Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 13th January 2012, 15:40   #1341  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Folks,
I am dealing with 1080i, VC-1 encoding, converted to 60i from the BBC's original rate of 50i HDV. It's the 1st season of Torchwood converted to MKV using MAKEMKV by me.

However I am not sure what settings I must select here.

The default settings from this decoder are 50p/60p (Video), but I changed to 25p/30p (Film) as you can see. Is that correct? What about the rest?

Using MPC-HC it seems the video is playing fine, but the playback is smooth. It should be a little faster (you can notice something is not quite right), and I also have (in my case, I am using ffdshow Audio Decoder), audio sync problem sometimes. The codec is DTS-HD 5.1.

In my case, I am using a 8800 GTS 512 MB video card, and PC is Q9450, 2 GB RAM, Windows 7, in a 7200 RPM Hard Drive.

I saw once a few settings we must change in MPC-HC to watch 1080i videos, but I can't find them anymore.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:37   #1342  |  Link
jmonier

Note that you should be using the LAV Video Decoder which now has CUVID built in. The separate LAV CUVID decoder is outdated and is no longer being updated. That said, unless Video doesn't look good, it should be fine. Adaptive is the best interlacing method.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 20:10   #1343  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Note that you should be using the LAV Video Decoder which now has CUVID built in. The separate LAV CUVID decoder is outdated and is no longer being updated. That said, unless Video doesn't look good, it should be fine. Adaptive is the best interlacing method.
Where can (we) find this "LAV Video Decoder"?

It should be noted that I am also using the codec-pack from this website:
http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

The Mega version.

And if I can't manage to make 1080i work with MPC, I can use Total MediaTheatre from Arcsoft (software) and the original Blu-ray folder. In this case, I never experienced any problems. But I rather use Matroska converted files most of the time, and stick with MPC-HC.

P.S.

OK, it seems I already have this LAV Video Decoder installed here. However, if I add this in MPC, I only get "Sonic Cinemaster Video Decoder 4.2" (and I can't change any settings in this one) in the list of filters used by this 1080i VC-1 file. And I don't get the "Using DXVA" message.

If I select "LAV CUVID Decoder" I can change settings and see the "Using DXVA" message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
That said, unless Video doesn't look good, it should be fine.
And at least in this case, if you select 50/60p/Video you will make things a lot worse (and slower). 25/30p-Film is the best choice here, but like I said, it still doesn't feel right and I am having audio sync problems. And since it's working in TMT I guess it's MPC or decoder's fault.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 13th January 2012 at 20:33.
Lincoln Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 21:15   #1344  |  Link
clsid

Go to LAV Video settings and enable VC-1. It is disabled by default in LAV Video because it doesn't support interlaced video and is also slower than the Microsoft decoder. In CUVID it does support interlaced.

If another decoder still gets used by MPC, then either block that filter or give it a lower merit.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:17   #1345  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Go to LAV Video settings and enable VC-1. It is disabled by default in LAV Video because it doesn't support interlaced video and is also slower than the Microsoft decoder. In CUVID it does support interlaced.

If another decoder still gets used by MPC, then either block that filter or give it a lower merit.
It won't work. I tried everything, blocking won't help either. In the end is using MPC Video Decoder for H.264 and saying that wasn't able to find a proper filter to use it when I let only "LAV Video Decoder" in this list of external filters from MPC:

Old 13th January 2012, 22:44   #1346  |  Link
jmonier

One of the problems with filter packs is that it's easy to fall behind with filters that are being constantly updated (if you even had the current version to begin with). You're certainly seeing that with LAV CUVID which has been obsolete for several months but is still included in the pack. LAV Filters ARE being constantly updated, so you need to be sure you have the latest version before you can get answers to your questions. Here's the link for LAV Filters:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

If you still have problems after updating, you can ask questions there and have a better chance of getting good answers.

Also make sure you have the latest version of MPC-HC.

Last edited by jmonier; 13th January 2012 at 22:46.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 23:02   #1347  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

I only managed to make it appear in the filter list (while playing the video) after I found this:

Here's how I configured mine:

Is that correct? Selecting "no hardware decoder" or "Intel QuickSync" will not display any image for the video. And using ffdshow with Intel QuickSync will not get me good results (slower picture), I believe it's because I am using Q9450 and for the reasons stated here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

BTW, I downloaded the ffdshow version from the thread above as well.

Despite the fact the image looks OK now, it seems a little heavy (causing the audio sync issue a few times), maybe it's my video card, or (and here's something I am going to ask), the fact I am using FFDSHOW AUDIO DECODER in the filter list. I tried blocking ffdshow audio decoder and use LAV Audio Decoder, but it's not being used in the filter list from the file.

My settings:

Am I missing something? The file is m2ts, using both DTS-HD and AC3 streams (AC3 is the secondary stream, audio commentary).

Note: After blocking ffdshow, MPC uses "MPC Audio Decoder" instead.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 13th January 2012 at 23:05.
Old 13th January 2012, 23:47   #1348  |  Link
clsid

You are obviously not using the MPC-HC version included in that pack, because that one doesn't include all those crappy internal filters.

Don't block ffdshow in the external filter list. If you don't want ffdshow to decode a certain format, simply disable that format in ffdshow settings.
Old 14th January 2012, 00:52   #1349  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You are obviously not using the MPC-HC version included in that pack, because that one doesn't include all those crappy internal filters.

Don't block ffdshow in the external filter list. If you don't want ffdshow to decode a certain format, simply disable that format in ffdshow settings.
I am not using the MPC-HC version from K-Lite codec pack, but taken from here:
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/

And the picture is not showing you internal, but EXTERNAL FILTERS. I have added myself a few from the list just to block them and make sure ffdshow was not being used.

I am aware you can disable a certain codec in ffdshow settings, but I already tried that, and it didn't changed anything.

This picture shows INTERNAL FILTERS, and on the right, transform filters (I guess that's how MPC calls them). If I also disable AAC, AC3, DTS, LPCM, etc. from the transform filters, MPC tries to use AC3Filter. In AC3Filter settings you can see DTS being used. After I disable DTS in AC3Filter, it uses Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder. After I block Sonic Cinemaster, it uses MPC Audio Decoder...

I have no idea why it's not recognizing LAV Audio Decoder, since already worked for the video (decoder). Maybe we can't use it?

And must not be related to these settings:

Since I already tried them...
Old 14th January 2012, 01:20   #1350  |  Link
clsid

DTS-HD in LAV Audio decoder might possibly only work when using LAV Splitter. Tip: you can change preferred splitter (source filter) with Codec Tweak Tool.
Otherwise, ffdshow also supports DTS-HD.

Why do you have AC3Filter? ffdshow and LAV can already do everything.

Internal filters in MPC should be disabled.
Old 14th January 2012, 04:57   #1351  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

OK, I give up.

For some strange reason, m2ts files from this Blu-ray are refusing to accept the LAV Audio Decoder.

Maybe because they are DTS-HD HRA XBR and not DTS-HD MA ?

You were right, I had to add the LAV Splitter here. And while the m2ts extension (according to the Codec Tweak Tool) is using LAV Splitter, I can only make it work with LAV Video Decoder. Any attempts to use LAV Audio Decoder will result in using another filter. In this case, Sonic or any other filter (like MPC internal filter), but never LAV's.

We need to activate mp3 here to use LAV Audio Decoder... otherwise ffdshow audio decoder will be loaded by MPC

As you can see from these pictures, I tested another file, this time AVI, and MP3, and I changed LAV Audio Decoder settings to recognize the MP3 extension. It worked, and it wasn't necessary to block ffdshow.

But this m2ts file is not cooperating at all...

P.S. Another possibility is that LAV Audio Decoder does not support DTS-HD in the first place. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 14th January 2012 at 05:01.
Old 14th January 2012, 05:03   #1352  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

I think I solved the mistery, and now both LAV Video/Audio decoders are being displayed in the filter list from the m2ts!

I had to disable all these settings:

Old 14th January 2012, 11:07   #1353  |  Link
Mikey2

Lincoln Burrows - Although you have several things going on, let me suggest trying to use ReClock to help with you sync issues. What country are you from? In America we have 24FPS (frames per second) for movies and 60 FPS/30FPS (interlaced "NTSC") for Television material. You can use "MediaInfo" (included in K-lite codec pack) to find out the source's fps. And the reason I ask the country you're from is because we use 60fps (NTSC) on our TV monitors and 24 (or 72 (24*3) on better displays suck as mine. 120Hz is the best since it is both a multiple of 24 and of 60.) ReClock is a great tool that will use this info in conjunction with your actual display's Hz (essentially fps) to re-sync and properly playback everything (for instance, most movies are 23.976 fps or something instead of 24 fps...) More importantly, it will compensate for 25 fps PAL sources down to 24 (or vice-versa) ...this is very significant, the actual displayed show/movie w/o this tool will be shorter by 2 minutes or so per hour!

As far as playing HD audio, such as DTS-MA, what Video-Card/Audio-card are you using? This is still somewhat "bleeding edge" since they are only now overcoming PAP ("Protective Audio Path") in order to play HD audio without down-sampling somewhere down the chain. I have a Xonar audio-card (basically first one to fully allow TrueHD and DTS-MA without down-sampling.) However, my card requires that you use the Arcsoft Audio Renderer to play HD-Audio. In addition, I found the most luck using ffdshow Audio as the audio filter in this case. (It is the only one that I know of that will truly read the full DTS-MA track and not just playback the DTS-core track...but the settings are tricky and you have to make sure to use "pass-through" (even though obviously you cannot use SPDIF/TOS since only HDMI will allow bit-streaming at such high band-width's. IMHO it's pretty counter-intuitive...)

I hope this helps, I still use LAV Splitter and LAV Video decoder BTW, and keep in mind that software encoding (CUVID off) makes no difference on picture quality - with it off it just does the work on the CPU instead of the GPU - many people incorrectly assumes that HW Decoding is necessary or better-looking when in fact they are over-loading their video-cards and under-utilizing their CPU's. (See my long post on the last page for my own issues on this matter.) While rendering has great implications on video-quality, wherever you do the decoding and whatever tool you use will make no difference on video-quality. (It's like unzipping a file - however you do it does not matter, it just works or does not work...)

Finally remember that de-interlacing is only needed on interlaced materials. People seem to focus on this a lot which makes little sense since most DVD/mkv/avi/and almost *all* Blu-Rays are progressive material (that's the "P" in 1080P or 720P) so de-interlacing should be shut-off unless that is the video's source (i.e. 480i, 1080i - the "i" meaning "interlaced") .

Feel free to respond via PM or in this thread if you need more help. I spent years figuring all of this out and I'd be happy to help others like you that are obviously intelligent but are still in the learning-curve of all this stuff...

cheers!
MikeY
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:28   #1354  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
de-interlacing should be shut-off unless that is the video's source (i.e. 480i, 1080i - the "i" meaning "interlaced") .
Deinterlacing is smart and only works on content that actually is interlaced, its perfectly safe to leave the options as-is. (Unless the content is actually progressive but mistakenly encoded as interlaced, but thats another matter entirely)
Old 14th January 2012, 15:22   #1355  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
Lincoln Burrows - Although you have several things going on, let me suggest trying to use ReClock to help with you sync issues. What country are you from? In America we have 24FPS (frames per second) for movies and 60 FPS/30FPS (interlaced "NTSC") for Television material. You can use "MediaInfo" (included in K-lite codec pack) to find out the source's fps. And the reason I ask the country you're from is because we use 60fps (NTSC) on our TV monitors and 24 (or 72 (24*3) on better displays suck as mine. 120Hz is the best since it is both a multiple of 24 and of 60.) ReClock is a great tool that will use this info in conjunction with your actual display's Hz (essentially fps) to re-sync and properly playback everything (for instance, most movies are 23.976 fps or something instead of 24 fps...) More importantly, it will compensate for 25 fps PAL sources down to 24 (or vice-versa) ...this is very significant, the actual displayed show/movie w/o this tool will be shorter by 2 minutes or so per hour!

As far as playing HD audio, such as DTS-MA, what Video-Card/Audio-card are you using? This is still somewhat "bleeding edge" since they are only now overcoming PAP ("Protective Audio Path") in order to play HD audio without down-sampling somewhere down the chain. I have a Xonar audio-card (basically first one to fully allow TrueHD and DTS-MA without down-sampling.) However, my card requires that you use the Arcsoft Audio Renderer to play HD-Audio. In addition, I found the most luck using ffdshow Audio as the audio filter in this case. (It is the only one that I know of that will truly read the full DTS-MA track and not just playback the DTS-core track...but the settings are tricky and you have to make sure to use "pass-through" (even though obviously you cannot use SPDIF/TOS since only HDMI will allow bit-streaming at such high band-width's. IMHO it's pretty counter-intuitive...)

I hope this helps, I still use LAV Splitter and LAV Video decoder BTW, and keep in mind that software encoding (CUVID off) makes no difference on picture quality - with it off it just does the work on the CPU instead of the GPU - many people incorrectly assumes that HW Decoding is necessary or better-looking when in fact they are over-loading their video-cards and under-utilizing their CPU's. (See my long post on the last page for my own issues on this matter.) While rendering has great implications on video-quality, wherever you do the decoding and whatever tool you use will make no difference on video-quality. (It's like unzipping a file - however you do it does not matter, it just works or does not work...)

Finally remember that de-interlacing is only needed on interlaced materials. People seem to focus on this a lot which makes little sense since most DVD/mkv/avi/and almost *all* Blu-Rays are progressive material (that's the "P" in 1080P or 720P) so de-interlacing should be shut-off unless that is the video's source (i.e. 480i, 1080i - the "i" meaning "interlaced") .

Feel free to respond via PM or in this thread if you need more help. I spent years figuring all of this out and I'd be happy to help others like you that are obviously intelligent but are still in the learning-curve of all this stuff...

cheers!
MikeY
I am currently using a LG W2452V monitor, the full specs can be found here:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/revie...lg-w2452v.html

The country is Brazil, but I don't think it makes any difference in this regard. The video card is 8800 GTS 512 MB, in Core Quad 9450, 2 GB/RAM DDR2-800, Windows 7, Abit IP35 Pro (motherboard), Hard Drive 7200 RPM... I guess this is it.

Even using LAV Audio Decoder I still have audio sync issues with this .m2ts file from the 1080i (60i) source:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Torchw...ay/923/#Review

It's barely noticeable, but it's there, in some scenes you are listening to the audio track after the lips start moving. However, I haven't noticed any problems using Total MediaTheatre, which is a proprietary software from Arcsoft. Why can't we use their decoder?

And it's probably something I am experiencing, not you. Someone explained to me in another thread that my video card (dated 2007 - so it's old now, specially for HD contents) - does not support VC-1 fully (only H264/AVC), so the minor audio delay while using Media Player Classic-Home Cinema must be related to this. I didn't noticed the same audio sync issue with other titles.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 14th January 2012 at 15:28.
Old 15th January 2012, 17:05   #1356  |  Link
wanezhiling

I couldn't find another MPEG4-ASP HW decoder for Nvidia(VP4/VP5) except the outdated one..

Though CPU is easy to do this, it's really a little pity because UVD3.0 could use ArcSoft/PotPlayer/WMP12 to decode XVID, Nvidia has none now...
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 17:53   #1357  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Video 0.45 will have MPEG4 support through cuvid, and maybe if i get bored some time, also for DXVA2
Old 15th January 2012, 18:59   #1358  |  Link
Sebastiii

Nice one
Old 17th January 2012, 15:12   #1359  |  Link
Cyber-Mav

is there a certain driver version requirement for MPEG4-ASP hardware acceleration?
Cyber-Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 16:09   #1360  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Mav View Post
is there a certain driver version requirement for MPEG4-ASP hardware acceleration?
No idea, probably.
There is also a hardware limitation, only VP4 and above supports it.