Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 18th December 2003, 01:35   #1  |  Link
golfbc

SPDIF in Recode 2

Amazingly everything in the Nero package has worked well except for digital audio through SPDIF. Showtime plays DVD's and DVD Video perfectly and effectively utilizes the SPDIF functionality. However, the Nero Digital playback through SPDIF fails to generate anything but stereo signals. Doom9 references this in the user guide and I am just looking for confirmation that my issue isn't pilot error. If this is true does anyone have insight as to if this will be available in the future? I play Divx through a home theatre system in another room and was hoping to use Nero to do the same.

Thanks for being patient with this long-winded post
golfbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 08:08   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

In NeroDigital you have AAC audio. I don't know about the technical side, but AAC isn't transmitted via SPDIF for the simple fact that no device on the other end could decide it, thus it is decoded on your computer (and downmixed if necessary) and your SPDIF output will only carry a 2 channel PCM signal. It depends on the acceptance of AAC if this will ever change. I'd say for the forseeable future I wouldn't bet any money on that.
Old 19th December 2003, 17:12   #3  |  Link
KpeX

AAC over SPDIF may be closer than we think . Cirrus already offers a home theater chip capable of decoding AAC. I remember seeing a thread on HA a while back about a receiver that could process AAC, unfortunately I can't find it ATM. However these devices obviously aren't very common yet or people would be requesting an AAC Dshow filter with spdif capability .

Edit: Found one receiver that will do it, the Sony TA-E9000ES. And at least one user who got spdif to work for AAC using some obscure DVD player.

Last edited by KpeX; 19th December 2003 at 17:24.
KpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 17:43   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by KpeX
AAC over SPDIF may be closer than we think . Cirrus already offers a home theater chip capable of decoding AAC. I remember seeing a thread on HA a while back about a receiver that could process AAC, unfortunately I can't find it ATM. However these devices obviously aren't very common yet or people would be requesting an AAC Dshow filter with spdif capability .

Edit: Found one receiver that will do it, the Sony TA-E9000ES. And at least one user who got spdif to work for AAC using some obscure DVD player.
Damn! You beat me too it!

EDIT: There should also be some DAB radios (in the UK) with 6Ch AAC decoding chips appearing in them very soon. If they are not already here that is!

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 19th December 2003 at 17:50.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 00:25   #5  |  Link
golfbc

It is very gratifying to know there are knowledgeable people at this site who have cutting edge information. Thanks for the feedback.
golfbc is offline   Reply With Quote