Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th March 2005, 01:08   #21  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

kassandro, did you miss my post?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 01:16   #22  |  Link
kassandro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
kassandro, did you miss my post?
No, but your post didn't seem to require an answer. I think my filter is yet in test phase. Currently, it is simply too conservative, especially CNRF, to compete with CNR2 as far as compression is concerned. CNRT, CNRS should not be used at the moment. I will post a new version on saturday. Tests and comments are very wellcome!
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2005, 01:26   #23  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I'll be happy to test CNRF_YV12 once it's ready, and I will post pictures comparing it to CNR2 .
Old 19th March 2005, 10:01   #24  |  Link
kassandro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
I'll be happy to test CNRF_YV12 once it's ready, and I will post pictures comparing it to CNR2 .
I think, I have to postpone the YV12 routine until next weekend. But why are you using YV12 for analog capture? If you capture progressive material, then YV12 is not really disadvantageous, but if is is interlaced material, then YUY2 is vastly superior, because interlaced YV12 is really a bad thing. The relation quality loss versus compression gain is far worse for interlaced YV12 than for progressive YV12 material. Probably you have a capture card with an mpeg2 hardware encoder, which are easy to use, but with respect to quality they are obviously inferior to the much cheaper YUY2-avi capture cards.
Old 20th March 2005, 00:03   #25  |  Link
kassandro

I have now uploaded a new version (available at the old links). There have been a lot of changes. CNRT and CNRS should now work as expected, i.e. better compression and less ghosts for CNRT. I have also added the the boolean variable aggressive to CNRT. If aggressive=true, then CNRT should operate more similarily to CNR2, but it will also a similar amount of ghosting. The aggressive=true mode is one sided, thus some scene change code should be added, which is not yet there. However, for testing the current version is sufficient. As far as CNR2 and CNRT(aggressive=true) is concerned, there is an issue with multipass encoding: Avisynth may serve slightly different frames in each pass. All three filters have been made slightly more aggressive.
No YV12 version yet.
Old 20th March 2005, 15:50   #26  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by kassandro
I think, I have to postpone the YV12 routine until next weekend. But why are you using YV12 for analog capture?
The capture was either made with professional DV equipment (in RGB24 IIRC) or a hauppauge 401 (in YUY2 AFAIK), but what I'm working on was manually IVTCed via TMPG (no auto IVTC method produced satisfactory results) so it's progressive. The only reason I'm converting to YV12 is because I'm compressing it to Xvid for testing purposes and because some of the filters I use need YV12 input.
Old 20th March 2005, 20:30   #27  |  Link
kassandro

Usually any filter for YV12 can be quickly turned into a planar YUY2 filter, because all planes are processed separately. CNRF is an exception of this rule. In YUY2 each chroma "pixel" belongs to two luma "pixels" while in YV12 there are already 4 luma "pixels" for each chroma pixel and if you want to go for the best quality these differences require different assembler routines, because the CNR filters unlike most other filters relate the chroma to the luma, more precisely chroma differences to luma differences. Because of this I am waiting for things to settle before I turn to the YV12 routine. At the moment CNRF simply seems to be to conservative.