Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 3rd February 2006, 20:06   #1  |  Link
marsoupilami

=> Getting out the most of a scratched DVD

Backing up a scratched dvd could be a very boring job ...
Encountering an error many copy programs are terminating truncating the according file.
The better ones are prompting with 'retry/skip/abort' or whatever - also nice for wasting hours and hours...

A better retry strategy has h2cdimage coming from the german computer magazine ct - a very small console program which could be found at heise.de:

It creates an image file (iso) with an according 'flag file' where it remembers which sectors had been read so far.
Once a sector had been read successfully it would never touch it again.
Interrupting it with ^C You can continue whenever You want.
If You have access to a network You can put these two files into a shared folder - travelling with Your DVD from one drive to another You can collect all readable data.
Often read errors are a mechanical or thermal problem - opening & reclosing the drive or putting the disk in the freezer for a while could rescue some sectors...

The second step could be mounting this image with Daemon Tools and working on it DVD Decrypter

Works only with DVD (2k sectors) - not with CDs

hope this would be helpful

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

http://members.aon.at/marsoupilami/

Last edited by marsoupilami; 3rd February 2006 at 20:17.
marsoupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 20:21   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
It creates an image file (iso) with an according 'flag file' where it remembers which sectors had been read so far.
Once a sector had been read successfully it would never touch it again.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post but, what does the program do when it encounters unreadable sectors?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 20:43   #3  |  Link
marsoupilami

Hi!

As long as a sector had not been read it will be replaced bye a 'placeholder' (i think its 2k of '0xB0' bytes).
Whenever a retry is successful this pattern will be overwritten by the disks' data.

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Old 3rd February 2006, 20:48   #4  |  Link
WildWillyJohn

i did often used that tool, it is great!
first, it creates a dummy image from your scratched data-dvd (or data-cd, audio-cd is not supported).
then, it tries to read the dvd. if it finds an unreadable sector, it jumps randomly to another part of the disc. it jumps everytime it can't read a sector, that means, this tool reads all readable sectors very fast. when it tried every sector, it quits. clue is: now you try same dvd in another dvd-rom. the tool knows which sectors are missing and tries to read them again (with other dvd-rom) if you have 3 or more dvd-roms it is quite effectfull in recover often more than 90% of the dvd.
regards,
WWJ
WildWillyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:11   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

@marsoupilami

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:10   #6  |  Link
Ashed

I just got it and it seems it's ripping very slowly! It's been like 3 hours and only 30% is done.

Here's what it says now:

Quote:
25.9% gelesen, 3002839 fehlen, 32.9% probiert.
Does that mean 7% of the disc is currently unextractable?
Ashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 04:24   #7  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

If your german isnt too good (like mine) heres a link

http://www.heise.de/ct/05/16/links/078.shtml

Thanks for the info marsoupilami - i know this will come in handy for me!

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 31st March 2006, 06:17   #8  |  Link
canuckerfan

can anyone help me use this tool. I have a disc which i've tried ripping and there's always a couple sectors it can't read with every ripper. maybe this might work, problem is I know no German. help?
canuckerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 08:54   #9  |  Link
setarip_old

@canuckerfan

Hi!

What's the Title and Region number of your original, purchased DVD?
Old 1st April 2006, 02:22   #10  |  Link
canuckerfan

24 season 1 disc 3

Region 1 NTSC
Old 1st April 2006, 03:14   #11  |  Link
setarip_old

Sounds like you've got a physically damaged, poorly pressed, or dirty disc. The post at the link below is specifically regarding the same DVD:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...618#post377618
Old 1st April 2006, 06:01   #12  |  Link
canuckerfan

quite interesting. yea, decryptor says that there are unreadable sectors when it tries to rip. looks like this one is unrippable.
Old 1st April 2006, 07:59   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

You might want to try using DVDFab Decrypter (Different than DVD Decrypter), as it purportedly writes "dummy" sectors for bad sectors it encounters and keeps going.

Otherwise, return it to the place of purchase in exchange for a new replacement...
Old 1st April 2006, 20:33   #14  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

i had a disk that i had in my dvd player when i moved the player and it fell out of position.. when i turned it on the player scratched the dickens out of it. oh well.. should have backed it up first . this tool would come in handy reading the disk. especially accross several drives.
Old 2nd April 2006, 00:15   #15  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

btw.. for usage heres what i determined

h2cdimage 1:0:0 myiso1 -i

the '1:0:0' is for the drive..
0:0:0 is primary master
0:1:0 is primary slave
1:0:0 is secondary master
1:1:0 is secondary slave

myiso1 is the file name (h2cdimage will add the extension)

and -i is used if this is your initial creation.. ie myiso1.iso hasnt been created yet. in subsequent uses when you want to rip more data, you will not use -i so the new stuff will be added to the data you have already ripped
Old 8th April 2006, 03:39   #16  |  Link
LARRYB

scratched dvd's

For what is is worth.
A DJ told me some time back that he would use a yellow highlight marker and draw it over the scratched area. In alot of cases, on CD's it would recover the data and play the song.
I tried it on a scratched video DVD and it worked! I was able to back it up and play the scratched one without error.

Now I'm not saying this is a cure all for all scratches. In my case it was the scratches caused by the DVD not being in the carrier and then trying to close it.

Hey, if it works once then it's worth a try.

Larry
LARRYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 16:37   #17  |  Link
marsoupilami

A little late supplement ...

Just this weekend i tried to backup a very heavily used DVD (sold by a video club)

The 1st try with "h2cdimage" gave me about 50000 sectors missing - i guess that would be about the same result as turning on "ignore read errors" using DVDD (really a great program!!!).
12 hour later - using a alternative drive there where only about 1500 sectors missing.

At this point - where i thought "nothing more to loose" - i gave a try to curing the scatches with sprayable "silicone oil" - sold in Europe as "cockpit spray".
Five minutes later: 0 sectors missing!

It seems to have a good affinity to the hydrophobic plastic material and a similar refractional index - that's the point!

Hope this will help You!

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Old 18th May 2006, 03:38   #18  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Heres a rough (google) translation of the doco:

H2cdimage -- by Harald Bögeholz / c't Magazin für Computertechnik
Version 1.8, Copyright (C) 2005 Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co. KG
========================================================================

H2cdimage is meant for the data rescue from damaged CDs or DVDs. It produces a sector-wise image for CD or DVD in a file with the ending .iso. In a further file with the ending .h2i it notes, it could successfully read which sectors of the data medium so far. Recommendations regarding the correct employment from H2cdimage as well as explanations to the question, like one afterwards the saved files the image file extracted are located in the article to “silver puzzle, data of damaged CDs and DVDs save” in c't 16/05, P. 78. NOTE: In the present version H2cdimage supports only Data medium with 2048-Byte-Sektoren. With audio CDs and (S) VCDs it cannot deal.

Conditions for system
---------------------

H2cdimage is a command line program for Win32 and should under all 32-bittigen Windows versions run. It was tested mainly under Windows XP and in a random sampling way under Windows 98. Under Windows XP and the other NT descendants the program of administrator rights requires.

H2cdimage accesses over ASPI the drive assembly and needs for it the file Wnaspi32.dll. We provide their Wnaspi32.dll in version 2.0.1.74 in Zip archives of H2cdimage with friendly permission of the Nero AG. It must lie in the same listing how H2cdimage.exe and may be copied _nicht_ into a system file. Please you consider the use conditions of the Nero AG under http://www.nero.com/deu/WNASPI32.DLL.html.

The FAT Dateisystem limits files to a size of 4 GByte. In order to read a DVD in filled with more than 4 GByte, therefore NTFS is necessary.

Aufruf
------

Call H2cdimage as follows on the command line :

h2cdimage <a>:<t>:<l> <filename> [-i]

<filename> replace by the desired file name without extension. H2cdimage works then with the two files <filename>.iso (image) and <filename>.h2i. For the first call the option - i must be indicated for the creation of these files; without it H2cdimage supplements an existing image.

The numbers <a>, <t> and <l> address the drive assembly, (also with IDE drive assemblies) as SCSI equipment: <a> stands for the number of the adapter, <t> for the SCSI-ID and <l> for the LUN (Logical unit NUMBER, a Unternummerierung within the equipment; gabs times with CD change-over switches). Which address is correct, one finds out most simply by trying. With a call of H2cdimage without parameters a line should how between copyright message and assistance text

ASPI loaded. Number of adapters : 3

appear. In the example 3 (virtual) SCSI adapters were found, which are addressed via the numbers 0 to 2. Usually each IDE channel as well as each SCSI Hostadapter emerge as an adapter at the ASPI interface. With IDE devices the master has the ID 0, the Slave the ID 1, the LUN is in each case 0.

In a system with two IDE channels and without SCSI adapters thereby the following addresses apply:

0:0:0 - Master at the primary channel
0:1:0 - Slave at the primary channel
1:0:0 - Master at the secondary channel
1:1:0 - Slave at the secondary channel

With correct call H2cdimage indicates the name of the found drive assembly in the plain language, so that one finds the correct in the case of doubt by trying (best with intact CD or DVD test).

File formats
------------

H2cdimage produces two files. The.iso file contains sector-wise image of the complete data medium without any headers or other administrative information. Sectors, which (still) could not be read by the medium, are filled in the image with the Hex value 0xB0. A complete.iso file can be burned with usual fuel programs 1:1 on a new medium or be merged with programs like the Daemon Tools as virtual drive assembly into the system.

The .h2i-Datei contains of the image file a byte, which states for each sector whether this sector was successfully read. Byte 0 belongs to sector 0 image, byte 1 to sector 1 and so on. The indication “_” meant that the associated sector was not read yet, every other indication means that the sector contains valid data.

Within the successfully read ranges H2cdimage uses the flag bytes, in order to indicate sequentially the sector numbers in the plain language. One .h2i-Datei begins thus in such a way:

0*********10********20********30********40********50********60** ...

and a range, within which isolated read errors arose, could look for example in such a way:

_____7090*****27100*_***27110**_**27120***_*27130*****27140***** ...

By a .h2i-Datei into an editor of its choice loading (by the Windows Bordmitteln Wordpad is recommended; Note PAD employs itself dusselig), can count one so with the naked eye the numbers of the incorrect sectors. In the example (among other things) the sector 27106 is incorrect.

Questions and suggestions
---------------------

Questions to H2cdimage address you please by E-Mail (in German or English language) to bo@ct.heise.de (Harald bending wood). I will take the liberty to ignore questions, which are answered into the following FAQ.

FAQ
---

? I do not keep the message “ASPI found when starting from H2cdimage.”

! This or the message “error when initializing ASPI.” it points on the fact that the file Wnaspi32.dll was not found or an incompatible version is present. Guarantee that itself the Wnaspi32.dll in the same, supplied with H2cdimage Listing finds like H2cdimage.

? With a video DVD H2cdimage supplies nearly only read errors, although the scratches look actually not at all so bad.

! This symptom withdraws with video DVDs, those with the content Scrambling system (CSS) are copy-protected. If you allude the DVD briefly first with a Playersoftware, them should be able to be selected afterwards with H2cdimage. H2cdimage has however no function for the evasion of the copy protection. The produced image file contains therefore with a CSS protected video DVD the coded data; on the DVD stored keys is missing. The film does not leave itself thus without the employment of software illegal after German copyright also then play, if one burns it a blank.

? Why does it last so long, before H2cdimage begins finally to read of my DVD?

! Since H2cdimage for incorrect data media is meant and in addition it is so built that one can break it off at any time through pressures of Strg+C, writes it first the entire image file on the plate, gefült with the Hex value 0xb0. That can last particularly with the image of a DVD quite a while. Only if the image file is put on on the plate completely, H2cdimage begins with the reading of the data medium in.

? What do the numbers and percentage figures, which H2cdimage spends during the work, mean?

! If one calls H2cdimage again for the addition of an existing image, a typical expenditure looks for example in such a way:

H2cdimage -- by Harald bending wood/c't magazine for computer engineering version 1.8, copyright (C) 2005 Heise magazines publishing house GmbH & CO. Kg ASPI loaded. Number of adapters: 3 Equipment: AOPEN DVD1648/AAP 1,04 (05 80 00 31 3A 00 00 00) Entirely: 347992 sectors, sector size: 2048 To read in still 31059 of 347992 sectors. 92,0% read, 27811 are missing, to 10,6% tried. #28935 reads

When starting of H2cdimage still 31059 sectors were thus missing in the image. From these the program tried one after the other and tried for the moment 10.6% up-to-date straight to read sector number 28935. Altogether to time in the image still 27811 sectors are missing (of at the beginning of 31059 are missing could in this run thus already some are restored), the image is thereby altogether to 92,0% complete.

The %-indication “tried” goes through thus during a run of H2cdimage from 0 to 100%.

? H2cdimage puts on an image file and goes through completely to 100%, reads in however not one sector successfully. At the end stands there

0,0% read, 324497 are missing, to 100,0% tried. #314781 reads 0 sectors successfully read. Apparent it does not read also at all from the data medium, because during the whole time the drive assembly LED does not flash.

! We observed this symptom with audio CDs. In that H2cdimage only data medium with 2048-Byte-Sektoren supports present version. With audio CDs and (S) VCDs it cannot deal.

[end]

The following tips might be useful
"
Entirely: 347992 sectors, sector size: 2048 To read in still 31059 of 347992 sectors. 92,0% read, 27811 are missing, to 10,6% tried. #28935 reads
"

The number 27811 is the important one - this tells you how many sectors are still missing (bad) - once this reads 0 your done. It is not unusual for the program to say 100.0% read and have a heap of sectors still 'missing/bad'.

Once you have a good ISO image, another message (a one liner from memory) is displayed on the end of the 'normal' screen you see when its reading - susequent runs will show you the same message. You can double-check its got a good read on every sector by opening the .h2i file (with wordpad) and searching for an underscore _ if you find one its not finished, if you dont find one - then youve got a good ISO :-)

NOTE: On the first run, the drive does nothing for AGES - what its doing is filling an ISO file with empty-markers (the ISO file is made from the size of the DVD youve got in the drive). Once its finished this, it will start doing the first read and populating the 'blank' ISO with data.

Subsequent reads (run the same command line without the -i) will get you more data out (to a point) so its worth running it a few times (or more) on the one drive (ive got a CMD batch file that just keeps running it in a continuos loop (until I break out of it)).

Just because the disc couldnt be read completely in the first drive you try doesnt mean it wont get any more data out of the disc if you try it again after extracting some data in another drive e.g. If you do your initial read in drive 1 and it gets all but 2000 sectors, you run it again in drive 2 and it gets more data out leaving 1500 sectors - you can put it back into drive 1 and may find it gets more sectors out.

I ran it lastnight on a disc that was really badly scratched. I'd been trying to get a good read off it with DVD Decrypter for DAYS (im talking thousands of retries). Took me a couple of hours to get a 100% image using H2CDIMAGE and two DVD drives (liteon dvd-rom and a pioneer burner). The liteon got all but 1700 odd, the pioneer got all but 1, the I stuck it back in the liteon and it got the last one! (sharing a network drive so I could work on the same files from two different machines). BTW: The pioneer didnt get far on dvd-decypter and bombed out really quick - far quicker than the liteon.

With regard to magic DIY fixes for scratches using stuff around your house:

PS: Yellow magic marker (heighlighter) didnt do anything for me - it beads on the disc and is a PITA - dry tips can scratch the disc too so be careful!

Silicon Spray can be useful - it looks mirror finish but up close looking at a reflected light-bulb you see the reflection if not clear - if you use too much the disc is unreadable. Try spraying a tiny bit on (and I mean a few droplets around the disc), and rubbing it over the surface with paper towel - you'll see it 'hide' the scratches as you go. You can experiment with it - it comes off easy enough with some 'eye glassess cleaner' or other cleaning agent (like windex Ive used it to get some better reads out of some rental discs. Try to keep the center of the disc clean - if your dvd drive cant read the center, it wont read the disc at all.

Toothpaste can be useful - I use a mars rubber-eraser (like a pencil erasor) to get a more even pressure/rub on the disc - if you use a small thing like a cue-tip you'll badly scratch the disc. I think this works by breaking up larger scratches into smaller ones.. You need to CLEAN the disc after using the toothpaste method (and I mean under a tap to get it all off) - your disc will be all minty fresh too :-) The paste is better than the gel (you need the abrasive particles) - a whitening or tartar one will bite into the disc more than a plain paste

Car Polish / liquid wax - never really had any sucess with this.
Car - quick detailer (spary) - not much good either.

IF using DVD Decrypter - when you get the message 'read error - ignore, cancel retry' - you can open the tray of the dvd-rom with a paperclip/small allenkey and take the disc out and adjust your silicon spray (or clean it and re-silicon, or just clean it) then put it back in - once the tray is closed WAIT for the disc to be read properly becore hitting RETRY - if the disc cant be read at all, take it out and clean it off, and try loading it again - ONLY HIT RETRY ONCE THE DVD-ROM HAS ACKNOWLEDGED THERE IS A DISC IN THERE - otherwise DVDD will bomb out/the rom will NOT read anything until you restart DVDD. Also set yout retries to the MAX level - this saves you clicking retry all the time and/or cleaning/siliconing the disc!

TIP: After its got a couple of bytes and has failed again, pull the disc out when you see the retry screen and clean it if it was allready loaded with silicon, or silicon it (or adjust the amount of silicon on it) - you will find you'll get some more bytes out of it.

If your really stuck Try heating the disc slightly, or cooling it slightly (heating with indirect heat - like with a heat-pack) or chuck it in the fridge for a minute - this sometimes allows the reader to get some more bytes out of it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Doing ANY of the DIY 'magical' methods might PERMANENTLY RUIN YOUR DVD or RUIN YOUR DVD-DRIVE (if some silicon gets in there etc). DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cheers,
Bitey

Last edited by Mr.Bitey; 18th May 2006 at 03:41.
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:25   #19  |  Link
mordant

I just wanted to thank everyone for bringing this little program to my attention. I have a double DVD training video that is no longer being made, which was damaged. I had not been able to salvage more than half of it with DVDdecrypter ect, but was able to get the whole of both discs with this tool. Fantastic!
mordant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:06   #20  |  Link
TomBrooklyn

How do you use h2cimage. I opened it up and all I saw was what looked like a DOS window. I wasn't even able to type any commands into it like "help." After a few minutes the window closed by itself. It just went away.
TomBrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote