Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 19th November 2009, 04:40   #1241  |  Link
ibanez

Is anyone using Mkvmerge GUI 2.9.8 with Windows 7 64-bit?

I muxed an MKV (video extracted from Blu-ray with Eac3to) and a DTS file (and chapters) to an MKV file of around 28 GB in size this morning and it took around 5 minutes. With XP 32-bit it would take 30-45 minutes. I have never seen any performance gain from Win 7 for 32-bit applications so it is abit strange.
Old 19th November 2009, 06:06   #1242  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Yeah, I do, works great. As for how long it takes to mux, it depends on hd usage - it is fastest for me from one disk to another. Very slow if I try and do a second operation at the same time, like file scan, copy, rar, etc.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:36   #1243  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Thanks for the analysis. The problem is actually worse. Technical explanation:
After several hours spent debugging in the depths of wxWidgets I finally discovered that this is a bug in the compiler's runtime library. After fixing that particular issue the .mmg files look fine again. Here's a build for you guys:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-180-setup.exe

Note that .mmg files (as well as jobs as those are just .mmg files saved in a special directory) created with builds after 2.9.8-164 and prior to 2.9.8-180 are unusable and should be deleted.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 20th November 2009, 18:43   #1244  |  Link
b66pak

here are some .mp4 that i converted to .mkv (using mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.9.8-build20091120-180)...the resulted .mkv's can't be demuxed by mkvextract!

http://www.mediafire.com/?gwywzimomqx
_
Old 20th November 2009, 20:18   #1245  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

True, and that will most likely never be changed.

Old 20th November 2009, 21:14   #1246  |  Link
b66pak

why is that?...and what is the point in muxing .mkv's that can't be demuxed?
_
Old 20th November 2009, 21:27   #1247  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Matroska files are not ZIP files. Meaning that it's not a container format meant for transport or temporary storage. Not everything that would be technically possible is useful and should be implemented.

If you don't see a use for a container apart from putting stuff in it and taking it out again (and losing information in the process) then Matroska might not be the container for you.

Old 21st November 2009, 21:39   #1248  |  Link
WillKane

I've used Matroska to store my TV captures mainly because your GUI is so easy to use and has worked very well. Big thanks for providing it.

However I hope that you could revise your stance about demuxing because I would feel much more safer if I could later get streams out for possible re-encoding.
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:26   #1249  |  Link
sneaker_ger

If you really want to demux those files set the "default duration" according to the fps in the header editor. The only problem you'll get is that N-VOPs dropped during the muxing process are not reconstructed during the demux. (I guess it would be possible to reconstruct them if the original file had a constant frame rate but I don't know any program that's actually able to do it.)
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:02   #1250  |  Link
Palikrovol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
After several hours spent debugging in the depths of wxWidgets I finally discovered that this is a bug in the compiler's runtime library. After fixing that particular issue the .mmg files look fine again. Here's a build for you guys:

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-180-setup.exe

Note that .mmg files (as well as jobs as those are just .mmg files saved in a special directory) created with builds after 2.9.8-164 and prior to 2.9.8-180 are unusable and should be deleted.
It works again, thank you very much
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:58   #1251  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKane View Post
I've used Matroska to store my TV captures mainly because your GUI is so easy to use and has worked very well. Big thanks for providing it.

However I hope that you could revise your stance about demuxing because I would feel much more safer if I could later get streams out for possible re-encoding.
Like sneaker_ger said, there are possibilities. And the fact that you can watch the files means that there are even more ways to demux stuff, just not with mkvextract.

One problem and the foremost reason why I won't implement this in mkvextract itself is that files without a default duration most often do not have a fixed frame rate. Such video tracks cannot be put into AVI files without them getting all wrong regarding A/V sync. A possiblity would be to "extract" them into MP4 files instead because MP4 files don't need a fixed frame rate. That however would require tons of work because mkvextract doesn't have a MP4 muxer built in, and even though there are libraries that make this easier this is waaaaaaaaaaay more work than I'm willing to spend on such a feature.

Old 22nd November 2009, 10:08   #1252  |  Link
avivahl

What about extracting the raw streams (separated) each to its own raw file? (instead "to a different container)
Does mkvextract supports that?
Old 22nd November 2009, 16:36   #1253  |  Link
VHT

Hi,i've got a strange problem with mkvmerge. I currently use lg-bd390 blu-ray player to watch my mkv muxed movies.Audio and video runs just smooth when I mux raw h.264 stream and raw DTS stream into mkv with mkvmergeGUI. Yesterday I noticed that if I open the mkv movie I've created from raw streams with mkvmerge and mux it again (and add subs or add nothing) i get drops in audio that lasts less than a half second.Using the same method with DD audio, i get no problems.Any ideas?
Old 22nd November 2009, 18:18   #1254  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivahl View Post
What about extracting the raw streams (separated) each to its own raw file? (instead "to a different container)
Does mkvextract supports that?
It's possible. Use the switches "--raw" or "--fullraw". See the documentation for more info.
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:23   #1255  |  Link
b66pak

Quote:
One problem and the foremost reason why I won't implement this in mkvextract itself is that files without a default duration most often do not have a fixed frame rate. Such video tracks cannot be put into AVI files without them getting all wrong regarding A/V sync.
don't we have already TimeCodes for this kind of situations?
_

P.S. @sneaker_ger thanks for the tip!
_

Last edited by b66pak; 22nd November 2009 at 20:12.
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:21   #1256  |  Link
WillKane

Sorry but I misunderstood that mkvextract would be abandoned altogether. It makes much sense that mkvextract doesn't write to AVI without default frame duration. When I mux M2V files default duration is written to file as before.
Old 24th November 2009, 00:07   #1257  |  Link
Isochroma

So MKVextract's gonna be toast, eh?
Old 24th November 2009, 00:14   #1258  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Huh? No one said that. I was talking about this one particular type of video codec with that certain problem of not having a default duration field. However, mkvextract has never been my highest priority. Priority for me is creating Matroska files, not taking them apart.

Old 24th November 2009, 18:58   #1259  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
here are some .mp4 that i converted to .mkv (using mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.9.8-build20091120-180)...the resulted .mkv's can't be demuxed by mkvextract!

http://www.mediafire.com/?gwywzimomqx
_
Try my ffmpeg build to remux mkv to mp4. Don't use official ffmpeg build. They won't work on mkv.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dir...73.7z/download
Old 24th November 2009, 19:36   #1260  |  Link
b66pak

@ roozhou thanks...
_
Closed Thread