Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st February 2006, 16:26   #201  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe
 
Richard Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,212
@Mutant_Fruit: you raise good points. I think in the end auto-update needs to be an all-or-nothing feature. If you want to use it, don't screw around with your own builds. Once you accept that POV, the only hard task is making it so good that nobody wants to use anything else
Richard Berg is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 17:29   #202  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer
 
dimzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,727
How about to add OggTheora support?
dimzon is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 17:48   #203  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?
 
ChronoCross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,542
@berrinam
I'll check out the script templating tonight. Thanks
@dimzon
Thanks for the info on the neroraw folder. So basically all audio dll's go in there and that's where meGUI looks? I'll test it out later(at work right now).
ChronoCross is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 17:50   #204  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer
 
dimzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
So basically all audio dll's go in there and that's where meGUI looks?
I'm afraid you take me wrong. Not all audio dll's but nero aac related
dimzon is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 18:26   #205  |  Link
acidsex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 492
I havent had a chance to read through the other requests so Im not sure what has been requested/discussed with regards to auto updates.

I particularily like the way Stax has the auto updates. Simply goes and gets the files needed and doesnt force most users to have to fiddle with different downloads and making sure they are in the right place.

Using the latest build of MeGUI has been bad for me. For some reason I cant get AC3 encoded to AAC 5.1 using Avisynth method so I opted to use BeSweet for encoding instead. Now Im pretty sure I borked something somewhere along the way when using this new build and following the MeGUI guide but having everything auto downloaded/updated would save a lot of headaches for those that just want to get right to the encoding and spend less time configuring and putting programs in the right places etc... By using the download/update similar to Stax, then users wouldnt need to declare where programs reside in order for MeGUI to work which honestly should make bugs much easier to track down since those that use th dl/update would pretty much have the same setup across the board.

Is this actually going to happen and if so, any time soon?
acidsex is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 18:30   #206  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer
 
dimzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidsex
For some reason I cant get AC3 encoded to AAC 5.1 using Avisynth method
Please, post bug report @ MeGUI bug thread!
dimzon is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 18:32   #207  |  Link
acidsex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 492
Im not reporting a bug until I have time to figure out if I did something incorrectly. I dont want to report false bugs

The only reason I mentioned this was to show that an auto d/update would help prevent problems like I have (my own errors.)
acidsex is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 19:28   #208  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?
 
ChronoCross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
I'm afraid you take me wrong. Not all audio dll's but nero aac related
ah so is there a possibility to rather than just have a folder for nero aac to make just a general audio folder where it looks for all audio apps and dll's?
ChronoCross is offline  
Old 1st February 2006, 19:35   #209  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer
 
dimzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
ah so is there a possibility to rather than just have a folder for nero aac to make just a general audio folder where it looks for all audio apps and dll's?
yes, it's possible
dimzon is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 17:59   #210  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull
 
Morte66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 397
On the "Queue" tab, there's a checkbox labelled "Shutdown at end of encoding". I suggest renaming that to "Shutdown MeGUI at end of encoding" or "Shutdown PC at end of encoding", to match whichever it does.

If it just closes down MeGUI, it would be nice to have the option to shut down the PC too.
Morte66 is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:03   #211  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 10,570
You can't shutdown an application.. that term is only valid for an operation system. An application can be closed though.
__________________
For the web's most comprehensive collection of DVD backup guides go to www.doom9.org
Doom9 is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 19:09   #212  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer
 
dimzon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
You can't shutdown an application.. that term is only valid for an operation system. An application can be closed though.
For non-english-spoken users it can be same (like must && shoud)
dimzon is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:58   #213  |  Link
iceborne
Registered User
 
iceborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 43
i don't know if this has been mentioned but here's hoping for
Winamp aacPlus Multichannel support
iceborne is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:58   #214  |  Link
Raithmir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 51
Another request for a tick box to enable/disable the resizing (like you can with cropping). If you're resizing it's great and you can rely on MeGUI getting the SAR right... if you don't want to resize (most of my encodes are done to 1/3 or 1/4 DVD so I've no need to resize) then you have to work out the SAR yourself... and there's still confusion in that respect.

Case in point - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106656
Raithmir is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:27   #215  |  Link
berrinam
Registered User
 
berrinam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithmir
Another request for a tick box to enable/disable the resizing (like you can with cropping). If you're resizing it's great and you can rely on MeGUI getting the SAR right... if you don't want to resize (most of my encodes are done to 1/3 or 1/4 DVD so I've no need to resize) then you have to work out the SAR yourself... and there's still confusion in that respect.

Case in point - http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106656
While it may be a good idea to be able to turn resizing off, SAR calculation is no longer an issue in MeGUI; everything is now Display Aspect Ratio, which makes it MUCH simpler for the user -- you just have to enter 4:3, 16:9, etc, and MeGUI will do whatever conversions are required for this (don't be fooled by the fact that it still says SAR all over the place... that's just because the code has been updated, but not the GUI).

And this is another example of where AviSynth templates come in useful -- until the resizing checkbox is implemented (if it is), and you want to do a lot of encoding, then what you should do is create a custom avisynth profile in the script creator, and make it the same as the Default Profile, except without the <resize> line. This will mean that MeGUI doesn't put any resizing in, so if you always use that profile, then you will have a solution for what (I think) you are asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceborne
i don't know if this has been mentioned but here's hoping for
Winamp aacPlus Multichannel support
I second that request, because it supplies a wider variety of codecs, and Winamp AAC is better than Nero's for low-bitrate speech. However, along with Ogg Vorbis, I believe this will have to wait for the audio refactoring (code clean-up).
berrinam is offline  
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:36   #216  |  Link
Raithmir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
While it may be a good idea to be able to turn resizing off, SAR calculation is no longer an issue in MeGUI; everything is now Display Aspect Ratio, which makes it MUCH simpler for the user -- you just have to enter 4:3, 16:9, etc, and MeGUI will do whatever conversions are required for this (don't be fooled by the fact that it still says SAR all over the place... that's just because the code has been updated, but not the GUI).
But MeGUI calculates the SAR on the assumption that you will be cropping AND resizing does it not? If you use MeGUI to create your AVISynth script and then just remove the resize line (or presumably remove it from the profile as you suggest) then the SAR is not going to be correct?
Raithmir is offline  
Old 4th February 2006, 00:13   #217  |  Link
berrinam
Registered User
 
berrinam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithmir
But MeGUI calculates the SAR on the assumption that you will be cropping AND resizing does it not? If you use MeGUI to create your AVISynth script and then just remove the resize line (or presumably remove it from the profile as you suggest) then the SAR is not going to be correct?
MeGUI now uses DAR, not SAR. So calculation of SAR is a moot point.... and calculation of DAR is independant of the resolution, which makes it more intuitive.

Just rest assured that everywhere that you can edit the Aspect Ratio in MeGUI, it is DAR, which doesn't depend on the resolution. So you should have no problems (assuming you are using 0.2.3.2059 or later). You should see in the script creator that it now recommends Aspect Ratios of things like 16:9, 4:3, 1:1, 47:20, 37:20. These are Display Aspect Ratios, and they are used throughout MeGUI. Don't worry about the effects of resizing -- only cropping is relevant.
berrinam is offline  
Old 6th February 2006, 08:13   #218  |  Link
bkman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 294
This is a very basic request, but can you add "time elapsed" for completed jobs. Time start and end gives you this info anyway, but it takes seconds longer to work out
bkman is offline  
Old 6th February 2006, 19:10   #219  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe
 
Richard Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,212
The queue window already requires horizontal scrolling, which is really ugly / hard to use. I'm not against adding more columns (I wanted to show the date, for instance, since most of my encodes take >1 day) but before we take suggestions like these we need to either (a) make the window a lot wider (b) make it resizable.
Richard Berg is offline  
Old 7th February 2006, 07:42   #220  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?
 
ChronoCross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,542
Ability to edit the commandline for the lossless pre-render job. Thanks
ChronoCross is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.