Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 26th September 2005, 09:59   #1  |  Link
Trigger911

Would like to share a site ive been working on

hello every one

well ive been working on a site for the last few months on video converstion im trying to cover alot with a fast staight forward aproch but i whant to see what the people from the scene think about it I tryed asking the people that i made it for but they seem to like it but i just whant comments or if you see somthing that it wronge that i need to correct or if you got an idea that i can put in use I would be very greatful. Some parts is kind of outdated i mostly convert stuff of my camras of family outings and such.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/trigger911/

looking foraword to whatcha have to say and please be forward with you wont hurt my feelings

Thanx alot for alot of this info i learned here and a few other sites.
-Triggz out

ps i know the skin is messed up haha but atm it works fine this is like my 2nd site ive made and had my html for dummies book by my side

Last edited by Trigger911; 26th September 2005 at 10:03. Reason: Duh forgot to add the url hahaha
Old 26th September 2005, 10:25   #2  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Why is trellis (XviD) always bad? Since it is enabled by default I can hardly imagine it would be such a crappy setting that it needs to be turned off all the time. A little bit more motivation please.

Quote:
Avi normally NEVER has AC3 considering its Huge because it holds 4-7 MPG-2 Sound Files In the Ac3 Container
This is just complete BS in every aspect. AC3 IS commonly used in AVI (why would the size matter?) and AC3 is not 4-7 mp2 files in an AC3 container. It is a completely different audio coding standard from mp2 with varying amount of channels (stereo and 5.1 are the most common on DVDs though.)

Quote:
OGM, KVM etc. Are just Avi that either have subs and/or duel Audio Streams ( means could have one audio in English and the other in Japanese)
Plain wrong again. (but this takes too much time to correct, sorry)

Quote:
A note to also rember try to stay away from FFDSHOW it will cause alot of problems (it has for me).
Lets just forget about that this is not a very good advice for the moment, but you ARE advising to install the Matroska Pack, which comes with ffdshow as default. Thats a little bit of a contradiction.

And wheres avisynth?
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 10:29   #3  |  Link
Trigger911

hummm maybe i should have stated it for refrance hehe sorry must of this i did in a rush but ill get to work on what you have posted asap thanx anywho

btw i dont know much on avisynth. im not a guru at this stuff but im slowly learning ive not been doing this long
Old 26th September 2005, 14:14   #4  |  Link
feedback
Gold (Au) Member

Quote:
my html for dummies book by my side
Using the above, why would you post something, to share here, that is so messed up.

Your site purports to be a guide, but as you indicate at your site below...
Quote:
THIS IS JUST A HOBBIE AND IM TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE OUT AND IM NORMALY REALY FUCKERED UP WHEN I MAKE THESE UP SO IF U SEE PROBLEMS CONTACT ME IF YOU CAN
You seem to be a hack using little empirical evidence to support your 'Guide'!??!
I agree with stephanV, 'this takes too much time to correct'.

Besides, Newbies already have to much misinformation to sort through, don't add to their confusion.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I suppose you are merely trying to be helpful and that is appreciated. However, you need to post a guide once you have acheived a level of expertise way beyond what you have, at this time, exhibited.

Regards,

P.S. This site does not appreciate vulgarities in it's guides BTW.

It's as easy as 3.14159265

The Problem is Usually found between the Chair and the Keyboard!

Last edited by feedback; 26th September 2005 at 20:48. Reason: typo
feedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 18:32   #5  |  Link
Trigger911

well i guess im gonna have to re-read alot of stuff most of the info is a copy paste job off sites i found useful but thanx man
Old 26th September 2005, 18:40   #6  |  Link
movax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger911
well i guess im gonna have to re-read alot of stuff most of the info is a copy paste job off sites i found useful but thanx man
Copy and pasting blocks of text without reviewing them, and using them as your site's content (note that plaigarism is BAD, and I'm not even an English teacher) is a bad idea. I suggest you proofread too...using "KVM" in a sentence makes it look an AOL page.
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 21:57   #7  |  Link
Caroliano

[quote]
Quote:
OGM, KVM etc. Are just Avi that either have subs and/or duel Audio Streams ( means could have one audio in English and the other in Japanese)[/quiote]

Plain wrong again. (but this takes too much time to correct, sorry)
I would just direct him to the Matroska's site... There they talk a lot of containers and of course matroska stuff.

And I call "avi that either have subs and/or duel Audio Streams" as hacked avis. Matroska and OGM are another thing, not directly based in avi.

And try to write more formaly. Words like "u", "fuckered" or "peepz" don't apear in any dictionary...

Last edited by Caroliano; 26th September 2005 at 22:02.
Caroliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 23:29   #8  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
And I call "avi that either have subs and/or duel Audio Streams" as hacked avis.
Well, that's your fault. They are not hacked.

@all,

I hope you can keep it a bit civilized. If you have comments on his guide, just post them.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 00:21   #9  |  Link
Caroliano

AFAIK avi was not planed to hold more than one video and one audio. Then some people done work arounds for superpass this problem, based in avi capabilites of course. I think it is like B-vops thing, that 2 frames are packed togheter in the place of only one frame and the "avi don't know it".

IMO the better name for it is an hack, as it is not an "elegant" solution. I'm wrong?
Old 27th September 2005, 12:55   #10  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Yes you are wrong. AVIs can hold at least up to a 100 different streams (video, audio, midi or text) so please stop spreading this misinformation. You probably are quoting some MKV/OGM/MP4 troll (in any random order) which is not your fault, but you might just wanna use google and see if you can find anything for more useful information.
Old 27th September 2005, 12:57   #11  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

http://encyclopedia.tfd.com/AVI

Doesn't say anything about multi track.
Old 27th September 2005, 13:34   #12  |  Link
stephanV
gone

Your point being is? Each stream in AVI has a 2 digit number assigned to it which would be a bit pointless if it can only hold 2 streams. Since I can't seem to find any specification that explicitely dissallows to use dwStreams > 2 (can you?) I don't see how anyone can conclude that multiple audio streams in AVI is a hack. (encyclopedias and wikis don't count)

But this is going hopelessly off-topic and I wish I never had said anything.
Old 27th September 2005, 13:45   #13  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I have to say your site is very confusing, especially the first line:

"Site buttions are brokered ATM but heres a sample of the new ones JohhnyB is comin up with(btw they work exept about)."

I had to laugh when I saw the "Bad, nono" and "Never use that" regarding Trellis.

My pop-up blocker was working overtime.

Sirber: I often put two separate audio tracks in .avi with Gordian Knot.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 15:17   #14  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

@ Sirber

IIRC you can even have two (or more) video streams in AVI container!

However, playback of such files is a different story...

Bye

Visit my IRC channel

Last edited by Soulhunter; 27th September 2005 at 23:11.
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 15:25   #15  |  Link
mpucoder

The multimedia SDK from Microsoft as early as Win95 has samples of multiple audio streams and programs to handle them. If it is a hack, it was done by the creator of the container.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 19:49   #16  |  Link
Caroliano

Sorry, avi realy can have multiple audio tracks. But I don't found any information about if it can or not have subtitles tracks... where I search for this? I already looked at these two websites:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ereference.asp
http://www.jmcgowan.com/avi.html

Also I searched to see if it was not part of OpenDML, but I don't found any thing about it again...
http://www.jmcgowan.com/odmlff2.pdf
Quote:
IIRC you can even have two (or more) video stream in AVI container!
From the avi overview they say: "An AVI file can contain zero or one video stream and zero, one, or many audio streams."

Ironicaly, the only place that mencioned subtitles in avi was the OGM article from the same site as Siber linked (information from wikipedia). And also Avi-mux GUI site.

Also, where I find a list of players or tools that suport multi-track avis? I think that the suport is very limited, even more than for Matroska or OGM, or I'm wrong again?
Old 27th September 2005, 22:35   #17  |  Link
stephanV
gone

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rstructure.asp

Read the different stream types you can use there. A text stream can obviously be a subtitle.

Also read further down

Quote:
rcFrame

Specifies the destination rectangle for a text... [is subtitle !!!] ...or video stream within the movie rectangle specified by the dwWidth and dwHeight members of the AVI main header structure. The rcFrame member is typically used in support of multiple video streams. Set this rectangle to the coordinates corresponding to the movie rectangle to update the whole movie rectangle. Units for this member are pixels. The upper-left corner of the destination rectangle is relative to the upper-left corner of the movie rectangle.
Quote:
Also, where I find a list of players or tools that suport multi-track avis? I think that the suport is very limited, even more than for Matroska or OGM, or I'm wrong again?
Tools: VirtualDubMod, AMG, MS directshow avimuxer
Playback: MS avi splitter, gabests avi splitter, Haalis splitter, VLC, all certified DivX hardware devices, etc.

Can we please stop discussing this now?

Last edited by stephanV; 27th September 2005 at 22:37.
Old 27th September 2005, 23:22   #18  |  Link
Caroliano

Quote:
Can we please stop discussing this now?
Yes. Thanks for all the information.
Old 29th September 2005, 17:26   #19  |  Link
Neo Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanV
This is just complete BS in every aspect. AC3 IS commonly used in AVI (why would the size matter?)
First it depends on who you are and what you do as to what is common. Frankly for myself AC3 in AVI is quite uncommon. Even on files I have downloaded from "others".

Second the size matters when you have size constraints. Say a single CD for instance. Using AC3 with such size constraints can be quite dificult since a 5.1 AC3 track could be 400 to 500Mb leaving you 200Mb or less for the 2 hours of video for a DVD encode. Which I suppose is fine if you are an audiophile who doesn't mind postage stamp sized video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanV
Yes you are wrong. AVIs can hold at least up to a 100 different streams (video, audio, midi or text) so please stop spreading this misinformation. You probably are quoting some MKV/OGM/MP4 troll (in any random order) which is not your fault, but you might just wanna use google and see if you can find anything for more useful information.
Stephan please tone it down a bit. Else someone might bring up the issue of AVI trolls.

As to AVI being able to hold up to 100 streams while technically correct, does not see much defacto use. Further there is no defined structure/format for text stream contents. Leading to playback problems regarding them in many players. Though those with gabest vsub filter should be fine where AVI containing compatable text streams are concerned. But they don't constitute a majority by any stretch.

MKV and MP4(note I am not mentioning OGM) have gernerally well defined and even quite specific requirements for such contents put forth in the formal specifications. Further many, possibly even a majority of parsers/players support them unlike AVI.

AVI can be made to do many things. That does not mean it should or was ever meant to. But I suppose it is all a matter of personal choice and project requirements.

As to the original poster. There is alot of work to be done both on the HTML design and the guide. But that is not a problem as long as one is willing to learn. And this is a good place to learn. As long as everyone stays civil. I personally can see the value of a less technical guide. Many people are seriously put off by technicality. Though personally I would preffer a bit more professional appearance.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote