Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 5th November 2002, 01:03   #121  |  Link
iago
retired

@Marc,

I guess lumoff parameter does not work in your "mpeg2dec3 YV12.dll", right? I really would like to be able to use it with YV12 .

regards,
iago
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 03:23   #122  |  Link
trbarry

I wrote my first YUY2/YV12 filter

Quote:
Tom,
That's great news, glad to hear your working on them already. When you say "dot remover", are you speaking about the so called "mosquito noise" we see on DVD sources? I know your mostly into HDTV so maybe I'm off base here.
MaTTeR -

Not off base at all. It is a fairly fast simple deringing median filter designed to remove stray dots. It should somewhat handle ringing and mosquito noise. It may not have as strong an effect as the one I did for Xvid/ffdshow but should be maybe twice as fast.

Some really superficial testing shows it gives maybe a 5-10% compression improvement at Xvid quant=2 for clean (superbit) source without any obvious loss of detail. But this is brand new, experimental, and only for the Avisynth 2.5 alpha testing (SSEMMX only).

I intended this somewhat to be a simple example of a mixed YUY2 and YV12 (no RGB) filter. Anyway, see:

www.trbarry.com/Readme_UnDot.txt and
www.trbarry.com/UnDot.zip (source & dll)

And FWIW, after demuxing HDTV caps are basically just Vobs, YV12/mpeg2 video with ac3 sound except lots more pixels. They can have the same blocking and ringing problems as a DVD and can be IVTC'd and deinterlaced the same. But many of the same tools work and Avisynth/Virtualdub/Xvid is still the way to go. I recommend everybody get a HDTV card for captures if there are any stations where you live. It's like they are broadcasting free 1920x1080i DVD's (but cut for prime time audiences, the "airplane versions").

But because of the huge resolution they are pig slow to process which makes Sh0dans new YV12 support the neatest thing since sliced bread.

Thanks, Sh0dan.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 15:08   #123  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Tom,

Thx for the speedy filter. I ran a full 2pass encode last night using latest AVS 2.5 alpha along with Koepi's latest 11-04 dev build. No problems at all and I did gain about 7% in compression. Visually I don't see any loss of detail. While the source isn't SuperBit, it's still one of the cleanest DVD transfers you'll see for an older movie(Romeo is Bleeding). So I guess it's safe to change your readme to indicate it has been tested on AMD Athlons

Dual AMD XP 1600s
Win2k w/ SP3
512MB PC2700 DDR

BTW- Many thx for that HDTV info, I had never really paid much attention to it until this weekend I seen a beautiful Fuji HDTV at my local AV store. Unfortunately it was almost $10K but certainly had the best picture I've ever seen. It would be worth me buying HDTV just for the National Geo. HDTV channel thats broadcasted here.
Old 5th November 2002, 16:34   #124  |  Link
int 21h
Still Laughing

You all may be interested in checking out:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=36768

Its a commandline encoding application specifically for Avisynth written by [Toff], and today I added two pass functionality to it (with XviD in mind). Give it a whirl (It supports YV12).
int 21h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 17:05   #125  |  Link
Marc FD
XviD fan

>I guess lumoff parameter does not work in your "mpeg2dec3 YV12.dll",
>right? I really would like to be able to use it with YV12 .

It works, and all other features too, because everything is working in YV12 colorspace.
Marc FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 21:05   #126  |  Link
iago
retired

@Marc

The results I get when using lumoff=-96 and no lumoff parameter are the same, which is impossible, since a value of lumoff=-96 should darken out the encode considerably!

To make sure, can you or someone else check that on another machine please?

(mpeg2dec3 YV12.dll - Avs2.5 (4-11-02) - XviD 04112002-1)

regards,
iago
iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 02:34   #127  |  Link
unplugged

Quote:
Originally posted by int 21h
You all may be interested in checking out:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=36768

Its a commandline encoding application specifically for Avisynth written by [Toff], and today I added two pass functionality to it (with XviD in mind). Give it a whirl (It supports YV12).
Maybe?

YV12@#]/@€£$"òç!!!

Boys, this AVS2AVI utility really ROCKS !!!

It takes almost NO TIME to setup!!!
Very easy to insert in batch files toghether with other stuff + shutdown command and goes up to 40fps with my Athlon 2100+ even with B-Frames at hi-res!!

Love infinitely command-line tools...

Thanx TOFF!

Waiting Suiryc for OGG mod
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 04:13   #128  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by iago
The results I get when using lumoff=-96 and no lumoff parameter are the same, which is impossible, since a value of lumoff=-96 should darken out the encode considerably!
Iago is correct of course, changing the value either direction gives no effect to the encode whatsoever. However, I can confirm that various PP/CPU modes are working. I still never understood what blend=xxxx did so I never play with it
Old 6th November 2002, 04:14   #129  |  Link
ookzDVD
DVD Rebuilder!

Hmmm....

I have the same speed of encoding even the "default" or the tricky
"yv12" mode both the same speed with the same script and xvid settings, both about ~17-19fps on my Athlon XP +1700.

I think I'm missing something or it's my bad machine
ookzDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 04:56   #130  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

I think I've just ran across a nasty bug but I'm not sure who the culprit is at this time. For whatever reason, encoding with a resolution of 612x332 almost doubles or triples my file size compared to a resolution of 608x332.

Koepi's Dev Xvid build- 04112002 using Chroma motion option with MPEG fixed quantizer of 2. Also using latest AVS 2.5 alpha build dated as 11-04-2002 along with shOdan's hacked VdubMPG2 app.

Sample Script-
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth2\plugins\MPEG2DEC3 YV12.dll")
mpeg2source("D:\test\romeo.d2v")
crop(8,4,704,464)
LanczosResize(604,328)
Limiter()
Replacing the resizer line above with LanczosResize(608,332) gives expected results. Please forgive me if I'm overlooking something very obvious here, it was a very long day at work. Can anyone else reproduce the results though?

Edit-
@ookzDVD,
Can you post your script and XviD build?

Edit2-
@all,
Uhgg...guess I'll try reproducing my file size problem with Divx5 quants now to make sure this isn't an XviD issue.

Update: Moderator, please merge this post with the following Xvid thread. In fact I was unable to reproduce the problem using Divx 5.02

Last edited by MaTTeR; 6th November 2002 at 05:09.
MaTTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 05:36   #131  |  Link
ookzDVD
DVD Rebuilder!

@MaTTeR,

Here is my script :
Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec3 yv12.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\murder.d2v",lumoff=-2)
crop(0,0,-2,-2)
LanczosResize(640,352)
ookzDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 10:02   #132  |  Link
Wilbert

Last evening I tried Vobsub (which is supposed to work in YV12), but it doesn't work at all in AviSynth 2.5 alpha. I will contact Gabest.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 13:57   #133  |  Link
Chibi Jasmin

Quote:
Originally posted by unplugged
Boys, this AVS2AVI utility really ROCKS !!!
And girls?

Well, you're right, I also played with it and I love it...avs2.5 + mpeg2dec3 yv12 + avs2avi is fine for yv12...
Chibi Jasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 14:33   #134  |  Link
Marc FD
XviD fan

>The results I get when using lumoff=-96 and no lumoff parameter are the
>same, which is impossible, since a value of lumoff=-96 should darken out
> the encode considerably!

oups ^^
maybe i've commented the luma filtering with the YV12->YUY2 stuff.
because it's just before.

i'll try to release MPEG2Dec3 beta 7 with YUY2/YV12 choice and cleanded settings.

@Sh0dan :
are filters compiled for avisynth 2.5 compatible with 2.06 if i keep YUY2 colorspace ?

maybe i should wait until YV12 is stable. it's why i said i would stop to code.

BTW, is it possible to try to improve DirectShowSource in avisynth 2.5 ??
*.grf files support and/or sound support would be great. i hate dshow, but i admit it's sometimes a very usefull tool.

Cheers,
MarcFD
Marc FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 15:41   #135  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

Quote:
are filters compiled for avisynth 2.5 compatible with 2.06 if i keep YUY2 colorspace ?
No - and they never will. The internal structures have changed, and some have been added, so a 2.5 filter cannot work with earlier versions.
However a minor set of #ifdefs should make it possible to keep the two versions side by side.

[EDIT!] I've been talking to Gabest regarding VobSub, and he suggested that we should replace "AvisynthPluginInit" for plugins with "AvisynthPluginInit2" for 2.5 plugins. That way there will not be any conflicts at least. I still think you would need to compile two seperate dll's, since it refers directly to the structures of avisynth.h.

Quote:
maybe i should wait until YV12 is stable. it's why i said i would stop to code.
You're free to wait. YV12 will probably not change much more, since it seems to be working very nice internally, both performancewise and codewise (easy/good enough to use for plugin writers).

There will probably be added a few helper functions to Environmnet Settings in avisynth.h, but nothing major.
Quote:
BTW, is it possible to try to improve DirectShowSource in avisynth 2.5??
*.grf files support and/or sound support would be great. i hate dshow, but i admit it's sometimes a very usefull tool.
If you know how - yes! VFW and DirectShow was a dark hole for me until recently. I've learned some basics about VFW, but Directshow is still trial and error. I would love to add sound support, and GRF-support, but I have no idea where to start, and I would rather spend the time on finishing up 2.5 instead of beginning on a new project.

Last edited by sh0dan; 6th November 2002 at 17:27.
sh0dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 16:27   #136  |  Link
trbarry

Could someone verify something for me?

I still also have Divx5 installed which means that even when I send Vdubmpg2 YV12 data I can still see the preview, etc.

But when I set vdub to Fast recompress then it still should be passing the data directly to Xvid as YV12 without conversions, right?

I don't know how I would be able to test that except for speed and I don't know enough about how vdub works to be sure.

And, is that Divx YV12 decompressor even included in the free (non-adware) version of Divx 5?

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 16:44   #137  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

Re: Could someone verify something for me?

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
But when I set vdub to Fast recompress then it still should be passing the data directly to Xvid as YV12 without conversions, right?
Yes
Quote:
I don't know how I would be able to test that except for speed and I don't know enough about how vdub works to be sure.
The only way I know. You could try the new great "AVS2AVI" - it reports the colorspace used! But it's command-line based, so there is no preview there either.
Quote:
And, is that Divx YV12 decompressor even included in the free (non-adware) version of Divx 5?
Don't know - anyone?
Old 6th November 2002, 18:59   #138  |  Link
HarryM

Where can I find AVS2AVI utility?

I find on google, I can't find it!
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 19:06   #139  |  Link
hakko504
Remember Rule One

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryM
Where can I find AVS2AVI utility?
In a threaed in the developers forum here, called Command Line Compressor

http://www.boardgamegeek.com
hakko504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2002, 19:40   #140  |  Link
Rrrough

Quote:
yep. (what an elaborate and thoughtful answer, I know )
Rrrough is offline   Reply With Quote