Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 23rd November 2003, 00:40   #1  |  Link
MyNameIsNeo

Huge WAV file 4.57GB

Okay i have a cricket match that I recorded using my TV-Tuner card [whole match is about 20 GB].
Now I recorded 8 hours seperately into MPEG2 format and then tried to use the SVCD-> DivX conversion guide.

I split audio using DVD2avi
then converted it to WAV using Diskwriter of Winamp

It came out to be 4.57 GB. When I tried to play it, it said file damaged [in winamp and in XingMP3 player]. Windows Media player 9 opens the file and it doesn't quiteshow me the correct duration.
shows about 39 minutes and stops right after that time(it plays correctly for 39 minutes), when infact the length of the audio is more like 446 minutes.
U have to understand that this is a cricket match.

If the file okay? or is this a bug in the softwares that try to play it.

Im running WINXP Pro with 1GB of PC2700 RAM and Athlon XP 2200+. HDD is huge[80GB].

please help

regards,
Neo
MyNameIsNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 02:11   #2  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

What is your disk partition type? is it FAT32 ? or NTFS? FAT32 can only handle files of 4GB or less , my guess is that you reached the limit and made the file end prematurely.
Regards
Cyph

cypher_soundz

Windows XP| 2GB ECC DDR 2100 ram| 160gb WD 7200rpm 40gb seagate 7200rpm |40gb seagate 7200rpm | Dual 2400MP X1 ;) [L5 mod]| MSI K7D| ATI radeon 9800 PRO 128MB tv-out/dv-out | Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350| Samsung dvd (firmware:612-B) | NEC 1300 dvd+r

cypher_soundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 05:41   #3  |  Link
Kedirekin

If the file is 4.57 GB, it can't be FAT32.

Actually, you probably reached a size limit in the various softwares you tried to open it with. I doubt many audio software makers ever expected anyone to open 4 GB wav files. The largest size they probably anticipated was 800 MB from CDDA, and maybe smaller than that (since CDs are usually split up into tracks).

By my calculation, 4.57 GB is equal to 463.62 minutes of audio (assuming a 44.1 KHz 16 bit stereo stream), so it looks like all the audio is there.

Incidentally, 39 minutes is about 394 MB - I have no idea why WMP would truncate it at 394 MB, but then WMP has always been a little odd.

Now the question is, what are you going to do with that huge WAV file? You probably want to encode it to some other format, and who knows if the encoding tools will have any similar file size limits/assumptions. You can only try it and see.

Alternatively, it sounds like the original format was not WAV (based on the fact that you used WinAMP to create the WAV). If that is the case, you may be able to find a tool that converts it directly from the original format into the format you want, thereby avoiding the file size issue altogether.

Last edited by Kedirekin; 23rd November 2003 at 05:44.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:15   #4  |  Link
MyNameIsNeo

Quote:
Originally posted by cypher_soundz
What is your disk partition type? is it FAT32 ? or NTFS? FAT32 can only handle files of 4GB or less , my guess is that you reached the limit and made the file end prematurely.
Regards
Cyph
NTFS
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:19   #5  |  Link
jcsston
Matroska Dev

The size limit of normal wav files is 4GB because of the 32-bit unsigned integers that the format uses to store the size of the data.
Because of that some of the newer Sonic Foundry sofware use a proprietary .w64 format, which uses 64-bit numbers and allow much larger files (about 16,383PB).

You can use BeSweet to convert the MPA directly to MP3, Vorbis, or whichever format you what.
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:19   #6  |  Link
MyNameIsNeo

Quote:
Originally posted by Kedirekin
If the file is 4.57 GB, it can't be FAT32.

Actually, you probably reached a size limit in the various softwares you tried to open it with. I doubt many audio software makers ever expected anyone to open 4 GB wav files. The largest size they probably anticipated was 800 MB from CDDA, and maybe smaller than that (since CDs are usually split up into tracks).

By my calculation, 4.57 GB is equal to 463.62 minutes of audio (assuming a 44.1 KHz 16 bit stereo stream), so it looks like all the audio is there.

Incidentally, 39 minutes is about 394 MB - I have no idea why WMP would truncate it at 394 MB, but then WMP has always been a little odd.

Now the question is, what are you going to do with that huge WAV file? You probably want to encode it to some other format, and who knows if the encoding tools will have any similar file size limits/assumptions. You can only try it and see.

Alternatively, it sounds like the original format was not WAV (based on the fact that you used WinAMP to create the WAV). If that is the case, you may be able to find a tool that converts it directly from the original format into the format you want, thereby avoiding the file size issue altogether.
What I am trying to do is to use Gordian Knot to encode the whole cricket match into DivX so I can get a Final output size that can actually fit into 1-2 DVD+R discs.

Originally there are 8 MPG2 files and DVD2AVI allows you to open them all, making it look like one file. And then I extracted the audio into MP2. Then MP2-> WAV caused a 4.57 GB file and then I couldnt load it on Winamp.
Please don't ask me what a Cricket match is.
Very similar to american baseball but one innings last about 3hours and 45 minutes. and then its time for the opposition to bat.

thats my issue.

regards,
Chirag
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:25   #7  |  Link
b00zed
Person

LAME might be your answer

LAME can transcode from MPEG-1 Audio layers 1, 2 and 3 to mp3, you just have to tell it what the input file format is, but whether it accepts the one you're getting from your tuner card is another matter. I'm assuming here that it's mp2, based on the fact that your card's giving you an MPEG-2 video...

My suggestion is that if it's mp2 coming from the tuner card, you don't need to convert it to wav if you're using LAME to encode it.

On a similar note I tried to use WinAMP's diskwriter the other day on a 109min movie and it screwed up repeatedly, so I wouldn't trust it at all

Edit: Time delays rock. If it's mp2 then LAME's your answer
Cricket is not similar to baseball; it's actually good

Last edited by b00zed; 23rd November 2003 at 06:27.
b00zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 06:31   #8  |  Link
MyNameIsNeo

Re: LAME might be your answer

Quote:
Originally posted by b00zed
LAME can transcode from MPEG-1 Audio layers 1, 2 and 3 to mp3, you just have to tell it what the input file format is, but whether it accepts the one you're getting from your tuner card is another matter. I'm assuming here that it's mp2, based on the fact that your card's giving you an MPEG-2 video...

My suggestion is that if it's mp2 coming from the tuner card, you don't need to convert it to wav if you're using LAME to encode it.

On a similar note I tried to use WinAMP's diskwriter the other day on a 109min movie and it screwed up repeatedly, so I wouldn't trust it at all

Edit: Time delays rock. If it's mp2 then LAME's your answer
Cricket is not similar to baseball; it's actually good
good to hear u like cricket. Actually this is the Cricket match I just recorded a few days back. India vs. New Zealand.

India scored a Tournament record high of 353/5 in the TVS CUP.
I wanted the best recording quality and the whole match is about 20GB. (split into 8 1-hour files). Next time, i'll use different recording techniques.

best of regards,
Neo

Last edited by MyNameIsNeo; 23rd November 2003 at 06:34.
Old 24th November 2003, 01:26   #9  |  Link
Wolfman
spice captain

just encode away

just encode way... do all your 8 individual chunks to a good size of divx and then join them ... if you feel the need too...
Old 24th November 2003, 04:28   #10  |  Link
b00zed
Person

That's fine as long as the tool you use to join the seperate files into one can cope with joining seperately encoded audio streams. In other words this rules otu virtualdub or its variants. I've found that you can only join two clips with audio in them if they were originally one clip, ie the audio was originally a single stream. I'm sure there are tools out there that don't have any trouble though.
Old 24th November 2003, 13:56   #11  |  Link
joshyg2

Goldwave reads all file sizes.

www.goldwave.com

I opened a 15 gb wav file before.
Old 24th November 2003, 14:50   #12  |  Link
DeXT

Below is a modified Nero (5.5) WAV input plugin I wrote some time ago that should be able to read large WAV files (>4 GB). With it you can encode your file to MP3 or whatever output format supported by Nero (take a look here for a bunch of additional plugins).

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.p...&&#entry112418

Hope it helps.

DeXT
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote