PGC bypass technique from @2COOL helped with the problem for VTS_PGC_5 of titleset VTS_02. You may need to apply the bypass to other PGC in the titleset if you run into other problem.

A brief answer for your question, Pre Commands are the actions that the PGC takes before playing the video clip; and Post Commands are the actions taken after the video clip. Do read thru a few @2COOL guides and they will become clearer to you.

@2COOL
Hows your knowledge of Cell command! I am not clear about its purpose [as in the quoted script]. Seem that the Post Commands would provide all the needed actions.
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 19:38   #11  |  Link
maa

Yes the Cell command has me puzzled too - I have seen commands in the cell information lower down so maybe they are executed from there.....
Old 10th September 2003, 19:50   #12  |  Link
2COOL

@too all

Understanding Cell Commands

The way cell commands work is that when a specific cell’s play has ended, it will execute a referenced Cell Command in your PGC Command Table (Figure 1). You can think of it as a Post Command to a Cell or a secondary Pre Command to a Post Command.

How is it configured you may ask? Well, If you go into your Cell Playback section (Figure 2), each cell has this line.
  • Cell_#: command Nr (0 = no command)
In this thread’s case, we had only 1 Cell Command so at the end of cell play, navigation jumps to Cell Command 1 and executes the command. (Link subset) LinkTail PGC means to jump to your Post Command #1.

[UPDATE] My cell command example has you jumping back to the post commands but you can actually skip the post commands by having have your cell command jump else where like to another PGC.

If we had more Cell Commands then other cells in our Cell Playback section will be configured.

Code:

Figure 1.

PGC Command Table:		
Number of Pre Commands           0
Number of Post Commands          2	
Number of Cell Commands          1	
Size of Command table in bytes   31
    1.Post Command	         Set GPreg<2> mov (set-val)<0>
    2.Post Command	         CallSS VMGM) Call VMG PGC: 1 [Resume Cell: 1]
    1.Cell Command              (Link subset) LinkTailPGC

Figure 2.

Cell Playback:		
Cell_1: command Nr (0 = no command)	1	

Last edited by 2COOL; 5th September 2005 at 19:44.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 21:28   #13  |  Link
voo_doo99

@2COOL
Superb explanation, thanks. Who needs books when we can ask you. Never knew the link to the Cell Playback section before. Learn my IFOEdit tip for the day, I am more dangerous now [to myself mostly]

@maa
Remember we talked about collecting HEX codes. There is some documentation now at http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/vmindx.html. There is required registration and a site access fee of $5.00. Good for many DVD articles and new beta copy of IFOEdit. Cheers.
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 22:04   #14  |  Link
maa

Hey 2COOL thats really two cool !

Does that mean I have to write guides for playing single chapters that automatically return to the menu now ?
(Thats something I was wondering about how to do)
Old 10th September 2003, 22:08   #15  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by maa
Hey 2COOL thats really two cool !

Does that mean I have to write guides for playing single chapters that automatically return to the menu now ?
(Thats something I was wondering about how to do)
I was playing with your audio menu PGC Command Table. You could eliminate the need for separate PGC-Menus for your languages so pressing your audio selection would jump you back to the movie.
Old 10th September 2003, 22:15   #16  |  Link
maa

Uh - yes and no. I have it so that it "resumes" if the movie was playing but returns to main menu if not - sure there are many ways to Rome - which way are you going ?
I prefere to avoid changing button commands because DVD LAB can create moving menus so you need the registered copy of menuedit - my guide is free and uses free tools .

BTW 2COOL, your mail box is full!

Last edited by maa; 10th September 2003 at 22:22.
maa is offline   Reply With Quote