Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 14th September 2003, 04:08   #1  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

FACAR - As seen on TV!

Hi there,

I released a new improved version of Gerti's SemiAutoCropAndResize script for DVD2SVCD. Excerpts from the Readme:
Quote:
FACAR (Fully Automated Crop And Resize) crops and resizes a DVD source to any of 7 typical (X)SVCD resolutions, mantaining exactly the original visual size and eliminating overscan.

Features

<i>. Overscan based cropping
You specify the vertical and horizontal overscan as a percentage. The script then determines the number of blocks to crop in both dimensions. This results in automatic cropping for any resolution you choose.

<ii>. Supports any of the 7 popular output resolutions (As in FitCD).

<iii>. Additional filtering
You may use the PreResize.avs and PostResize.avs scripts to insert any filters you like. The defaults include the KISS recipe, a simple and powerful compression enhancer, and a CCE encoding visualizer.

<iv>. BlockOptimization auto mode
If you set BlockOptimization to 0, a default of 8 is applied to VCD and 4:3 sources, and 16 in all other cases.

<v>. Support for QMF with resizing functions (Batteries included)

<vi>. Overscan overlay with transparency in debug mode
This WYSIWYG feature will show you how much FACAR is actually cropping and may help you decide better the resolution or block optimization you want, should you decide to play with them.

<vii>. Resizer preview modes
This feature will help you decide which resizer to use by showing them on the same frame.

<viii>. "As seen on TV" mode as default (AsoTV)
Gerti's original script handled 704-based frame sizes with vertical shrinking to keep the aspect ratio. Now, 704-based frame sizes have exactly the same height as the original source, so all resolutions work now in "As seen on TV" mode by default.

<ix>. Corrected picture in preview mode (NTSC & PAL)
You'll see the output of the clip with the correct aspect ratio on the screen so you can choose the frame size which works best for you on each particular movie.
Available at:

http://www.geocities.com/r6d2_stuff/ (primary)
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/r6d2/ (secondary)NOT latest version.

Cheers,
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)

Last edited by r6d2; 8th February 2004 at 23:32.
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2003, 04:13   #2  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

FACAR Change log

Code:
# Change log:
#
# v1.06.7
# - Added corrected aspect ratio in preview mode for PAL (now both NTSC and PAL supported).
# - Fixed OverscanH bug of cropping too much top&bottom on "high" anamorphic movies (DetectedHeight > 448 in NTSC).
# - Changed default values for Overscan to 5%.
#
# v1.06.6
# - Added "real" ASOTV mode and set as default.
# - Fixed aspect ratio on 528x480 frame size, mistaken as 704-based in FitCD.
# - Simplified aspect ratio calculation on 544x480 frame size to make it more general.
# - Added corrected aspect ratio in preview mode (for NTSC only in this version).
# - Reorder parameter entry to most used on top for easier setup.
#
# v1.06.5
# - Added automated AutoCrop values fill in (thanks Tylo)
# - Added resizer preview modes
# - Renumbered and included the 7 resolutions in non-DVD2SVCD mode.
# - Fixed anamorphic source flag bug introduced in 1.06.4 when output was VCD.
#
# v1.06.4
# - Added automated install/uninstall (thanks Tylo)
# - Added visual transparency overlay of overscan area in debug mode
# - Perfectly integrated with D2Sroba (thanks Tylo)
# - Repackaging of third parties utilities (AutoCrop11 now bundled with docs fixed)
# - Fixed: weird things happened if you changed heavily the overscan defaults.
# - Fixed: manual override of BlockOptimization was not being applied.
# - General doc improvements
#
# v1.06.3a
# - Added all needed files on the zip.
# - Added support for QMF
# - Rearranged parameter order for most frequently used first.
# - Fixed: wrong output (just in preview mode) when using non standard res and VCD was selected in DVD2SVCD.
#
# v1.06.2
# - Added BlockOptimization = 0 (auto mode)
# - Added more debug info
# - Fixed: BlocksToCropVertical calculation to reflect anamorphic source
#
# v1.06.1
# - Added support for any output resolution (as in FitCD)
# - Replaced BlocksToCrop parameters by Overscan parameters (adjusts itself now)
# - Added Debug level 3, even more data
# - Fixed: old AviSynth syntax bug (thanks sh0dan)
# - Fixed: Original docs had BlocksToCrop reversed (thanks Holomatrix)
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)

Last edited by r6d2; 8th February 2004 at 23:33.
Old 14th September 2003, 20:09   #3  |  Link
jorel

please r6d2, have another link?

<edit>
now is ok,thanks!
Old 14th September 2003, 22:53   #4  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by jorel
i try to open the link 3 times today and got:
"page not found".

please r6d2, have another link?
Added a secondary link. According to Yahoo!, the page has been up all the time, though. Maybe it is a DNS problem with your provider.

Edit: jorel, either your DNS is 5 days old or you browser's cache is playing tricks on you. Both links are up.

Last edited by r6d2; 14th September 2003 at 23:05.
Old 14th September 2003, 22:59   #5  |  Link
jorel

great,the secondary link is perfect here,open faster.
r6d2, thanks!

@ DDogg
thank you too my friend,i got it!

Old 15th September 2003, 15:35   #6  |  Link
tylo
Author of D2SRoBa

@r6d2

I've played around with the AutoCrop C++ code, and made a new version of the AutoCrop avisynth plugin. It enables AutoCrop itself to fill in the detected Top and Width for you, making it independent from D2SRoBa. This will make FACAR very much alike RB's AutoFitCD plugin in functionality (only it will not switch to the FACAR template autmatically after preview).

If you're interested, I will make it available to you (incl source code), so you can include it with your FACAR distribution.

Six new optional parameters:
- outFile : ini file name to write back cropping information
- outSection : ini section name
- outKeyLeft : ini key name for detected left
- outKeyTop : ini key name for detected top
- outKeyWidth : ini key name for detected width
- outKeyHeight : ini key name for detected height

When the outFile + outSection are specified, AutoCrop will write the output in preview mode(=1) only. I.e. it will no longer be neccesary with the extra call with mode=2. The new AutoCrop version is fully backward compatible with v1.1.

[AVISYNTH_FACAR DetectBorders]
2=AutoCrop(mode=1, ..., outFile=!ThisFile.ini, outSection="AVISYNTH_FACAR", outKeyTop="^DetectedTop.", outKeyHeight="^DetectedHeight")
!ThisFile.ini=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\AVISYNTH.INI
tylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2003, 16:14   #7  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by tylo
[B]@r6d2

If you're interested, I will make it available to you (incl source code), so you can include it with your FACAR distribution.
@Tylo,

Sounds great! I had been playing with AutoCrop 1.1 calls to detect and use the values directly (like GripFit does), but I found that sometimes AutoCrop just doesn't get it right. Human intervention to say "this is it" is still needed or you may find out later that you lost a lot of time.

If you have time, you might try to modify AutoCrop algo to do something like this: instead of using a predefined threshold, scan the lines and compute the maximum M for all of them. Then stop when (M(n)-M(n-1)) > E, where E is the possible error of a black area (determined experimentally). I think this way human intervention can be left aside.

I'd do it myself, but C++ is quite obscure to me. I'm an old timer.

Please e-mail me your code (I PMed you my e-mail address).
Old 21st September 2003, 16:43   #8  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

FACAR 1.06.5 is out

New features/fixes:

# v1.06.5
# - Added automated AutoCrop values fill in (thanks Tylo)
# - Added resizer preview modes
# - Renumbered and included the 7 resolutions in non-DVD2SVCD mode.
# - Fixed anamorphic source flag bug introduced in 1.06.4 when output was VCD.

I've found that for Q=constant, resizers increase the demand for bitrate in this order:
Code:
Resizer	          BR
Lanczos	         115%
Bicubic(0,0.6)	 111%
Bicubic(0,0.5)	 110%
Simple	         109%
Bicubic(1/3,1/3) 103%
Bilinear	 100%
The percentage vary from source to source and Q used, but the relation is the same.

Please give DebugMode=10 and related a try. Maybe you can see the difference in using the various resizers. Me, at least, I am resizer blind and stick to Bilinear when it's about shrinking an image.

Cheers,
Old 6th October 2003, 03:44   #9  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

FACAR 1.06.6 is out

New features/fixes:

# v1.06.6
# - Added "real" ASOTV mode and set as default.
# - Fixed aspect ratio on 528x480 frame size, mistaken as 704-based in FitCD.
# - Simplified aspect ratio calculation on 544x480 frame size to make it more general.
# - Added corrected aspect ratio in preview mode (for NTSC only in this version).
# - Reorder parameter entry to most used on top for easier setup.

Get it at the usual places linked in the first post. See the Readme for more detail on the changes (also excerpted in the first post).
Old 6th October 2003, 05:34   #10  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

r6d2, I don't think it gets said enough. You are an absolute jewel of a forum member. The work you have done on improving Gert's semi-auto work with Facar has just made encoding in d2s even more of a pleasure. Facar is so easy, so well thought out, and works so well. That's nearly becoming a trademark of yours So, anyway, a very big and sincere thank you for all this work you do for us!
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2003, 20:07   #11  |  Link
kru

Thank you for a great tool!!!

I've been using GripFit for a long while to resize.
What's the differents between FACAR and Gripfit? Isn't GripFit exactly exact as FACAR???

And I'm litle bit qurius about the QFM script?
Should I only remove "#" to use it, and should I use it on every encode? (high/low bitrate)
kru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2003, 21:05   #12  |  Link
DDogg

The QMF script if more hypothetical than actually useful, but it is good fun to play around with. Perhaps if the motion parameters were lowered it would be more useful.

You certainly should try adding the indicator lines I put in one of these threads to visually show what motion band is being used. It is quite educational.

In practice, the pre and post filters are more practical. I guess what I am saying is if you actually *need* the QMF to achieve a compression target, you would be better off adding another disk for svcd or making more space available on a DVD because that level of compression normally effects video quality adversely. (r6d2 smiles)
Old 7th October 2003, 22:06   #13  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by kru
I've been using GripFit for a long while to resize.
What's the differents between FACAR and Gripfit?
GripFit does a good job too! (See my comments to Gerti67 on the subject on the original SemiAuto thread).

FACAR is not as automatic as GripFit because it still requires human intervention to validate autocrop's results. On the other side, GripFit may fail to find correct borders.

They both support any frame size, any resizer. FACAR is more flexible in a way, as it handles parameters in a more automated "default" way. FACAR uses overscan based cropping in a way it is independant of frame size. It also has some experiental features that are visually useful to choose resizers and frame size.

Regarding the "As seen on TV" feature, I'm not sure if they both behave alike. You might try them both and tell us.

/Add: I forgot the most important part: AFAIK, GripFit does not keep the aspect ratio on 704-based resolutions. You might check that too.

Last edited by r6d2; 7th October 2003 at 22:13.
Old 10th October 2003, 15:37   #14  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

tried out qmf last night.. although i changed the lancos line to simpleresize and the medium and high to bilinear. i tried deen("c3d", 1) for the medium and high for reduction but my test files actually came out bigger. so i went with the defaults. saves a few bits on a 1 cd encode. on my encode tonight where i'll have it set disks=auto, i'll put lanczos and bicubic back in (leave bilinear on the high motion).. for this im not looking to save bits.. just to make the bits i use count more (sharper lanczos frames on slow easy to see frames and bilinear/higher cleaning for high speed frames).. fun stuff

Last edited by Trahald; 10th October 2003 at 15:40.
Trahald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2003, 16:01   #15  |  Link
DDogg

w00kiee, I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you see any problems caused with the transitions from different resizing filters when you play on a standalone. I think I had a problem with it, but not for sure.
Old 11th October 2003, 01:22   #16  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

i watched the movie on my apex today .. looks fine.. no problems to report
Old 21st October 2003, 23:28   #17  |  Link
homerjay

@r6d2 and DDogg - i can remember seeing in another thread a post by jsquare re the qmf function and changes he made to alter the thresholds - i tried his modifications and managed to get a 115 minute film down onto 1cd at a very acceptable quality

was just wondering if this will be implemented

cheers for another excellent tool

hj
Old 22nd October 2003, 12:35   #18  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by homerjay
was just wondering if this will be implemented
But it is already... The QMF functions provided are a framework, a template. Feel free to customize them.

(Just remember the FACAR installer will overwrite your Pre/Post/QMF scripts, so have them backed up elsewhere.)
Old 22nd October 2003, 18:16   #19  |  Link
homerjay

yeah already got that covered - sorry couldnt have explained myself as well as i thought
what i was wondering is if you thought his settings were better in your testing ?
Old 22nd October 2003, 18:43   #20  |  Link
DDogg

I think homerjay was speaking of modifying the level of motion detection in QMF. The stock settings don't pick up hi-speed until the action is very intense.