Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th April 2012, 14:12   #1121  |  Link
CruNcher

http://www.mediafire.com/?y2dbekgemoeo28m <- sure here it is Mpeg-2

but now the really crazy thing comes this one http://www.mediafire.com/?xr7ynkl2fg59g1c is a cuda transcode (Nvidia H.264) of it and it also crashes with Intel and Laurents DXVA 2 implementation but also with Potplayers DXVA, (though the Potplayer guys doesn't know of this yet the Mpeg-2 crash they fixed but it's still not perfect playing back

i really want to know how this is connected or just a coincidence (transcode crashing the same way)

both clips play absolutely fine with Quicksync and some other 3rd Party DXVA Decoder (Arcsoft,Cyberlink) though all based on Laurent Aimars DXVA 2 implementation (VLC) crash with those both on Intel Hardware

The crash happens in ntdll and igdumd most probably a buffer overflow

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 25th April 2012 at 14:43.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:19   #1122  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post

but now the really crazy thing comes this one http://www.mediafire.com/?xr7ynkl2fg59g1c is a cuda transcode (Nvidia H.264) of it and it also crashes with Intel and Laurents DXVA 2 implementation but also with Potplayers DXVA, (though the Potplayer guys doesn't know of this yet the Mpeg-2 crash they fixed but it's still not perfect playing back

i really want to know how this is connected or just a coincidence (transcode crashing the same way)

both clips play absolutely fine with Quicksync and some other 3rd Party DXVA Decoder (Arcsoft,Cyberlink) though all based on Laurent Aimars DXVA 2 implementation (VLC) crash with those both on Intel Hardware

The crash happens in ntdll and igdumd most probably a buffer overflow
They work fine using QS like you said.
BTW, the 2nd clip (cuda) is H264 not mpeg2 (avc1 fourcc).
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:19   #1123  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

However, as always, when a piece of software crashes on corrupt input, its still the software's fault. The driver should not crash if its fed data it doesn't like. In fact, it should never crash.

Anyway, crashes somewhere deep inside the intel driver are basically impossible to debug, so no clue where to start.
Especially hard because it seems to cause some kind of heap corruption, that isn't always easy to find even when the code is fully available!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th April 2012 at 17:47.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:30   #1124  |  Link
pankov

Intel custom EVR for 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
Some users wanted the compiled Media SDK Direct show filter. Here they are.
a while ago there was talk in LAV filters thread that Intel have some examples which could allow 3D playback. Then I asked Eric if he can provide compiled versions of these sample filters and yesterday that he did so I decided to give them a try.
Sadly there are some problems:
1. When I try to register the custom_evr_presenter.dll with regsvr32.exe it looks like it succeeds but I can't find it in the filter list in GraphStudio/GraphStudioNext or Zoom Player. I do see it in the registry in Wow6432Node\CLSID\{29FAB022-F7CC-4819-B2B8-D9B6BCFB6698} as "Intel® Media SDK Custom EVR Presenter" but it's not present. What did I do wrong? Do you see it in these applications or am I supposed to use it in a different way?
2. After I registered the mvc_dec_filter.dll with regsvr32 it appeared nicely in GraphStudioNext as "Intel® Media SDK MVC Decoder" but I'm not able to insert it as a filter in any graph. Again, do you have any idea what I do wrong?

Can someone else try them and share his/her experience?

I really hope these filters will be the first steps to fulfilling my dreams for open source 3D playback. (preferably in Zoom Player)

Currently I've tried both NVIDIA's and Intel's 3D HDMI output using TMT5 and I find the one from Intel a bit more hustle free and easy to use so I have high hope that this is the right way to go.

Last edited by pankov; 25th April 2012 at 21:33.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:19   #1125  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
However, as always, when a piece of software crashes on corrupt input, its still the software's fault. The driver should not crash if its fed data it doesn't like. In fact, it should never crash.
I agree. Driver crashes are taken seriously.
Please provide me the simplest way to reproduce (I already have the samples).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
a while ago there was talk in LAV filters thread that Intel have some examples which could allow 3D playback. Then I asked Eric if he can provide compiled versions of these sample filters and yesterday that he did so I decided to give them a try.
Sadly there are some problems:
1. When I try to register the custom_evr_presenter.dll with regsvr32.exe it looks like it succeeds but I can't find it in the filter list in GraphStudio/GraphStudioNext or Zoom Player. I do see it in the registry in Wow6432Node\CLSID\{29FAB022-F7CC-4819-B2B8-D9B6BCFB6698} as "Intel® Media SDK Custom EVR Presenter" but it's not present. What did I do wrong? Do you see it in these applications or am I supposed to use it in a different way?
2. After I registered the mvc_dec_filter.dll with regsvr32 it appeared nicely in GraphStudioNext as "Intel® Media SDK MVC Decoder" but I'm not able to insert it as a filter in any graph. Again, do you have any idea what I do wrong?

Can someone else try them and share his/her experience?

I really hope these filters will be the first steps to fulfilling my dreams for open source 3D playback. (preferably in Zoom Player)

Currently I've tried both NVIDIA's and Intel's 3D HDMI output using TMT5 and I find the one from Intel a bit more hustle free and easy to use so I have high hope that this is the right way to go.
I looked at the setup:
EVR custom presenter is not a DS filter, it's an MFT filter. That's why GraphEdit doesn't show it. I'll ask the Media SDK team if they can produce a DS version. This is outside my bandwidth...

The MVC decoder only accepts H264 fourcc. Most content is AVC1 fourcc. Maybe this is the problem. This is something I can patch myself.
Please share 3D media files for testing purposes.
Intel Corp.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:42   #1126  |  Link
pankov

Eric,
the problem with the MVC decoder is not with connecting it - it's not possible to add it to the graph at all.

About the samples - every 3D blu-ray can be used - you just have to use Haali's or the patched MPC MPEG Splitter as I've mentioned here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1567409
If you don't have such 3D blurays I can try to find a short sample ... or try to cut one for you tonight because I'm at work now.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:52   #1127  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
Eric,
the problem with the MVC decoder is not with connecting it - it's not possible to add it to the graph at all.

About the samples - every 3D blu-ray can be used - you just have to use Haali's or the patched MPC MPEG Splitter as I've mentioned here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...09#post1567409
If you don't have such 3D blurays I can try to find a short sample ... or try to cut one for you tonight because I'm at work now.
I managed to add it to an empty graph (in GraphStudioNext 32 bit).
Also managed to build a complete and working graph for an H264 file (that has H264 fourcc), connect the decoder to EVR and play.
I also checked its dependency on other DLLs - it only depends on standard Windows DLLs (no VS2010 dependencies) .
Intel Corp.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:06   #1128  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

An EVR Custom Presenter is not something you can ever manually add to a graph. You need to define a custom frontend that tells EVR which presenter to use.

EVR is a Media Foundation technology, thats why the Custom Presenter acts like a MF object, but it can be used by a DirectShow EVR as well. You just cannot use it in GraphStudio without writing a wrapper around it.

PS:
What makes you think the Intel MVC decoder uses the same way of receiving the 3D data as CoreCodecs decoder? (which Haali was designed to deliver data for)
Its a rather wild assumption, tbh. There is no official standard that defines how this should be done. Heck, CoreCodecs decoder isn't even available!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 26th April 2012 at 11:16.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:15   #1129  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I agree. Driver crashes are taken seriously.
Please provide me the simplest way to reproduce (I already have the samples).
Just play it with LAV Video in DXVA2 Native mode with EVR, it'll crash immediately.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:31   #1130  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
I managed to add it to an empty graph (in GraphStudioNext 32 bit).
Also managed to build a complete and working graph for an H264 file (that has H264 fourcc), connect the decoder to EVR and play.
I also checked its dependency on other DLLs - it only depends on standard Windows DLLs (no VS2010 dependencies) .

I did exactly the same.
Any ideas what could have I done wrong? I simply used "regsvr32 mvc_dec_filter.dll" to register it and that's all.
And I tried both GraphStudio and GraphStudioNext (both 32bit) and I do see the filter but when I try to add it to a graph nothing happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
PS:
What makes you think the Intel MVC decoder uses the same way of receiving the 3D data as CoreCodecs decoder? (which Haali was designed to deliver data for)
Its a rather wild assumption, tbh. There is no official standard that defines how this should be done.
I was simply hoping something will work.
Sadly I don't know any other MVC decoder.
In Stereoscopic Player I see CoreMVC filter but it's not available as DS filter. On the other hand the modified MPC MPEG splitter is available at their site and I think/hope it can be used to check how it sends the data to the CoreCodec decoder. On the other hand the source for the Intel decoder is available ... if I'm not wrong ... so it can be changed / adapted to accept this input ... or simply add a "translation" filter.

Guys,
this is way out of my league so if I'm talking nonsense please ignore me.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:44   #1131  |  Link
pankov

I found some time and managed to upload a small SIFF file for testing
http://www.mediafire.com/?hwvxscmms4mkbhp
Old 26th April 2012, 12:02   #1132  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post

Using PotPlayer latest version and ATi hardware in DXVA mode I couldn't play both of them at the signature system.

Playback of the MPEG-2 clip is awful - I can't see even one frame correct.

Playback of the H.264 file is better - the only problem is a green horizontal stripe at the top of the film.

BTW, WMP12 plays both clips perfect in DXVA mode.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:46   #1133  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Using PotPlayer latest version and ATi hardware in DXVA mode I couldn't play both of them at the signature system.

Playback of the MPEG-2 clip is awful - I can't see even one frame correct.

Playback of the H.264 file is better - the only problem is a green horizontal stripe at the top of the film.

BTW, WMP12 plays both clips perfect in DXVA mode.
I can reproduce on my uvd2.2 card too.

For the H.264 file, MPC-HC DXVA has same playback.

For the MPEG-2 clip, NVIDIA is still ok, dunno how about uvd3.0 which support MPEG-2_VLD.
Edit:I tested HD6850, it's ok though also has a green horizontal stripe at the top like the h264 file.

Last edited by wanezhiling; 26th April 2012 at 15:02.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 21:37   #1134  |  Link
NikosD

Eric,

it's not your field or responsibility but I'm really frustrated with Intel's policy about Ivy.

I look at the models and none of them is suitable for me.

3700K is the fastest and overclockable, but misses every other feature.

3700 is a little slower, with all features on but it's not overclockable.

I wanted to invest on a big expandable tower with an optional water cooling system (for the future), to experiment in overclocking with Ivy, but at the same time I need VT-d because I run also server systems with Hyper-V.

So I want maximum speed and overclocking capability, along with features like VT-d and security in HW.

It should exist a fully featured CPU, for someone who wants everything, shouldn't it ?
Old 27th April 2012, 07:49   #1135  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Eric,

it's not your field or responsibility but I'm really frustrated with Intel's policy about Ivy.

I look at the models and none of them is suitable for me.

3700K is the fastest and overclockable, but misses every other feature.

3700 is a little slower, with all features on but it's not overclockable.

I wanted to invest on a big expandable tower with an optional water cooling system (for the future), to experiment in overclocking with Ivy, but at the same time I need VT-d because I run also server systems with Hyper-V.

So I want maximum speed and overclocking capability, along with features like VT-d and security in HW.

It should exist a fully featured CPU, for someone who wants everything, shouldn't it ?
What features are missing from the 3700K family that you need?
The K's don't have vPro, TXT and VT-d. These features are aimed at the enterprise segment and have no use in consumer systems.
Most of them require a different chipset (e.g. for vPro) like the B or Q series. These chipsets are not common outside the enterprise market segment.
Intel Corp.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:02   #1136  |  Link
NikosD

As I wrote above, mainly VT-d.

I need to use Hyper-V, the Virtualization technology of Microsoft OS server editions and soon Microsoft will put Hyper-V even in Windows 8 client editions, too
Old 27th April 2012, 08:16   #1137  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As Eric mentioned, VT-d does only work if you also have a chipset which supports it. Those chipsets also don't support overclocking, so putting VT-d into a "K" CPU does not make sense, as you wouldn't be able to use both at the same time anyway, because of the Chipset requirements.

For that matter, VT-d is not required to use Hyper-V. VT-x is the important part, and that is present in all CPUs and all Chipsets. VT-d is only for I/O MMU virtualization, which is only required for enterprise-level virtualization, where you have truely dedicated hardware for every VM. The VM in Windows 8 "client" will not support VT-d either.

PS:
I also found some interesting quote on the web:
Quote:
Currently (as of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1), Hyper-V doesn't use the Intel VT-d hardware features (more information is available on this Intel site). The official guidance is to disable Intel VT-d in the BIOS.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th April 2012 at 08:23.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:32   #1138  |  Link
NikosD

I/O Virtualization (VT-d) allows native-speed access to dedicated hardware from a guest operating system, including DMA-capable hardware.

True, I/O Virtualization is not performed by the CPU, but instead by the chipset.

So the question I put at my first post alters to this:

It should exist a combination of CPU+chipset (platform) that includes everything (overclockability, all features).

So 3770K and Z77 (the top processor and top chipset) should be a complete platform, I think.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:35   #1139  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Z77 is a consumer chipset, it does not contain Enterprise features.

As mentioned before, Hyper-V does not even use VT-d.
Old 27th April 2012, 08:58   #1140  |  Link
NikosD

I change my system usually every three years and I'm sure that in the next few months we'll have:

1) M/Bs with Thunderbolt

2) OpenGL 4.x drivers

3) Hyper-V supporting VT-d.

I don't know for sure if I'll wait for Ivy or for Haswell.

I'm good enough with Core2Duo right now.

Tags
ffdshow, h264, intel, mpeg2, quicksync, vc1, zoom player