Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2002, 02:11   #1  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

Video Jitter in OGM with Ogg Audio

hello all

When i mux ogg audio with my video into OGM the file plays back in a jittery manner,e.g playback is ok for a while,then it will play back similar to slow frame advance for some frames then playsback ok for a while and so on.The audio also has some crackling when the video jitters.
It is definatly an ogg audio problem as this does not happen when i mux the video to ogm with mp3 or with no audio,only with ogg.

I encoded with XviD-keopi's 14102002 build using default decoder.Ogg audio was done using OggMachine with besweet 1.5b2.I muxed with both OggMux 0.8.4 and the OggTools muxer(both gave same results.I also tried muxing with VDubMOD too.

Is anyone able to tell me why this happens please.
Kb_cruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2002, 18:51   #2  |  Link
Suzahara
Penguin Pilferer

What are you using to decode the xvid video? nic's xvid decoder or ffdshow? If you are using the built-in decoder, then try ffdshow. There may be some bugs with xvid's decoder and the ogg format.
Suzahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 16:38   #3  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

I have now figured out the reason but still don't know why.The ogg(vorbis.dll) decoding is not working right,specifically the ogg decoder that is part of OggDS distribution.When i play any ogg file with mediaplayer the file plays erratically(sounds like jittery slowmotion).When played in winamp ogg files play fine.

When i try to unregister or delete the vorbis.dll windows says it is in use by another application.It also says the same for the ogg.dll.I don't know whether this should be happening or not?i would guess not though because the OggDS install tells me ogg.dll and vorbis.dll can't be written to,so i suspect it may also be a windblows problem.

So it is the ogg audio that makes the video jitter,not the other way round.I am at a loss how to fix it though and hope someone who has had this problem can help?
Old 20th November 2002, 16:55   #4  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

Garfield is having the same problem as me and has attached a mp3 file that demonstrates our problem very well and may help someone recognise the fault.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...029#post213029
Old 20th November 2002, 18:08   #5  |  Link
Koepi

Go to the filter setup (in windows media player 6.4: properties -> the tab on the right -> vorbis decoder filter) and set it from "ieee float" to "16bit int".

EDIT: after that, close WMP and reopen it and try to play the file again.

Should help incompatibilities with crappy soundcards/drivers.

Regards
Koepi
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2002, 23:02   #6  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

Thanks for your suggestion koepi,unfortunatly it made no difference.
I have notice two other thing however.

1.On a fresh restart i can modify ogg.dll and vorbis.dll but they cannot be resistered,when i try i get a "ogg.dll was loaded,but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found"error.Once i play a ogg audio file the ability to modify the dll's is lost and i get a "in use by another application"error.

2.If i decode a ogg audio file to wav the resulting wav makes my pagefile jump from 43mb to 441mb and i get an "out of memory"message in mediaplayer6.4.This does not happen when i decode an mp3 and play back the wav.

Old 20th November 2002, 23:14   #7  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

I forgot to mention that the wav from the decoded ogg file plays fine in winamp also.So it is an issue with winxp and vorbis decoder,but why? i just can't figure this one out.I guess i'll have to try a different audio format in ogm or another vid format altogether.Roll on MCF.
Old 20th November 2002, 23:37   #8  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

O.k,a bit closer to a solution now.I opened the ogg audio file in GraphEdit - Source=>OggSplitter=>Vorbis decoder=>Default waveout device.
This file plays back with the jitter,but if i try - Source=>OggSplitter=>Vorbis decoder=>Default Direct Sound device.
It plays back without a hitch.
So all i have to do now is find out how to get mediaplayer to use "default direct sound device"by default instead of "default waveout Device".Can anyone help me with this.
Old 20th November 2002, 23:48   #9  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

I have founda solution at last.This only works for ZoomPlayer,I still don't know how to set "direct sound device" in mediaplayer6.4,but for zoomplayer i did the following.

Open zoomplayer(obviously )go to "options" then to "Manual filters" then tick "use custom audio in media mode" then click "refresh list" choose "direct sound device" then press "manual save" and your done.

No more Jitter

Last edited by Kb_cruncher; 20th November 2002 at 23:53.
Old 1st July 2003, 12:10   #10  |  Link
DaveQB
Theora and Mkv fan! :)

well thanx a bundle Kb_cruncher

i had the exact same problem and your solution solved it.

not sure of your Ogg/OGM usage history
but i find this very odd:

i have a number of Xvid/OGG OGM files and never had a problem playing back using th OggDS ver 9550 filter

then suddenly this jittering,
i thought a bad video encode, but found
1) paying back a CD from out of the cupboard that was playing fine had the same problem.
2) re-muxing the video with an mp3 file didnt have any problems

so definately OggDS filter

like you i could over write the .dll's

so i booted into safe mode and deleted all relevate .dll's from the install.
re-booted and installed again, but no difference

your solution is the only way (or maybe a re-image/re-format)

dunno why this suddenly happened.

i want to use Xvid/Ogg OGM method for encoding video of our sporting team and distribute, but the guys no nothing of codec's and all, i hope this doesnt coz problems with their WMP/ default systems

bring on MKV !!!!

Opty 146 @ 2.5Ghz || nForce3 ||1x330 + 3x120gig || CX23881 Capture Card
OCAU || My blog

Proud to be an Aussie!

Last edited by DaveQB; 1st July 2003 at 12:13.
DaveQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2003, 12:21   #11  |  Link
Animaniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Kb_cruncher
I have founda solution at last.This only works for ZoomPlayer,I still don't know how to set "direct sound device" in mediaplayer6.4,but for zoomplayer i did the following.

Open zoomplayer(obviously )go to "options" then to "Manual filters" then tick "use custom audio in media mode" then click "refresh list" choose "direct sound device" then press "manual save" and your done.

No more Jitter
You may be able to modify your system-wide DirectSound options in the "Sound and Audio Devices" control panel. Namely, try putting hardware settings to the max under Advanced Audio.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2003, 12:23   #12  |  Link
DaveQB

i cant speak for Kb_cruncher
but mine is always maxed

OCAU || My blog

Proud to be an Aussie!
Old 1st July 2003, 13:46   #13  |  Link
Koepi

Well, as you already noticed, this isn't related to the OggDS filters. (You find the problems, but your conclusion is totally wrong.)

It's your messed up system/soundcard/setup.

One solution to set the default output device to directsound is attached to this post, I had built this for fixing the same problem on a computer of a friend of mine (which had messy hardware too, namely the soundcard [and here: the drivers] sucked badly.) I found this solution somewhere on the net, but can't unfortunately remember where.

Don't blame the good devs if you buy bad hardware!

Koepi
Attached Files
File Type: zip set_directsound.zip (9.4 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by Koepi; 1st July 2003 at 13:50.
Old 1st July 2003, 14:34   #14  |  Link
DaveQB

thank you i will give it a try

but for the record, i dont buy bad hardware
i am always buying the lastest hardware that i see a worthwhile upgrade, upgrading my system ~every 3 weeks.

my nForce MCP APU is on par with Audigy sound quality
and also for the record my PCMarks are 6,654 5,400 1,300
and last time i checked i was 37th in the world according to the ORB with my AXP/R8500 setup.
not bad for a long time deleted line - AXP1700 :P

this problem never existed for me til a few days ago, and i havent changed audio/VGA/chipset drivers in over a month, probably more like 2mths
hence i dont see the relation,

Windows on the other hand.....

OCAU || My blog

Proud to be an Aussie!
Old 5th July 2003, 18:17   #15  |  Link
cweb

What happens if you install the CoreVorbis Audio decoder and then using Vdubmod mux the ogm into a matroska file?

Do you have the same problem? With CoreVorbis you'll be using a different decoder, perhaps that will work without problems..
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 19:40   #16  |  Link
Koepi

If you have information like chapters in your OGM, transmuxing to matroska (or anything else) will loose them as chapters and movie information aren't supported(yet).

I'd just recommand that as temporary "watching and deleting" solution for now, until all ogm features are supported by matroska. If Tobias releases his sources soon we'll be able to fix that in no time, so you won't need to transmux anything.

Regards
Koepi
Old 6th July 2003, 01:17   #17  |  Link
DaveQB

no Kb_cruncher had the answer.

i got some windows problems and re-imaged back to 3 weeks earlier, but installed my newly bought ZoomPlayer Pro before testing the status of XX/OGG playback,

all works fine now too (after some minor Reg editing to included the new player in the Open With... list)

OCAU || My blog

Proud to be an Aussie!