Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 31st July 2002, 07:51   #41  |  Link
WarpEnterprises
C64

Unfilter is exactly made for that purpose.
But use it only if the picture looks unsharp, because by sharpening unnecessarily you need more bitrate afterwards.
WarpEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2002, 13:07   #42  |  Link
iago
retired

Up! UnFilter back into the scene!

@Tom,

Recently I've been experimenting using UnFilter with both (+,+) and (-,-) settings in various DVD test rips. I have a few questions I'm still looking the answers for and I'd be very glad if I get some reply directly from the author of this great filter .

If you remember the "lumi-masking" thread in the XviD forum, it was discussed that using UnFilter (somehow ) "helped" solving the black-blocking issue. I guess this may be due to some darkening effect introduced by UnFilter with both + and - settings. Can you confirm/reproduce such a darkening effect introduced by UnFilter?

Also, the issue of vertical bars with even some light settings such as UnFilter(5,5) seem to be more or less but consistently appearing in almost all my encodes with many different sources. Is it a bug or actually related to the sharpness/EE of the source?

Finally, I get some thin light lines at all four sides of the image when using UnFilter, seeming to be regardless of the resizing method and resizing parameters I use. Any ideas on that?

best regards,
and thanks again for your great filter,
iago
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2002, 14:00   #43  |  Link
iago
retired

@Tom

To be more specific:

* darkening effect -> both when softening and sharpening

* vertical bars -> when sharpening

* thin light lines on all four sides of the frames -> when softening (especially)

regards,
iago
Old 19th October 2002, 14:07   #44  |  Link
trbarry

iago -

I have absolutely no idea why UnFilter helps with the lumi masking problem, though enough people have confirmed it that I can't argue.

I don't think unfilter darkens anything. If so, that would be a bug. But, if it turned out that UnFilter was slightly darkening everything, should I fix it? Or leave it alone to help with the lumi problem?

I suspect the vertical bars are UnFilter sharpening some cyclical compression (block?) artifact that is already in the source material but have no way to prove that. The only thing I can say here is be careful not to over sharpen. I've previously searched long and hard to see if UnFilter was doing something wrong in this area but could not find anything.

Could you post a pic with the light lines at the edge? And what release are you using? I think there is version info if you right click on the dll.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2002, 14:47   #45  |  Link
iago
retired

@Tom,

First, thanks for the quick reply and your interest.

* The UnFilter.dll version is 0.0.1.1, dated 29.06.2002.

* The (slight) darkening effect of UnFilter is certain imho (and I can also post screenshots for comparison from many different test rips to prove it), but as you said it would be much better to leave this effect "as is" imho , since it is really very helpful against one of the ugliest problems of the encoding scene -> black-blocking!

* I have attached a sample image with light lines at edges (UnFilter(-10,-10) / XviD / BicubicResize(640,352,0,0.5) / MPEG2DEC2.dll / avisynth 2.06)

regards,
iago

Last edited by iago; 19th October 2002 at 15:30.
Old 19th October 2002, 15:34   #46  |  Link
iago
retired

Sorry,

The sample image with light thin lines at edges is attached to this post.

regards,
iago
Old 21st October 2002, 08:56   #47  |  Link
iago
retired

Tom,

Any ideas on these light lines at edges (or the UnFilter.dll version I use)?

iago
Old 21st October 2002, 14:29   #48  |  Link
trbarry

iago -

Sorry, I can't even see the light edges, but maybe that is my image preview on this machine with white borders around it.

But there is a newer version 0.0.1.2 (from July 2) that fixes a couple things when using low parm values. You might try that first.

www.trbarry.com/UnFilter.zip

- Tom
Old 21st October 2002, 16:01   #49  |  Link
iago
retired

-> Sorry, I can't even see the light edges, but maybe that is my image preview on this machine with white borders around it. (trbarry)

Tom,

It's OK, with the 0.0.1.2 version I don't see them light edges either!

regards,
iago
Old 21st October 2002, 17:14   #50  |  Link
trbarry

Ha! I weasled out of another one!

- Tom
Old 11th November 2002, 15:01   #51  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

@trbarry

hi, i am actually working on a guide for my tools, i have make some screenshot for the unfilter, i post it here because perhaps this will help u if u want some graphical exemple in your doc.

i have make a subtract beetween the 2 pictures (the original source and the filtered source) the substcart function show the different pixel beetween the 2 pictures, an a modification on the color show the new pixels appeared .

unfilter light : 15,15
unfilter medium : 25,25
unfilter heavy : 40,40

only UNFILTER :

the sharp filter increase noise and noise increase final file size it for that we generaly use a denoise filter before use the unfilter, i have make some screen shot :

UNFILTER & temporalsoften2(2,5,5) :

UNFILTER & convolution3d(1,4,5,3,4,2.8,0) :

UNFILTER & Temporalsmoother(1) :

i hope this will perhaps help some people.
i knox unfilter was not specified for mangas, and when i have make the sceenshot with the movie sample i will paste it.

Ps: sorry for my bad english and for the huge size of the picture (jpeg quality 100%).

Bye

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 16:58   #52  |  Link
trbarry

Dark-Cracker -

Interesting samples. But the total extent of my doc is usually just a Readme.txt file so there's not much place for nice graphics.

I suppose I should work on this but there always seems to be something else to do. I am not very good at packaging.

- Tom
Old 11th November 2002, 17:08   #53  |  Link
cult

@trbarry
will you please make yv12 version for unfilter?
cult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 17:15   #54  |  Link
iago
retired

@cult

Was asked before by an addict of the filter!
Not in Tom's top-priority list, though I wish it were .

regards,
iago
Old 11th November 2002, 19:00   #55  |  Link
cult

But I am addicted too.And his great tomsmocomp.Although I live in a country with pal,sometimes I have to use it.Its the best deinterlacer filter imho.
@Iago
thank you Iago for all your suggestions with xvid.
cult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 06:39   #56  |  Link
trbarry

I made a YV12 version

FWIW, I just put out an experimental YV12 UnFilter, for Avisynth 2.5 Alpha testing only. See:

www.trbarry.com/Readme_UnFilter.txt and
www.trbarry.com/UnFilter.zip (source and dll)

Somebody please let me know if this immediately crashes. My recent version of YV12 TomsMoComp seems to crash for everybody except me so maybe I'm using the wrong libraries or something. But if it crashes please post your script and say which CPU and OS you are using.

There are 2 versions in the zip, one for Avisynth 2.5a with YV12 support and another which is a copy of the old one. Of course use the right one one.

For YV12 support only, I decided to also soften/sharpen chroma values, unlike for YUY2 and the old one. It seems to work okay but if it turns out to be a dumb idea let me know and I'll make that optional or just turn it off. But it was easier to do with YV12.

- Tom
Old 14th November 2002, 08:18   #57  |  Link
scmccarthy

@Tom

Both versions 0.0.1.1 and 0.0.1.2 are kept on my computer because the latter caused vertical lines unfilter(-15,0) that look a little like television. I like the noise it produces even if it is inadvertant. Too bad mmx code really baffles me, I am curious how unfilter works.
scmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 10:37   #58  |  Link
Gaia

Sorry Tom just tried your YV12 Unfilter. There's huge green and black line in the right border and also "pixel width to be a multiple of 4" causes huge cropping problems.

Anyway thanks for lots of very nice filters. I like Undot a lot.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2002, 16:00   #59  |  Link
trbarry

I forgot to update the version info on the one I posted last night. But could both of you guys with the problems look at the copies of UnFilter.dll you are specifying for YV12 and verify that the date on the module was yesterday?

Also what processor and parameters are you using when you have YV12 problems.

- Tom
Old 14th November 2002, 17:23   #60  |  Link
iago
retired

Tom,

First, thanks a lot for working on the YV12 version of UnFilter and making a release. I can confirm the problem of "thick green line at the right side of picture" when using the YV12 version.

Also, the UnFilter.dll in the "UnFilter_Avisynth_2.5_Alpha" directory of the package is dated 14.11.2002.

I'm using Windows XP SP1 and Celeron 900.

thanks and best regards,
iago

edit: I tried different -/+ settings but the green line at the right border is always there.

Last edited by iago; 14th November 2002 at 17:32.