Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th November 2011, 21:45   #10681  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
I'm losing my latin here.. ^^;;
Here is a debug log. I start playing a video, minimize the player for 15 seconds, then bring it back up.
When bringing it back up, I clearly see the video going uber fast to catch up with the audio.
I confirm this problem on Windows 7 but only when using ZoomPlayer. It doesn't happen with MPC-HC even when using absolutely the same filters.
I also noticed that if I leave the player minimized for long enough (~40s for 50i TV recording and ~24s for 24p movie ... it looks like 1000 frames) even the audio stops and when I restore it the audio continues from the point before the stop while the video catches up. One other difference between ZoomPlayer and MPC-HC is that when minimized when I hover with the mouse over the button in the taskbar I see the movie playing in the small preview window of MPC while it's stuck for ZP.
Does this make any sense?
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 21:52   #10682  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
According to some users on AVSForum for instance, 10.12 was the latest stable and usable AMD driver. That was the version where you could choose between CCC and the new interface. I have that one installed, chose the new interface. And i use Realtek's ATI HDMI driver. All is fine since, and i have never updated till now, since i see no reason for it and there are now important features added or important bugs removed since then. They only seem to work on game related stuff that doesn't interest me.

My HD5770 has worked like a charm with this driver, so im not eager to upgrade :-)
Thanks for the info. 10.12 had the same problems as the latest for me, but 10.11 works fine. Guess I'll stick with that one as long as I own this card.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 22:00   #10683  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
I confirm this problem on Windows 7 but only when using ZoomPlayer. It doesn't happen with MPC-HC even when using absolutely the same filters.
I also noticed that if I leave the player minimized for long enough (~40s for 50i TV recording and ~24s for 24p movie ... it looks like 1000 frames) even the audio stops and when I restore it the audio continues from the point before the stop while the video catches up. One other difference between ZoomPlayer and MPC-HC is that when minimized when I hover with the mouse over the button in the taskbar I see the movie playing in the small preview window of MPC while it's stuck for ZP.
Does this make any sense?
Thank you very much.
It explains why madshi couldn't reproduce the bug for one, which is a great start!
So yeah, another weird interaction between madVR & ZP, damn!
Old 6th November 2011, 22:36   #10684  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
I'm losing my latin here.. ^^;;
Here is a debug log. I start playing a video, minimize the player for 15 seconds, then bring it back up.
When bringing it back up, I clearly see the video going uber fast to catch up with the audio.
Did you say that you were using ZoomPlayer? I don't remember that. I tried to reproduce with MPC-HC. Anyway, the problem occurs with ZoomPlayer, but not with MPC-HC. Don't know why, will investigate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
what I meant with 'doesnt work' was is 'is too slow'. tested both modes, fullscreen and windowed mode. EVR dxva decoding with MPC internal decoders generally works fine here (with progressive content and no deinterlacing ofc)
Please don't mix DXVA *decoding* with DXVA *deinterlacing*. madVR v0.78 added DXVA *deinterlacing* only, but not DXVA *decoding*. Now I'm not sure what you expected or what your original problems were/are. If the problem is decoding speed, then of course EVR will work better in DXVA decoding mode cause it will save CPU cycles. madVR v0.78 can't do that. If however, all you want is hardware deinterlacing, then madVR should work somewhat comparable to EVR (with software decoding!) in performance, at least if you set madVR to lowest quality settings (Bilinear etc).

I also had asked you which queues exactly are getting empty and which not, when you run into frame drops, and you didn't reply to that question yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
mpc-hc.
So the problem occurs even if the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) is turned off? It doesn't seem to occur for anyone else but you. Is there any special configuration you're using? Some funny splitter or decoder or anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
EDIT: Argh, I think this might be related to GPU downclocking, it's happening on all my sources now.....
So nothing for me to worry about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I think I posted a sample from this before, but this should also be film. This was back when I tried getting 29.97 IVTC'ed to 23.976 but couldn't get it working correctly.
This seems to deinterlace mostly fine with madVR 0.78 on my ATI card. Maybe not perfect, but quite acceptable. At least on a quick check on my computer monitor.

Quote:
I had been under the impression that madVR would have to be doing the decoding to perform deinterlacing.
Nope. I would probably have been crucified if I had limited the deinterlacer to work only for the internal decoders...

But seriously, I've no intention to discourage the use of external decoders, or to artificially promote the use of the internal decoders. I'm doing my best to make both internal and external decoders work as well as possible. I've already had some PM discussions with nevcairiel on how to make LAV Video Decoder and madVR work well together with madVR's new deinterlacing capability. nevcairiel has agreed to implement some small improvements that may benefit future madVR versions.

Quote:
Because that was performing deinterlacing itself
I don't think any of the decoders (except LAV CUVID) really performs deinterlacing. I think it's always the renderer, the decoder just sets flags telling the renderer what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Sorry, 16-235 does get correct levels, but there is a difference between both settings, just like with EVR (if I'm not mistaken that was even implied in your release post?).
According to the log your GPU driver behaves exactly as expected. madVR should adjust accordingly. As a result there should be no visible difference between both settings, except BTB and WTW, when using madVR. I'm aware of that there will be a difference in VMR and EVR in black and white levels, but there should not be any visible difference in madVR. If you do see a difference in madVR, can you please make a screenshot showing the difference, please? Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
It's not that deinterlacing is not working (it's turned on), and it's working fine, only that it seems to be deinterlacing into 25p instead of 50p. It's the same difference I saw with LAV Video's CUVID set to 25/30p output vs. it set to 50/60p output.

I'm gonna switch to NV again later today to check these issues more thoroughly and let you know better.
If your retest confirms your first impressions, can I have a sample, please, with which I can reproduce the smoothness difference? Thanks. After reading robpdotcom's comment (see below) maybe you should try installing 10.11 drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
BTW: The issue with madVR reporting 59.940 only happens with the internal madVR decoder and Haali. Using the internal decoder with LAV Splitter shows a framerate of 29.970 (but the non-smoothness is still present).
That's interesting. Haali seemingly reports a framerate of 59.940 full frames per second (60p) or 120 interlaced fields per second. Current GPUs would not be able to interlace 120i. So madVR turns deinterlacing off. Seems to be a bug in Haali's splitter. Still, I'd like to have a sample, please, that should allow me to add a workaround for the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
An option to remove the annoying sub-menu then? The advantage of Haali's menu over MPC-HC's and madVR's is that I don't have to go to an extra sub-menu just to switch the track/see the chapters, I can see them immediately.
Haha. You seem to have missed that left clicking shows a different context menu than right clicking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is it true then that madvr can do deinterlacing separate from decoding, but with cuvid you must enable decoding (MPEG2) to get that?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG View Post
I've tried 0.78 and the problem is still there. Every time I switch on/off audio processing, video playback stops and sound keeps going, or PotPlayer crashes, sometimes this bug occurs only when I switch audio processing several times rapidly.

I have uploaded MadVR debug logs, maybe this will help you.
I've tried again, but I can't reproduce this problem. Tried switching a lot of times, slow and fast. No crash ever.

Unfortunately logs don't help much for finding crashes. In a future version I will have better methods to find the cause of crashes. But for now I need to be able to reproduce it on my PC, otherwise fixing the crash will be very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG View Post
Also there are some compatibility problems with madVR internal deinterlacing and potplayer decoder(renderless mode), on this filter pair I got choppy playback. Tested on 1080i vc-1 in ts container.
Does the potplayer decoder use the GPU for decoding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
So dxva hard deinterlacer is a "black box" that works the following way:
1) 1080\576i50 --> 1080\576p50, if "black box" detects pure video and --> 1080\576p25, if "black box" detects film content.
2) 1080\480i59 --> 1080\480p59, if "black box" detects pure video and --> 1080\480p29, if "black box" detects film content.
Am I right?
So "black box" does IVTC for PAL and does not for NTSC?
Nope. In detail this is what madVR is currently doing:

For every frame coming from the decoder, madVR checks whether the decoder reports the frame to be progressive or interlaced. If it's reported to be progressive, madVR tells DXVA2 to weave the frame and keep it untouched. If the frame is reported to be interlaced, madVR tells DXVA2 to deinterlace it in double frame rate. Now some movies are encoded with hard-telecine, others with soft-telecine, again others are a mixture of both. Depending on how the content was encoded, madVR might output double frame rate or single frame rate or a mixture of both. The same is true for VMR and EVR deinterlacing. As I explained in the v0.78 announcement post, I may improve this in a future version. For now with movie content you may get 25p or 50p, 24p or 60p, or something in between. It all depends on how the content was encoded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Tested with some PAL SD content (DVD remuxed to mkv). I am not sure, but sometimes when I switch deinterlacing off the result is better, cleaner (plain soft weaving). Is "black box" really good film content detector? Does it just weave?
Would you recommend use soft weaving deinterlacing for PAL film content ?
Some DVDs are properly flagged, some are not. Some PAL DVDs will look perfect with simple weaving, some will not. There is no simple answer here. Maybe the best idea would be to first try simple weaving and if that doesn't work, switch on deinterlacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
When I play a file that contains something like "1080p24" in its name the Ctrl-J stats always show that frame rate, although my "display modes" box is completely empty (tested in 0.77 and 0.78). Is this by design?
The framerate override via filename is currently independent of the display mode changer. Maybe that will change in a future version, but for now that's how it is.

Quote:
Also, why does it still show "(says source filter)" when I've overridden the information from the filter?
That's a cosmetical bug. Nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Another small thing I noticed 0.78: When I pause a video in windowed mode the decoder queue goes to 13-13/12. Weird
Yes, I know. The situation is this: When playback is paused, the decoder sometimes sends another frame. If in this case the decoder queue is already full, madVR can either drop one of the frames from the queue, or drop the newly decoded frame, or simply increase the queue size to 13 for a short time. Older madVR versions dropped one frame from the queue. This made frame stepping often skip two frames at once. In order to fix this, I've now in v0.78 allowed the decoder queue to temporarily overrun the max size. The internal queue buffer can hold 36 frames, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Update on my problem of madVR deinterlacing not being smooth:

My card is the 5750. I uninstalled the latest driver, and went back to the oldest driver I have saved - 10.7. Playback is now very smooth.
Interesting. So now madVR looks just as well as EVR? Can I still have a sample of your tennis video, for testing purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Either way, you appear to be correct about the GPU RAM running out causing the crashes. As soon as I launch a 1440x1080i30 16:9 anamorphic MPEG2-TS, memory use instantly jumps to 500MB-505MB and madVR crashes. Though when it doesn't crash, it runs perfectly (if a bit slow) with maxed out 500-505MB GPU RAM usage for the entire playtime. So either this means you need a GPU to >512MB of RAM to use the dxva2 deinterlacing in madVR reliably, or this is a bug.

Using the NVIDIA PureVideo MPEG-2 decoder + dxva1 deinterlacing with VMR9, my memory use only increases ~100MB. With madVR dxva2 deinterlacing it shoots up ~275MB+.
Well, madVR has upload, deinterlacing and render queues which VMR9 does not have. That all adds up to a lot of memory. As I hinted before, I may have to add an option to configure the queue size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Could this in any way be caused by my slow madNV12Test download results?
No. madVR does not "download" textures. I've found a tricky way (involving inverting matrixes etc) to make DXVA work with madVR without copying back anything to system RAM.

Quote:
madshi, you are GREAT !!!
Now you know why nevcairiel didn't answer your question in his thread. He knew what I was working on...

Quote:
I've done some preliminary tests and here are my answers to your two questions
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
I'll do some more tests and report back if I can quantify the difference ... if there actually is such.
Yes, please.

Quote:
with a few dropped frames ... probably ~4-5 per minute but initially after going out of exclusive mode there were a lot more dropped frames than normally (> 100 compared to the normal 10-20)
Your queues look better in windowed mode with the thread option turned on, though. Can you reproduce this > 100 frame drop problem? Maybe it was a one time only problem?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 22:47   #10685  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
But it really highlights what seem to be some big errors when using linear light scaling. (upscaling at least, downscaling with Bicubic 75 hasn't caused me too many problems)

Is it possible that there's a bug in the linear light scaling implementation?
I've checked this out and can't fully explain it. My best guess is that the test pattern was created in gamma corrected light and thus is better reproduced by gamma corrected resampling. But I'm wildly guessing here. FWIW, as you noticed yourself, the original unscaled image shows the same "problems" as the linear light upscale. So to say the linear light upscale is more true to the source...
Old 6th November 2011, 23:07   #10686  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Now you know why nevcairiel didn't answer your question in his thread. He knew what I was working on...
ah, you two ...

Quote:
Your queues look better in windowed mode with the thread option turned on, though. Can you reproduce this > 100 frame drop problem? Maybe it was a one time only problem?
you are right, but the avg./max stats look worse, right?
Sadly the problem with the multiple dropped frames is hardly reproducible. Before I posted my first post on the subject it happened 2 out of 2 tries but now it only happened 1 of 15

I'll try to make a log file showing it but I can't promise it'll be soon.
Old 6th November 2011, 23:09   #10687  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

A log file probably wouldn't help much. Just your impressions (after some more testing) on whether the thread option helps or hurts in windowed mode is good enough for me.
Old 6th November 2011, 23:26   #10688  |  Link

All my original testing was done at 60Hz in windowed mode, but now that I've actually sat down to watch a film at 24Hz with this update, I've run into a number of issues. (the refresh switcher still doesn't work reliably for me, so I manually switch refresh rate before playback)

Just about every interlaced file I have is 50Hz, so that should be assumed unless I specify otherwise.

1. Playback at 24p drops massive amounts of frames—approximately 25 frames every time the stats update.
At first I thought this was being caused by reclock, but it happens with other audio renderers too. (with other renderers, I'd expect one frame drop per second)

Playback appears to be smooth though, buffers remain high and CPU, GPU/VPU load remains the same so I'm not sure if it's just a reporting error, or something else.

2. Deinterlacing quality is considerably worse at 24Hz compared to 60Hz. (with or without ReClock)

Regarding this sample:
Quote:
This seems to deinterlace mostly fine with madVR 0.78 on my ATI card. Maybe not perfect, but quite acceptable. At least on a quick check on my computer monitor.
AMD's deinterlacing must be considerably better than Nvidia's then, that doesn't do well here at all. However, it's a good test that allowed me to pinpoint the above.

At 60Hz, the text is stable but aliased, and there's other aliasing visible too.
At 24Hz, bob deinterlacing is used on everything and the framerate appears to be halved.

It's the same with everything that I've tried. It's not that 24Hz forces bob deinterlacing with everything, but deinterlacing is worse with every sample I've tried at 24Hz. (sometimes it's flicker, lower resolutions, wrong framerate etc.)

3. I have some .rec files from my old PVR, which seem to either play at half resolution or half framerate with deinterlacing enabled. (manually disabling it fixes things)

I think it might be the files themselves though, as they're taken from a PVR they have maybe 5 minutes of video footage before the film starts, so it's possible that the files are just flagged incorrectly?

Unfortunately, trying to get a sample from them seems to fix whatever causes this to happen.
Quote:
I've checked this out and can't fully explain it. My best guess is that the test pattern was created in gamma corrected light and thus is better reproduced by gamma corrected resampling. But I'm wildly guessing here. FWIW, as you noticed yourself, the original unscaled image shows the same "problems" as the linear light upscale. So to say the linear light upscale is more true to the source...
Yeah, it's rather strange. The other thing making me think that something might have been wrong was the insane ringing most algorithms exhibit when using it.

After doing some more testing, I think Mitchell-Netravali might be OK when used with linear light scaling, along with SoftCubic 80/100, but anything else just rings far too much. Haven't had a chance to spend too much time with MN though, I seem to recall running into some aliasing issues the last time I used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Oh did you happen to tick off "DVD decoding"? In the row for MPEG2 a new option appears.

I just grabbed this from the web, it's not my own...

http://i41.tinypic.com/11c7if8.jpg
Weird, this used to not work at all. I don't know if it's because I'm now using LAV Splitter rather than Haali, if it's been a change in ffdshow, MPC-HC or madVR, but it's no longer causing the Macrovision errors it used to.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to investigate what it is that has enabled this to work, but I'm happy that it does.

Seems to be the best option for DVD playback with madVR now. (though menus did work before, you just didn't get the hover states for them, you could still click items)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:35   #10689  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
I also had asked you which queues exactly are getting empty and which not, when you run into frame drops, and you didn't reply to that question yet.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...73#post1536673

as said, upload + deinterlace + render queue drop to 1 frame, present queue to 0 frames and decoder drops queue to half -> 6/7 frames in case of the AVC video.

in case of VC-1, decoder queue also goes down to 1 frame, because multithreading is not supported. so that one also causes dropped frames without deinterlacing.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 6th November 2011 at 23:47.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:36   #10690  |  Link
dansrfe

When I set luma upscaling to Bilinear the queue increases a bit more and frames stop dropping. When I set chroma to Bilinear as well the queues fill up marginally close to the max. This is in exclusive mode however when I disable exclusive mode it's the same scenario and if I set it to bilinear then the GPU can deinterlace fast enough I presume. Is this just my GPU's speed problem or is it something else?

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570. Can I overclock it to fix the problem perhaps? If so how?

Thanks madshi!

EDIT: Just curious but what is the equivalent of "scaling in linear light" in AviSynth with spline?

Last edited by dansrfe; 6th November 2011 at 23:47.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:45   #10691  |  Link
derp

Quote:
So the problem occurs even if the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) is turned off? It doesn't seem to occur for anyone else but you. Is there any special configuration you're using? Some funny splitter or decoder or anything else?
Yes, it's turned off.
I'm using mpc-hc with madVR as renderer, LAV filters as external filters and the haali splitter.
derp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:50   #10692  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
All my original testing was done at 60Hz in windowed mode, but now that I've actually sat down to watch a film at 24Hz with this update, I've run into a number of issues. (the refresh switcher still doesn't work reliably for me, so I manually switch refresh rate before playback)

Just about every interlaced file I have is 50Hz, so that should be assumed unless I specify otherwise.
madVR always performs double rate deinterlacing (so do VMR and EVR, I think). Which means that after deinterlacing you will probably get 50p, not 25p, except if the video is encoded with progressive frames, in which case you may get 25p. But considering your description I think you're getting 50p. Of course when playing 50p, slowed down to 48p by Reclock, at 24Hz, you'll get *massive* amounts of frame drops. And dropping every other frame means that madVR can only send every other frame to DXVA. This means that madVR has to switch to BOB deinterlacing, because the highest quality deinterlacing mode requires madVR to provide the current video frame, together with the 2 previous frames, one of which madVR has already dropped.

Quote:
AMD's deinterlacing must be considerably better than Nvidia's then, that doesn't do well here at all.
Well, if you want you can show in a screenshot how bad NVidia is doing with that sample, then I can upload a comparison shot with ATI deinterlacing. Then we'll know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
You're only telling me about 2 queues there, not about all. What about the decoder queue? What about the deinterlacer queue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
When I set luma upscaling to Bilinear the queue increases a bit more and frames stop dropping. When I set chroma to Bilinear as well the queues fill up marginally close to the max. This is in exclusive mode however when I disable exclusive mode it's the same scenario and if I set it to bilinear then the GPU can deinterlace fast enough I presume. Is this just my GPU's speed problem or is it something else?

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570. Can I overclock it to fix the problem perhaps? If so how?
Seems that your GPU is too slow to handle deinterlacing + madVR chroma upscaling + scaling at the same time. Setting chroma upscaling to bilinear isn't nice, but it's not a major problem. Setting the luma algorithms to bilinear is a bigger loss. Anyway, I don't know if overclocking your GPU is possible or how to do it. FWIW, I've always recommended to get the most powerful GPU you can afford (and that fits your thermal requirements). Of course with a laptop you may have limited GPU choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Just curious but what is the equivalent of "scaling in linear light" in AviSynth with spline?
Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
Yes, it's turned off.
I'm using mpc-hc with madVR as renderer, LAV filters as external filters and the haali splitter.
Weird. Can anybody reproduce this (disappearing subtitles when pausing playback) problem?
Old 6th November 2011, 23:55   #10693  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm having the same problem TheShadowRunner had in which after maximizing MPC-HC from the tray the video has to move super fast to catch up with the audio. It almost seems like madVR stops functioning until the player is in the active view.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:58   #10694  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
You're only telling me about 2 queues there, not about all. What about the decoder queue? What about the deinterlacer queue?
I edited my post above.
maybe I should have put our german '-' there, I wrote deinterlace(-) render(-) and upload queue

"as said, upload + deinterlace + render queue drop to 1 frame, present queue to 0 frames and decoder drops queue to half -> 6/7 frames in case of the AVC video.

in case of VC-1, decoder queue also goes down to 1 frame, because multithreading is not supported. so that one also causes dropped frames without deinterlacing."
Old 7th November 2011, 00:01   #10695  |  Link
pacemaker1000

thanks to going back to ati from nvidia i have zero dropped frames.
playback is now perfectly smooth for me. nvidia just could not do this even with custom resolutions and now i am not missing out thanks to the new deinterlacing upgrade.

anyone know why the 'enable gpu scaling' stops madvr switching resulotions?
pacemaker1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 00:05   #10696  |  Link
JarrettH

6233638, yeah I'd be curious as to what "DVD decoding" does lol

I'm not sure if I have a bug that has cropped up in 0.78...

29.97 files have especially given me more glitches since it takes more cpu/gpu power to render them, but occasionally I've noticed:

Open a 29.97 file
go full screen (I double click)
go back to windowed and pause
do something in a few browser tabs or open new pages
return to video file and watch the presentation glitches climb every second

Core 2 Duo E6600
GT 240 512MB DDR5
275.33 WHQL
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 00:24   #10697  |  Link
pankov

madshi,
I did some performance (GPU load) testing with madVR, LAV CUVID and EVR and I'm kind of amazed how good EVR is.
For the test I used a 1080i60 TV recording of a hockey game and I had to overclock my GPU a little. To be precise I've used the P8 (Video) mode of my NVIDIA card but upped both Core/Shader and Memory clocks from 405/810 and 162MHz to 540/1010 and 192MHz.
This resulted in both madVR and LAV CUVID having about the same GPU load ~80% while EVR was around 50%.
Then I decided to lower my upscaling settings in madVR to Bilinear for both chroma and luma (even though the luma wasn't important since both video and display were 1920x1080) and this lowered madVR's usage to ~70-75% which is still ~25% above EVR.
Do you have any idea what could be causing this big difference?
I'm asking this because without overclocking my video card I get dropped frames in P8 (Video) mode and I'd like to avoid both overclocking and forcing my card in P0 (Full 3D) mode because this raises it's temperature substantially.
Old 7th November 2011, 00:27   #10698  |  Link

Quote:
madVR always performs double rate deinterlacing (so do VMR and EVR, I think). Which means that after deinterlacing you will probably get 50p, not 25p, except if the video is encoded with progressive frames, in which case you may get 25p. But considering your description I think you're getting 50p. Of course when playing 50p, slowed down to 48p by Reclock, at 24Hz, you'll get *massive* amounts of frame drops.
Both ReClock and ffdshow are reporting 25fps still, but that explanation sounds right.

Quote:
And dropping every other frame means that madVR can only send every other frame to DXVA. This means that madVR has to switch to BOB deinterlacing, because the highest quality deinterlacing mode requires madVR to provide the current video frame, together with the 2 previous frames, one of which madVR has already dropped.
The strange thing is that only some files seem to drop down to bob deinterlacing. (and "progressive" ones seem to disable the deinterlacer altogether when using ffdshow for decoding)

Is there anything that can be done about this? I assume most people will want to play back film content at 24p. (either 23.976 or 24.000) I'm not sure that I have any video content—certainly nothing interlaced.

Surely there must be a way to process at 50fps, and then output the final 25p image.
Quote:
Well, if you want you can show in a screenshot how bad NVidia is doing with that sample, then I can upload a comparison shot with ATI deinterlacing. Then we'll know for sure.
A random grab from that sample. (just hit print screen when it was running, wasn't sure if frame-by-frame would interfere) Upscaled with Lanczos 3. (not linear)

http://www.mediafire.com/?2y2k0ywb99hsmr2

It's not that I actually care about how that film looks, it just happens to be something that seems to be very tricky to deinterlace well.

That was taken at 60Hz, so it should be "properly" deinterlaced.
Maybe the source just is that bad, but it seems like it shouldn't be that aliased. (and it definitely wasn't using bob there)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 01:40   #10699  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

1) MPEG2 50i with LAV Video decoder, NV12 output, EVR: works fine, looks ok, very smooth, clearly 50p
2) MPEG2 50i with LAV Video decoder, NV12 output, madVR: it does work, looks very bad, not smooth, clearly it is being deinterlaced

Radeon 5750 using latest drivers (11.10).

This link might be useful for some of you. Previous catalyst drivers Vista 64 bit (and windows 7 64bit I'm sure).

Here is the link for Vista 32 bit (and windows 7 32bit I'm sure).

Old 7th November 2011, 02:17   #10700  |  Link
derp

Quote:
Weird. Can anybody reproduce this (disappearing subtitles when pausing playback) problem?
Since nobody will ever answer to this, where could be the issue? Should I take any options' screenshots?

Last edited by derp; 7th November 2011 at 02:29.
derp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling