Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th August 2003, 16:19   #1  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

New Matroska release bundle (Liisachan release)

Hi everyone,

As there is an article planned about our project in the German PC magazine 'CHIP' ( to come out beginning of September ) and we had to hand our software over to them today, 4th august, we take the opportunity to release all the software that was being developed for this release here :

This release makes a long list of additional features in matroska files possible, such as

- chapters
- matroska tags
- attachement files
- CRC32 EDC elements
- file splitting with indexing
- RV9 video in MKV ( Realmedia )
- RA audio in MKV ( RealAudio )
- SSA/ASS subtitles muxing into MKV files

The released tools/programs are :

1. libmatroska/libebml 0.5.0 : the latest basic libraries, necessary for programmers who are planning to support matroska in their tools, or for Linux users who want to compile latest mplayer from CVS against the very latest library version. They can be downloaded from the official download page, direct links are here and here

2. VirtualdubMod 1.5.4.1 : This version is not only fixing a couple of minor bugs, its also adding a couple of very important new features such as
- chapter writing support
- basic tagging support
- writing of CRC32 EDC elements
- editing of non VCM-codec video streams, such as RealVide 9 ( only CFR ) and 'native' MPEG4 ISO MKV files ( to come soon )
Get it from the usual project page

3. MKVtoolnix 0.6.0 : Compiled against latest library, Mosu's package offers the following new features :
- file splitting
- chapter file import and chapter writing
- RealVideo ( rv 10, 20, 30, 40 = RV9 ) and RealAudio muxing ( Cook, ATRAC, RALF, SIPRO, etc. )
- SSA subtitle muxing, only UTF8 ( no UTF16 yet )
- CRC32
Its for download at the usual MKVtoolnix homepage, including win32 binaries based on mingw .

4. New matroska playback pack for Windows : It does include
- Gabest' latest matroskasplitter filter, with chapter support via COM ( only certain player like MPC and TCMP RC4 will suupport that for now )
- CoreVorbis
- Timestamp manager from DaveEL ( for native MPEG4 ISO MKV files, to come soon )
- MatrixMixer filter
- Gabest' latest matroskamuxer filter, for file creation on DShow ( optional )
- Gabest' subtitle playback filter DVobSub 2.27 ( optional )
- Gabest' subtitle source filter, for SSA muxing ( optional )
- Gabest' Realmedia splitter/wrapper filters ( optional )
Get the latest version always from the official matroska download page on http://www.matroska.org

5. TCMP RC4 ( The Core Media Player ) with matroska CDL 1.3 :
The team around Blacksun and Toff have greatly improved the player in many details, highlights are
- a new media library
- many many bug fixes
- new skins
- new matroska CDL ( by jcsston ) with matroska tags reading/writing from the player
- new CDL API
- chapter support for matroska
etc.
Get it from the official homepage

6. MPC 6.4.5.9 : This player has found a lot of friends in very short time, it doesnt offer a lot of fancy stuff like various skins or the like, but is working rock solid and with a very good performance, as its coded in C++ . Latest version has improved Realmedia and matroska support, both with included parsers. Additional features to previous versions are
- chapter support in MKV
- RealVideo playback from MKV
- Subtitle syncing from the player
- Capturing into MKV ( from WDM drivers )
From the Guliverkli page

7. Matroska Shell extension v 1.3 : Jory 'jcsston' Stone created this great Windows tool, after installation it will tell you anything you want to know about your files, and even allow you to read/write all existing matroska tags, or to change the display size of a file. Get it here

8. mmg : A new developer and a new tool for the project, Florian 'SirElvis' Wagner created an excellent GUI for Mosu's mkvmerge win32 binaries, so that those users who dont like CLI programs too much can use it very comfortably. There are 2 versions of it, one with an installer that is including mkvtoolnix 0.6.0, and one without ( just the GUI ).

9. Gabest's RealMedia splitter filter : The wizzard programmer and well known author of 'VobSub' took the challenge and created a DirectShow Realmedia splitter filter, as well as some wrapper filter around the Real DLLs, so that playback of Realmedia Files on every DirectShow player is possible. This is the basis of a working 'Realmedia from MKV' playback, as before these filters existed it was impossible to call the REAL DLLs from any matroska parser/splitter filter. They need the 'RealOne' player to be installed on the same PC, as only then the DLLs will be existent to be called from the wrapper filters. Also from the Guliverkli page.

10. VirtualVCR_matroska : A modification to this well known DirectShow based capturing application, using matroskamuxer.ax to capture any content from a WDM capture card into MKV files. To be downloaded here.

11. VLC : the videolan guys have added matroska playback support to their great player, based on 0.4.4 version of the library, so it will play all matroska files fine, but not be able to use tags or chapters in the files. The player is available for Linux, Win32, MaxOSX and BeOS and can be obtained from the Videolan Homepage.

12. Gstreamer-Plugin : Ronald 'BBB' Bultje, the Gstreamer developer, has not only made a closed source implementation for the company he works for, so that they can capture video material into MKV files, but also created an opensource Gstreamer playback plugin, find it on http://www.gstreamer.net .

13. Dark-Cracker has made a DirectShow based muxing GUI for Gabest's matroskamuxer filter, its very convenient to handle and currently the easiest way to mux SSA or ASS subtitles into MKV files, until Mosu can add UTF 16 SSA compatibility to mkvmerge.

Other matroska releated news :

Matroska has now a feature list to be found here , the intention behind is to keep people informed about what we are actually working on, and what is to come next.

With this release there also a number of sample files to be released, which you can load soon from the samples page on http://matroska.free.fr/samples/index.html

Written with the help of ChristianHJW

Last edited by robUx4; 4th August 2003 at 23:01.
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 16:22   #2  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Oh, I forgot to mention we have an official bug report page (for libmatroska/libebml/mkxds/mkxtoolnix/Shell Extension/TCMP CDL/LemAPI) on CoreCodec.org.

http://corecodec.org/tracker/?atid=1...15&func=browse
Old 4th August 2003, 17:02   #3  |  Link
ssjkakaroto

that's great!
thx a lot matroska team and all the other devs helping it out!!

edit: can you guys pack msvcr71.dll with mmg? you can find it easily on google but i think most users won't like to search for dlls

Last edited by ssjkakaroto; 4th August 2003 at 17:22.
ssjkakaroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 17:24   #4  |  Link
Eric B

Thanks a lot for this release. I will test it soon...
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 17:27   #5  |  Link
JagPanzer
XviD and Matroska user :)

That's really, really GREAT! Thanks to all Matroska team.
I'd get a chance another time
And to return and live again
Reincarnate, play the game
Again and again and again

Iron Maiden - Infinite Dreams
JagPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 17:47   #6  |  Link
HomiE FR

Hats off to the Matroska team!
I'm gonna test everything right now. But I'm already convinced that this article in CHIP is only the first of a huge list in the next months.
HomiE FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 17:54   #7  |  Link
SirElvis

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjkakaroto
edit: can you guys pack msvcr71.dll with mmg? you can find it easily on google but i think most users won't like to search for dlls
It's included in the installer.

Also the correct download link for the latest version is http://corecodec.org/download.php/15...r_0.6.0-r3.exe.

Last edited by SirElvis; 4th August 2003 at 18:01.
SirElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 17:59   #8  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

wOOt

really nice - good work!!

a minor thing... mmg (installer/ plain gui) is r2_NOT_r3

cheers Sill
Old 4th August 2003, 18:19   #9  |  Link
MarkCoolio

@Matroska team:

thanks for all! Just one question: what is the reason for substituting your own matroska splitter with gabest's one? I just wonder because on matroska.org I saw a 0.50beta5 release of your own one and now TCMP comes bundled with Gabest's...

Nevertheless it works great... so... THANKS again! (although you could include version 1.0.1.5 as the most actual one..

@The Edge:

Will you make a new installer for Matroska too? With CoreAAC and ac3filter included? Really appreciated!

Markus
MarkCoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 18:33   #10  |  Link
DKDIB
Paradise searcher

There is a small bug in mmG release 2 (I can' t download release 3 ).
When I choose a radio button in "Meta seek" box the other one will not be deselected. This bug is only graphical related, infact there are no errors into Commandline box.

EDIT:
Screenshot erased.

Last edited by DKDIB; 6th August 2003 at 11:03.
DKDIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 18:35   #11  |  Link
ssjkakaroto

correct link for the mmg gui only
https://corecodec.org/download.php/14/mmg_0.6.0-r3.zip
Old 4th August 2003, 18:44   #12  |  Link
bond

goodie

let the testing begin!

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 19:17   #13  |  Link
ssjkakaroto

i got one small error with mkvmerge with this command line (created with mmg):

mkvmerge.exe --fourcc XVID --aspect-ratio 4/3 --split 58m --dont-link --meta-seek-size 15000 -o "D:\vobs\test\woohoo.mkv" --chapters "D:\vobs\test\chapters.txt" --cues 0:iframes --default-track 0 --language 0:eng -A -d 0 -S "D:\vobs\test\video.avi" --cues 0:none --default-track 0 --language 0:jpn -a 0 -D -S "D:\vobs\test\audioaac.aac" --cues 0:none --language 0:jpn --sync 0:-37 -a 0 -D -S "D:\vobs\test\audioAC3.AC3" --cues 0:none --language 0:eng -A -D -s 0 "D:\vobs\test\subs\subssrt.srt" --cues 0:none --default-track 0 --language 0:eng -A -D -s 0 "D:\vobs\test\subs\subsssa.ssa"

Writing cue entries (the index)...
off: 405071
Assertion failed: CheckMandatory(), file ../../src/EbmlMaster.cpp, line 128

abnormal program termination

this error doesnt happen if i remove the --chapters switch but the good thing is that the files work just fine

one question about file splitting, are Next UID and Last UID fields mandatory or can i leave them blank? cuz if i enable file linking and leave them blank only the first file works and all the others just freeze on the first frame but if i disable file linking all the other files work fine

tia
Old 4th August 2003, 20:28   #14  |  Link
HomiE FR

Here is something really interesting about attachements into Matroska files (taken from latest mkvmerge readme file):
Quote:
Maybe you also want to keep some photos along with your Matroska file, or you’re using SSA subtitles and need a special TrueType font that’s really rare. In these cases you can attach those files to the Matroska file. They will not be just appended to the file but embedded in it. A player can then show those files (the ’photos’ case) or use them to render the subtitles (the ’TrueType fonts’ case).
I'd really like to be able to attach TrueType fonts to Matroska files, and then be able to use "transparently" those fonts when reading the file, just like this part says.

However, I don't think any player can currently use those attachements (at least I tried MPC 6.4.5.9), which is quite sad.

1. If I read right, the Matroska team has done its job, and now the player developers (like gabest for instance ) have to use these attachements (for TrueType fonts copy the attachement into the \Windows\Fonts directory during playback) so that it works. Am I right here?

2. Would it be "hard" to do such a thing? (I'm no great coder)

Thanks in advance!
I'm looking forward to using attachements in Matroska, which seems better than the previous UUE (?) encoding used to embed fonts inside SSA/ASS scripts. At least it's easier.
HomiE FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 20:34   #15  |  Link
Latexxx

Quote:
Originally posted by HomiE FR

I'd really like to be able to attach TrueType fonts to Matroska files
That will definately cause copyright problems.
Latexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 20:47   #16  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkCoolio
@Matroska team:

thanks for all! Just one question: what is the reason for substituting your own matroska splitter with gabest's one? I just wonder because on matroska.org I saw a 0.50beta5 release of your own one and now TCMP comes bundled with Gabest's...
The official reason is that I suck at coding DirectShow... The real reason is that our filter is inferior to the one of Gabest as it is now. We support the same things but we have memory leaks and still some seeking problems. But there is a 0.5.0 version that was uploaded and removed accidently. The big advantage of mkxds will be (as of now) the support for CRC reading/checking (which already works).

Stay tuned.

edit: the latest MkxDs can be found in our download directory (both NT and W98 builds).

Last edited by robUx4; 4th August 2003 at 21:10.
Old 4th August 2003, 20:50   #17  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

For the font attached and the link to the Sub stream. Well it would be quite easy for a player to request this font (file) from the splitter/demuxer. But it's also the subs filter that has to request it to the player when a font is not installed. So almost all is in Gabest's hand which does the sub decoders and a player. We need to define a COM interface to request files and we're done.
Old 4th August 2003, 20:52   #18  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by ssjkakaroto
this error doesnt happen if i remove the --chapters switch but the good thing is that the files work just fine
Could you please send me that chapter file via email to moritz@bunkus.org? Thanks.

Quote:
one question about file splitting, are Next UID and Last UID fields mandatory or can i leave them blank? cuz if i enable file linking and leave them blank only the first file works and all the others just freeze on the first frame but if i disable file linking all the other files work fine
Read the mkvmerge documentation about file linking. At the moment no player supports them, and appearently the DShow guys aren't very good at supporting linked files anyway... So just leave them blank. They're definitely NOT mandatory.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 20:56   #19  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
That will definately cause copyright problems.
Only if you distribute fonts that are copyrighted. There are a lot of free high quality fonts as well. Not everything on this planet is owned by MS or Adobe.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2003, 21:02   #20  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

that's an amazing release. chears for the team work guys. nice work chris

VERY very nice. congrats.
avih is offline   Reply With Quote