Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 14th December 2003, 03:38   #41  |  Link
SurfDrifter
Mind Over Matter

Is it possible to use the codec for other uses, besides DVD conversion?

I was hoping to use it with After effects, but i couldn't see the codec in the pulldown list...
Old 14th December 2003, 05:09   #42  |  Link
Tuning
I'm back! :D

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfDrifter
Is it possible to use the codec for other uses, besides DVD conversion?
I was hoping to use it with After effects, but i couldn't see the codec in the pulldown list...
This is not possible untill ahead developers decide to make a vfw version.
Old 14th December 2003, 05:32   #43  |  Link
Baalthazaar

Re: Re: Re: Machine Keeps Resetting With Coverting DVD 2 MP4

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePanther
Temperature is fine.... max 69oC
If your processor is actually running at those temps during encodes then your problem is definately heat. Even if you have a motherboard with a poor temp sensor I've never heard of one off by more than 10oC and there's no way you'll make it through a full encode even if we assume your temps are inflated. Go and download prime95 and see if you can run it consistently without errors/crashes. If not, you likely have a heat problem.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

You could also test with Sandra or some other CPU intensive app, looping 3DMark'01 for a few hours for instance. I'd recommend Prime95, however, because it will report errors if it doesn't crash immediately.
Baalthazaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 06:01   #44  |  Link
McoreD

Quote:
Originally posted by plazz2000
Hi,

Maybe someone can help me out here, in Recode2 there are 3 options:

Copy Entire DVD to DVD
Remake DVD
Copy DVD to NeroDigital
etc...
John.
Hi there,

I had the exact problem. Uninstalling, Deleting the reg keys, Installing and Restarting didn't help me either.

Go to Start Smart and click the big NERO button. Click serial numbers and delete all the previous version keys. Then start Nero Burning ROM and it will ask for the key. Now insert your 6.3.0.0 key and everything will work fine after that.
Old 14th December 2003, 11:21   #45  |  Link
DarkDudae
ARCalculator Developer

I uninstalled NeVideo.ax to try decode a ND video using FFDSHOW and CoreAAC, and well, CoreAAC opens the audio perfectly. However, I can´t manage to ffdshow opens the vídeo (configuring it to open any MPEG-4 video). Maybe it is problem of the container?

About the quality... it is not a wonder... but it is really easy, and fast to use.

Regards
DarkDudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 12:10   #46  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Stux
Halfpel (pixel) motion is part of the MPEG-4 Simple Profile
Thanks for the clarification.

Well, that's confused me even more now. Assuming that QuickTime Pro uses Halfpel as default in their encodes. Why is it their files play fine with the Xcard and Recode2's don't?

Cheers

EDIT: I'm wondering if it might be something to do with the AAC audio. Up to this morning I just used Nero's ShowTime to see if the encodes worked. However, I found earlier today that despite WMP9 being able to play both the audio and video streams of a Recode2 encode (slide bar dosn't work though). MPC (v6.4.7.2) can only play the video stream. The following 'Warning' appears: -

Stream 1

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {4134504D-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 0
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 20

WAVEFORMATEX:
wFormatTag: 0x0000
nChannels: 2
nSamplesPerSec: 48000
nAvgBytesPerSec: 0
nBlockAlign: 0
wBitsPerSample: 0
cbSize: 2 (extra bytes)

I guess Recode2 does not like the Core AAC DS filter I've installed. When everything else does!

I wonder if Recode2 will allow me to generate a 'Video only' encode from my DVD source. If my Xcard can cope with just the video stream encode, then I think it's fair to assume the problem is with the audio!

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 14th December 2003 at 12:49.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 13:05   #47  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
WAVEFORMATEX:
wFormatTag: 0x0000
nChannels: 2
nSamplesPerSec: 48000
nAvgBytesPerSec: 0
nBlockAlign: 0
wBitsPerSample: 0
cbSize: 2 (extra bytes)

I guess Recode2 does not like the Core AAC DS filter I've installed. When everything else does!
Ahead people decided to use another wFormat tag than anybody else until now. Nic selected 0x00FF for his 'crappy beta' AAC filter, and since then anybody else, including the 3ivX people, were using the same one.

BTW, i wonder what wFormat tag alexnoe will use for his AAC-in-AVI implementation, and how mayn different wFormat tags will pop-up as there is no 'official' tag defined from the MPAA .... confusion and frustration of the users are guaranteed, this shit really should never had happened, at least an 'official' GUID for playback on DShow should have been defined by them....
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 13:31   #48  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Ahh! Thanks Christian,

I think we are getting nearer to the heart of the problem. Maybe the Xcard does not like this wFormatTag either!

Why is everything like this so difficult to standardise?

Maybe everybody on the Doom9 forum should get together to create our own official "Unofficial A/V Regulative Association" or UAVRA!

Joking apart, it might not be such a stupid idea!

What do you think?

Cheers

EDIT: I forgot to ask. What AAC filter are people using in order to listen to the Recode2 audio stream with MPC?

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 14th December 2003 at 13:50.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 13:40   #49  |  Link
McoreD

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
I found earlier today that despite WMP9 being able to play both the audio and video streams of a Recode2 encode (slide bar dosn't work though).
However subtitles won't work in Windows Media Player if I not wrong.
Subtitles worked for me only in Nero ShowTime. QuickTime didn't show either. Can anybody please confirm?
Old 14th December 2003, 13:59   #50  |  Link
bond

the subs nero puts into .mp4 are not mpeg-4 spec compliant and will only be shown in their own players

edit: and did i already say that i hate it if progs steal extensions

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 14th December 2003 at 14:08.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 14:10   #51  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
the subs nero puts into .mp4 are not mpeg-4 spec compliant and will only be shown in their own players
Same goes for the chapter information.

Quote:
and did i already say that i hate it if progs steal extensions
I'm with you on that.. all my media files are now labelled "Nero ShowTime Files" and I'm not particularly fond of any player but WMP and MPC. At least ShowTime also plays DVDs but I wished I were asked if I really wanted to make those changes.
Old 14th December 2003, 19:04   #52  |  Link
bobololo

ND Subtitles & Chapters issue

I'd like to bring some clarifications about ND mp4 files, Subtitles and Chapters support as it seems to generate much discussions, lack of understanding, etc. I hope this could enlight you on the way it is done and why.

Basically, the mpeg-4 standard doesn't specify a way to handle subtitles and chapters. That is to say the notion of movie subtitles and chapters doesn't exist in the standard. From that assumption, there is no reason to say subtiltes or chapters are ISO compliant or not since there is no spec for this.

However mpeg-4 is a very rich standard and provide several tools one can use to implement the support of subtitles and chapters. For the subtitles, we can have :

- 2D BIFS
- Streaming Text Format (14496-17)
- private data

The first approach (2D BIFS) consists in the use of the complex mpeg-4 system layer to describe a presentation composed of multiple objects (audio stream, video stream, 2D bitmap, etc.). In the absolute this should be the best way to implement subtitles. However, due to its complexity it would involve a lot of work for us which simply means more delay before the release ! Beside this constraint, we were also faced to the fact that such complex system management would become a real headache on embedded platforms (ie standalones) were resource are extrexemly limited. Therefore a fast adoption of MP4 format in this area. Just imagine us telling standalone manufacturers : to support MP4 it's quite easy, just read the 1000 pages of mpeg-4 BIFS system standard, then make it fit in your 16 kB of memory and you'll get it ! You'll understand that solution was not reasonable for us and that's why we prefer in our first stage to not use this implementation. But in futur evolutions, the addition of new features like menus, interactivity, and with the spreading of more powerful chips, we may seriously consider this solution.

The second solution "Streaming Text Format" is a new part of the standard not approved yet. It uses text data rather than bitmap for the subtitles and relies on the previous system layer. Considering subtitles in DVD are bitmap it would require some OCR process. In conclusion this solution is even harder to implement (imagine bitmap to unicode conversion for chinese or arabic language !). So we coulnd't choose this way.

And finaly the last solution uses mp4 file user data to store our info. Since the mp4 file provides private data space, we simply put our compressed data here. These user data must be discarded by decoders that don't know how to handle them so that shouldn't hurt.
This was the best compromise we found and basically this doesn't differ much from other system like vobsub which stores data in a file beside.

For the chapter list, we applied the same recipe since there was no really other mean to achieve this.

I hope this clarify a little bit things and help you to understand why these choice were done.

And last but not least, for those who are concerned about ND MP4 files support on their standalone, be sure we're making much efforts in promoting ISO MP4 support in standalones. Discussions are on the way and hopefuly mp4 support will come quite soon.
bobololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 19:36   #53  |  Link
Longinus

Quote:
MPC (v6.4.7.2) can only play the video stream. The following 'Warning' appears: -

Get the newest CoreAAC DS filter....
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 20:39   #54  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Longinus
Get the newest CoreAAC DS filter....
I thought I had the newest version. But it turns out it wasn't!

It turns out that v1.0b8 does the trick.

Thanks
Old 14th December 2003, 21:36   #55  |  Link
unixfs

Re: ND Subtitles & Chapters issue

Quote:
Originally posted by bobololo

And last but not least, for those who are concerned about ND MP4 files support on their standalone, be sure we're making much efforts in promoting ISO MP4 support in standalones. Discussions are on the way and hopefuly mp4 support will come quite soon.
Good, but in the meantime I want to use my standalone without buying
another one.
I tried to remux the MP4 file to avi,
but it seems that neither ffdshow nor ffvfw can decode the video stream.
Arent XVID and LAVC compatible with Nero's MP4V?

Since Nero is already able to encode to mp3, why doesn't Recode
give the option to encode to mp3 or wav or to embed the original AC3? Or to mux to AVI?

Quality and speed seem to be good; I like the product, but
the current limitations make it unusable for me;
I'll stick to xvid until ND can generate AVI files.

Thanks.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 22:04   #56  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Re: ND Subtitles & Chapters issue

Quote:
And last but not least, for those who are concerned about ND MP4 files support on their standalone, be sure we're making much efforts in promoting ISO MP4 support in standalones. Discussions are on the way and hopefully mp4 support will come quite soon.
Are you able to clarify which standalone manufacturers you will be talking too please?

Many people with standalones will be relieved to know!

Cheers
Old 14th December 2003, 22:21   #57  |  Link
bobololo

Re: Re: ND Subtitles & Chapters issue

Quote:
Originally posted by unixfs
Good, but in the meantime I want to use my standalone without buying
another one.
Your standalone could receive a firmware update to allow this support.

Quote:

I tried to remux the MP4 file to avi,
but it seems that neither ffdshow nor ffvfw can decode the video stream.
Arent XVID and LAVC compatible with Nero's MP4V?
Quite strange, AFAIK our mpeg-4 video stream should be decoded correctly with libavcodec (ffmpeg). Several people reported me they succeeded doing that. What do you get exactly ? Maybe it's just a FOURCC issue ?

Quote:

Since Nero is already able to encode to mp3, why doesn't Recode
give the option to encode to mp3 or wav or to embed the original AC3? Or to mux to AVI?

Quality and speed seem to be good; I like the product, but
the current limitations make it unusable for me;
I'll stick to xvid until ND can generate AVI files.

Thanks.
Well this are some marketing strategies I won't discuss here. However I've just an inquiry. Suppose you get mp4 support on your standalone, considering mp4 provides subtitles, chapters, he-aac, asp, menus, and support for future h.264 codec. Is there any good reasons to get stick with AVI ?
bobololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 22:42   #58  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is there any good reasons to get stick with AVI ?
With a vfw codec (even Microsoft is offering one), you can use all the AVI editing tools on the market. It will take years for another container to ever get the same kind of support. If you're into video editing these days there's just no way around AVI. Editing anything else is cumbersome (okay, we do have VDubMod which supports OGM and Matroska so at least there we have some flexibility, but it's far from all the tools that support just AVI).
Old 14th December 2003, 22:47   #59  |  Link
unixfs

Re: Re: Re: ND Subtitles & Chapters issue

Quote:
Your standalone could receive a firmware update to allow this support.
I hope it, but I won't believe it until I see it.
My player is an el-cheapest Nortek NDVX 100, based on ESS Vibrato I chipset.

Quote:
Quite strange, AFAIK our mpeg-4 video stream should be decoded correctly with libavcodec (ffmpeg). Several people reported me they succeeded doing that. What do you get exactly ? Maybe it's just a FOURCC issue ?
I changed both in VDUBMod and in Avichange, but no version of
VD could decode the content.
My ffvfw is a build dated 20032810.

Quote:
Well this are some marketing strategies I won't discuss here. However I've just an inquiry. Suppose you get mp4 support on your standalone, considering mp4 provides subtitles, chapters, he-aac, asp, menus, and support for future h.264 codec. Is there any good reasons to get stick with AVI ?
None. I'd switch immediately to ND.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2003, 22:49   #60  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom9 With a vfw codec (even Microsoft is offering one), you can use all the AVI editing tools on the market.
... this is, until you get hold of an AVI with Vorbis or AAC inside. Its maybe possible to hack this stuff into AVI using special programs like avi-mux GUI, nandub or vdubmod, but there is no way to support a VBR audio stream via the ACM API, so any normal video editor will just fail on these kind of files, and AVIs 'great wide spread editing support' is pointless ....
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote