Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 3rd February 2005, 14:23   #1  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

AR Calculator 2.6.0 (Rip-Pack)

WHAT IS ARCALCULATOR (Introduction for new users)

ARCaltulator is an encoding tool (Rip-pack in the latest version) able of transcode a DVD, DVD previously ripped or an AVI into containers AVI(ODML and Legacy), OGM, or MKV.
It supports any vfw codec you have installed in your PC (with specific support for XviD, DivX and x264). It is also able of encoding audio to MP3, Vorbis OGG, or AAC/MP4 with desired settings.

FEATURES LIST:

-DVD Ripping (you need installed previously DVDDecrypter in your computer)
-D2V projects creation (using latest Donald Graft DGIndex)
-Audio Transcoding: to MP3, Vorbis OGG, or AAC/MP4 (with a nice/powerful GUI for Besweet).
-(Auto)cropping
-Advanced features of Avisynth scriptting: cleaning filters, resizers, deinterlacing filters, QMF, subtitles, misc filters...
-Compressibility Check (which is able of change resolution or video size automatically to the compressibility you choose)
-AVS Optimizer: a tool which will analyze your source, and then it will generate avisynth scripts with specific filtering for each scene using filtering profiles with 10 customizable complexity cases. You can find an example of an AVS generated by AVSOptimizer HERE.
-Preview (With playback, pause, fullscreen, digital zoom...)
-Video encoding (using avs2avi or external encoders like VirtualDubMod)
-Muxing (into AVI, OGM or MKV) (using AVIMUX GUI and OGMuxer)
-Job Queue: where you can store individually all different jobs mentioned above.
-XviD stats reader.
-And much more...

Latest versions, also have a new tool called "AR Robot", which is able of automatize all the process in a few mouse clicks without renounce to powerful features described before.

The program is multilanguage (Spanish and English). You can add other languages just adding new translated .ini files in languages folder.

It is freeware.

You can download latest version (2.6.0) HERE.

You can find a mirror HERE (MAYBE THIS MIRROR IS NOT UPDATED).

SOME SCREENSHOTS:

ARRobot:

Job Queue:

Audio Encoding:

Cropping:

Avisynth / Preview

AVSOptimizer:

Muxing:

Status of Video Encoding (graphical avs2avi):

Last edited by DarkDudae; 29th May 2005 at 00:29.
DarkDudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:15   #2  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Thanks for the tool! Will try this one out.

I have a request to make - can you make all the tooltips + whatever else possible English and not Spanish? I believe your tool can cater to a wider audience this way. I had an earlier version of this tool installed, but didn't do much with it because my Spanish knowledge was zilch.
unskinnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:24   #3  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by unskinnyboy
Thanks for the tool! Will try this one out.

I have a request to make - can you make all the tooltips + whatever else possible English and not Spanish? I believe your tool can cater to a wider audience this way. I had an earlier version of this tool installed, but didn't do much with it because my Spanish knowledge was zilch.
I think all help tips in this version are translated. The only thing not translated is the manual. But we canīt find anyone who wants translate it, and our english skills are not good enough. Anyways, the manual of this version is 1.5 Beta one. Seth is working in the manual for 2.0 final release, and maybe then we will find someone interested in helping us with the translation.

Greetings
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:41   #4  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Here is something which was missed out:

Good work on the tool. Hopefully you would get someone to volunteer for translating the manual in this thread itself.

Quick question - while calculating AR, is there an option somewhere to recheck AR after ITU-R B.601 is unchecked? Right now ARCalc does it assuming ITU-R B.601 is checked, but I believe the DVD which I am currently testing is not spec-compliant and wasn't authored honoring ITU-R B.601. I know I can manually add 16 pixels to the vertical to assume ITU-R B.601 unchecked, but just wondering if the tool has an option? If not, do you plan to implement one? Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:54   #5  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Quote:
Here is something which was missed out:
Yes, we missed it. Thanks, we will fix it for 2.0 final release.

Quote:

while calculating AR, is there an option somewhere to recheck AR after ITU-R B.601 is unchecked? Right now ARCalc does it assuming ITU-R B.601 is checked, but I believe the DVD which I am currently testing is not spec-compliant and wasn't authored honoring ITU-R B.601. I know I can manually add 16 pixels to the vertical to assume ITU-R B.601 unchecked, but just wondering if the tool has an option? If not, do you plan to implement one? Thanks.
No, we didnīt added that option since, as you say, it is not spec-compliant. But we do not discard to add it in next releases.

Greetings
Old 3rd February 2005, 18:44   #6  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Any plan to add mp4 container too?
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:10   #7  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

A little update can be found HERE with some minor bugs fixed:

-Fixed a little bug adding 1st-pass or 2nd-pass video jobs (Configuration codec window was not showed properly in some special cases).

-Fixed some english help tips.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: Just replace the ARCalculator.exe file, and folder "languages" with the ones included in this zip file.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharktooth
Any plan to add mp4 container too?
We have not think on that, but probably yes, it will be added.

Greetings

Last edited by DarkDudae; 3rd February 2005 at 23:13.
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:15   #8  |  Link
Magno

Congratulations for the new version!

I always use ARCalc to make Xvid encodes, and i get great results. I thought you left behind the developing of this tool some months ago, as I saw a brief comment in CanalXvid complaining about nobody reported bugs; actually, I delete the bug list I have done from version 1.5 when I read you had stopped the development and maybe it would have been very useful for this new version.
Magno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:27   #9  |  Link
Fl0ppy

Oh no!!! AR it's back!!!! aaaghhhhhh.....
c00l!!!
I will try with wine, muhahahahhaha

Thanks!!!
Fl0ppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:43   #10  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkDudae
[B]-A little update can be found HERE with some minor bugs fixed:
Thanks for the quick update/bugfix, but how to install this? Replace the previously installed ARCalculator.exe with this? I get a blank popup window with 'Error' in the title bar and if I click and close that, ARCalculator comes up, but in Spanish. I messed up some language setting?
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:52   #11  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Magno
Congratulations for the new version!

I always use ARCalc to make Xvid encodes, and i get great results. I thought you left behind the developing of this tool some months ago, as I saw a brief comment in CanalXvid complaining about nobody reported bugs; actually, I delete the bug list I have done from version 1.5 when I read you had stopped the development and maybe it would have been very useful for this new version.
We left the development almost 6 month ago, however, people began to post bugs, or suggesting new features. So we decided to release a new version with some new features, and a lot of bug fixes.

If you can read spanish, there is a full changelog in the program folder where you can find all the fixed bugs that users reported us during all this time. Hopefully, the bugs you found are already fixed in this release.

If someone wants the changelog translated into english, just ask for it.

Greetings!

Last edited by DarkDudae; 3rd February 2005 at 22:55.
Old 3rd February 2005, 23:00   #12  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the quick update/bugfix, but how to install this? Replace the previously installed ARCalculator.exe with this? I get a blank popup window with 'Error' in the title bar and if I click and close that, ARCalculator comes up, but in Spanish. I messed up some language setting?
Yes, you must overwrite it. I think that error is produced because you didnīt closed properly the program before trying to overwrite it.

When do you get that error ? during overwriting, or when you execute the new exe file ?

EDIT: Maybe you only have overwritten exe file, and not the languages folder (it is also in the .zip file). Anyways, if the problem doesnīt dissapear, you can re-download the program in the main link (my signatureīs one). I have updated the installer with the fixes.

Greetings

Last edited by DarkDudae; 3rd February 2005 at 23:12.
Old 3rd February 2005, 23:31   #13  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Thanks. Installation of the whole Rip-pack fixed the error. Earlier I was getting it when I was trying to execute the new exe. No other copies of ARCalculator.exe was running too as per Task Manager.

Question - Is the version still RC1 or should this be RC2 now with the bugfix integrated? The zip file containing the updated exe which you provided was named RC2. ARCalculator20RC2Update.zip to be precise.

Last edited by unskinnyboy; 3rd February 2005 at 23:33.
Old 3rd February 2005, 23:41   #14  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

It is still RC1. I updated the installer, but keeping the name RC1. I donīt want new users get confused with the update since it only fixes minor bugs

Greetings
Old 4th February 2005, 03:04   #15  |  Link
pixolex

i think just chapters in matroska is missing...or am i wrong?!

I mean the auto extraction from the vobs...

Last edited by pixolex; 4th February 2005 at 03:07.
pixolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 03:44   #16  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by pixolex
i think just chapters in matroska is missing...or am i wrong?!

I mean the auto extraction from the vobs...
I donīt know what you mean exactly. In matroska muxing, there are two types of Chapters files accepted: xml and OGG (txt) chapters. If you use ARRobot, the chapters will be added automatically in the muxing.

Is that what you mean ?

Greetings
Old 4th February 2005, 03:58   #17  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Just another suggestion:
x.264 codec support along with the previously suggested .mp4 container support just to have a fully AVC+AAC in .mp4 encoding app.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 16:51   #18  |  Link
pixolex

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkDudae
If you use ARRobot, the chapters will be added automatically in the muxing.
Automatically extracted from de VOBs is that?
if it is, that's what a want.

Thanks!
pixolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 19:56   #19  |  Link
jjseth

Quote:
Automatically extracted from de VOBs is that?
Maybe I'm wrong but ARCalculator don't extract chapters files yet....but chapters files (ogm's .txt and matroska's .xml created by other tools, try ChapterXtractor) can be muxed with ARC.

Smile, tomorrow will be worst

Sorry my poor english
jjseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2005, 21:00   #20  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

Chapters list is not extracted from VOB files, but IFO files. ARCalculator doesnīt allow to export chapters list to a file. However, when AR Robot is used inside ARCalculator, chapters list is automatically imported to MKV, OGM, or AVI files automatically.

Quote:
Originally posted bySharktooth:

x.264 codec support along with the previously suggested .mp4 container support just to have a fully AVC+AAC in .mp4 encoding app.
AR Calculator has support for all vfw codecs you have installed in your PC. However, XviD and DivX have additional support.

In example: you use ARRobot for a full encoding process with xvid or divx. After audio encoding in job queue, ARCalculculator will automatically re-adjust video bitrate in xvid or divx settings with the exact video size =Final Size - Audio Size - Overhead. In case you use another codec, the video size is not changed, so the final size (audio+video) may differ some MegaBytes with the desired ones. The reason is that if you do not use XviD or DivX, the program only can estimate audio size before encoding it.

Anyways, x264 is progressing quickly, so we will add in short special support for it, just like we already have for XviD and DivX.

Greetings!