Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th November 2005, 03:02   #21  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias
As far as I can tell, those posts had nothing to do with my statement.
bill may writes that mpeg4ip rewrites the file and therefore the bitrate gets modified to the correct value aka changes

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 03:06   #22  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
bill may writes that mpeg4ip rewrites the file and therefore the bitrate gets modified to the correct value aka changes
So the values are actually inaccurate by default in every non-meta tagged (winamp style) mp4 file?
Old 5th November 2005, 03:13   #23  |  Link
bond

ups i linked to the wrong thread before, the right one is this

Quote:
So the values are actually inaccurate by default in every non-meta tagged (winamp style) mp4 file?
no, i didnt say that
i only said that mpeg4ip based tagging solutions seem to rewrite the stream when tagging, which means that it recalculates the bitrate of the stream which means that it can differ from the original bitrate signalled in the stream

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th November 2005, 08:47   #24  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

Quote:
i only said that mpeg4ip based tagging solutions seem to rewrite the stream when tagging, which means that it recalculates the bitrate of the stream which means that it can differ from the original bitrate signalled in the stream
Well as long as it doesn't hurt the mp4 file, or modify it into some incompatible way concerning the mp4 standard, that somehow hurts its compatibility in soft/hardware players, then I'm cool with it.

But I've noticed that the free space atom disappears after the meta tagging. Is this where the meta tags are stored, and after meta tagging, it doesn't show up in dumpster because it's not MPEG-4 compliant? What purpose is the free space atom for anyway?

Last edited by Elias; 5th November 2005 at 08:52.
Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 12:36   #25  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

I just noticed that the latest Winamp release (5.11) doesn't change the bitrate any longer when meta tagging mp4 files. At least so far with the tests I've done. Does this mean that older Winamp versions handled iTunes mp4 tags in an improper way?

By the way, Gabest has now added reading for this style of meta tagging in mp4
Old 5th November 2005, 12:56   #26  |  Link
bond

Quote:
I just noticed that the latest Winamp release (5.11) doesn't change the bitrate any longer when meta tagging mp4 files. At least so far with the tests I've done. Does this mean that older Winamp versions handled iTunes mp4 tags in an improper way?
no, it propably doesnt tag by using mpeg4ip anymore? or you didnt use the faad2 based plugin (which is based on mpeg4ip)

Quote:
By the way, Gabest has now added reading for this style of meta tagging in mp4
great! that is itunes tags i assume?

Quote:
But I've noticed that the free space atom disappears after the meta tagging. Is this where the meta tags are stored, and after meta tagging, it doesn't show up in dumpster because it's not MPEG-4 compliant? What purpose is the free space atom for anyway?
afaik the itunes files have this free space atom. its definitely not needed for anything regarding the specs. the itunesstyle tags are stored in the udta atom

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th November 2005, 13:04   #27  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

Quote:
no, it propably doesnt tag by using mpeg4ip anymore? or you didnt use the faad2 based plugin (which is based on mpeg4ip)
I don't know, I've never chosen a plugin when tagging with Winamp. Only used Winamp's built in mp4 meta tagging options. But I think that this one has been changed or modified nowadays anyway, because the old one couldn't read the entire search path if you marked it with the mouse and pulled the mouse to the right (provided that it had a longer name than the url field in the view info window).

Quote:
great! that is itunes tags i assume?
I thought you were against this since it wasn't complying to any mpeg-4 standard? I'll have to install iTunes and check this up, but mpc can now read the meta tags done by winamp, that's for sure. I don't want to install iTunes anyway, since I don't like that player, but I guess I'll have to yield for the sake experimenting

Quote:
afaik the itunes files have this free space atom. its definitely not needed for anything regarding the specs. the itunesstyle tags are stored in the udta atom
The free space atom was there before meta tagged, after the meta tag, it disappeared. I didn't use iTunes.

Last edited by Elias; 5th November 2005 at 13:12.
Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 13:29   #28  |  Link
bond

Quote:
but mpc can now read the meta tags done by winamp, that's for sure. I don't want to install iTunes anyway, since I don't like that player, but I guess I'll have to yield for the sake experimenting
yep these are itunes style tags

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 5th November 2005, 13:31   #29  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

Quote:
yep these are itunes style tags
Then they should be safe for use?
Old 5th November 2005, 13:44   #30  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Then they should be safe for use?
if winamp reverse engineered the itunes tags correctly, yes

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th November 2005, 01:28   #31  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

I can now report that the mp4 meta tags that Winamp 5.11 does, is shown in QT 7.0.3 in the information window. These tags are the ones that show up in mpc as well. Although not part of the MPEG-4 iso standard, this tagging system is the closest we got imho.
Old 20th November 2005, 09:13   #32  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

The Winamp 5.11 mp4 tags also show up in iTunes, in case anyone here cares
Old 26th November 2005, 15:23   #33  |  Link
bond

tg tags also seem to be shown correctly in quicktime, but you have to be aware that for setting extended characters with tg you need to do the following procedure i described here for getting correct utf-8 tags

tags sets by mp4tags of mpeg4ip dont show up in quicktime, so i assume this tool doesnt tag correctly and shouldnt be used

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 16th December 2005, 12:39   #34  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Heya,

I've just made my own function to convert unicode to UTF8 strings. So, now we are able to tag properly mp4 and/or m4a files.

To test, you need :
This is a debug version, so please test it.

If it's ok for you, I'll included it into Yamb. Last point : mp4tags doesn't screw up chapters files embedded in mp4 files.

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 16th December 2005 at 12:42.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 12:48   #35  |  Link
bond

seems to work fine! qt displays the subs as it should

i assume you changed something in the sources of mp4tags? if yes, what? how do you handle the utf-8 input/output mismatch problem?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 16th December 2005, 12:50   #36  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

@Kurtnoise: did you try to check with iTunes? It might be good to check with iTunes just to be on the safe side.
Old 16th December 2005, 12:53   #37  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD

Hi Kurt,

Could it be developed and tested as a totally separate tool from YAMB also?

Cheers
Old 16th December 2005, 13:08   #38  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD

Quote:
@Kurtnoise: did you try to check with iTunes? It might be good to check with iTunes just to be on the safe side.
It does not seem to work with iTunes.

However, the MetaData information is displayed in mp4UI, Foobar2000 and bizarrely, QuickTime 7 player.

EDIT: It does work with iTunes but only if the file extension is .M4A (not .MP4).

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 16th December 2005 at 13:24.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 13:12   #39  |  Link
Elias
MPEG-4 Crazy Lunatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
It does not seem to work with iTunes.

However, the MetaData information is displayed in mp4UI, Foobar2000 and bizarrely, QuickTime 7 player.
iTunes is b0rked, seriously. It can't tag mp4 files properly (or I never managed to do it).
Old 16th December 2005, 13:22   #40  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD

Quote:
iTunes is b0rked, seriously. It can't tag mp4 files properly (or I never managed to do it).
Actually, I've just discovered Kurt's tool does work with iTunes......

But you have to change the file extension from .MP4 to .M4A