Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 1st October 2005, 21:22   #1  |  Link
thunder74

AC3 playback via SPDIF in Windows Media Player

Hey all

Got a question regarding AC3 playback thru Windows Media Player. I've got AC3Filter installed, however it doesn't seem to want to work with media player at all. I'm running on a SPDIF pass thru on an M-Audio firewire Audiophile, and it always downmixes the AC3 files to stereo.

I know my installation of AC3filter and sound card drivers is good, since Zoomplayer will play back AC3 encoded files with no problem. The reason I want to try and get media player to work is that I'm using beyond media basic as my HT front end, and its nice, large-icon interface for video playback is based around WMP.

Anyone ever get it working?
thunder74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 22:22   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi thunder74, welcome to the forum....

Here's a thought. When running WMP try going to: -

Tools -> Options -> DVD -> Advanced.... And see what appears!

You might have access to AC3 filter in there.

Cheers

EDIT: You might want to try using FFdshow's filters instead of AC3 Filter. I currently have the Sep 20 2005 build installed and it works a charm with all my media players (including WMP 10).

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 1st October 2005 at 22:28.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 19:12   #3  |  Link
thunder74

The AC3Filter dialog shows up under that tab, however it still won't pass thru any AC3 audio. I'll try the FFdshow filters tho.
thunder74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2005, 19:46   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

If you decide to install FFdshow here are some screen shots of the settings you will need to select: -

Primary Settings: For "AC3 and/or "DTS" playback via S/PDIF: -

Secondary Settings: For "All Other Audio Formats", such as AAC to be transcoded and passed via S/PDIF: -

Here's where you can ReSample all your input audio formats so their output sample rates are suitable for use with your DSS external amplifier: -

Here's where you can maximise the AC3 output bit-stream: -

If you go with the above, I would recommend you completely remove AC3 Filter....

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 19th June 2006 at 16:35.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 00:11   #5  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Is there a quality difference between AC3Filter and the one provided by ffdshow?
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 08:35   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpheMeroN
Is there a quality difference between AC3Filter and the one provided by ffdshow?
Actually no.... not if all you want to do is pass AC3 and/or DTS audio signals to your external DSS amplifier/decoder.... And I've amended my previous post slightly to show this....

So if all anybody wants to do is pass AC3 and or DTS streams via S/PDIF to an external DSS amplifier/decoder, use the "Primary Settings" only!

If later on you decide you would like to pass other audio stream types, such as AAC, Vorbis etc via S/PDIF to your external DSS amplifier/decoder, use the "Secondary Settings".... as these should allow you to "transcode" most types of audio "on-the-fly" to AC3

Cheers