Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 23rd November 2006, 18:52   #1  |  Link
szol

Play US DVD with European Laptop

Hi

I've got a DVD from the States and would like to watch the movie on my laptop which I bought in Europe. How is that possible? What software do I need? Could it cause any damage to the PC?

Thank you for help
szol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 19:57   #2  |  Link
Hard Core Rikki
Calling to the night...

The DVD drive itself probably has RPC2, if recent.

Using AVS DVD Player (free of charge) or Media Player Classic would be a good start, if you dont have fancier DVD software, ala PowerDVD.

Everytime you play a movie from a different region from what your drive is currently switched to, it will ask you to switch the region. You should have only 5 switchings allowed (plus 4 doable by the manufacturer). Once the switchings are 0, drive would remain locked at that particular region. Not very handy when it locks on Region 1, while the majority of your moviebase is Region 2.

If you use movies from different regions on a regular basis, you'd find it handy to use on-the-fly dezoning, using either DVD43 (free of charge), or AnyDVD.

Last edited by Hard Core Rikki; 23rd November 2006 at 20:02.
Hard Core Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 09:42   #3  |  Link
szol

Hi

I tried the AVS player but it doesn't work. It tells me that the DVD is not compatible...and stops at the first picture.
I saw on the AVS homepage that they claim that it should be possible to play NTSC on a European Player.

With videolan it is somewhat better. The movie itself comes ok but navigation is not possible (I would like to watch 24 season x)
I do not know if the software manufacturer simply advertise more than they keep or if I am not capable ?

I guess that it is the easiest to adjust one player to US region and keep it like that.
szol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 15:30   #4  |  Link
KoD

If you're willing to spend money on this, I can recommend you DVDRegion+CSS Free or DVD Idle Pro (not the non-pro version). I've used them sucessfully. If you have this app running before inserting the disc in the dvd unit, your unit will not change region but still play the disc. It even works if your unit is already locked on another region than the one your disc is meant for.

Here's the page: DVDIdle.com
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 05:24   #5  |  Link
Part Timer

Have you tried updating your firmware from rpc1.org
you will need to know exact model of your dvd drive.
they have helped lots over last three years for me
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote