Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th February 2012, 19:38   #12021  |  Link
SamuriHL

Holy snikes....madshi's back!
Old 8th February 2012, 19:42   #12022  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

What about my back? I think my front is prettier...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 19:45   #12023  |  Link
Budtz

I have bin having problems when pressing "page down" and switching to the next video-file. mediaplayer just hangs with a black screen. This only happens sometimes thou and not everytime. I installed 0.80 when it was released and ever since it has bin this way. there have bin problems with this in the past but it seems to change sometimes when a new version of madvr is released.
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 19:47   #12024  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
What about my back? I think my front is prettier...
LOL. Just happy to see you working on a new version, that's all.
Old 8th February 2012, 19:52   #12025  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I have bin having problems when pressing "page down" and switching to the next video-file. mediaplayer just hangs with a black screen. This only happens sometimes thou and not everytime. I installed 0.80 when it was released and ever since it has bin this way. there have bin problems with this in the past but it seems to change sometimes when a new version of madvr is released.
When it happens again with the next build, create a freeze report and send it to me. I'll explain later how to do that.
Old 8th February 2012, 19:55   #12026  |  Link
dansrfe

madshi, the frame drop problem was related to my wallpaper automatically changing (Windows 7 wallpaper changer thing). Once I turned it off the problem was gone. I assumed exclusive mode would be "exclusive" enough to take over that part too, though. Perhaps madVR can pause the wallpaper changer while in exclusive mode?

Last edited by dansrfe; 8th February 2012 at 20:07.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:04   #12027  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Oh, good to know that the solution to the problem was so "easy". To be honest, my to do list is already too long to add things like this to it at this point in time. Maybe I'll reconsider if the problem resurfaces after I've reached v1.0.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:41   #12028  |  Link

Quote:
I don't think there's anything I can do about NVidia glitches. From my point of view it's a clear NVidia driver issue. All those funny tweak options for avoiding glitches, plus the D3D10 presentation path are things I implemented just to help NVidia users avoid those nasty glitches. I've spent weeks developing all that stuff. I think the only way forward would be to convince NVidia to fix the problem in their drivers. For that I'm planning to create a demo project (with full source code) to demonstrate the problem to NVidia without needing madVR. Maybe with the help of that NVidia might be willing to fix the problem. That demo project will take some time to develop, though.
I hope this works and gets them to fix whatever causes this. It's a very frustrating problem. (and not one I blame you for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozokaydin View Post
I have Nvdia GTX 590, Amd 1090T and using MPC-HC+LavFiters+Madvr. Regardless of the video size, i had dropped frames after 15 minutes. No dropped frames before 15 mins. I have to restart video every 15-20 mins to have zero dropped frames. I can not find the problem. Is there any one can offer a solution?
I missed this post before. Are you using LAV CUVID? There is a bug with the latest Nvidia drivers that is causing this to happen on my system, it may be the case for you as well.

Try switching to DXVA2 rather than CUVID, or disable GPU acceleration to see if that fixes the problem.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:44   #12029  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I missed this post before. Are you using LAV CUVID? There is a bug with the latest Nvidia drivers that is causing this to happen on my system, it may be the case for you as well.
FWIW, his post was before the 295 driver was even released.
The worst thing is that issues that take 20 minutes to reproduce are very annoying.

PS:
I don't have any glitch issues otherwise anymore, default settings with just flushing changed to dont/dont/dont/flush&sleep

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th February 2012 at 20:59.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:59   #12030  |  Link
Nevilne

I'm just wondering if it's correct behaviour by madvr to have dither noise (r/g/b 0-1 of 255) when dithering is enabled, with pure black clips (for example, blankclip() in avisynth)?
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 21:15   #12031  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
I should have replied to all posts (needing a reply) since v0.80 release now. If I missed your post, let me know.
Not sure if it does not need an answer, or if you missed it.
But I'd just like to know if it's a bug or if my report was useless.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 21:16   #12032  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
I think I have the same problem, I've narrowed it down to the first file played after each refresh rate change. I.e., I play a file at 24Hz, skip to next, and freeze. Manually close, restart the file, and then skipping to next works fine from then on. But then I switch to 60Hz, and it's the same, skipping after the first file played, freeze, and it's fine from then on. Can you see if it's the same for you?

This is in exclusive mode, windowed mode doesn't suffer from this, and also exclusive D3D11 doesn't (which is the mode I'm running now).
Old 8th February 2012, 21:24   #12033  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
i think it's a bug since i don't have it with evr or overlay. And i would not understand why madvr would need to write datas to disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruncher View Post
pagefile writes most probably, though saying that madvr causes them is a little to fast without analyzing in depth whats going on, you should look where exactly what writes to and then analyze why
^
Old 8th February 2012, 21:26   #12034  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
I'm just wondering if it's correct behaviour by madvr to have dither noise (r/g/b 0-1 of 255) when dithering is enabled, with pure black clips (for example, blankclip() in avisynth)?
Yes. madVR is using TPDF dithering which can up a value up to ~1.0. Already a dither + of 0.5 would result in RGB becoming 1.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:59   #12035  |  Link
shimaflarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflare
MPC-HC opened, without playing anything(Aero disabled):
GPU-Z reports 41MB of used GPU memory.
ProcessExplorer reports 26.9MB(dedicated memory) and 26.3MB(system memory)

Playing a 1080p video using madVR:
madVR reports usage of 115MB.
GPU-Z reports usage of 413MB.
Process Explorer reports usage of 400MB(dedicated memory) and 153MB(system memory).

Something does seems odd...
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT, if that matters.

Edit: Not using any hardware decoding.
It does seem a bit odd. Do you have Aero/Desktop Composition enabled? What happens if you disable that?
As I said in my post, "Aero disabled".

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
I believe I have found a bug.
Switching to the "old path" exclusive mode(as in, not only disabling present several frames in advance, but actually setting the media player to full screen mode) limits the number of backbuffers to 3, in both windowed and exclusive mode.
In which way does the limitation show exactly? The settings dialog seems to allow up to 8 just fine, as far as I can see.
Indeed, the settings dialog allow up to 8, it just ignores any value above 3.
The OSD on exclusive mode and windowed shows something like 2-3/3 backbuffers.
Switching back to windowed mode also shows the same issue.

Steps to reproduce:
Play any video.
Disable "present several frames in advance".
Put anything above 3 on the number of backbuffers (on both exclusive and windowed mode).
Restart MPC-HC, open any video.
The OSD will show something like 2 - 3/3 on backbuffer queue on both exclusive and windowed mode.
Settings dialog will still be at the number of backbuffers you put originally. Setting it to any number above 3 does nothing. Setting it to 1 or 2 does change it.

Last edited by shimaflarex; 9th February 2012 at 00:59.
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 22:04   #12036  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
Indeed, the settings dialog allow up to 8, it it just ignores any value above 3.
The OSD on exclusive mode and windowed shows something like 2-3/3 backbuffers.
Switching back to windowed mode also shows the same issue.
I can confirm this, just changing the setting to the old exclusive mode limits the windowed mode to 3 backbuffers, and any setting above 3 is also ignored by the old exclusive mode. This is on Win7, so it should manage more then 3 (and does in window mode when the setting is active for new exclusive mode)
Old 8th February 2012, 22:19   #12037  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Can you please test whether the issues go away if you tell madVR to disable aero for playback? That would prove that aero is causing the issues. The big question is why you get aero with 080 while you don't get it for 079. It might have to do with a fix I implemented in 080 to work around aero not recognizing a new refresh rate quickly enough. In order to fix that I sometimes disable and reenable aero. Might be that this fix makes problems in your case for some reason...
In a later post I mentioned the problem only effects 25hz material on a 50hz refresh rate. I decided not to post more until you were around again as I have since discovered more. The below only affects 25hz material on a 50hz refresh rate secondary display.

With the new exclusive mode path the queues just don't fill up correctly. I need to enable the option to treat 25hz material as 24hz to get the present and render queues to fill and stay filled. There is a composition rate message in the states which relates to the primary monitor refresh rate (120hz). Disabling aero removes the composition rate message but the queues still do not fill.

If I disable the new exclusive mode path then everything is fine, no stutters or delay, queues fill and stay full and no composition rate message in the stats, even when aero is enabled.

In short for me with 080 everything is fine if I use the old path.

[update]
I can also confirm that using the old path limits the backbuffers to three when exclusive mode is active but I dont see any problem because of it.

Last edited by Razoola; 8th February 2012 at 22:31.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 22:52   #12038  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Pagefile writes most probably, though saying that MadVR causes them is a little to fast without analyzing in depth whats going on, you should look where exactly what writes to and then analyze why
No, I'm just a casual user. I just see this behavior with one constant: madVR (tried with other renderers or players); I won't go further...
And if nobody thinks it's useful or Madshi is not interested, no problem; I just made my "duty": report something strange with some proofs.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 23:15   #12039  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
FWIW, his post was before the 295 driver was even released.
The worst thing is that issues that take 20 minutes to reproduce are very annoying.
I missed that, but it may still be worth trying. And I agree, problems which take any length of time to recreate are a real nuisance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
PS:
I don't have any glitch issues otherwise anymore, default settings with just flushing changed to dont/dont/dont/flush&sleep
I've done some brief testing here, but after 10 minutes or so playback of both 30p@60Hz, and 24p@24Hz, this does indeed seem to be working!
At this point I had given up playing with the flush settings, as things were just being made worse when changing from the defaults with older driver versions.

Of course I've had false hope before, and I need to watch a full film and a longer 30p video to be sure though. (I have some that are a couple of hours in length)

I did a clean install of the latest Nvidia beta drivers the other night, after experimenting with some custom timings which seemed to break something—after one was successfully created, anything else I tried gave me an error saying that my display didn't support it, and it turns out that my display doesn't like anything that isn't the exact CEA/EIA timings anyway.

But something definitely seems to have changed in the new Nvidia drivers regarding timing. After a brief period of +/-0.00001 fluctuation, video is consistently settling at 60.00000Hz and 24.00000Hz for me now.

24/1.001 is less successful (23.970...) but I don't care about that.

Last edited by 6233638; 8th February 2012 at 23:21.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 00:02   #12040  |  Link
clsid

Cosmetic bug:
If the ffmpeg decoders aren't present, madVR options will still default to enabling the H.264 and MPEG2 decoder. It should ideally uncheck and grey out those options.

Suggestion:
If the ffmpeg decoders aren't present during filter registration, then don't include the H264/MPEG2/VC-1 mediatypes.

Feature request:
Currently it is only possible to access the settings when there is an active instance of madVR. Any plans to add an offline configuration mode?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling