Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 26th March 2006, 11:06   #1  |  Link
sbp

DIVX 6.2 beta

Hi DigitAl56k

I would like to try the new codec, but it is stated on the page that it will expire (it doesn't tell when - 3 or 6 months?)

I have a registered DIVX 6.1.1, what will happend with my DIVX pro 6.1.1 when the 6.2 Divx pro functionality stops after the beta period expires? Should 6.1.1 then be installed again?

Steen
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 16:18   #2  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Nice, I knew that new beta will show up about this time?

DigitAl56k, can you explain new features to us? And, what's the plans for the final version of DivX 6.2 codec?
Old 26th March 2006, 18:50   #3  |  Link
IgorC

New enhance texture provides more details (especially on low motion) but at cost of little blockness.

Quote:
" Enhance texture" is a new Psychovisual Enhancement method that improves quality for keyframes and reduces the appearance of stray blocks under fast motion. As with other Psychovisual Enhancement methods, the perceptual quality can be higher, although the PSNR metric RD performance is typically lower.
The step into right direction
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 22:00   #4  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

maybe digit is not replying seeing what kind of disrespect divx gets here. Cool new features, DivX rocks. Maybe the fools here forgot even their beloved xvid was a mod of divx.
fight2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 22:25   #5  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

umm....are you high? xvid is the open divx standard. it's not a mod of divx in fact you can be sure that almost none of the code looks the same or is organized the same. It's faster, higher quality, and completely free. I'm pretty sure that xvid is based on the open standard mpeg-4......not on divx.....divx is not mpeg-4...it's simply an implementation of the standard.

On the thought of divx getting disrespect I disagree with you. just because there is alot of discussion on people not liking divx that's simply a product preference, not disrespect. If I like a sony product over a toshiba product that doesn't mean I despise toshiba, it simply means I like sony better....see what I'm saying?

I happen to like their web player, just not the codec itself.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:31   #6  |  Link
manono

Cut it out, fight2win. You've been warned.

No need to take the bait, ChronoCross.
manono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:37   #7  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Hello all!

It's good to be back here on the forums! I've been a little absent of late due to some busy times at DivX, but I'll try to check in often for feedback or questions around the beta.

Steen: This particular beta will time-out mid-April. We will either have newer betas or a release version out by then, but if you like you can also re-install 6.1.1 over the top. None of your registration information will be lost.

Romario: We'll have some more feature changes before we go to release with 6.2, but in this beta we've added several performance and quality features.

For older processors, we've added an MMX version of the MPEG quantization method that will improve encoding rate around 22% (when using MPEG quantization).

For HT, SMP, Dual core processors we've added threading optimizations to the built-in resize filters. The gain in encoding rate will depend on your processor configuration and will be most noticable in the faster encoding modes. I see over 40% improvement in encoding rate on my Pentium D Extreme Edition CPU when encoding in Balanced (default) mode.

We also added an "Enhance threading" option whose benefit really depends upon the particular tools and processes you are using to encode, as well as your encoder settings. In the worst case you'll see no benefit from enabling this option, but in the typical case we see around 16% improvement. In the best case on my PDEE box I see up to 35% gain in encoding rate. For this beta, I'm particularly interested in how this option works in your favorite encoding applications. Let me know if you find any that have problems if this option is enabled.

Finally, we added an "Enhance texture" option that improves texture around keyframes and should reduce stray blocks under high motion (which are particularly visually disturbing at lower bitrates). I personally find this makes a large difference to facial texture around keyframes.

As always, thanks for helping us to test the next version of the codec. It is much appreciated.
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:42   #8  |  Link
bratao

Thank Divx guys for this version.
In 6.1.1 i get a too variable speed(always 30-50 fps) .
With 6.2 i get a solid 50 fps !
thank for this release !
bratao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 03:52   #9  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Two reminders:

In this beta version Enhanced texture is on by default. This means you will get better quality around keyframes but PSNR metric RD will be lower. Enhanced threading is off by default. You have to explicitly turn it on to use it. This is partly because we have not yet tested it with a wide range of applications (this is where you guys come in!).
Old 27th March 2006, 06:13   #10  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono
Cut it out, fight2win. You've been warned.

No need to take the bait, ChronoCross.
Warned for what? when u guys disrespect divx, no one warns u. when i say divx is good, i get a warning? Are u George Bush?
Old 27th March 2006, 07:06   #11  |  Link
manono

Warned for what?

Warned, and now struck, for a Rule 4 violation. If you think you've been treated unfairly, you can take it up with Doom9, following the procedure outlined here:

http://forum.doom9.org/sanctions.htm

If you're the same fellow that stirred up trouble some time back under the name of Neo_andreson, then I suggest you just lay low for awhile.
manono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 17:37   #12  |  Link
fight2win
What's in a name dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono
Warned for what?

Warned, and now struck, for a Rule 4 violation. If you think you've been treated unfairly, you can take it up with Doom9, following the procedure outlined here:

http://forum.doom9.org/sanctions.htm

If you're the same fellow that stirred up trouble some time back under the name of Neo_andreson, then I suggest you just lay low for awhile.
Old 27th March 2006, 18:04   #13  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Soooo.. about that beta..
Old 27th March 2006, 18:23   #14  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
I can't download new beta, I don't know why. Probably my slow dial-up connection is guilty for that. But, as soon I download 6.2 Beta 1, I will post results.
Old 27th March 2006, 21:03   #15  |  Link
IgorC

Looks like divx 6.2 came with usefull 3 pass.
Before Divx 6.1.1 didn't make noticeble difference.

divx 6.2 ( Insane 3 passes ) has the approx. same speed as divx 6.1.1 ( insane 2 passes) on onecore.
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:39   #16  |  Link
Avish

Hi DigitAl56K, looks like you are a DivX Official. So I wanted to ask this one question for a while about DivX that Why your bundles are so big in sizes? Play bundle is 15mb and Create bundle is almost 17mb. Most of the other codecs I know about, are below 1mb. So the size difference it Huge! Is it not for dial-up users? And is it not possible to provide only the Codec without player and any other stuff? I wanted to try this beta, but your site says that it's required to install the Create bundle first but I don't want to download it coz it's 17mb. So any solutions for this?
Avish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 22:46   #17  |  Link
Millenod

An other question to DigitAl56K

is it possible, as in older version, and other codecs, to don't have a icon in the systray when playing a movie?

divx6 looks very "heavy" to play a video...
it's very sad, on a P4c@3Ghz with 1Gb DDR.
I have the impression to use a not finished product. "xvid" looks better and fast to play movies (i'm playing movies with MPC)

but to encode movies, the profile named "extrem" is really good! perfect!
good job for the encoder!
And if you need testers, I hope you'll contact me.

regards

Last edited by Millenod; 27th March 2006 at 22:49.
Millenod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 23:06   #18  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Hi Avish:

Our bundles are a little larger than most codec downloads because they don't solely contain the codec. As well as the VFW codec and DirectShow decoder, there is also the DivX media file splitter, settings manager, update checker, DivX Player, DivX Web Player, DivX Converter [in the Create bundle], localized resources for all products for French, German, and Japanese, and yes, a couple of offers from Google

You need to install one of the bundles from our website to use this beta because to conserve file size I did not package all of the library dependancies with the beta installer itself.

A recent poll on DivX Labs revealed that for most people the download size was not the largest concern around our software, but we do agree that a smaller bundle containing the codec would also be nice and this is something Gej is looking into.

Unfortunately right now you will need to download one of the main bundles from DivX.com before you can use the beta.

Millenod: I added a method in 6.1 and later to disable the settings manager for specific applications. Using RegEdit, add the image name of your media player here:

HKLM\Software\DivXNetworks\DivX\SMExclusions

Another tip is that if you want to leave this on, exclude "DivXSM.exe" and "qt-dx331.dll" in your Windows\System32 folder from your anti-virus' real-time protection system. This will speed loading of this component.

Ultimately I also want to re-architect this piece of software to make it much lighter, it is just a case of resources and priorities for our team.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 27th March 2006 at 23:11.
Old 27th March 2006, 23:41   #19  |  Link
mod
keep manzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K
A recent poll on DivX Labs revealed that for most people the download size was not the largest concern around our software
We must say that a total of 720 votes isn't really a good statistic. I don't have any problem with 18 MB files, because I have a 6->8 mbit DSL, but a lot of people who already have downloaded all the stuff inside and just want to try the new codec can find this a little disappointing..
Old 28th March 2006, 02:00   #20  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod
We must say that a total of 720 votes isn't really a good statistic.
It is better than a total of 719!

Quote:
but a lot of people who already have downloaded all the stuff inside and just want to try the new codec can find this a little disappointing..
If they've already got all the stuff inside and want to install the beta they should have no problem You only need to download the bundle when you don't already have 6.1.1 installed.

Anyway, I accept your point that the bundle might be considered a large prerequisite for the beta codec by people with slow connections, but I hope most people will have 6.1.1 installed already.

How are you finding the beta version? Is it nice and stable in your video apps?