Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 16th April 2003, 19:25   #1  |  Link
bilu

R4R_ENC - Batch tool to use XVID,AVS2AVI and OGGMuxer inside Robot4Rip

The Readme file:

R4R_ENC - Batch tool to use XVID,AVS2AVI and OGGMuxer within Robot4Rip
======================================================================
by Bilu. April 16, 2003. My first tool and Readme

Usage: r4r_enc 0.65 video.d2v audio.ogg

where 0.65 is compressibility.

Compressibility is the parameter, it wasn't made with 2-CD fitting in mind. I hope this bring inspiration to someone, it works for me ( now encoding by just clicking Start on R4R !!! ) but may not work for you.

Syntax used on the batch file exists on XP and may exist fully in W2K, I don't know.
It doesn't work with previous versions of Windows.

Uses a nice command line search-n-replace utility called Switch to make some changes on Vobsub's .idx files.
(download from http://ped.deadartists.com/switch.zip)

To use you must first replace

set PLUGINDIR=D:\avs25\plugins
set ENCODES=D:\avs25\tests
set R4R_ENC=D:\avs25\r4r_enc
set AVS2AVI=D:\avs25\progs\avs2avi
set OGGMUXER=D:\avs25\progs\OGMuxer

with your own folders.

Features:

Permanent subtitles
=============
- corrects small bug in Vobsub batch ripping
(http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51019)

- automatically adjusts vertical offset based on resolution on .idx file

AVS Scripting
=============

- automatically generates AVS script with AutoCrop, AutoResize (512 width respecting AR), AutoDeinterlace (explained later on this file) and permanent subtitles in the language you chose on R4R (assuming you choose only one)

- automatically generates another AVS script that grabs the 1st pass size, makes compressibility calculations and generates the 2 pass size in hexadecimal to be exported to XVID registry settings
(Hex function credits go to WarpEnterprises, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50862)

XVID Encoding
=============
- changes encoding settings (1st-pass,2nd-pass,null,2nd pass size) in registry
- AVS2AVI encoding with settings in registry

OGM Muxing
==========
- uses OGGMuxer to create OGM files, and splits (I think OGGMuxer can split on the keyframe, unlike Oggmux)

TO DO
=====
- use chapter info in OGM

AutoDeinterlace
===============

Tested on first chapters (haven't yet made a full rip) of:

- Monty Python's "And Now For Something Completely Different" (NTSC telecined)
- Gladiator (progressive PAL)
- Matrix (interlaced PAL)
- The Abyss (interlace PAL)

and it worked well. I'm no Decomb expert, I mostly use progressive PAL.
But I would like to see feedback on this on the forum

It's like this:

function AutoIVTC(clip c){
IVTC= (c.framerate > 25)? "Decimate(Telecide(c),cycle=5)":"Telecide(c)"
return eval(IVTC)
}

AutoIVTC()

Credits and copyrights of the valuable tools used belong to their respective developers/owners.

I hope this batch or at least some code can serve you well

Best regards,
Bilu

Last edited by bilu; 17th April 2003 at 19:07.
bilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 13:47   #2  |  Link
bilu

Hi,

I deleted the first attachment and uploaded a new one on this post.

This version also deletes (after OGM muxing) the Project and Rips folders made by R4R to allow job queueing without filling too much your HD.

(attach waiting for approval)

This post also gives you a small idea of what was done:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50862

OGGMuxer - http://cyrius.bunkus.org/tools.html

AVS2AVI - http://daveel.leffe.dnsalias.com/avs2avi.zip

[EDIT]
Download: http://pagpessoais.iol.pt/bruno_henriques/r4r_enc.zip

Hope to get some feedback soon
[/EDIT]

Best regards,

Bilu

Last edited by bilu; 19th April 2003 at 10:45.
Old 19th April 2003, 14:53   #3  |  Link
SithUK

I downloaded all the secondary files and set the proper command paths in the batch file. How exactly do I get R4R to interface with your batch file?

Your installation instructions (or rather complete lack of) are probably why there are no replies :-)

Sith
SithUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 18:33   #4  |  Link
bilu

@SithUK

Quoting myself: "My first tool and Readme"

That's why I need replies to know what is missing.
I'll do a nice installation file on the next days.

About the R4R integration: on R4R, right-click on "Finalize" and fill the "Custom Command" with

D:\avs25\r4r_enc\r4r_enc.bat 0.65 %d2vfile% %audiolist%

Replace D:\avs25\r4r_enc with your path.

@all

My AutoIVTC still needs some work. I'm trying to rip a BBC humor series called "The Fawlty Towers" which is a real pain . If you search for Fawlty Towers here on the forum you'll see others complaining too. The best method I've used so far was

Bob()
SelectEven()

I'll try to find if this is better than Telecide on other PAL interlaced movies.

I'm starting to learn what means interlaced problems and why it affects anime lovers so much: in anime EVERY edge counts.

Still everybody can just cut in half my batch file and make just AVS automatic generation to tweak out later

C'mon guys! More feedback please!

Best regards,
Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 01:34   #5  |  Link
TaZ4hvn
TaZit author, XviD addict

Well, it does work !!
I may be the only one patient enough to manage it to work thou, mainly because of the lack of docs ...
Well after a couple of hours reading the files, I had all the filters necessary and mofified it to suit my needs.
With r4r it does a complete, stable, and working robot: congrats
Could you please modify it to target a specified filesize rather than a compresibility ?
Should be easy enought to get the desired size from command line with a -s option perhaps, like: D:\avs25\r4r_enc\r4r_enc.bat -s 700M %d2vfile% %audiolist%, and then calculate the video file size as beeing "desired minus audio" ?
TaZ4hvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2003, 12:00   #6  |  Link
bilu

@all

Two bugfixes and a note for the morning, I'll try to release a new and documented version today:

NOTE: You must disable manually the "Discard 1st pass" option on the codec in order to get the 1st pass size and make calculations.

Bugfix 1
========
Replace "reg import %r4r_enc%\2ndpass.reg" with "reg import %ENCDIR%\2ndpass.reg". It wasn't using the calculated filesize, just setting 2nd pass.

Bugfix 2
========
Replace in avs1_a.txt
Code:
IVTC= (c.framerate > 25)? "Decimate(Telecide(c),cycle=5)":"Telecide(c)"
return eval(IVTC)
}
with
Code:
IVTC= (c.framerate > 25)? "Decimate(Telecide(c),cycle=5)":"SelectEven(Bob(c))"
return eval(IVTC)
}
It seems to work better and faster than Telecide on PAL interlaced, doesn't seem to harm any kind of PAL movie with exception of a little shimmering mainly on static details, like the text intro of Gladiator.

But it did a wonderful job cleaning the blended fields on "Fawlty Towers"!

Blended fields were killing the codec's motion estimation on panning scenes, and the little shimmering (just on a very few frames) is a secondary effect much easier to handle with, both for encoding and watching the final work.

I'll try it on some more movies
but I think this may be the best generic AutoIVTC function, and feedback is allways welcome.

How R4R_ENC works:
==================

1) Parse variables;

2) Parse Vobsub's IDX files and modify vertical offset and language to the batch ripped one (offset 30 on PAL, 0 for NTSC);

3) Generates an AVS script with AutoCrop, permanent subtitles (it's the only automatic way to split and stay in synch that I know of) and AutoIVTC (as described above);

4) Generates a second AVS script that grabs the 1st pass size, makes compressibility calculations and generates the 2 pass size in hexadecimal to be exported to XVID registry settings. It runs the script with a BlankClip encoded with AVS2AVI in XVID null mode, since it exists only for calculations;

5) Sets XVID modes and desired size on 2nd pass in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\XviD] like this:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\XviD]
"mode"=dword:00000005 --> 2nd pass Internal
"desired_size"=dword:0000094a --> 2378 KB

6) Encodes using
avs2avi.exe test.avs test.avi -p 0 -c xvid

-c <4cc> : Use codec having <4cc> with default settings
-p 0 is priority idle.

Default scripts - change to your preference
===========================================
Variables were replace with sample folders/values for better reading.

1st script

Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\AutoCrop.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\avsmon25a.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\Decomb.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\VSFilter.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\Deen.dll")
Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\TemporalCleaner.dll")

IVTC= (c.framerate > 25)? "Decimate(Telecide(c),cycle=5)":"SelectEven(Bob(c))"
return eval(IVTC)
}

function ResizeARW(clip c,int nwtemp,string resizefn) {
nhtemp=floor((c.height * nwtemp)/c.width)
nh=nhtemp - nhtemp%16
nw=nwtemp - nwtemp%16
return eval(resizefn+"(c,"+string(nw)+","+string(nh)+")")
}

mpeg2source("c:\movie\movie.d2v",idct=2,cpu=0)

AutoIVTC()

Autocrop(mode=0,wMultOf=16,hMultOf=16,threshold=20)

vobsub("c:\movie\movie")

TemporalCleaner (ythresh=5, cthresh=5)
ResizeARW(512,"LanczosResize")
deen("a3d",1,10,12)
LumaFilter(17,1.1)
Limiter()
MonitorFilter()

2nd script

Loadplugin("d:\avs25\plugins\CALL_25.dll")

function Hex(int n) {
v="0123456789ABCDEF"
tmp=midstr(v, 1+n%16,1)
n=n/16
tmp=midstr(v, 1+n%16,1) + tmp
n=n/16
n=n/16
n=n/16
n=n/16
n=n/16
n=n/16
return tmp
}

Import("d:\avs25\encodes\size.avs")
Newsize=floor((size/1024.)*0.65)
Newhex=Hex(newsize)

Call(BlankClip,"d:\avs25\plugins\Nicexe d:\avs25\encodes\2ndpass.siz "+newhex, "1")

Best regards,
Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 12:30   #7  |  Link
bilu

Quote:
Originally posted by TaZ4hvn
Well, it does work !!
I may be the only one patient enough to manage it to work thou, mainly because of the lack of docs ...
Well after a couple of hours reading the files, I had all the filters necessary and mofified it to suit my needs.
With r4r it does a complete, stable, and working robot: congrats
Could you please modify it to target a specified filesize rather than a compresibility ?
Should be easy enought to get the desired size from command line with a -s option perhaps, like: D:\avs25\r4r_enc\r4r_enc.bat -s 700M %d2vfile% %audiolist%, and then calculate the video file size as beeing "desired minus audio" ?
About docs, do you think the information in the post above is enough? What do you feel that is missing?

About the filesize issue: I don't think it is possible to change the custom command on R4R for each job, if someone intended to use it that way. But I'm thinking about

- parsing the AVS2AVI info on a 10 frame encode to get the clip's total time ("Fawlty Towers" are approximately 30 minute episodes, I want each on half CD);

- do a compressibility check to get the final size

- lower resolution and extra denoising (deen("a3d",2,10,12)) if needed. I won't replace Lanczos with anything

- do another compressibility check

- if it gets near 50% compressibility at least then do a 1st pass and then second

The best setting wouldn't be a filesize, but an average bitrate.
But I'll try to have the compressibily mode still available for those who want it

I also thought about using a command line stats reader if it were available (didn't check) to spare the HD from the 1st pass. But then again the old method may be more reliable

Best regards,
Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 14:34   #8  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

First of all thanks again for your work.
Yes, additional information is welcome, as long as I seem to be the only one testing it and it works for me, docs is well enough

I found a couple a bugs, I think:
- "echo Newhex=Hex(newsize) >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs
echo. >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs
echo Call(BlankClip,"%PLUGINDIR%\NicEcho.exe %ENCDIR%\2ndpass.siz "+newhex, "1") >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs"

Should be changed by

"echo Newhex=Hex(Newsize) >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs
echo. >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs
echo Call(BlankClip,"%PLUGINDIR%\NicEcho.exe %ENCDIR%\2ndpass.siz "+Newhex, "1") >> %ENCDIR%\compcalc.avs"

looks like vars are case sensitive...

- In line:
"%OGGMUXER%\OGMuxer.exe -f --split 640M -v -o %ENCDIR%\%OGMFILE% %ENCDIR%\%AVIFILE% %OGGFILE%"
I had to remove the "-v" for it to work, don't even know what it was intended for as I wasn't able to find documentation about it ?

A piece of advice for other users:
If, like me, you don't want subs support just give a wrong path in "set SWITCH=D:\avs25\progs\switch" and everything goes right, else you'll get a verbose output from SWITCH wich interrupt the process and so break the point of the batch !

And now about the wishes:
- you're certainly aware most of people out there doesn't want to encode regarding compressibility but final size, just to get it to fit on a CDR, so you really should implement such a fonction.
It does seem a lot easier to implement than the compressibility check you did, even if you can't get the argument in the commandline we can always change it in the script.
Actually I almost succeed doing it, when you know how I do suck in batch coding is a performance!
I can input size via commandline, I can get the size from the audio file, but I don't know how to do a minus operation !! (you see I suck )
If you have a clue for me ...
- cropping is not satisfactory enough to me: I'd like a smart cropping like GKnot does, ie autocrop then crop left/right to respect the AR.
- about compressibility VS file size, I think the best of the two worlds would be, ask for compressibility, ask for final size and then make a resolution decision to fit the desired size with the desired compressibility ... oups, looks difficult enough

Regards

Last edited by TaZ4hvn; 21st April 2003 at 14:38.
Old 21st April 2003, 15:10   #9  |  Link
bilu

@TaZ4hvn

1) Case-sensitive variables? Shouldn't be
From http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=ScriptGrammar

"Avisynth ignores case: aViSouRCe is just as good as AVISource." I'm using the last AVS 2.5.1 from CVS (check Sh0dan's sig) and haven't had any problems before.

2) About OggMuxer's -v switch: I'm using v1.1a5 (09-03-2003)

-v/--video "truncate" other streams when video ends\n

3) To disable subs: replace
echo vobsub("%SUBFILE%") with echo #vobsub("%SUBFILE%"). This way it doesn't give error messages while still adapting subs if you intend to use them with DirectVobSub.

4) About filesize calculations: change or create a new version of the compcalc script. It's the best way for math calculations.

5) Cropping: from the Autocrop Readme, don't know if it is what you want:

aspect - Float - default 0 - Aspect is ignored

-1 - Maintain aspect ratio of the source clip
0 - Aspect is ignored
>0 - Aspect ratio will be set to this. For example for a 4:3 aspect ratio you would pass
4.0/3.0 or 1.33333333333. Note 4/3 won't work the .0 is need to tell AVISynth the value is
a float.

6) Quoting you:" about compressibility VS file size, I think the best of the two worlds would be, ask for compressibility, ask for final size and then make a resolution decision to fit the desired size with the desired compressibility "

If I ask for filesize instead of using parameters it wouldn't be completely automated

My idea is something like this: defining a minimum compressibility and an average bitrate. This way I can assure that a 30 minutes episode and a 90 minutes movie get the same treatment without user intervention. What do you think?

Best regards,
Bilu

Last edited by bilu; 21st April 2003 at 15:16.
Old 21st April 2003, 15:22   #10  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

1) That's what I though too Perhaps it isn't true for vars, or more probably I changed something else I don't remember

2) Didn't see it ! Strange it doens't work for me, but not a big point.

3) That's to disable sub if you ripped them off the DVD, but else SWITCH is claiming for its .idx files, that's why I simply ommited its path.

4) LOL, that's exactly what I was doing when I got your answer

5) That's what I read but doesn't interest me that much since -1 would lead to keep 720:576 and >0 neither since I can't predict the AR after cropping.

6) When I say ask, I mean trough the command line !! I'm dumb for sure, but not on this
Old 21st April 2003, 15:28   #11  |  Link
bilu

Quote:
When I say ask, I mean trough the command line !! I'm dumb for sure, but not on this
When I meant no user intervention I was thinking about queueing jobs, and not be asked in the middle of the night for a filesize

Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 15:32   #12  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

ok, ok, let's clarify it !
I'm mainly doing 1CD XCD rips, so that the only filesize I want is 800Mo (except for rare 2 Cds of course) so that I won't have to change it ...
So that I would fill r4r with something like:
D:\avs25\r4r_enc\r4r_enc.bat 800M %d2vfile% %audiolist%
One time for all
Old 21st April 2003, 16:15   #13  |  Link
bilu

Hmmm... I think I've understood now.

Maybe the best is to specify as parameters:

- 1 CD size
- 2 CD size
- minimal resolution ( resolution value would be width*height to deal with different ARs)
- minimal compressibility

If we couldn't achieve 1 CD size with minimal compressibility and minimal resolution we would aim for 2 CD size. Would this fit your needs?

Bilu

Last edited by bilu; 21st April 2003 at 17:07.
Old 21st April 2003, 16:24   #14  |  Link
bilu

Quote:

5) That's what I read but doesn't interest me that much since -1 would lead to keep 720:576 and >0 neither since I can't predict the AR after cropping.
How about autocropping twice? After first crop you would get ratio.
It may be possible to compare that ratio with different profiles (1.3333, 1.7777, 2.35),choose the nearest one, and then crop again with the aspect switch.

Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 17:40   #15  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

Well, you got it perfectly this time
This behavior would perfectly suit my need!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bilu
How about autocropping twice? After first crop you would get ratio.
It may be possible to compare that ratio with different profiles (1.3333, 1.7777, 2.35),choose the nearest one, and then crop again with the aspect switch.
Bilu
That's exactly what I'm aiming to.
Actually I used the Aspect=1.611 option of AutoResize as you kindly suggest to suit PAL anamorphic 2.35:1 movies (90% of my encodes)
And by this I get a perfect aspect ratio very close to the one GKnot predict, that's great
Now I'm doing the same for 1.33 1.77 1.85 ...

The profile idea is great but, the problem is some formats are very close once cropped: for instance 1.33 non anamorphic and 1.85 anamorphic once cropped both give near 1.33 ...

Last edited by TaZ4hvn; 21st April 2003 at 17:46.
Old 21st April 2003, 18:00   #16  |  Link
bilu

Quote:
The profile idea is great but, the problem is some formats are very close once cropped: for instance 1.33 non anamorphic and 1.85 anamorphic once cropped both give near 1.33 ...
I never felt this problem because I choose between Zoom Player's AR profiles. Do you have a reason for not doing the same?

Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 18:04   #17  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

Quote:
Originally posted by bilu
I never felt this problem because I choose between Zoom Player's AR profiles. Do you have a reason for not doing the same?
Bilu
Well, no big thing, I don't use ZP has I dislike it
Old 21st April 2003, 18:23   #18  |  Link
bilu

It seems to me that we cannot do better cropping automatically, is as good as it gets Maybe you can find another nice player that supports AR profiles.

About compressibility and size parameters: I was thinking about using different weights on the "number of CDs" decision.

Some people may have less problem going for a 2-CD encode instead of 1-CD than going to a 3-CD encoding instead of 2-CD. What do you think?

Bilu
Old 21st April 2003, 18:46   #19  |  Link
TaZ4hvn

That's a good idea
How I see things, you have to make a kind a decision algorithm to set:
- Number of CD
- Resolution
- Resizefilter (if you can stand dropping Lanczos )

Parameters should be:
- Targeted pix/frames (better than resolution, as you can't predict AR)
- Compressibility
you can add preference weighs for number of CDs too.

Ok that's the idea but not the algo I'm trying to determine how decision should be make ...
Old 21st April 2003, 19:02   #20  |  Link
bilu

I'll try to look at it today (even before doing docs )

I already made a pix/frames resize function @home, I'll post it when I get there. Syntax is ResizeARP(150,"LanczosResize") where 150 means resolutions around 150000 pixels.

I made a sample test with "Fawlty Towers" (ratio=1.22222) with this ResizeARP(150,"LanczosResize") and it resizes to 416x336. Tried Bicubic and Bilinear on the same resolution and it looks too soft and washed Also tried in some dark scenes on the first chapter of Matrix and Lanczos beats the hell out of Bicubic.

I'm encoding with the last uManiac build with these settings:

H.263, Chroma Motion, B-frames 3/150/100, the rest is default.

I love H.263 + Lanczos

Bilu