Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 16th April 2002, 19:14   #1  |  Link
Pko

Avisynth DLLs in D2S

I asked this in avisynth forum, but they directed me here...

There are two sugestively-named Avisynth DLLs included in DVD2SVCD package, "Avisynth Subtitler.dll" and "Avisynth BMP Loader.dll", but I cannot find how to use them in my projects and I cannot find instructions for them...
Pko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2002, 06:17   #2  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

If they are used they are used automatically when you select the right options.

Mark
Old 17th April 2002, 15:38   #3  |  Link
Pko

Quote:
Originally posted by markrb
If they are used they are used automatically when you select the right options.
Yes, but I want to use them in my own avisynth projects... I am doing moving menus and I am using for now the logo virtual dub plugin to mix BMPs with movies... The problem is that the VD plugin used from VD is cumbersome, since I must make a .avs that generates the small windows with the menu's options and then open the .avs in VD, set the correct logo filters for the display and then start the frameserver, and finally compress the virtual AVI with CCE. Also, it is slow (not very important since the menu is short, but I'm getting speeds of 0.07 when usually get speeds of 0.8)

I am trying to directly use the logo plugin in avisynth; unfortunately, even if I can do that, it will still be slow because the YUV/RGB conversion.

The logo plugin is great, has some wonderfuil options like animation, alpha blending and transparency, but has the limitation that the BMP is not antialiased. I thought that perhaps the subtitle plugin (that has obviously transparency and antialiasing) can be tricked to have alpha blending and animation, or perhaps that can be done with the BMP plugin.

Please, if anyone has more information of the options that can be used with subtitle and bmp plugins... for example, how yoy indicate what is the background (-> transparent) color in the BMPs to the subtitle plugin? can be some alpha blending be specified?

In fact, I think it is fairly simple to do a "chapters" menu automatically, so when I have my system correctly set, I plan to make a guide and sent it here for being used by anyone and even incorpored to DVD2SVCD if its author thinks it worths it.

The tools I am using now are:
avisynth
mpeg2dec plugin
virtual dub
logo plugin
CCE (of course TMPGEnc can be used as well)

Last edited by Pko; 17th April 2002 at 15:41.
Pko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2002, 18:36   #4  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I think them redirecting you here was a mistake. There are not many people that know the inner workings of DVD2SVCD and especially something that is used only occasionally. To my thinking this is much more a Avisynth question then a DVD2SVCD question. You might get help here, but I really think the Avisynth forum is better equiped for this. Especially considering Dividee is one of the developers of it and he rarely shows up in this forum, but is always over in the Avisynth forum.

In either case I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Mark

Last edited by markrb; 17th April 2002 at 18:40.
markrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2002, 20:47   #5  |  Link
dividee

Bach has already given a good explanation. And he is right, I don't think many avisynth users use this filter standalone, and the only ones must be dvd2svcd users. I only helped dvd2svcd a bit with color conversion and transparency a long time ago. I thought the plugin may have changed since then, but it doesn't seem so.

Yes, transparent color is black (with some treshold, if memory serves me well). And the parameter that Bach leaved as 0 is used for darkening the video around the subtitles. Try setting it to 10 to see what I mean. And AFAIK, it can't be used for alpha blending.

As you can see, the plugin wasn't really designed to be used outside of dvd2svcd.
Old 17th April 2002, 22:24   #6  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I had no idea that DVD2SVCD had made any avisynth dll's. Since it was in the avisynth directory I just assumed it was a standard avisynth plugin. Live and learn.

Mark
Old 26th March 2007, 21:24   #7  |  Link
jolson

This is a *really* old thread, but I thought it was better to "resurrect" it than explain everything from the beginning...

I *do* want to use DVD2SVCD and also subtitling, but I would like italic subs to be handled (which I don't see is handled by AviSynth Subtitler.dll)

So I just want to check:
* As I understand it, the source to DVD2SVCD will not be given out?
* Is it the same for the plugin, AviSynth Subtitler.dll?
* Is it even known how Avisynth Subtitler.dll function(s) are called from DVD2SVCD?
* Is it possible to (and not needing to do *major* work) to do subtitling any other way, while still using DVD2SVCD? (Like using Gabest's VSFilter in an Avisynth command, and not specifying subs in DVD2SVCD - I don't mind if the subs get burned in, if it's not degrading video quality)?
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 23:47   #8  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson
* As I understand it, the source to DVD2SVCD will not be given out?
That is the current situation as I understand it too.
Quote:
* Is it the same for the plugin, AviSynth Subtitler.dll?
* Is it even known how Avisynth Subtitler.dll function(s) are called from DVD2SVCD?
I don't know
Quote:
* Is it possible to (and not needing to do *major* work) to do subtitling any other way, while still using DVD2SVCD? (Like using Gabest's VSFilter in an Avisynth command, and not specifying subs in DVD2SVCD - I don't mind if the subs get burned in, if it's not degrading video quality)?
In theory, yes, as long as you aren't doing anything too fancy like NTSC2PAL etc and you don't mind burned-in subs. Extract vsfilter.dll to your avisynth plugin directory and set DVD2SVCD to edit the avisynth script as part of video encoding (frameserver tab). After audio encoding, a window opens with the avisynth script. Just add Textsub("c:\path\subfile.srt") to the bottom, obviously substituting the correct path in for your stream.

It should work I reckon.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 09:04   #9  |  Link
jolson

OK, thanks. I will check then if Textsub can do italics and other "fancies".
Old 27th March 2007, 20:15   #10  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

I don't know about "other fancies" but I tested it with italics before I posted.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 15:44   #11  |  Link
jolson

Tested, and works fine - thanks!