Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Closed Thread

Old 15th September 2006, 16:53   #201  |  Link
Insanenerd

Microsft is NOT happy...

Today I received this email regarding the hosting of FairUse4WM at BG4G.net. Comical to say the least...:

Demand for Immediate Take-Down: Notice of Infringing Activity

URL: http://www.bg4g.net/modules.php?name...etit&file_id=1
CASE #: 54768

15 September 2006

Dear Sir or Madam,

Microsoft has received information that the domain listed above, which appears to be on servers under your control, is offering unlicensed copies of, or is engaged in other unauthorized activities relating to copyrighted works published by Microsoft.

1. Identification of copyrighted works:

Copyrighted work(s):
Windows Media Player 10
Windows Media Player 11

Copyright owner:
Microsoft Corporation

2. Copyright infringing material or activity found at the following location(s): http://www.bg4g.net/modules.php?name...etit&file_id=1

The above location is offering 'Cracks' or 'Product Keys', intended to circumvent technical measures that control access to Microsoft's copyrighted works and that protect Microsoft's copyrights in those works.

3. Statement of authority:

The information in this notice is accurate, and I hereby certify under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft, the owner of the copyright(s) in the work(s) identified above. I have a good faith belief that none of the materials or activities listed above have been authorized by Microsoft, its agents, or the law.

We hereby give notice of these activities to you and request that you take expeditious action to remove or disable access to the material described above, and thereby prevent the unauthorized distribution of these cracks or product keys via your company's network.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us regarding what actions you take.

Yours sincerely,

James Young
Internet Investigator

on behalf of Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
United States of America

E-mail: Internet1@microsoft-antipiracy.com
Old 15th September 2006, 17:51   #202  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
The above location is offering 'Cracks' or 'Product Keys', intended to circumvent technical measures that control access to Microsoft's copyrighted works and that protect Microsoft's copyrights in those works.
is quite incorrect.. since when does Microsoft have copyrights on the music / movies protected by their DRM?
Old 15th September 2006, 18:29   #203  |  Link
Insanenerd

I love your angle
Old 15th September 2006, 22:02   #204  |  Link
garyhasbigfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9 View Post
is quite incorrect.. since when does Microsoft have copyrights on the music / movies protected by their DRM?
Please don't think I'm being snotty, because I'm not...
but don't they own the copyright on the DRM? I believe that's
their grounds and not the song/movie itself.

That's just my opinion though.
Old 16th September 2006, 00:22   #205  |  Link
Insanenerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhasbigfeet View Post
Please don't think I'm being snotty, because I'm not...
but don't they own the copyright on the DRM? I believe that's
their grounds and not the song/movie itself.

That's just my opinion though.
They do own the copyright to the DRM, but this program does not contain the DRM, it removes the DRM from a file a person legally has a right to.
Old 16th September 2006, 00:32   #206  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanenerd View Post
They do own the copyright to the DRM, but this program does not contain the DRM, it removes the DRM from a file a person legally has a right to.
Legally speaking they own copyright for *source code* for a particular DRM implementation, not to DRM as a method per se. Copyright does NOT cover idea, method etc. That's covered by a rather different legal tool called "patent".

Whenever DRM removal programs actually violate any drm-related patents, I cannot say since I dont' even know if any exist
Old 16th September 2006, 00:39   #207  |  Link
johner23

Quote:
it removes the DRM from a file a person legally has a right to
I agree: if I LEGALLY bought one file, music, dvd or whatever, I have the rights to listen/view and do whatever I want with my purchased copy! It's mine thing! Belongs to me!

And I wonder that some DRM laws are becoming very restrictives and non sense too, in many places around the world.

It seems they want to control/decide WHAT, WHERE, WHEN and HOW we should access our files/discs. In that restrictive behavior, FairUse4WM help us to have more freedom, above all.

Thanks for that program again !!

devil (johner)

Last edited by johner23; 16th September 2006 at 00:47.
Old 16th September 2006, 00:54   #208  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johner23 View Post
I agree: if I LEGALLY bought one file, music, dvd or whatever, I have the rights to listen/view and do whatever I want with my purchased copy! It's mine thing! Belongs to me!
legally speaking, you only have rights granted by copyright laws. Even if you own the dvd legally, you cannot e.g. rent it out or show people for money. You do have a right to make a backup copy for yourself, and thus FairUse4WM might help

P.S. if you are from Brazil, I don't think you should care about those "restrictive" copyright laws much anyway.
Old 16th September 2006, 00:59   #209  |  Link
zooper_ca

This works for me Thanks a Ton

Has anyone tried to use this on Yahoo Music subscription songs by chance?
Old 16th September 2006, 03:25   #210  |  Link
optimusprime

blackbox-keys.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtminer View Post
FU4WM 1.2-fix works fine with Amazon Unbox - scroll back to find that version.

You need to delete or rename the blackbox-keys.txt file in your "My Documents" folder, and extract new keys.
Fantastic - never knew there was a blackbox-keys.txt file! I nuked t and now I am back to gleeful unDRMing. Thanks much!!
Old 16th September 2006, 06:04   #211  |  Link
Insanenerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh View Post
Legally speaking they own copyright for *source code* for a particular DRM implementation, not to DRM as a method per se. Copyright does NOT cover idea, method etc. That's covered by a rather different legal tool called "patent".

Whenever DRM removal programs actually violate any drm-related patents, I cannot say since I dont' even know if any exist
Interesting... obviously the DRM would be patented by Microsoft... But is it a patent violation to un-DRM a file...Are there any cases on this before in the US?
Old 16th September 2006, 06:36   #212  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Who wants to be the first

I know of other hosts to FU4WM who have received the same letter (hardly surprising).

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
Old 16th September 2006, 10:42   #213  |  Link
drmgeek06

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprime View Post
Fantastic - never knew there was a blackbox-keys.txt file! I nuked t and now I am back to gleeful unDRMing. Thanks much!!
That doesn't always help with my files

With v1.2fixed I was able to unDRM all files played before the installation.
Then I downloaded some new files, played them, deleted blackbox-keys.txt, recovered keys with FairUse but now I get the message "... has an unexpected content key value.".
OK - now I downloaded some more files and some of them work fine, but some others don't (same error message).
The old files still working, too...

All files are from one and the same service :/

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

"DrmClien.DLL" has version 10.0.0.3802
"Indivbox.key" has version 10.0.0.3930

Regards
DG06
Old 16th September 2006, 12:06   #214  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
But is it a patent violation to un-DRM a file
I have yet to see any case in this particular area where a judge that understood technology would grant an injunction. The reason they can be successful with that angle is that courts don't have a clue about technology, yet still get to rule about what they don't understand. As an engineer, I find this quite insulting to everybody with technological knowledge.

Take Macrovision for example.. you don't need to know anything about the patents, and there are many professional level devices that have manual gain control, and thus can be used to strip Macrovision.. but manual gain control can hardly be construed as to violate Macrovision's patent (that you can get a patent on corrupting something is quite perverse in the first place).
Old 16th September 2006, 12:15   #215  |  Link
mayang
Totally Newbies

Quote:
All files are from one and the same service :/

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

"DrmClien.DLL" has version 10.0.0.3802
"Indivbox.key" has version 10.0.0.3930

Regards
DG06
FairUse4WM v1.1 will work fine for indivbox.key v10.0.0.3930
Yes, there are some files that you can't undrm.

Example:
1. Some files that need to acquire license for everytime you play. License information maybe temporarily saved then will be deleted when you close or stop playing the file.

2. Some files that have bad compression or damaged.

3. File partially downloaded and not finished like stream video.
Old 16th September 2006, 14:50   #216  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanenerd View Post
Interesting... obviously the DRM would be patented by Microsoft... But is it a patent violation to un-DRM a file...Are there any cases on this before in the US?

First of all, as I said, I don't know what patents M$ claimed for DRM. Next, if you find them in US patent office database, you need to read them and understand what exactly parts of DRM technology are patent-protected. Only then it's possible to answer the question.

It might be, and quite likely, that unDRM method doesn't violate the patent(s). In any case, that should be decided by a legal institution, not by M$ itself. So until they got some court decision regarding this possible violation, it's all ok.

I just hope, though, that FairUse doesn't use any code from M$ That would be illegal, of course (think DivX3).

Another matter is the DMCA. Can FairUse be considered a "crack" program? If so, then hosting of it is illegal under DMCA, to my knowledge. Luckily many countries in the world can't care less about DMCA (think Russia :P).
Old 16th September 2006, 16:58   #217  |  Link
buggs1a

zooper, works fine on yahoo music.
Old 16th September 2006, 17:10   #218  |  Link
buggs1a

Hey guys, for files that load a license when you open it you can drag the file over fairuse while the file is in the play or cancel window. So you open the file and it pops up the licence aquired screen and has the play button or cancel button to click on. Just drag the file over fairuse at that time. Or you can play the file and while it's playing drag it over the fairuse icon. For some files this is great because for some files you buy they still do that.
Old 17th September 2006, 08:57   #219  |  Link
drmgeek06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayang View Post
FairUse4WM v1.1 will work fine for indivbox.key v10.0.0.3930
Yes, there are some files that you can't undrm.

Example:
1. Some files that need to acquire license for everytime you play. License information maybe temporarily saved then will be deleted when you close or stop playing the file.

2. Some files that have bad compression or damaged.

3. File partially downloaded and not finished like stream video.
Hmm...
1. All files are licensed for 30 day use, so this shouldn't be the problem

2. I don't think that the files are damaged, because one complete CD works and another one completly doesn't work. And I never got any error messages...

3. Files should also be complete - if unDRMing works, it works for the whole CD. If it dosn't, it desn't for the whole CD...

I also don't think they'll change the kind of protection from file to file...

Regards
DG
Old 17th September 2006, 11:01   #220  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Files which you have a temporary licence for (eg 30 days) come under the restrictions of rule 6. Please follow this carefully.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
Closed Thread