Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Closed Thread

Old 12th September 2004, 21:50   #1  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

XviD Quality Settings. Yeah, the best quality that coud be obtained.

hei. i`m running a codecs test for a pc magazine (yeah, PC Magazine Ro) and i wanted to know wich are the best settings for this codec. Speed isn't important, quality... yes! So do youre best. gmc, 3 b frames, 2 pass encoding, adaptive... everyone, wich settings do you use and why.
bye. please answer!

ps. i know that is looks almost like the one posted in DivX's but... i'm in a big rush
Old 12th September 2004, 22:12   #2  |  Link
Didée

On the main config page, press the button that's labeled "default".

All other parameters are only there for lowering the quality by a user-defineable amount.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Old 12th September 2004, 23:21   #3  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

If you work for a computer magazine do something for your money and do what everyone else does: use the search-button!

Seriously, you do seem to have the right idea: use about anything that slows down the encoding process.
But don't touch those b-frame settings, I dare you! And I guess that's the main point Didée was hinting at, too. It would be a good idea to use one of the matrices that the gentleman who posted above has created, also...

I will let your violation of rule 12 ("Do not ask "what's best" because this question cannot be answered objectively. ") go unpunished because of your newbie-status.

Last edited by Teegedeck; 12th September 2004 at 23:26.
Old 12th September 2004, 23:34   #4  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

you see, i get no money from this (one mag gives me 1o $ per page... imagine) so its more like bringing the infos to the people that cant afford doing this on the web. im like an charity organization. so give me a break with that man. the money i get are paying 10% from the phone bill. so... if you want to help me to bring the best magazine codec test to the poorest peole (almost )... and dont judge me anymore. and using search... i know that are a few (maybe more) smart people out here that i must ask. and again, that nasty phone bill (im a student, so imagine handling that)...
Old 12th September 2004, 23:37   #5  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

ps. newbie... hihihihi man, just because i dont know (or i dindnt read) the rules it doesnt mean that i'm new to this forum (maybe i dindnt write any threads or i registred just in may). and the only thing that i asked these questions is that here are sticking the producers. so... (i know, to many so ) and believe me, i used these codecs before and i know a litle (maybe a litle more) but i wanted to be sure, to bring the highest quality information to my readers. bye and keep it real

Last edited by CQ; 12th September 2004 at 23:40.
Old 13th September 2004, 01:20   #6  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

you Probably won't get a reply from anyone. Most People who research encoding won't give their secrets away. They will ALWAYS point you to the search button. Which is what might be best. I would recommend you do the tests yourself because there is no way you will be able to provide accurate coverage about the codec without seeing the results for yourself.....so your gonna have to do it anyway Follow the simple rules put forth by teenagedeck and Didee and you'll come out with fairly accurate results. if your looking to make an event more accurate story then your gonna need to research each function and what it does....through your own testing. Simply taking someone else's settings and trying to do a test with them will not work. too many combinations and styles to even come close to being a universal result. Good Luck with your story and that might be the most pathetic pay ever.....might wanna consider getting a new job.
Old 13th September 2004, 01:36   #7  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

pathetic pay... hihihi, its a pleasure man, If it was for that lowsy buks... but i like that. and since i'm a filo student (literature and other shits)... it its a hobby. i dont consider making something on this. I`ll be a director when i`ll finish the studies so... fuck (can i use this word?) those 10 buck per page!
and watch the thread...

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?postid=544162

bye and thanks for youre oppinion.
Old 13th September 2004, 03:00   #8  |  Link
malkion

my opinion is it will take some time before CQ gets a quality codec comparison put together. considering it's still a for-profit venture, i wouldn't want to ever buy the magazine who puts together such amateurish and subjective articles.
Old 13th September 2004, 08:42   #9  |  Link
Teegedeck

Quote:
Originally posted by ChronoCross
you Probably won't get a reply from anyone. Most People who research encoding won't give their secrets away.
You have got entirely the wrong impression. We don't keep any secrets about XviD, here; we rather advertise quite openly what we think is best. This is a forum for discussion and exchange of experiences for those who are seriously interested in video encoding.

Please keep it civil, folks.

CQ, I think you've been given good advice in that other thread and discussing them here further would be redundant. I'll see you there.
Old 13th September 2004, 09:23   #10  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

malkion, it ain't that hard putting all that together. It will be some kind of Sagittaire CoDec test with more accent on the visual quality. Amateurish... amateurish is when you do it all by yourself. But thats why Im kindly asking directly the developers of the codecs and everybody that's in this. It's a open test. Everybody can contribute with an ideea. So the result to be fair and nondiscriminatory (is it speled right? ). And I repeat: ITS NOT FOR PROFIT! I GET NO MONEY FROM THIS MAGAZINE! (another one gives me those lousy 10 bucks ).

Here is what i'm planning ---> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?postid=544162
Old 13th September 2004, 10:58   #11  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

"teenagedeck"
I take it you are not german, but still one of the funnier misreads i saw lately.
Old 13th September 2004, 12:13   #12  |  Link
Audionut

Quote:
Originally posted by CQ
But thats why Im kindly asking directly the developers of the codecs
The devolopers will tell you to use the default settings, or use search.
Seriously, no matter what your opinion is,
This question has been asked to many times already.

Just because you are writting for a mag, doesn't give you special privileges, over others.

Use search.
Old 13th September 2004, 12:51   #13  |  Link
JuanCC

Quote:
hei. i`m running a codecs test for a pc magazine (yeah, PC Magazine Ro) and i wanted to know wich are the best settings for this codec. Speed isn't important, quality... yes! So do youre best. gmc, 3 b frames, 2 pass encoding, adaptive... everyone, wich settings do you use and why.
bye. please answer!
Test yourself this settings and see the results .

There is so many documents that explain you , what is mpeg-4 and his features.

Old 13th September 2004, 13:45   #14  |  Link
JarrettH

- 2-pass
- Q-Pel on
- Motion Search=6, VHQ1
- Changing the Aspect Ratio to suit the release...some DVD features are in 4:3 while the movie is in 16:9
- Chroma Motion on
- MAX I-Frame interval should be 10x your frame rate
- and Trellis on

but aside from those...everything else is subjective. All the default settings are best...IMO! Use a custom quantization matrix.
You'll pretty much find XviD looks a lot better then DivX and takes much much less time to encode.
I'm not a developer either, I learned a lot of what I know by searching these forums.
Old 13th September 2004, 14:20   #15  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Actually I am willing to help people out with some ideas on what's best per situation but I think asking for the best settings is rather pointless because it doesn't exist IMO. Anyone who says differently is kinda just diluting themselves.

Settings(DVD Backup)
Defaults Settings + Qpel and GMC + Didee's six of nine matrix or Fox Home Entertainment. never use Trellis with a custom matrix.

Those settings are for live action only. Since I do most of my encoding in anime I have a bunch of other settings I'm keeping to myself as I am not totally confident in their results(aka I haven't done enough testing). Additionally I'd like to point out that filters also play a pivotal role in encoding so you'll have to take that into account.
Old 13th September 2004, 16:31   #16  |  Link
Teegedeck

I'm sorry, but I can't let this go uncommented: A 17-post-XviD-forum-user who first tries telling us that 'experts' (referring to himself, I believe) keep their settings to themselves?!? I didn't like that. And now that an old-timer (i.e. me) voices protest you are taking it back. But in a way like you didn't really mean what you wrote first. And the next thing I read, you are spreading that trellis shouldn't be used with custom matrices?!? Veto, veto, veto.

Please lurk a bit longer before you count yourself amongst the advanced users.

Last edited by Teegedeck; 13th September 2004 at 16:50.
Old 13th September 2004, 16:58   #17  |  Link
yidaki

I'd say it depends.

I mean, we're talking about perception here.
There's no 'best' way of seeing something.
Everyone sees a different movie.

It depends on who's watching, it depends on the source, it depends on everything from butterflies flapping their wings to your own mood

What's the best painting, what's the best playing orchestra, what's the best cloud in the sky.
There's no answer, only that it depends.
Old 13th September 2004, 20:07   #18  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Teegedeck

17-post-XviD-forum-user who first tries telling us that...
"The number of posts on this board has no direct relation to the experience of a member..."

Sorry, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Teegedeck

And the next thing I read, you are spreading that trellis shouldn't be used with custom matrices?!? Veto, veto, veto.
Ditto, imo Trellis is one of the most useful XviD feature -> next after B-VOP's and VHQ !!!

@ CQ

Regarding your test...

I can understand that you use H.263 for the low-bitrates, but why for high-bitrates ???

You said that your goal is the "best" visual quality, and not good PSNR/SSIM results...

Imo for high-bitrates you should use MPEG quantization (or a HQ dedicated CQM) !!!

Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Old 13th September 2004, 20:13   #19  |  Link
CQ
MPEG1 FAN ;-)

try watching this

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?postid=544162

you'll understand (i gues ) what kind the test i'm planning)
and here... thread closed. see you there!
Old 14th September 2004, 00:51   #20  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

No trellis is the god of good features

Anyway listen to Teegedeck and soulhunter, they know what there talking about.
Closed Thread