Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2005, 01:43   #1  |  Link
JohnV

Nero Recode feature wish list

Hi all.

Gimme your suggestions of new features you'd like to see in Recode.
I'll create a list of suggested new features here.

- Constant quality mode
- Manual bitrate adjustment (set bitrate exactly by hand)
- Audio gain adjustment (planned already)
-

Juha Laaksonheimo
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 01:44   #2  |  Link
temporance

VfW wrapper for the video codec
temporance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 02:30   #3  |  Link
slavickas
I'm Shpongled

if possible VBR over all files in current task, like i drop ~20 mvidz and would get in total cd size
slavickas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 02:40   #4  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Directshow, vfw or CLI interface for the codec...
ok, seriously... i hate recode.
But since i paid for it and there's someone who cares to improve it here's my suggestions:
- all the juicy (and necessary) things you already mentioned
- a convenient CLI field (like in divx codec) where ALL parameters could be manually changed in a single text box.
- remove the rotating nero digital logo (sorry but i hate moving things that eat CPU cycles...) or at least make it stoppable (maybe clicking over it?).
- stats window option (like xvid/divx) with customizable refresh rate.
- add external audio input (so more audio tracks can be added to the final mp4).
- mux only option (the ability to mux raw AVC, AAC, Subs, etc streams into an .MP4...)
- ... demux option ...
- output to .avi (for old style editing until there are some cool apps like virtualdub with .mp4 input/output...)
- frame markers for "cutting away" unneded parts (for example start and end frame...)
- start/end credits "overquantization" option (to reserve more bits when they're needed...)
- a nice anamorphic encode option.
- Customizable AR for badly mastered DVDs or sources. Pro's may still use avisynth but a complete product must have this option...
- integrated denoiser/sharpen filters so newbies who dont know how to use avisynth can use that for denoising or sharpening their sources... with preview...
- an advanced and wizard modes so beginners will not be scared by the tons of new stuff and pro's can customize everything.
- sliders for resize and "keep AR" option so the vertical or orizontal values are automatically adjusted.

Is that enaugh for now?

EDIT: i forgot to add a batch and persistent queue.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 26th January 2005 at 02:51.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 03:21   #5  |  Link
acidsex

as an indepedent film maker, DRM needs to be included for us. Right now I would say that is the ONLY edge MS has at thi point in the game. Thye may not have quality but they can protect content and revenue streams. Once ND incoporates at the very least 128 bit encryption (448bit would be even better), then ND will become more widely adopted then MS' lame offerings.
acidsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 03:37   #6  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

DRM in windows media is "evil"... use google or search the forums to know why...
Remember, if you can see it you can copy it... there is no "perfect" way to protect things...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 26th January 2005 at 03:39.
Old 26th January 2005, 03:56   #7  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

First off, all the suggestions I give are from the perspective of a power user who likes to know all the internal technical stuff for the codec he's using.

Concerning the Nero Recode interface, the only problem is that the descriptions of the options under the "Visual Enhancement" screen are too vague. It would be nice if they either said outright what AVC encoder tools they correspond to (if they do correspond to specific encoder tools), or if they had descriptions next to them saying what the hell it is they do ("Psychovisual enhancements" being my only example here). Mouse-over tool tips would be fine too. Don't be afraid to get technical; at worst it will simply clue newbies in to the fact that they shouldn't be messing with options if they don't understand the jargon-laden descriptions for them. That said, all the options in all the other screens are just fine as they are; their names say exactly what they need to to tell me what they do.

As with every video codec, the more you open up the encoder to fine-tuning by experts, the better. I don't know if this is applicable to Nero's encoder, but control over the placement and bitrate allocation for consecutive I-frames like Xvid probably couldn't hurt. I'm also awaiting the ability to use custom quant matrices (or is that not a feature of the AVC profile Nero encodes for?)

Finally, it would really make my day if Recode was expanded slightly to be able to do some of the things VirtualDub/VDM can do, such as mux in multiple external audio tracks, set the video frame rate to match the audio length, and especially cut and join .mp4 files (with multiple audio tracks) without reencoding.
Prettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 04:13   #8  |  Link
acidsex

Personally, I like the one option in Procoder that lets you que up say 10 files and stitch/join them together duting the encode. As it stands, Nero analyzes each files first and then encodes each file seperately. Still no way to bring all the files together in the end.
acidsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 10:31   #9  |  Link
daldrum

I would also appreciate an option to save custom expert AVC settings.

Or a Set as default button would do.

Last edited by daldrum; 26th January 2005 at 10:59.
daldrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 11:00   #10  |  Link
trevorharris

Frame Rate Converter

Please can we have a frame rate converter. Many portable devices are best run at 15fps.
trevorharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 11:22   #11  |  Link
Leo 69

Separate Nero Codecpack
Leo 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 11:25   #12  |  Link
bond

i want that the dshow filters of nero are usable in dshow without the need for a nero tool (eg recode, showtime or whatever)!

this includes:
- chapters able to be usable not only in showtime
- subtitles able to be usable not only in showtime
- multiple audio streams output to be usable not only in showtime
- dshow encoder to be useable in graphedit (not only in recode/nve)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 13:18   #13  |  Link
Elias
Be Brave!

I would like a Nero Digital Codec Pack. This includes an mp4 splitter, Nero Digital Audio/Video vfw so that the Nero Audio and Video Codec can be used in programs like VirtualDub. Also, I'd like an mp4 file output like they had in DivX Pro 5.02 since VirtualDub can't save to mp4 as of now. The Codec pack should include ASP and AVC encoding, and everything else that is included in Nero Recode 2. Let's just face it, Nero Recode isn't a good encoding software; it's just that for now, it's the best one to encode fully compliant mp4 files with great quality. I'd also like the mp4 file output to be generic compatible, that is, able to input a DivX/XviD/3ivX and other kind of compliant MPEG-4 codecs for the video and audio to the mp4 fileformat as a fully compliant mp4 file following the MPEG-4 standard. I also want it to handle aac audio, which is something that DivX Pro couldn't. A Nero Digital Codec Pack would rule. People like me who only want to use the MPEG-4 encoding, and it's boring to install everything else (like the entire NeroVision suite, which takes 34 mb, when a Nero Digital Codec Pack would only take 10 mb at most, and we wouldn't have a superfluous bunch of software that we don't want). I mean, we have to have in mind that not everyone have high speed internet connections, most people still are under 56k etc. I'm not saying that you guys are doing a bad job, this is just a request list. For what it's worth, I've completely stopped using XviD/DivX etc and converted completely to Nero Digital since I don't want to encode to weird implementations of MPEG-4, I want to follow the standard Keep up the great work!
Old 26th January 2005, 13:41   #14  |  Link
Snollygoster
SwiftAVS Developer

I would like Full ISO compatibility for the MP4 container. That is ISO Subtitles and Chapters and not just a ND way of implementing them.
Old 26th January 2005, 13:44   #15  |  Link
Latexxx

Reading multiple audio tracks and subtitles from single vob files which are on the hd.
Latexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 15:10   #16  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Maybe a Win64bit port too would be appreciated...
Old 26th January 2005, 15:20   #17  |  Link
Clock

*)some sort of xvid-like first pass. So that I can see, how much space this encode would need if it were for full quality. Setting a bitrate without any reference-value seems tricky to me...
*)mux/demux all sort of stuff (multiple audio streams plus subtitles)
*)mouse-over tooltips
*)preview window (don't have a clue which effect deblocking will have, for example)

By the way: about when might we hope to see the first improvements?

However, big thanks for asking and maybe even caring.

Clock
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 16:12   #18  |  Link
thegeby

ISO subtitles
thegeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 16:33   #19  |  Link
Mr_Schizo

-ISO subtitles and chapters
-Fix the slowdown of the AVC implentation in Recode (the cli encoder from ateme is so much faster than in recode)
-the possibility to use Ifo's+vob's (from the main movie) as Input (no need anymore for a complete DVD structure)
-don't translate Recode into german
Mr_Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 16:33   #20  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

another one: the possibility to set the output filename...