Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 17th January 2003, 22:28   #1  |  Link
Eldorado

My SVCD->DVD Guide

I've seen so many people asking how to do this, I've helped as many as I can doing it the way I have learned. Everything that I have learned I found from these forums and have put it all together.

First I'll start by saying that this is not the fastest way to convert SVCD->DVD. I do my conversions making sure that it is 100% DVD compliant, no fooling the authoring programs into accepting 480x480 video files, as these will still fail on those DVD players that won't play SVCD's. The main purpose of this guide is to take that 480x480 video, convert it to DVD standard resolutions, which in my case is NTSC 720x480. And also you will almost always have to re-encode the audio as SVCD's generally come with 44.1khz sound, and in MP2 format. We need 48khz and AC3 format for the DVD.

If anyone has better/quicker ways of doing any of these steps, please reply!

- Extract the your MPEG files to a directory, it's usually named AVSEQ01.MPG. If this is a multi disc movie, I name the file accordingly eg. disc 2 -> AVSEQ02.MPG etc. So that each file is numbered according to which disc it came from.

- Load up DVD2AVI, goto File->Open, select the first AVSEQ01 file, hit ok. If you have mutliple files you will then see them all listed in the File List box. Hit Ok again

- Check all your settings, if this is an NTSC video I goto Video->Field Operation->Forced Film, If PAL I set to NONE. Also goto Audio->Track Number->Track #1, then go to Audio->Channel Format->Auto

- Hit File->Save Project. Pick a directory and filename. Hit OK. DVD2AVI will now start processing the MPG files, and the best part about this it joins all parts together, creating one big .MP2 file and a .D2V file. Give it a few minutes

- I then create a AVS script that I feed into CCE to re-encode the video to be a DVD compliant resolution, in my case I want 720x480. Below is the script I use, you'll notice it uses BicubicResize as I was told it was the best method to use, also it encodes it to be 720x640, and then crops 80 from both sides to cut it down to desired res of 720x480. I got this tip from the Avisynth forum, this exact script was actually posted there. It's done like this to make your video true wide screen, assuming the original was supposed to be widescreen. If full screen, instead make the parameter: BicubicResize(720,480) and remove the crop line. The exact technical details on why and how this works I don't know, you would have to ask the experts

Avisynth Script, plop this into notepad, edit filenames and paths to match your own, save it, give it a name with extention of .AVS:

LoadPluggin("d:\mpeg2dec.dll")
mpeg2source("d:\movie.d2v")
BicubicResize(720,640)
crop(0,80,720,480)
ResampleAudio(44100)

- This part you can do based on your own preferences. Using CCE, I prefer doing a Single Pass VBR encode, followed by 3 Pass Multi VBR encode. I know this might be all useless and sound like a waste of time doing this many passes on an already heavily encoded video, but I like to do it anyways, it can't hurt can it? And if you have the time to spare...

Load up CCE (why would you use anything else??), load the .AVS file you just created. I won't give a tutorial on how to use CCE, there's already a very good one here! I do a 4 pass encode, first a Single Pass VBR, where I set the Minimum Bitrate to 0, Maximum to 9,800. Under Video settings I check these options: DVD Compliant, Zigzag Scanning order, Linear quantizer scale, Progressive Frames, Add sequence end code. Everything else I do as stated in the CCE guide. Read that to fill in the rest of the settings.

Hit Encode and do the One Pass VBR encode. When it's done, check Multi Pass VBR, hit the advanced button, again follow the CCE guide for this. Adjust the Average bitrate until you have an acceptable filesize, don't bother with checking for the "grey spots". Note that setting the bitrate extremely high does nothing but make your filesize bigger, setting it any higher than what the SVCD was encoded at will gain you nothing in video quality. I then do a 3 Pass VBR encode.

- When it's done encoding, you should have a nice MPV file, use pulldown on it to patch the header to adjust the frame rate eg. PULLDOWN MOVIE.MPV MOVIE.M2V

Now the video is all done, take a look at it, make sure it meets your needs. Whenever I've done this the quality has never been any different than the SVCD. Assuming you have a good source, you should have good results.

The next part is the audio. You need 48khz AC3 audio, I was told you could possibly use audio in other formats as long as it is 48khz, but I then also read that some players might not play non-AC3 audio. In such cases as where people are using Optical Outs on their DVD players for the audio, non-AC3 audio might not get fed thru this line (?), maybe someone can add some technical insight into this. Anyways, this again is more my preference to make it AC3.

There are probably a dozen ways to do this, one would be in one quick step with Besweet, but for some reason I have never been able to produce a valid AC3 file that Scenarist would accept. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But do it whichever way you like best to convert 44.1khz MP2 -> 48khz AC3

Here's my rather long steps:

- Load the MP2 file up in Winamp. Select Preferances, Output, select Disk Writer. Hit the Configure button, select filename and directory for output. Check the Convert to Format box, and select PCM 48.000 kHz 16bit, Stereo. Hit ok, then hit Play. Winamp will very quickly play the audio file, you won't hear nothing. When it's finished you will have a .WAV file produced with 48kHz.

- I use Scenarists AC3 Encoder to do this next step, almost any AC3 encoder will do the job. Load up the wav file you just created, make sure you have it set to be 2ch Interleaved (at least this option exists in Scenarist). Encode and in a little while you'll have your AC3 file.

Next just use your favorite program to author your files that you just created. Since there's lots of good guides here on how to do it, I won't get into that either. Eventually you will have a perfect DVD compliant movie! And I have never run into any sync problems with this method! Movie and audio come out pretty much with the exact same quality as the SVCD, only difference is it's now DVD compliant!

Just as a disclaimer, these steps have worked best for me. It's really not too difficult, but will take a little bit of time. And as mentioned you can do these steps many different ways, whichever suits you best! To make things even more fun, I recently took an SVCD, re-encoded the video as above, then took an Xvid release of the same movie, ripped the AC3 audio from it, and successfully authored the two together with no sync issues!

Please post any feedback!
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2003, 20:42   #2  |  Link
jaquestati

is it worth it?

this is one of the MAIN things i wanted a burner for all the tv i get in svcd format and take forever to burn as seperate cd's.... the dvd was the holy grail in time saving..... 15 minutes for like 6 svcds with one drag and drop...

only to discover that dvd players dont for the most part see a dvd burned with svcd directory and files on it as a svcd

i for one appreciate all the time you and other have spent figureing all this out and posting guides and info but its just too much of a hassle.....

if ya want my opinion just get a 50 dollar dvd player that plays raw mpeg and burn the svcd mpegs onto an iso dvd
jaquestati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2003, 21:37   #3  |  Link
Eldorado

Yep it's quite a hassle!

My main reason for doing it was to let friends watch movies that I only had in SVCD format, and lucky them their players didn't support SVCD! So nice guy me agrees to re-do it for them, two movies per disc and a nice menu, also made a small profit off them for my time
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2003, 18:20   #4  |  Link
klark_kent

I, too, have struggled with svcd to dvd and have found an easy and quick way, not too much hassle.

1. Copy mpg files from cdr to computer
2. quick pass them through vcdgear to fix mpg errors
3. Load mpg file into TMPGenc and change settings to:
re-encode to 720 x 480.
4:3 interlaced (most likely)
change bitrate to CONSTANT
pick a bitrate you like, say 4000
Hit AUDIO tab and change from 44K to 48,000.
4. let her rip.
5. do the same thing to disk 2 and 3
6. Knit the reencoded files back together under TMPGenc's mpeg tools
multiplex (pick mpeg2 supervcd template).
7. Do a simple demultiplex to extract the video (m2v) and audio
(change audio file extention from mp2 to mpa)
8. Load into an authoring program and boogie!

Note: if you skip step 2, TMPGenc may reject the file. Also, TMPGenc gives much less hassle combinging files with the same bitrate, hence the CONSTANT bitrate
klark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2003, 03:10   #5  |  Link
SVCD4Me

Thanks Eldorado. I was having a hell of a time trying to make an AC3 using BeSweet that would play on my dvd player. Scenarist accepts it though. Good to see that its not just me.
SVCD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2003, 01:38   #6  |  Link
SVCD4Me

Here's a tip.

You can drag and drop a WAV into the Data Editor and it automatically converts it to the required AC3.

I'm using Scenarist Pro 2.6.0.0218
SVCD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote