Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th October 2006, 14:03   #61  |  Link
clsid

Great update. Here are my test results and comments:

* Codec & Filter list: 'Set filter merit' should be disabled when you right-click on an ACM or VFW codec.

* I have VMware installed. GSpot will list the file "vmnc.dll" as missing. However the file is present and working correctly. I think something goes wrong when GSpot tries to instanciate the codec (or whatever it does to gather additional info). Let me know if I need to upload the file for you.

* GSpot does not yet recognize the file type of .amr files.

* Missing FourCC: l263 (small L) = Leadtools h264

* FLV file shows compatibility warning "Requires Flash 6+ capable player". Gabest's FLV splitter (SVN rev611 build) is capable of playing FLV files. Both splitting and decoding the FLV1/FLV4 video. So there isn't really a requirement for a special player.

* QuickTime v7 MOV files (containing H.264/AAC) are very similar to regular mp4 files. Perhaps you can add parsing of that specific type of MOV files when you add MP4 parsing.

* I have got a few Matroska files that contain a lot of different audio streams. Opening such a file in GSpot will freeze the system for short while (half a minute or so). After that GSpot will still be unresponsive (with 0% cpu usage), but I regain system control. Sample file.

* GSpot does not yet recognize the file type of .nsv (Nullsoft video).
Old 9th October 2006, 14:30   #62  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi Steve,

Great work with the new build...

Nice to see you've included the "MetaData" build information for MPEG-4 streams... Very useful

Many thanks for making the VOP information easier to understand too!

I like it mate

Cheers
Old 17th October 2006, 03:55   #63  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unskinnyboy View Post
Houston, we have a problem. On the whole file (which is a full length encode), GSpot reports 48000Hz 384 kb/s total (2 chnls), but on a sample cut out of it, GSpot says 48000Hz 384 kb/s total (5.1 chnls), the latter being the correct info.

Steve, I don't mind uploading the full file to you if it will help troubleshoot this issue. I will follow up with a PM.
This is fixed with the new build. GSpot v2.60 b01 detects the AC3 stream on my file correctly as 48000Hz 384 kb/s total , 6 chnls (3/2 .1) now.
Old 24th October 2006, 06:08   #64  |  Link
stegre
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

GSpot v2.60 b02 is available now, with a bunch of fixes (including some stuff I "broke" on the previous version;) and other updates I'll mention here and in more detail on the web page shortly.

BTW, The AC3 still wasn't completely right on even on b01; I found it often erroneously indicated ".1" (LFE) channel even when it wasn't present. I think it should finally be accurate now.
stegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 10:23   #65  |  Link
Jekill

Hi Steve, I have to make you a question about two files I've been testing with your latest versions.

The test files I'm dealing with are taken from DivXTest CD of DivXTest.com.
Here are the links to the single downloads:In particular, I encountered problems with the recognition of Packed Bitstream.
Reading the "posts" and "links" of this thread, I learned that NVOP should be the clue of Packed Bitstream.

The question is why with GSpot 252 b01.rar and GSpot 260 b00 NVOP is retrieved for both files while, using GSpot 260 b01 and GSpot 260 b02, it isn't detected for no one of them.

Am I wrong or there should be a problem with the files themselves?

The fact is that the two latest betas doesn't detect PB also for another file I created, for which, on the contrary, it was retrieved by the former versions.

Hope I've been useful.
Bye.

Last edited by Jekill; 25th October 2006 at 10:26.
Jekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 10:53   #66  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi Jekill,

Those particular, 1B-VOP, 2B-VOP and 3B-VOP clips were encoded separately and joined together into one continuous stream afterwards. The same was done with their GMC sample!

Meaning, neither are representitive of what you'll be able to encode yourself!

I recommend you forget about them and not consider using them!

Cheers
Old 25th October 2006, 19:47   #67  |  Link
Jekill

Ok, thanks a lot, SeeMoreDigital.
I didn't consider that.

Bye.
Old 26th October 2006, 05:55   #68  |  Link
stegre
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Actually, thanks, those files are interesting, regardless of how they were created. I haven't seen those before, and I'm going to take a closer look to decide if I'm reporting everything the way I think I should. It does seem that the NVOP "light" should be on, and I also had, in previous versions, a "Packed Bitstream" message in the container information area. It does seem like those should be present for the one file.

But yes, SMD, is correct in that they are "weird", as they were apparently created by setting the encoder to a certain setting (e.g. "1 B-Frame max"), encoding a segment, then changing the encoder parameters and encoding a different segment, etc, and then appending all the segments together. But there's nothing really "illegal" about doing that or the files themselves (not that I see so far, anyway) so I'm going to convince myself that I'm reporting it all correctly. For example, for a while the files say (and do) have "1 consec B-Frame", then they "2" for a while, and finally "3". And I do report "3 max consecutive B-Frames", which certainly would be the correct value for the file overall.

In fact if you press the "VGS" button on GSpot on those files, it visually shows an areas with one, then two, and then later three consecutive B-Frames (the green rectangles are the B-frames). And it shows occasional vertical blue bars which are "packed bitstream markers" on the file that's supposed to have them (see screenshot below), and not on the other file. So that much seems correct. But I'm not quite sure what's going on in the very beginning of these files, nor am I sure why I'm not displaying NVOP and/or "Packed Bitstream" message in the main dialog for the one file, as you've asked. Whatever's going on in the beginning may be confusing it, oir maybe I've just broken something. So thanks, I'll check into that.

PS I've been very busy which is why I haven't even updated my web site as to what's new in the latest version, nor responded to a lot of the previous questions here. Nor have I spent much time checking the app itself much yet ;) But I will do all that, soon as I can.
Old 26th October 2006, 08:23   #69  |  Link
Jekill

Ok, thanks for the regard.

So, as you explained in first notes of 2.60 version, it's possible to detect PB from vertical blue bars in VGS.
It's a good way and it does work well.
Hope you'll succed in solving NVOP "light" displaying problems.

Glad to be useful.

Bye.

Last edited by Jekill; 26th October 2006 at 08:30.
Old 28th October 2006, 07:02   #70  |  Link
bobbel

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the update.
It's an amazing app and it makes fun to play with

Have a nice weekend!
bobbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 00:36   #71  |  Link
unskinnyboy

"Copy All Lines to Clipboard as Text" doesn't work. I would expect it to copy all the entries under a section, but it copies only the last entry, whichever line I highlight. Under "Container", it copies only the AVI Overheard information and under "Userdata / Metadata", it keeps copying only the [USER] userdata string. Clearly a bug.

Build is v2.60 pß02.
Old 29th October 2006, 03:30   #72  |  Link
numaios

Thank you very much for this new version!

I've been using GSpot since a long time ago and it is essential to me. And even more now that I can see how many consecutive B-frames there are.

Added: I've analyzed an MP4 file encoded with Nero Recode 2 in AVC profile, with HE-AAC 5.1 audio, and it's reported as "MPEG-4 AAC LC" and "24000Hz 160 kb/s tot (6 chnls)". Maybe it's a problem with the metadata created by Nero Recode?

Last edited by numaios; 29th October 2006 at 03:40.
numaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 13:18   #73  |  Link
clsid

I have some suggestions for the tests at the bottom of GSpot:

I think the label "MS A/V" is a bit unclear. Perhaps you could rename it to "Render test".

It would be useful if the render log would display the details of the filters used in the DS graph (below the current info). I know I can hover over the filters to see their filenames. But I think it would be easier if the information was displayed more directly. For example just an enumeration of all filters in the graph with the following info: name, path + filename, clsid and file version. Similar to what the CCCP insurgent tool does.

A 'copy to clipboard' context-menu item would be a handy addition. So that people can post their render logs at forums, etc.
Old 1st November 2006, 07:33   #74  |  Link
stegre
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

OK, I'll get back to the above comments/suggestions/bug reports shortly, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekill View Post
...The question is why with GSpot 252 b01.rar and GSpot 260 b00 NVOP is retrieved for both files while, using GSpot 260 b01 and GSpot 260 b02, it isn't detected for no one of them....
Jekill is correct that the last version (or two?) had messed up NVOP / "packed bitsream" detection - there's now a b03 version which not only fixes but also enhances that whole area (screenshot below). I'll explain more later.

Old 1st November 2006, 14:40   #75  |  Link
Jekill

Hey, first I have to express my gratitude for the shown attention.

Great work.
I've tested your last release and found it really accurate, both in detecting "PB" presence and in distinguishing different packaging methods and frame kinds.

I found it very instructive and I'm sure it'll spread further knowledge, among people, about digital videos several characteristics.

Hi and good job...

Last edited by Jekill; 1st November 2006 at 22:52.
Old 5th November 2006, 01:10   #76  |  Link
unskinnyboy

On a Multipart OpenDML AVI 2+ GB, v2.60 pß03 reports wrong length, and hence wrong bitrate, Qf, everything. On the muxed file, where the real length was 02:06:18, GSpot said 1:52:59. I demuxed the video out and things got a bit better - GSpot now said the length was 02:04:15. Close, but no cigar.

In both cases, under the 'Container' info, GSpot says there are a few bytes unneeded junk at end of file. I don't remember seeing that with other 2+ GB files before. I don't have other 2+ GB files available immediately for testing that though. Not sure how I can help you troubleshoot this one, but if needed I can upload the full file to you. Or if you need more info, just ask.
Old 6th November 2006, 03:09   #77  |  Link
stegre
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

OK there's a version b04 already, addresses various things in this thread & others, I'll be back to discuss all the prev stuff, and meanwhile anyone please feel free to post comments on old or new stuff. Can't work or even post much myself for the next few days though, gotta get a bunch of stuff finalized in the next few days for next week's "trade show" related to my day job.
Old 6th November 2006, 07:37   #78  |  Link
JarrettH

thanks for updating. i'll switch back now!
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 01:01   #79  |  Link
numaios

Thanks for the new version

Is it possible to fix the AAC profile identification? It reports LC when it's actually HE.

Last edited by numaios; 7th November 2006 at 01:14. Reason: Mistranslation
numaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 06:23   #80  |  Link
unskinnyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegre View Post
OK there's a version b04 already, addresses various things in this thread & others, I'll be back to discuss all the prev stuff, and meanwhile anyone please feel free to post comments on old or new stuff. Can't work or even post much myself for the next few days though, gotta get a bunch of stuff finalized in the next few days for next week's "trade show" related to my day job.
The issue I reported about the incorrect length in my previous post is gone with ß04. Another thing bugging me though. The video is not being demuxed out for certain files (including the file with which I had the length issue), but for certain others, they are. The bitrate on the ones not being demuxed/scanned and right away reported are a bit off. Are you caching the values for files previously checked or something?