Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th November 2023, 05:56   #1  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

PGS: RLE Pixel Count vs Dimensions

Does anyone know of any professionally-produced PGS streams with objects containing line counts that don't agree with the object's declared dimensions?

Everything in my collection has [width] number of pixels per line and [height] number of lines, but I'm not sure if that's always the case.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2023, 10:34   #2  |  Link
cubicibo

In an epoch, once you define an object ID, the provided dimensions are used to do memory allocation and that memory layout shall remain until the end of the epoch.
While you could provide RLE data that decode to an object with smaller width and height than the target memory slot, you end up with undefined behaviour. The outcome depends solely on the vendor implementation of the decoder in the said case.
E.g, the composition controller could copy the object according to the defined slot dimensions, displaying residual object data not erased by the new, smaller, object.

Beside, how would you compute the decode duration in this case? To the current object shape or the buffer?

Last edited by cubicibo; 14th November 2023 at 15:53.
cubicibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2023, 16:08   #3  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

I may as well call this work-in-progress Cubicibo.PGS4NET.dll.

I won't do that, of course. But if this project goes anywhere it will have been because of you.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote