Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 26th June 2004, 12:47   #1  |  Link
Nyq

convert srt to son and vobsub

software

srt2sup
subrip
pic2pic
son2vobsub

1.open text srt file with SRT2SUP
set background color to white
set text, outline, antialias color to blue, red or black
(the colors used by DVDMaestro)
other setting just follow this guide

2.select "SRT File"->"Save All as Bitmap"
save as a new srt file and lots of bmp files

3.use pic2pic convert all the bmp files from 32bpp to 16 color format. (don't change the output file names)

4.convert the new srt file to DVDMaestro format (son & spf) with Subrip

5.open *.son file with notepad. change Color and Contrast setting to desired color
(you can modify *.spf as well)

6.convert *.son to vobsub (idx+sub) format with son2vobsub

then it's done.

Nyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2004, 15:13   #2  |  Link
ukendt

Fine guide pal, I made it sticky....FINE WORK !
ukendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2004, 18:59   #3  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Another way :
1°) srt --> ssa with Subrip or SubtitleWorkshop.
2°) ssa --> son with MaestroSBT.
3°) son --> vobsub (idx/sub) with son2vobsub.

Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2004, 14:30   #4  |  Link
ekway

hi

and then how to use .idx&.sub to add to a new dvd?thanks!
ekway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2004, 12:04   #5  |  Link
Zavo

Well, my new DVD player can read also DivX...creating subtitles with your procedures allow my player to show the subtitles stream while watching the divX?
(the player is a Gericom AD 2020)
Zavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2004, 20:42   #6  |  Link
kitsaros2000

I made a tool/gui called Txt2Vobsub that converts srt/sub/txt to vobsub in one click.

Download it from here
http://utenti.lycos.it/trust_fm/Txt2Vobsub.html

Tell me what you think

Last edited by kitsaros2000; 31st August 2004 at 10:31.
kitsaros2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 01:05   #7  |  Link
rte5

Quote:
Originally posted by kitsaros2000
I made a tool/gui called Txt2Vobsub that converts srt/sub/txt to vobsub in one click.

Download it from here

Tell me what you think
I think it's a good idea, but it doesn't work for me. The automation fails near the end, I think at son2vobSub. Looks like MaestroSBT gives a "did you save?" warning.. I just tried it again on another computer and if failed earlier. Now I moved it to another folder and it does the failure at son2vobSub with file not found, like before.

I've been doing antialias subs with this procedure:

1°) srt --> ssa with Subrip or SubtitleWorkshop.
2°) ssa --> son with MaestroSBT.
3°) son --> vobsub (idx/sub) with son2vobsub.
4°) SUBtoSUP

Then IfoEdit or ReJig.

Your tool could remove all but the last step.
rte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:19   #8  |  Link
kitsaros2000

thx for your help i updated the version 1.0.2 . I tryed it to two pc using xp and works perfectly i made some changes ...
When i made this tool i wanted to do and the sups but the colors were wrong. The only method i know is sub(microdvd) to sup converter http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/Softwa...VDSupTools.htm
BUT you have to pick a different palete from that that is being used for the original subs .
For example if your dvd uses the palette 0,1,2,3 you should use the pallete 4,5,6,7 in order to get the right colors for ALL the sups (the original AND the added).

Im doing a player (arpa kolla) that analyzes and picks the right pallete using DVDSupTools but i dont have time to implement it right now .

*PS i tryed always with my tool to COPY the pallette from the original ripped idx/sub and port it to the generated vobsub and the convert it to sup but still the colors were wrong . Dont know why .
Old 9th September 2004, 02:33   #9  |  Link
IGM3

hi guys!!. i done this ok. i convert my srt file to idx/sub, but how to mux 2 srt files ( 2languages ) into a one idx/sub?

i wanna to do this for some divx with spanish and english subtitles, and play it in the xbox (only plays 2 subtitles if the subs are in idx/sub format, because files will be the same name that the video file).

I think is maybe an option of son2vobsub, but only can select one *.son file...

PD: sorry for my english!! i'm spanish.

best regasrds!!
IGM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2004, 03:35   #10  |  Link
Vigge

Re: convert srt to son and vobsub

Quote:
other setting just follow this guide
The link dosn`t work anymore...

Also I can`t change the colors.
Vigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2004, 10:05   #11  |  Link
Yusaku

huh, someone's found my little toy (son2vobsub)

kitsaros2000: you can force MaestroSBT to shift colors - just use loadpalette and load either dummy 4-color palette or load palette from original DVD (e.g. extracted from VobSub output)

IGM3: As the tool was primarily meant for importing to mkv, it doesn't support it... will be added as soon as I have some time.

ekway: DVD authoring format is SON for scenaristNT...

Also, if someone wants to skip SUB2SUP phase and knows the format of ifoedit's SUPs, contact me. And send any requests this way as well
Yusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 17:46   #12  |  Link
box-hk

Quote:
Originally posted by Yusaku
huh, someone's found my little toy (son2vobsub)

kitsaros2000: you can force MaestroSBT to shift colors - just use loadpalette and load either dummy 4-color palette or load palette from original DVD (e.g. extracted from VobSub output)

IGM3: As the tool was primarily meant for importing to mkv, it doesn't support it... will be added as soon as I have some time.

ekway: DVD authoring format is SON for scenaristNT...

Also, if someone wants to skip SUB2SUP phase and knows the format of ifoedit's SUPs, contact me. And send any requests this way as well
Hi all,
Yusaku: your tool (son2vobsub) is great!! I had found something that may make it more perfect:

I converted a ".srt" file and got a ".idx" file & a ".sub" file as above mentioned.
Inside the ".idx" file, there didn't have a line:

# Vob/Cell ID: 1, 1 (PTS: 0)

There are 2 problems I found:
1. Using of "Subresyn" of VobSub caused VobID & CellID equal "unknown".
2. Caused my DVD Player cannot recognized the subtitle files & even the movie cannot start playing.

I don't know the meaning & function of the line. The line started with "#" seems a line for remarks or notes, however it seemed have other actual function, agree?

Therefore, if there have'nt provided any information for the use of the above line, I would like to suggest to default adding this line to the ".idx" file by using yr tools. Many Thanks !!
box-hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2004, 18:05   #13  |  Link
box-hk

Quote:

Download it from here

Tell me what you think
Hi rte5 ,
Your tool make me very convenient from converting txt/srt to vobsub.
One thing: for the input of VobSub Language, there is a selection "cn Chinese", can I have another selection "zh Chinese" added since my DVD Player (play Divx/Mpeg4 as well) recognized "zh" as Chinese but it recognized "cn" as "unknown" and cannot display subtitles at all. Now I just input "zh" manually to the field, it works at all.

Now, inside the "idx" file we still can see:

# Unknown
id: zh, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: Unknown

Looking forward to yr new version launch again. Many Thanks!!
Old 16th December 2004, 18:10   #14  |  Link
box-hk

Quote:
Originally posted by box-hk
Hi rte5 ,
Your tool make me very convenient from converting txt/srt to vobsub.
One thing: for the input of VobSub Language, there is a selection "cn Chinese", can I have another selection "zh Chinese" added since my DVD Player (play Divx/Mpeg4 as well) recognized "zh" as Chinese but it recognized "cn" as "unknown" and cannot display subtitles at all. Now I just input "zh" manually to the field, it works at all.

Now, inside the "idx" file we still can see:

# Unknown
id: zh, index: 0
# Decomment next line to activate alternative name in DirectVobSub / Windows Media Player 6.x
# alt: Unknown

Looking forward to yr new version launch again. Many Thanks!!
SORRY, I hade made a big mistake here, my previous reply above is intended for kitsaros2000
Sorry again here ...
Old 17th January 2005, 14:34   #15  |  Link
lordyu

I tried Txt2Vobsub and I think I had the same problem as rte5 had. It stopped at the last window, Son2VSub, and there was an error dialog: File not found.

As it looked like Txt2Vobsub was just a frontend to the 3-step method described by Kurtnoise13, I then tried the manual way using SubtitleWorkshop+MaestroSBT+Son2VobSub and got great result. I like the way I can position the subtitles on the left, middle, right of the screen, with auto justification, and it is very easy with the support of multiple styles in MaestroSBT.

Previously I tried a long and painful process using SubtitleCreator to convert .srt to .sup and then DVD Shrink to make a smaller DVD from the original one and then VobEdit to demultiplex video, audio, sup files from the shrunk DVD and then IfoEdit to reauthor the DVD add video, audio, the old sup files and the new sup back to the movie and then DVD Decrypter to extract all the subtitle streams and then VSRip to convert to .idx/.sub!! IfoEdit proved to be painful. I got less than 50% success rate with a full 2-hour movie. ReJig didn't work at all with big movie but worked with a short test movie.

Now I can create nice new .idx/.sub easily with MaestroSBT and Son2VobSub. The question is how to merge the new .idx/.sub to the existing .idx/.sub ripped from DVD? There are tools to split or remove subtitle streams from .idx/.sub but I have yet to find a tool that can merge two or more sets of .idx/.sub. Any ideas?

PS. There is a new tool Winsubtitler http://winsubtitler.wyxsoftware.com/ . It can create .son directly from .srt and many others but I can't find the easy way to put some subtitles on the left or right. But the tool is still new and sometimes crashes and I haven't been able to produce a working .idx/.sub from .son it created but hopefully it will improve soon.

Last edited by lordyu; 17th January 2005 at 14:40.
lordyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 15:08   #16  |  Link
kitsaros2000

i have updated txt2vobsub ! now i use only son2vobsub as gui .

Tell me if now works !

Byez !
Old 28th January 2005, 20:30   #17  |  Link
magnop

Quote:
i have updated txt2vobsub ! now i use only son2vobsub as gui .

Tell me if now works !

Byez !
Received the following error during Son2VobSub fase:

"Access violation at address 00475D6C in module 'Son2VSub.exe'. Read of address 00BA1E30."

magnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2005, 13:46   #18  |  Link
kitsaros2000

i have updated Txt2Vobsub and i corrected some small bugs .
The new vesrion can be found here : http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareTxt2Vobsub.html

Have a nice day.
Old 19th March 2005, 01:57   #19  |  Link
girlishmoon

Can not detect srt

when i try click on 'generate vobsub', after i've already loaded my .srt file(subs appear on box on the right), it says 'please load .srt/sub file ' etc, whats the problem?? cuz i've already loaded it.
girlishmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 11:55   #20  |  Link
zion302

anybody know how to merge two (or more) vobsub (.idx+.sub) subtitles into ONE .sub+.idx? I was able to convert .srt to vobsub and could be played in my DVD Player, which does not playback .srt in language other than English.

Thx
zion302 is offline   Reply With Quote