Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2002, 22:15   #1  |  Link
TRILIGHT

A tip for DVD Jacket picture...

I've been doing this lately but wasn't sure who all was aware so I thought I'd share. For those that don't know, the DVD Jacket picture is what is displayed on the TV screen when the player is in a stop/resume mode. Not all movies have them and some movies have crappy ones. I personally like to make my own.

If you are re-authoring a movie in DVD Maestro, simply go to the properties of your project and click on the button there to add a DVD Jacket picture. Make sure the picture you are using is 720x480 to match the video source.

You can also add a DVD Jacket picture to DVD's that do not have one and you may not have had to re-author. Simply create a "fake" project in Maestro and add a jacket picture as usual. Compile the project and you will have the JACKET_P folder created for you. You can add this folder to the burn project along with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders you have from the original. No editing of IFO's is necessary. The JACKET_P folder is accessed independantly of them.

Anyway, I find it useful and thought someone else might too.
TRILIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2002, 22:27   #2  |  Link
CorkSucker

Thanks trilight, i was wondering why some dvd's had the jacket_p folder, and what that button in Maestro was.

Great tip,

Corky
CorkSucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2002, 12:26   #3  |  Link
Scoobydeux
Ruh?

Will Prassi PrimoDVD recognize the JACKET_P folder? I guess I'll try and see!
Scoobydeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2002, 07:08   #4  |  Link
brett

Does anybody know of any region 1 titles that have jacket pictures? I've got a lot of DVD's, and I've never noticed any having that folder. I had just assumed none of my players supported it, but maybe it's just that none of my DVD's have it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2002, 08:07   #5  |  Link
nlphillips

These R1 films have jacket pictures....

Leon - The Professional (Uncut International Version)
Me Myself & Irene
Used Cars

Can't remember about some of my other films... "friends" have borrowed and not returned them. Grrrr.
nlphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2002, 14:25   #6  |  Link
sTEP nEG

Jackets without DVD Maestro

I would I go about addind a jacket to a dvd without out using DVD Maestro?
sTEP nEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2002, 16:03   #7  |  Link
TRILIGHT

Re: Jackets without DVD Maestro

Quote:
Originally posted by sTEP nEG
I would I go about addind a jacket to a dvd without out using DVD Maestro?
You would have to use some sort of software to at least convert your pictures into the proper (I think it's .mp2?) format. Once the pictures are compiled into the proper format, you can drop them into your JACKET_P folder and burn.
Old 17th October 2002, 21:12   #8  |  Link
nlphillips

According to Scenarist, Jacket pictures exist in three sizes (Small, Medium and Large) and if any Jacket picture is to be included, then all three sizes of files must be provided.

The Jacket picture dimensions are:
Large, NTSC - 720x480
Medium, NTSC - 176x112
Small, NTSC - 96x64

Large, PAL - 720x576
Medium, PAL - 176x144
Small, PAL - 96x80

I haven't got any experience with any other authoring programmes... so do other authoring progs, (such as Maestro), require all three files as well?
Old 18th October 2002, 03:29   #9  |  Link
Scoobydeux
Ruh?

Maestro asks for the picture 3 times, then (as far as I can tell, due to the file sizes) it automatically resizes what you give it to match the appropriate size... I put in a 720x480 picture for all 3 files, and got 3 mp2 files of 3 escalating sizes (sm to lg).
Old 18th October 2002, 07:37   #10  |  Link
McPoodle

There is a downloadable tutorial on creating Jacket Pictures without DVDMaestro or Scenarist at http://www.tfdvd.com/public/department44.cfm. Looking it over, I believe the process described is needlessly complicated. It says to convert your stills to AVI files before importing into TMPGenc, but TMPGenc will accept graphics files in the Video source, so I think you can go from creating the bitmap to encoding it to MPEG-2.

A more pertinent question might be: does anyone out there have a DVD player or DVD software that displays the jacket picture when in the Stop state? The tutorial mentions the Sony NS900V. I looked through one or two sites selling DVD players, and none stated they supported them. A handful of players (mostly multi-disk changers) stated they supported DVD Text, so I guess they might do jacket pictures, too.

Last edited by McPoodle; 24th October 2002 at 04:19.
McPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2002, 09:16   #11  |  Link
nlphillips

I've got an old Sony 725 (modified by Techtronics)... it displays jackets ok when you press stop on the remote... Except for the Jacket on Me, Myself & Irene (R1). That one is pretty blocky and corrupted for some reason.
Old 18th October 2002, 09:23   #12  |  Link
sTEP nEG

Ccreating Jacket Pictures without DVDMaestro

I had a look for that tutorial and couldn't see it?

Would I be right in thinking that I could just read in 3 different sized BMP files according to thoses sizes described by nlphillips and converting to mpeg2? Then dump these files into the JACKET_P folder.

As far as players go I have a Sony DVP-S336 and there is a setting to turn on either jacket display or the Sony DVD logo in the stopped state.
sTEP nEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2002, 11:18   #13  |  Link
Scoobydeux
Ruh?

Sony DVP-530D does display jackets (I have only seen the large, I don't know where the medium and small ones fit in to the scheme).
Old 23rd October 2002, 04:24   #14  |  Link
McPoodle

The medium jacket pictures are used in 5-disc DVD players to allow you to select which DVD you want to play. I assume the small pictures are used in 50-disc players for the same purpose.

For those that can't download the tutorial, here is the condensed version:
[list=1][*]Create three images. For NTSC, they should be 720x480, 176x112, and 96x64, while PAL uses 720x576, 176x144, and 96x80. All the rules for creating DVD images apply: create in a 4:3 ratio and re-size to get undistorted images, use the correct RGB color ranges for NTSC, and put the content you want seen within the 5% title-safe area (this last rule probably doesn't apply to the medium and small images).[*]Use TMPGenc or some other MPEG encoder to convert the images into MP2 files (use your normal DVD encoding parameters).[*]Give the files the following names for NTSC: J00___5L.MP2 for the large image, J00___5M.MP2 for the medium image, and J00___5S.MP2 for the small image. For PAL, the names are J00___6L.MP2 for large, J00___6M.MP2 for medium, and J00___6S.MP2 for small. Be sure to use zeroes (not capital O's) and to put three underscores in each name. The names are also case-sensitive.[*]Create a JACKET_P directory off of the root of the DVD (at the same level as AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) and put the three MP2 files in it.[/list=1]

I'd still like to know if there are any PC DVD-players that display jacket pictures, so those of us without Sony DVD settops can see them. I know for a fact that PowerDVD, WinDVD, and CineMaster's DVD Player all show black screens or their own logos when stopped.
Old 23rd October 2002, 13:13   #15  |  Link
Scoobydeux
Ruh?

GREAT POST! Thanks for the info, your post is now printed and in my "DVD-Burning Bible of Justice".

Here is McPoodle's link, just had an extra period at the end. This one worked fine. Thanks, McPoodle for pointing us in that direction:

http://www.tfdvd.com/public/department44.cfm

Cheers!

Last edited by Scoobydeux; 23rd October 2002 at 13:16.
Old 24th October 2002, 04:21   #16  |  Link
McPoodle

OK, I corrected my earlier post so anyone reading this thread in the future won't get too frustrated, then added this explanation so your correction would still make sense
Old 1st December 2002, 19:54   #17  |  Link
bobrap

I have a Toshiba SD-2800 that displays the picture during screen saver mode.
bobrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2003, 06:39   #18  |  Link
kspratt

Messed up jacket_p file

I just recently purchased the new Sony DVP-CX875P and I am attempting to move my old home videos to DVD. The Sony player does take advantage of the jacket pictures but when I follow the information from the link above the Disk Explorer (Sony's way to navigate through the 300 potential disks in the player) colors start getting skewed up whenever my home made disk is listed on the screen. I also have seen this happen with one store bought title. I am not sure what I am missing in the authoring process that would cause this issue. Any ideas?
kspratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2003, 22:23   #19  |  Link
DL

I have a similar problem. When I setup the jackets photos they some times duplicate in the player on other disk that are backups. However they never show up on the pressed dvd's only on the backup. so it appears as though I have made 2 and 3 backups of the same disk.

DL
DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2003, 22:42   #20  |  Link
TRILIGHT

Must be some sort of caching mechanism causing the problem in those changers. I have a Sony single-disc player and it's never failed to display the correct jacket picture as intended.