Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th November 2015, 20:34   #34281  |  Link
huhn

what is your OS, GPU and driver version?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 20:37   #34282  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
the frame jumping back and forth is still there though, as are the issues when using the gtx 980 for output and qs for decoding and deinterlacing.
a quick guess on my part: I once had a user reporting problems and after some digging we found out that uploading to the gpu was extremely slow for him, when uploading to rgb textures, but was much faster when uploading to nv12 surfaces. In order to test this, please activate dxva scaling and zoom into the image a bit, so that dxva scaling actually gets active. This forces madvr to upload the frames as nv12. When doing that, do the qs problems go away? The subtitle positions are probably a completely different topic.
Hi madshi, you were right, the settings are reset, both the file and the registry entries get deleted, so that's not the reason why the subtitle positioning got fixed. In fact, after doing what you asked me, I can now say with certainty that the subtitle positioning issue happens only when DXVA is used for the scaling of the luma and of the chroma. If DXVA is not used for scaling, then the subtitles are at their proper location in the image. It's as if DXVA is used for scaling, then the subtitles are kept at their original position in the frame in absolute values, which is now somewhere in the middle-left part of the image. And yes, using software decoding + DXVA scaling also shows this issue; it's not related to QuickSync.

When "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled" for QuickSync, then the frames were sent interlaced to the renderer and since "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" after a madVR reset settings, madVR was using DXVA to do the scaling and that's why the subtitle positioning issue was always happening in this configuration.

These are my results when using QuickSync for decoding, but the resizing and video output are performed by the GTX 980:

1. With QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled", DXVA is always used for deinterlacing, and these are the playback results:
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and there are no issues with switching fullscreen and back, nor with skipping in the file, nor with subtitle positioning
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used, and there are issues only with subtitle positioning; I find it strange that luma DXVA is used in this configuration - is this normal?

- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and just like for DX9 there are no issues whatsoever
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> just like for DX9, luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used, and there are issues only with subtitle positioning

2. With QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = enabled", QuickSync is doing the deinterlacing, and these are the playback results:
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic are used, and if you just wait after opening the file, the sound plays but no image, the madVR buffers stay at 1; if you get impatient and start skipping in the file, past the scrolling credits part towards the talking heads segment, you might get lucky and get unstuck and playback is smooth as if there's nothing wrong; skipping again might prove lucky, or you might get stuck again on some frame freeze, and you might even get in a state where the sound gets moving but the image is like refreshing one frame every few seconds or so, or not recovering at all, but you can close the playback in the player without issues (so the player does not freeze); no issues with subtitle positioning
- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above

- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = enabled" + luma Bicubic + chroma Bicubic -> same as above

- DX9 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma DXVA + chroma Bicubic -> luma DXVA + chroma DXVA are used (again, is this normal?), and there are all the issues above + the issue with subtitle positioning
- DX11 + "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinterlacing = disabled" + luma DXVA + chroma Bicubic -> same as for DX9

I think it's fair to also say what the results are with EVR CP:
- with QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = disabled" -> no issues whatsoever
- with QuickSync "Enable Adaptive HW deinterlacing = enabled" -> I get the same issues as with madVR (in this configuration with the GTX 980 for output; there were no issues when the iGPU was used for output!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
Hi madshi

I have posted in the LAV thread an issue.

With the new madVR0.89.17 play the DVD Aliens(test dvd without the big-vobs) with 4:3 format (menu and video), but it should be 16:9. With EVR it plays fine with 16:9 format.
I confirm there is an AR issue for DVD playback myself, with a DVD of my own. But this is not new, it's here since at least 0.89.15 (did not test further back).

The copyright notice is 4:3 and is displayed properly, the studio intro is also 4:3 and no issues, and then the menu appears, which is a static image, and should be displayed as 16:9, but madVR displays it as 4:3. In EVR it's 16:9. No sample from me, but I think there needs to be the two videos included as well to reproduce this, and I don't know how to cut the vobs with the intro videos in.

Last edited by KoD; 16th November 2015 at 21:09. Reason: added EVR CP results
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 20:52   #34283  |  Link
Knight77

Warner306 in relation to the new scalers which are the settings you suggest now for 720p to 1080p and 1080p to 1080p?
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 21:54   #34284  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Warner306 in relation to the new scalers which are the settings you suggest now for 720p to 1080p and 1080p to 1080p?
I gave a response to this in the Kodi forums. These sharpeners are new to me, so I would ask others instead of relying on settings posted months ago. I will continue to change my preference into the future and find it is harder to recommend specific settings with these shaders.

So I don't know what is best.

I used to use SuperRes alone, but might try adding enhance detail in the future.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 22:34   #34285  |  Link
Knight77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I gave a response to this in the Kodi forums. These sharpeners are new to me, so I would ask others instead of relying on settings posted months ago. I will continue to change my preference into the future and find it is harder to recommend specific settings with these shaders.

So I don't know what is best.

I used to use SuperRes alone, but might try adding enhance detail in the future.
Thanks Warner306 and please don't get my question wrong or feel bothered about it: thanks you in particular I tried and get focused on some very good settings so to me you are like a trustable source. Obviously I'll check other options too, but by now looks like sharpen edges (0.2) and enhance detail (0.5) are a good starting point.
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 01:28   #34286  |  Link
digitech

@Madshi can you pls give us a proper MadVR profile for 1.- 1080p, 2.- 720p and 3.- below 720p (SD) profile for all kinds of video files.., i have been trying lots of combinations but always thing get mixed up, sd files playing in hd and viceversa
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 02:34   #34287  |  Link
JarrettH

I just updated to the latest from 88.21

Zoom control...a little help?...

Do I need to use this if I'm just playing video files on a computer and watching via computer monitor? I want to maintain the aspect throughout the movie.

Using touch window from inside in MPC

Last edited by JarrettH; 17th November 2015 at 02:44.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 03:38   #34288  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

If that new SSIM-based downscaling algorithm can be used, would be interesting to see how it affects SuperRes (which relies on downscaling, right?).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 04:05   #34289  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Thanks Warner306 and please don't get my question wrong or feel bothered about it: thanks you in particular I tried and get focused on some very good settings so to me you are like a trustable source. Obviously I'll check other options too, but by now looks like sharpen edges (0.2) and enhance detail (0.5) are a good starting point.
Low values with image enhancements are important. Higher values should only be used when upscaling by using sharpening applied from upscaling refinement.

Last edited by Warner306; 17th November 2015 at 04:07.
Old 17th November 2015, 04:07   #34290  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
I just updated to the latest from 88.21

Do I need to use this if I'm just playing video files on a computer and watching via computer monitor? I want to maintain the aspect throughout the movie.

These settings are primarily aimed at users with Constant Image Height (CIH) projection set-ups, so it would be unlikely you would have to change anything if you didn't use these settings before.
Old 17th November 2015, 04:14   #34291  |  Link
huhn

these settings are very useful for 4/3 sources with 16/9 content on a 16/9 screen. just as an example.

screen config is for CIH projectors
Old 17th November 2015, 04:44   #34292  |  Link
JarrettH

This must be a bug...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/759/22...8a969572_o.jpg

I don't have Lanczos3 AR enabled, I have Jinc3 AR ticked. To check, I tried every upscaler, they work, but when Jinc3 AR is chosen it uses Lanczos3 AR instead.

Also, can someone explain what's happening in this chain?

720x576 video --> 1680x1080

chroma -> super-xbr
image y -> super-xbr
image x -> super-xbr <- catmull-rom

The height was doubled and downsized - what happened to the width? It looks like it was doubled, but what upscaler brought it to 1680?

for the zoom control feedback

Last edited by JarrettH; 17th November 2015 at 04:53.
Old 17th November 2015, 04:54   #34293  |  Link
huhn

jinc3 AR can't downscale so lanczos is used. working as intended.

even through the images shows upscaling the image is still downscaled at the same time AR correction.

BTW. this file need deintelracing and is flag wrong or totally wrong encoded.
Old 17th November 2015, 05:17   #34294  |  Link
JarrettH

Yeah, it was encoded in the video. It looks terrible

Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 11:54   #34295  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post

The "crop black bars" feature is useful, since it's applied before scaling, so scalers have less job with contents that have black bars.
And the top checkbox on this tab (I don't remember what it's called), that allows not to upscale contents if the cut lines are just couple of lines, is really useful with cropping and with some strange sources (like web download files that are sometimes not perfect full hd).
Old 17th November 2015, 15:49   #34296  |  Link
avinab

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what is your OS, GPU and driver version?
Os is windows 10 build 1511 ,nvidia gtx 980 and latest nvidia driver version 358.91 .NNEDI3 was working on madvr 0.89.16. but in 0.89.17 NNEDI3 is not enabled.It goes to JINC
avinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 18:32   #34297  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
If that new SSIM-based downscaling algorithm can be used, would be interesting to see how it affects SuperRes (which relies on downscaling, right?).
While I agree it would be interesting, it might not necessarily be the best way to implement this SSIM downscaling algorithm. For more information see my previous comment.

Quote:
If it were just the problems with a flat luma channel, I might invest the work to detect that situation and switch to a different algo in that case. But the inappropriate "edge filling" which sometimes occurs is a problem that I don't know how to solve. Which is why I haven't tried to improve Bilateral chroma upscaling yet. Maybe Shiandow has some ideas there? I'm not sure if anything can be done there, though. Maybe it's not possible to solve the inappropriate "edge filling" without removing all the benefits Bilateral has in other situations.
I think preventing this 'edge filling' entirely will require a different algorithm, you'll need to detect edges in a somewhat more intelligent manner. Although, if you don't mind doing an extra processing pass, I did manage to get some nice results if I combine a somewhat modified Bilateral scaler it with a softened SuperRes pass, that's still highly experimental though.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 22:37   #34298  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
While I agree it would be interesting, it might not necessarily be the best way to implement this SSIM downscaling algorithm. For more information see my previous comment.
Thanks, I missed that
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 10:59   #34299  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
...If it were just the problems with a flat luma channel, I might invest the work to detect that situation and switch to a different algo in that case. But the inappropriate "edge filling" which sometimes occurs is a problem that I don't know how to solve. Which is why I haven't tried to improve Bilateral chroma upscaling yet. Maybe Shiandow has some ideas there? I'm not sure if anything can be done there, though. Maybe it's not possible to solve the inappropriate "edge filling" without removing all the benefits Bilateral has in other situations....
Do you happen to have some screenshots lying around that show some of the mentioned problems? Personally I absolutely love the bilateral chroma upscaling from madVR in the screenshot comparisons I did some months ago, especially when you take into account the very low performance cost. I took some examples from recorded Amiga games (lots of pixelation), real world stuff (movies, TV shows and very old video camera recordings) and also artificially created graphics from the PC demo scene.

I found some research on the web about an adaptive bilateral upscaling filter implementation, maybe you can use or at the very least borrow some ideas (if you don't know the paper already):
http://www.interdigital.com/research...age_upsampling (direct download)

Apart from NNEDI3 even the simple bilateral upscaler is definitely my favourite chroma upscaler.

Last edited by iSunrise; 18th November 2015 at 11:07.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 17:25   #34300  |  Link
fredgido

Love the thin edges enhancement! On anime it makes the outlines look so sharp (I set it to maxium)! Shapen and crispen looks slightly better on very moderate amounts. On anime, 1080p BD encodes it improves more consistently a lot more than on 480p dvd rips from what I tested. Looks like it is more hard to detect edges on low resolution blurry anime. Enhance detail only makes encoding artifacts more visible.

I will use the enchantments and try to tweak when watching anime and try different quality and art animes for some time then post my experience.

Last edited by fredgido; 18th November 2015 at 17:38.
fredgido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling