Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th May 2003, 23:05   #1  |  Link
gabest

Alternative matroska splitter for directshow

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=82303

Since the specification of matroska is not finalized don't expect everything to be supported already. Loading and seeking is a little slow, but bearable.
Old 30th May 2003, 23:31   #2  |  Link
Gaia

Just tried it and i have to say your filter works a lot better than offical one, atleast in my system. Althought MPC 6.4.5.1(Win98 version) seems to crash always then i quit but that's just tiny problem.

I still have lots of strange problems with offical filter, maybe they are Win98 releated but this splitter rocks!

Great work Gabest

Little update, it's actually not crashing always. Just booted and problem is gone.

Last edited by Gaia; 30th May 2003 at 23:42.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2003, 23:46   #3  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Gabest rocks !!!

We still dont understand how he could write a Dshow parser that doesnt use libmatroska to read MKV files, and even in less then 3 days !! , but we hope to get a lot of inspiration from his filter.

I guess only programmers, and people who are in touch with development projects, like i am, can estimate what that really means. We have been writing/improving our basic I/O library since more than 18 weeks now, plus we had to invest a lot of time in the Dshow parser ( poor robux4 had to learn that from scratch ) and he is making a complete, self contained parser filter in 3 days .... LOL !!

Our problem is, we simply dont have the manpower to update 2 different things, the main library and the parser code in the filter. Every time we update the lib, we had to update the Dshow parser also. So, the only sensible solution for us is a DShow parser filter that will compile against the main library, so we really have no clue how to make use of Gabest' s code now ....
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 00:20   #4  |  Link
Koepi

Hell, great job gabest :-)

If you still feel the need for a challenge, can you add muxing support as well? If it's a bit like the OggDS filters, we (Melgish and I) could easily adopt OggMux to support matroska then as well. And it would still be a DSF application (which I'd like it to stay to be different somehow from the other tools meanwhile available. It's usually good to have 2 different possibilities to get something done - if one solution fails, the other could work.)

...but only if you feel like it - thanks for the DSF anyways! (...thinking about trying out matroska soon if the support gets further spread like this )

Best regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 04:06   #5  |  Link
Calculon

Nice one! Works better than the official one on my system as well(WinXP).
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 06:26   #6  |  Link
Animaniac

Incredible!

Seeking doesn't seem to work at all on WMP9.
But, the correct playing of MKV's with Vorbis more than makes up!

Thank you very much!
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 08:48   #7  |  Link
gabest

Animaniac: Seeking prob fixed in 1.0.0.1.

Koepi: Ok, the muxer should be even easier to make.
Old 31st May 2003, 10:48   #8  |  Link
el00343

way cool, gabest!
el00343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 12:12   #9  |  Link
Gooop

@ gabest
how many people are you ?...
thanks for your work, it works perfectly for me as well with winxp, mpc6451 and xvid/ogg files.
Gooop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 12:48   #10  |  Link
ssjkakaroto

thx a lot gabest!!
now with guliverkli will be a lot easier to get your updated stuff!!

edit:
just did a quick test with it using a xvid video+ogg audio and it plays smooth but two things happened:
1. ffdshow reports the FR as 25.00 fps eventhough the original avi is 23.98 fps
2. in WMP 6.4 everytime i try to seek the video is restarted, but you can notice that wmp can't "see" the whole file, the seek bar becomes white as the video plays just like you're watching a asf video from the internet, but even if i try to seek backwards the video restarts, i still have to try it with MPC
just one question, was it supposed to play subtitles (srt) yet or not?

tia

Last edited by ssjkakaroto; 31st May 2003 at 13:59.
ssjkakaroto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 13:22   #11  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

purrfect ! (quite )

i did some tests with the MatroskaSplitter 1.0.0.1:

one file: mkv, anime,
1420kbit/s Xvid (build 4.may i think) DVD resolution (720x576) with 3 consec. B-frames
192kbit/s lame mp3
muxed with VDmod, default audio interleave (after every frame)
playback off a network drive (fast IDE drive, 100mbit/s LAN)

the same content in a AVI does NOT play fully fluent on my comp
(K7 1.2, 512mb ram, radeon 7500, XP pro)

*TCMP 4.0rc3 - ignores "play" (i probably screwed up my installation, i can't imagine TCMP inherently refuses to play matroska)

*Quicktime 6 pro - "could not open ...mkv because it's not a file QuickTime understands", after 2 crashes :s

*BS player 0.86 build 494 - stutters about as much as AVI ("bearable"), seek time 2-4 sec (more for bigger jumps), skips occur on longer panning sequences but not on hi motion scenes

*WMP 8.0 (the one delivered with XP pro, never updated) - few skips on pan, less than BS player or with AVI file, but more than MPC or ZP. seek time bigger than MPC but less than 1 sec (about the same as ZP)

*ZoomPlayer 3.00 standard - does not stutter but slow down and resync after ca 3 sec, occurs only on the few most extreme panning scenes, seek time bigger than with MPC, but less than 1 sec.

*MPC 6.4.5.2 - purrfect , seek time < 1 sec independent of distance , the little stuttering left is probably "hard coded" into the encoding already (hard to notice, by far most fluent of all)

Thanks a lot Gabest .
I thought for some time now to stop encoding to avi but was hesistating because the playback always gave me problems - you made the step i was waiting for (beating AVI ) - if the results for CD playback are analogue i have had my last AVI encode
Old 31st May 2003, 13:50   #12  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

did the CD test : same file off a local sony DVD rom

*BS player performs better than over LAN (less stutter, about same seek time)
*WMP has heavy audio stutter in the critical scenes and seek time is up to 4 sec for seeking back from end to beginning
*Zoom Player - couldnt find a difference to LAN/hd playback. thus fastest seek on CD
*MPC performs a little worse on CD - seek time has increased, mainly for far backward jumps now up to 3-4 sec, playback a tiny few less fluent than over LAN

summary :
over LAN: MPC by far best
off CD : BS player, ZP and MPC could be said equal performance

(PS)
all tests in fullscreen mode (1280x1024 32bpp 75fps TFT)
Xvid decoder: koepi 14.may, no postprocessing
*(the encode codec was 3.may, not 4.may)
Old 31st May 2003, 14:38   #13  |  Link
HughMagoo

nice!

playing a mkv with xvid, ac3, and two ogg tracks in zoomplayer 3.10RC1. I thought matroska was a little young for multiple audio streams, but using the "audio track" function in zoom, I can easily switch between the three tracks. (edit) oh, didn't notice with this short sample file that the video does indeed restart when changing audio tracks.. oops

thanks.

bring on the bells and whistles! (chapters, menus, etc)

Last edited by HughMagoo; 31st May 2003 at 15:22.
HughMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 15:03   #14  |  Link
DAvenger
hacked

Good one, Gabest

Spyware, malware a vírusy : http://www.antispyware.sk

Hudba, texty, akordy, noty, albumy, mp3 a videoklipy : http://www.musicworld.sk
DAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 16:24   #15  |  Link
filewalker

Thanks gabest for your great DSF!

Quote:
Originally posted by HughMagoo
(edit) oh, didn't notice with this short sample file that the video does indeed restart when changing audio tracks.. oops
I also noticed this behaviour in ZoomplayerPro when i switched the Ogg Audio streams...But with latest MPC it works best at the moment...without a new starting of the movie.

...again, really great work!

Cu filewalker
filewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 17:52   #16  |  Link
gabest

Gooop: I'm exactly 1 person

ssjkakaroto: I'll have to debug wmp6 to find out why it is jumping back, but it really does... The fps is not passed in the media type yet because in the test files I used to test this info was missing, but it doesn't have to much importance, the timestamps should keep the playback in sync. Subtitles will get new media types, now only test/ascii is outputted because currently no filter would recognize utf8 or some other format.

unmei: Thanks for the tests! About seeking times and stuttering I have no idea why they are that much different... But I know that I managed to save mkvs with vdubmod which had way too many unneeded cue points and those can slow down the opening of the file and the searching of the right keyframe for seeking.

HughMagoo: I think zoom restarts from the beginning after an audio stream switch because it stops the graph to switch the filters and that resets the internal time position of the splitter. Blight could fix it by pausing and seeking back to the last position befor restarting the playback.
Old 31st May 2003, 19:40   #17  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by gabest Koepi: Ok, the muxer should be even easier to make.
!

Gabest, how do you plan to find out where the video/audio frame boundaries are ? Dont forget, in MKV :

one frame = one block

if lacing is not used, that way we ensure the files can be edited without codec.

We had plans to introduce a so-called 'DShow compatibility mode' also, in addition to the 'VfW compatibility mode' when transmuxing stuff from AVI, but our Linux peeps protested against that, so we abandoned the idea.

In any case, you are more than invited to talk to us on IRC about this muxer filter, and how you would like to make it, there can be no doubt that if there is any person who can do it, its you ....
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2003, 19:58   #18  |  Link
Kyo
Anime Team!

I know the trick, you really live in a country with 30h/day

No enought words to thank you!!! great work Gabest
Old 1st June 2003, 01:31   #19  |  Link
faxmactor

Awesome! Actiually, the Matroska DS filter, created by its core developers did not worked since 0.4 on my system (Win98 SE Hungarian), This is the best so far!

Köszi Gabest
faxmactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2003, 04:16   #20  |  Link
Kyo
Anime Team!

Bug report (I think )

Whe I use your player/DSF splitter the splitter not work with AAC audio(no-audio) like the matroska-group one(pass the audio to a decoder like the one packed with 3ivx), it's me or problem with the splitter?

/MPC report/
Code:
Stream 1

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: FOURCC GUID {000000FF-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 384000